Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lanyards, zipper pulls, fire starters. What if anything do you like on your SAK?

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Just ordered these for my SAKs, 10 for $2(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

That's also a nice way to go An0nemus, certainly less expensive than some of the paracord beads I'm considering, (10 to 25 bucks or so).
Not sure if I'll like them though, Faddy. And if I don't, then I'll just put them on my bags. I'll post pics when I install them next week (Image removed from quote.)

Will be nice to see! Honestly they don't look all that different from the ones Victorinox sells. There is a pretty big variety online though. I thought these looked okay, not quite as inexpensive as the ones you found but not too bad.
https://www.amazon.com/MS...fRID=VAMGZDD5VE12Q06T15KS

I'm still thinking a homemade paracord lanyard with something like these on it might be kinda fun ....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/B...id=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I haven't seen an actual Victorinox landyard so I'm not sure how they compare with what I ordered. That's why I'm excited to install these and post pics for your feedback  :)

The product you linked to looks attractive! But the strings seem too thin?

As to the beads, personally I don't find them appealing as they may scratch my SAK's scales and add another hindrance to a smooth draw :)

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Ok ok, chill guys..
First off here's how there made, you just fish the cord through the one piece then slip it into the little nooks, then pull the other piece over and lock it into place, same goes for the whistle tip. The amazing thing on those are the price, if you order them from the manufacturer you have to buy them each piece individually there like 30cents so only 60cents for a complete unit, yeah tax and shipping so maybe close to a whole buck for one and that's the whistle, the others like under 30cents all together! So if you order a few it's a good price, unlike buying them from other places for well over!

That other is a side release clip,it doesn't have the strike or handcuff key in the middle, but has the whistle on the sides..
JR

Guess it would help if I put the pic in :whistle:

Yep, the price is super cheap on those. I mean for the size it's almost a why not have a whislte? (If you're going with a lanyard that is)

us Offline Faddy Daddy

I haven't seen an actual Victorinox landyard so I'm not sure how they compare with what I ordered. That's why I'm excited to install these and post pics for your feedback  :)

As to the beads, personally I don't find them appealing as they may scratch my SAK's scales and add another hindrance to a smooth draw :)

Honestly an0nemus they don't look all that different from the zipper pulls you are looking at. I bet you have seen them in pics of other SAK's on this forum - I've seen quite a few.
Yeah, the do look thinnner but I don't think it needs to be very strong and some of that para cord, even the thinner stuff can be pretty darned strong.
I thought about that with the beads as well, no doubt they'd scratch the heck out of my scales. Not that I'm very superstitious mind you but a little good luck charm to keep from slicing my finger open might offset the scale scratching? ha ha

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
And a bead or thick knot seems to help keep a knife from slipping out of one's pocket so easily. (I've had a couple slip out of a pocket unnoticed. Grrrrrrr....)

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am

Honestly an0nemus they don't look all that different from the zipper pulls you are looking at. I bet you have seen them in pics of other SAK's on this forum - I've seen quite a few.
Yeah, the do look thinnner but I don't think it needs to be very strong and some of that para cord, even the thinner stuff can be pretty darned strong.
I thought about that with the beads as well, no doubt they'd scratch the heck out of my scales. Not that I'm very superstitious mind you but a little good luck charm to keep from slicing my finger open might offset the scale scratching? ha ha

yes I saw pics of the Vic lanyards thats why I ordered the zipper pulls as they do look similar :)

my wife is the superstitious kind and she does make me wear amulets, bracelets and other stuff so I think I'm already covered in that department  :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:30:16 AM by an0nemus »

us Offline Faddy Daddy

And a bead or thick knot seems to help keep a knife from slipping out of one's pocket so easily. (I've had a couple slip out of a pocket unnoticed. Grrrrrrr....)

Nice to know Nix. That would be horrible just loosing a SAK like that.

I know some of the beads can be pretty pricey, heck you could spend more on that than the SAK itself, I saw some in the $30+ range, wow. However, a SAK can be a pretty personal thing, carrying it day after day, hopefully keeping it for years so I don't mind and in fact rather enjoy personalizing it a bit, bling I guess one could say  :D

us Offline Faddy Daddy

:D

yes I saw pics of the Vic lanyards thats why I ordered the zipper pulls as they do look similar :)

my wife is the superstitious kind and she does make me wear amulets, bracelets and other stuff so I think I'm in that department

:D

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am

Yikes.

This makes me review my initial dislike for beads. Worth considering!  :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Ok ok, chill guys..
First off here's how there made, you just fish the cord through the one piece then slip it into the little nooks, then pull the other piece over and lock it into place, same goes for the whistle tip. The amazing thing on those are the price, if you order them from the manufacturer you have to buy them each piece individually there like 30cents so only 60cents for a complete unit, yeah tax and shipping so maybe close to a whole buck for one and that's the whistle, the others like under 30cents all together! So if you order a few it's a good price, unlike buying them from other places for well over!

That other is a side release clip,it doesn't have the strike or handcuff key in the middle, but has the whistle on the sides..
JR

Yep, the price is super cheap on those. I mean for the size it's almost a why not have a whislte? (If you're going with a lanyard that is)
I'd say, i mean come on, what's better then a backpack loaded with about 6glow tips and of course 1whistle tip, especially come night time as it's sit next to your bed near a light so when you turn in for the night all you see is your bag knowing where every zipper is? Well except the whistle.. but yeah, a cool little tip for under a buck with a custom match piece of paracord to make it look even better, what's better the that? That is if you use a lanyard, lol.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Faddy Daddy

MadPlumbarian, you make camping sound like Christmas, ha ha I do see where that could come in handy though.
 :cheers:

Here are a couple hastily taken pics of my 3 Victorinox lanyards, again on the web site they show with red cordage.
Evowood 14, Compact, and Climber. The cord doesn't appear terribly thick but I imagine it's rather stout. I'd think I could almost pull the split ring apart before the cord would break. Also not sure if you can tell, but the lanyard on the evowood is the one inclined to come apart or separate from the split ring.
IMG_0909.JPG
* IMG_0909.JPG (Filesize: 215.2 KB)
IMG_0910.JPG
* IMG_0910.JPG (Filesize: 238.4 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
I put a couple of knots and a bead on my Hiker.

The lanyard cord is reflective (hard to tell in this feeble photo of mine.), and stands out really well at night:

G10 scales also keep it from slipping out of a pocket unnoticed. A 'go to' SAK for me for camping and hiking.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:06:44 AM by Nix »

us Offline Faddy Daddy

(Image removed from quote.)

The lanyard cord is reflective (hard to tell in this feeble photo of mine.), and stands out really well at night:

G10 scales also keep it from slipping out of a pocket unnoticed. A 'go to' SAK for me for camping and hiking.

:like:

Very Nice!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
MadPlumbarian, you make camping sound like Christmas, ha ha I do see where that could come in handy though.

Here are a couple hastily taken pics of my 3 Victorinox lanyards, again on the web site they show with red cordage.
Evowood 14, Compact, and Climber. The cord doesn't appear terribly thick but I imagine it's rather stout. I'd think I could almost pull the split ring apart before the cord would break. Also not sure if you can tell, but the lanyard on the evowood is the one inclined to come apart or separate from the split ring.
Nice, see each tip is the same but the cords also the same, so just need a tip and diff pieces of diff color paracord to match what it's going on..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am

Beautiful G10 scales! I especially like how reflective the lanyard cord is  :tu:

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Down our way we like to scoop them out with a twiglet and eat them like that.

It's a young persons right of passage to defeat a persimmon vomiting Dragon using only a packet of Twiglets (24g bag only), and steal the remaining persimmons to share among the family and village. The villagers then join in the mocking of the Dragon and throw last seasons Gobblers at it until it flies away. A party is then held for the youths who passed the rite and they are awarded a garland made from the harvested persimmon flowers.

Persimmon's build houses around where I live.....there not orange though :think:

Anyhoo, I have attached a SOS capsule to my PX. That way I can remember who I am...... :ahhh
IMG_0307.JPG
* IMG_0307.JPG (Filesize: 62.46 KB)
IMG_0308.JPG
* IMG_0308.JPG (Filesize: 226.09 KB)
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Amici,
Although I have been a purveyor of the 550 lanyard on a SAK in the past and still do on occasion, the majority are carried on a suspension rig I made consisting of a McGizmo # 2 and a titanium pocket clip..When utilizing this style of carry, I can EDC a Champ or Craftsman with no issues..

Cheers,
Serge   
Clip.jpeg
* Clip.jpeg (Filesize: 139.94 KB)
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Amici,
Although I have been a purveyor of the 550 lanyard on a SAK in the past and still do on occasion, the majority are carried on a suspension rig I made consisting of a McGizmo # 2 and a titanium pocket clip..When utilizing this style of carry, I can EDC a Champ or Craftsman with no issues..

Cheers,
Serge   

I like that idea sergemaster for the larger SAKs. Really I've found anything 4 layers or more is a bit awkward just lying flat in pocket.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Ok ok, chill guys..

JR

Thanks!

It's not failure if you learn something from it

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Amici,
Here is a closer look at the suspension clip that I utilize for EDC. Some folks just go ahead and attach a P-7 clip directly onto the split ring, and that's okay. But personally, I find this style to be limited, especially during hard use situations, and when attempting to get into tight areas. .

With my example, you simply clip it to the split ring of whatever SAK you plan to EDC, and use the suspension clip on your pocket where your SAK will drop down and ride friendly with no boat anchor issues. 

Then when you need it, you simply disengage the clip form the SAK's split ring, and now you can go ahead and do that voodoo you do so well..

Cheers,
Serge   
Clip.jpeg
* Clip.jpeg (Filesize: 146.81 KB)
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Ok ok, chill guys..

JR

Thanks!

It's not failure if you learn something from it
True!
JR

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Amici,
Here is a closer look at the suspension clip that I utilize for EDC. Some folks just go ahead and attach a P-7 clip directly onto the split ring, and that's okay. But personally, I find this style to be limited, especially during hard use situations, and when attempting to get into tight areas. .

With my example, you simply clip it to the split ring of whatever SAK you plan to EDC, and use the suspension clip on your pocket where your SAK will drop down and ride friendly with no boat anchor issues. 

Then when you need it, you simply disengage the clip form the SAK's split ring, and now you can go ahead and do that voodoo you do so well..

Cheers,
Serge

That's a nice set up Serge. I like the fact how you can remove the clip from your knife so it doesn't get in the way. As long as you don't loose the clip in the midterm that is!
I've ordered one of the P7 (or similar) clips and I think I will set it up like yours for any time I wish to carry my explorer. I still like a lanyard idea for my thinner saks though.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Here's my SwissChamp with the lanyard I made for it few years ago

Thanks for sharing Aleph, I might try to do something similar except with a paracord bead. Maybe a little tiki guy, or veles God of luck or some such.

Does your lanyard ever work it's way loose from the knife? Curious if the loop through is most common or going directly through the keyring....

Just like others already said, I've had not problems with the lanyard getting loose, and the fact that I can remove the lanyard and put it on another SAK
whenever I like is just a bonus

Edit: The knot is Chinese Double Button Knot if anyone is interested
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 08:09:44 AM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
pocket clips make all the difference

even the largest SAKs carry comfortably with those

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
My zipper pulls finally arrived yesterday. Here they are. I find them thin, though. I guess because I got used to how thick 550 paracords are.

I might try out Sarge's suggestion also.

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Down our way we like to scoop them out with a twiglet and eat them like that.

It's a young persons right of passage to defeat a persimmon vomiting Dragon using only a packet of Twiglets (24g bag only), and steal the remaining persimmons to share among the family and village. The villagers then join in the mocking of the Dragon and throw last seasons Gobblers at it until it flies away. A party is then held for the youths who passed the rite and they are awarded a garland made from the harvested persimmon flowers.

Persimmon's build houses around where I live.....there not orange though :think:

Anyhoo, I have attached a SOS capsule to my PX. That way I can remember who I am...... :ahhh

What will they think of next. I've heard of persimmon boots, and handbags, and party hats, but houses? Maybe it's the new plastic, I remember when they started making everything out of plastic. We should start getting used to orange colored stuff I guess.  :D

And we remember who you are Guardian, if you forget you can always stop by and we'll remind you, er, if you remember your password...  :tu:

us Offline Faddy Daddy

My zipper pulls finally arrived yesterday. Here they are. I find them thin, though. I guess because I got used to how thick 550 paracords are.

Those look very much like the Victorinox lanyards. I finally got some paracord in and I see what you mean about being thicker - I rather like it. I just need to practice up on making some knots etc.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am

Those look very much like the Victorinox lanyards. I finally got some paracord in and I see what you mean about being thicker - I rather like it. I just need to practice up on making some knots etc.
The fun of having a paracord is having the ability to DIY and make a true custom :cheers:

us Offline Faddy Daddy

The fun of having a paracord is having the ability to DIY and make a true custom :cheers:

Yep, it looks like it might be a fun little side hobby and a neat way to customize my SAKs. Here's my first attempt, very rudimentary, a bunch of snake knots followed by a Turks head I think... I haven't finished the ends as I'm using this particular one for practice :)
Eventually I will put the beads I got on my favorite EDC SAKs,
IMG_0914.JPG
* IMG_0914.JPG (Filesize: 197.73 KB)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:41:17 AM by Faddy Daddy »

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am

Yep, it looks like it might be a fun little side hobby and a neat way to customize my SAKs. Here's my first attempt, very rudimentary, a bunch of snake knots followed by a Turks head I think... I haven't finished the ends as I'm using this particular one for practice :)

yours is a better early attempt than mine, Faddy Daddy!  :tu:

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog

Looks great.  Actually,  it looks like a snake sticking out is forked tongue. Eeewwww...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD