Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Plasma or LCD? 3140

Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,460 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Plasma or LCD?
« on: October 20, 2008, 05:04:16 AM »
I'll be looking for a new TV in the new year, and I am just starting to do some research now, and I thought I'd see what some of you guys think.  For the most part, I am looking for 42-46" mostly for watching DVD movies- no BlueRay here.  I have digital cable, although it's not HD (it may be next year sometime though) but that's not all that important to me.

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice?

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 61,643
Re: Plasma or LCD?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 05:18:50 AM »
Whether this has changed or not a Plasma TV has more likely hood of burning out in so many years (but this may not be true with the newer ones)  I prefer the LCD TVs they for some reason or another have just drawn my attention and seem very clear.  In fact I use a 20 inch LCD TV as my PC monitor and it looks phenominal. 

Minus the first reason for not getting the plasma it probably boils down to preference (by the buyer and the salesman) Good luck on finding one Boss in whatever direction you take :tu:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,261
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 05:25:31 AM »
What I have to say about Plasma vs. LCD is mostly subjective.  My suggestion is to read some facts about them, and decide, after looking at several TVs in person, what is best for you.

Here are some great facts:

http://tv.suite101.com/article.cfm/lcd_vs_plasma_vs_dlp

I will comment about DLP however.  I think they look terrible and would hate to spend the money on bulb maintenance costs over the long term.

- Terry

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me...
No Life Club Posts: 4,062
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 09:44:38 AM »
Depends what yer doing.

I have nothing useful to add, just upping my post count.
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,460 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 02:11:27 PM »
I have a 19" LCD monitor on one computer and a 22" wide on my other computer and a 15.4" LCD on my laptop... I am happy with LCD's, I just thought I would look into it more.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
Administrator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,426 I am geek, hear me code
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 02:20:28 PM »
You mean you're finally calling it a day for the beast?

For the size you're looking at Plasma seems to be the way to go if you're not going to have a static image on the screen for a long period.

LCD will have a longer lifespan, but has some blurring issues with fast moving images, apparently plasma gradually loses some brightness over time... I assume you'll be plugging a PVR into it as well... just make sure you have a screensaver/power save enabled to turn off the screen if it's inactive too long.

tell the wife either would make a nice birthday present ;)

Listen to our Metal Radio Show: https://www.mixcloud.com/sexto9
No Life Club Posts: 1,681

cgk

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 02:28:28 PM »
Power point projector!!!!  Sure the clarity isn't there but watching a movie on a 12 foot (or bigger) screen....awesome.  O.k. I know thats not a viable option for a living room tv so I say LCD but wait until after Thanksgiving (US...I know you just had yours).  An economist said electronic items will be dropping in price and he gave the example of an LCD tv dropping to about half price near Christmas.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 13,375 Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 02:53:33 PM »
I deliberated with this a few years ago, and eventually elected for Plasma.

The decision was a bit easier then though, as LCD was only available at 42" for silly money, but I finally made my mind up by going into a big electrical showroom and watching TV for a bit.

Of all the different models on display, the Panasonic Viera Plasma stood out on picture clarity, brightness etc, so I bought one of the internet that night when I got home.

I haven't regretted it yet!

There's a wealth of information out there though, I'd try and absorb as much of it as you can stomach, as it would be an expensive mistake. Choosing the right size screen for the room it will be in is as critical as choosing the technology IMO. Surprising it may be, it IS possible to have a screen that's too big!

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 03:01:54 PM »
I currently still only have a CRT 29 inch (non-wide) and for our living room is about as big as we should have... the room is pretty narrow... if we were to upgrade I'd probably look at the 37inch widescreen... my inlaws have a 42 or something ridiculous, and it looks WAY too big for the tiny room it's in.

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 03:53:33 PM »
37" is the smallest I'd consider going.  If I'm going to upgrade, I want to make it worthwhile.  Right now I have a 20" CRT that I got for less than $200 at Zellers (like Wal Mart) about 6-7 years ago.  It still works fine, but since my computer monitors are the same size or larger, it seems like the right thing to do.  Of course the CRT still works, and my Scottish genes bristle at the idea of replacing something that still works.

I'll probably wait until the new year to actually buy it- I'd like to keep it under $700, so waiting until after the "rush" is over makes sense.  In case anyone has missed it, all TV in the US is going digital in February, which will panic folks into buying new TV's between now and February.  I figure by March, everyone will already have TV's and the leftover stock will drop in price significantly!  :D

Like I said, I'm just starting the planning process now- it takes a lot of planning and research (and saving!) to separate myself from that much money!

Def

Global Tuffy Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 28,078 Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 04:05:44 PM »
I did TV engineering for nearly 3 years and no question I'd get a plasma.

As a general rule, anything under 37" get an LCD and for anything above go plasma.  Burning used to be an issue, but now they make it so that the picture rotates around the screen so that would not be a problem.

Pioneer used to do superb plasmas.

I'm back!!
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 04:23:29 PM »
The plasma appeals to me simply because it's brighter- not a big deal at night, but I have three skylights, two of which are in the living room where the TV would live.  There's a pretty good glare on my TV on sunny days, and it's hard to watch "dark" movies during the day on it.

Def

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 04:41:20 PM »
you could just buy some blinds you know...

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 05:20:21 PM »
hmmmm  boring blinds or new big screen TV....

What would you do? :P

Def

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 05:36:03 PM »
buy a new kayak?

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,261
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 05:52:27 PM »
The brightness and darker black levels of Plasmas certainly are better than LCD.  However, I think the greater viewing angle of the Plasma is also a very big plus.

If you decide on Plasma, make sure you mount it solidly.  Plasma screens cannot take the physical abuse that an LCD can.  In other words, don't drop it!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 05:54:22 PM by NutSAK »

- Terry

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me...
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 06:00:26 PM »
It'll be sitting on a TV stand... maybe since I have big dogs I should think about LCD then?

Def

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 06:11:11 PM »
get a wall rack... unless you want to replace it... frequently...

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 06:17:05 PM »
No wall space unfortunately...

Def

Global Tuffy Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 28,078 Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 06:19:43 PM »
My father in law has a HUGE plasma on a stand a 4 very lively dogs and it has been fine so far, even with the odd light whack.  They would never jump up at the screen though.  If your dogs would do that then I'd forget getting either and just go for a good old CRT.

I'm back!!
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 06:22:41 PM »
It's a sturdy TV stand, and I doubt the dogs would jump at it.  It's also not as bad as the old days when Pete was around... nothing would have been safe then, but Chinook is older now and doesn't wrestle with Daisy the way he did with Pete.

Def

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 06:25:56 PM »
It's a sturdy TV stand, and I doubt the dogs would jump at it.  It's also not as bad as the old days when Pete was around... nothing would have been safe then, but Chinook is older now and doesn't wrestle with Daisy the way he did with Pete.

Def

Well, IMO if you are confident that the screen would not get touched by the dogs then I'd still go for the Plasma.  Any "strength" added by the LCD would only be marginal anyway.  Neither screen could take two paws in the centre of it from a boystrous (sp?) dog.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 06:34:19 PM by Benner »

I'm back!!
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 06:33:14 PM »
you can also slap a sheet of plexiglass on the front for extra protection if you're really worried about the screen, plexi is cheaper to replace than the TV if it gets scratched...

you can probably also get a heavier base, or even bolt the base to the stand...

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 06:35:19 PM »
you can also slap a sheet of plexiglass on the front for extra protection if you're really worried about the screen, plexi is cheaper to replace than the TV if it gets scratched...

you can probably also get a heavier base, or even bolt the base to the stand...

You can get cabinets with a perspex screen already in them.  Think they will be pricey though.

I'm back!!
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 06:40:50 PM »
I helped install 7 new TV's at the bar last week, and they all had bolt holes in the bases for locking them down, and that's probably the way I'll go.

Def

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 06:51:21 PM »
I helped install 7 new TV's at the bar last week, and they all had bolt holes in the bases for locking them down, and that's probably the way I'll go.

Def

The screen being pushed over would probably concern me less than the screen being smashed by it being lept on.

I'm back!!
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 06:52:50 PM »
I can't say that it wouldn't happen, just that it's never been an issue before.  Anything can happen, but my biggest concern as far as the dogs go is one of them bumping the stand and knocking it over.

Def

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 06:58:56 PM »
I can't say that it wouldn't happen, just that it's never been an issue before.  Anything can happen, but my biggest concern as far as the dogs go is one of them bumping the stand and knocking it over.

Def

Well a goodish stand would easily solve that one.  You could even wedge it right in the corner of the room as well if that's an option.

I still say the plasma.  If one was to jump up they would break an LCD as well anyway.

I'm back!!
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 08:55:02 PM »
Well it's a reasonably solid TV stand, and it is wedged in a corner, so problem solved!  :D

Def

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 08:56:34 PM »
Well it's a reasonably solid TV stand, and it is wedged in a corner, so problem solved!  :D

Def

Sorted!  :tu: :D

I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: $190.80
PayPal Fees: $12.28
Net Balance: $178.52