Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pioneer X, 30 day challenge

Nix · 265 · 12049

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Pioneer X, 30 day challenge
Reply #210 on: September 08, 2017, 05:50:45 AM
Gracias, amigo!

I'll tally up the responses over the rest of the challenge and then figure out how to proceed.

Since you expressed some interest, let me ramble on with a few extra details. The steel is good ol' 1095, high carbon, super rust. I've got a scrap of American Walnut to use as handle scales. And I'll fix the scales to the tang with epoxy and brass pins. I haven't quite settled on how I'll finish the walnut scales; that'll be a last minute decision.

That's the plan, for now, and until reality slaps me in da face.  :megaslap:

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #211 on: September 08, 2017, 05:51:36 AM
I wish I could make a knife!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #212 on: September 08, 2017, 05:57:58 AM
You can!

I'd like to get to the point where I can forge steel into a knife, but that may not happen. I made my first knife 30 years ago and I'm still using it today. I got a Green River blade (heat treated and drilled) and fashioned some scales from maple. I epoxied and pinned the scales on, then sanded, stained, and finished them. Then sharpened the blade. It was/is a pretty amateurish knife, but it takes a great edge and it has a place in my kitchen knife block today. Order a 'kit' blade and make a knife. All you really need is a rasp, some sandpaper, a few pins, a clamp or two, and some epoxy. It will be your knife!

p.s. oh, you'll need a drill, too.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 06:01:15 AM by Nix »

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #213 on: September 08, 2017, 10:39:32 AM
You can!

I'd like to get to the point where I can forge steel into a knife, but that may not happen. I made my first knife 30 years ago and I'm still using it today. I got a Green River blade (heat treated and drilled) and fashioned some scales from maple. I epoxied and pinned the scales on, then sanded, stained, and finished them. Then sharpened the blade. It was/is a pretty amateurish knife, but it takes a great edge and it has a place in my kitchen knife block today. Order a 'kit' blade and make a knife. All you really need is a rasp, some sandpaper, a few pins, a clamp or two, and some epoxy. It will be your knife!

p.s. oh, you'll need a drill, too.

Pics!!!!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #214 on: September 08, 2017, 04:32:42 PM

zrxoa1, the butcher's knife in today's snap shot is the one I made 30 years ago. Showing a little wear, but still going strong!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #215 on: September 08, 2017, 05:20:25 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

zrxoa1, the butcher's knife in today's snap shot is the one I made 30 years ago. Showing a little wear, but still going strong! (Image removed from quote.)
You could use it to cut eggs still in the shell. :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #216 on: September 08, 2017, 09:11:00 PM
I was inspired by pfrsantos and his slick tool caddy. Over the last couple of days, I made my own version using some scraps I had in the garage. The Pioneer X was quite handy in trimming thread (scissors) and cutting leather (main blade). I did not use the PX awl. For this project, I used a dedicated leather awl.

I think it came out quite nicely. I shaped the caddy to match a Levis 501 pocket, so it's a bit wider at the top, to keep it snug.

The tools are quite snug, despite a decent welt (single layer welt), and so the caddy is slightly deformed when loaded with larger tools (AA light & 3-layer PX).
I oiled the leather to keep it supple and sweat resistant. Also added a coat of acrylic resolene to the back to increase sweat resistance. (I've had carbon steel knives develop some rust after a single day out hiking & getting sweaty. Even in Kydex sheaths! So I'm a bit paranoid about that.)

I expect the caddy will break in with use, but if not, I may dampen the leather and 'wet form' the leather for a better fit, but so far, so good.

Thank you, pfrsantos

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #217 on: September 08, 2017, 10:16:32 PM
Nice knife :like: Nice new knife blank :like: and nice caddy  :like: Plus all the great pics :like: :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #218 on: September 08, 2017, 11:05:29 PM
Nice knife :like: Nice new knife blank :like: and nice caddy  :like: Plus all the great pics :like: :D
What he said.  :D

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #219 on: September 09, 2017, 12:04:58 AM
Thank you, gents.  :hatsoff:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #220 on: September 09, 2017, 12:30:27 AM
I was inspired by pfrsantos and his slick tool caddy. Over the last couple of days, I made my own version using some scraps I had in the garage. The Pioneer X was quite handy in trimming thread (scissors) and cutting leather (main blade). I did not use the PX awl. For this project, I used a dedicated leather awl.

I think it came out quite nicely. I shaped the caddy to match a Levis 501 pocket, so it's a bit wider at the top, to keep it snug.

The tools are quite snug, despite a decent welt (single layer welt), and so the caddy is slightly deformed when loaded with larger tools (AA light & 3-layer PX).
I oiled the leather to keep it supple and sweat resistant. Also added a coat of acrylic resolene to the back to increase sweat resistance. (I've had carbon steel knives develop some rust after a single day out hiking & getting sweaty. Even in Kydex sheaths! So I'm a bit paranoid about that.)

I expect the caddy will break in with use, but if not, I may dampen the leather and 'wet form' the leather for a better fit, but so far, so good.

Thank you, pfrsantos(Image removed from quote.)

WOW!  :like:

GAW GAW GAW GAW GAW GAW GAW!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 12:31:28 AM by an0nemus »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #221 on: September 09, 2017, 12:33:49 AM
Gracias, Amigo.  :hatsoff:

You need to get you a Pioneer X.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 12:35:24 AM by Nix »

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #222 on: September 09, 2017, 12:38:02 AM
I need to find someone to make a nice leather sheath for my PX. I'd love to carry it that way and leave my pocket for one of my auto knives!  Haha

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #223 on: September 09, 2017, 12:38:28 AM
That's really one cool caddy, amigo! I especially like the application of acrylic resolence. As you put it in the back pocket, aren't you worried of damaging your PX and flashlight when you sit down?

As to a PX, I actually have one on the way and it will just cost me around $15, brand new :D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 12:39:51 AM by an0nemus »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #224 on: September 09, 2017, 12:41:42 AM
I need to find someone to make a nice leather sheath for my PX. I'd love to carry it that way and leave my pocket for one of my auto knives!  Haha

I'll gladly make one for you. It won't be professional, but it will be well made and durable. Shoot me a PM so we can work out a few details.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #225 on: September 09, 2017, 12:46:28 AM
As to a PX, I actually have one on the way and it will just cost me around $15, brand new :D

$15? Whoa! You hit the jackpot.  :ahhh

In re stressing the knife by 'sitting on it', I used some seriously heavy leather, so that is somewhat protective and distributes pressure around the knife/flashlight. And, when I sit down, the back pocket and sheath seem to end up on the side of my 'seat'. So I don't think this will be an issue. I guess I'd like to hear from other forum members who have used caddys (or is that 'caddies'?), but it seems to work fairly well as is.  :tu:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #226 on: September 09, 2017, 12:54:43 AM

$15? Whoa! You hit the jackpot.  :ahhh

In re stressing the knife by 'sitting on it', I used some seriously heavy leather, so that is somewhat protective and distributes pressure around the knife/flashlight. And, when I sit down, the back pocket and sheath seem to end up on the side of my 'seat'. So I don't think this will be an issue. I guess I'd like to hear from other forum members who have used caddys (or is that 'caddies'?), but it seems to work fairly well as is.  :tu:

I helped organize a local group buy as a friend went to Switzerland recently and bought some SAKs at deep discount. As part of my reward, I get to order a PX at greater discount. Can't wait for it to arrive in 10 days  :ahhh

Yes, I imagine that when you sit down, the caddy will move to the side of your "seat", like what happens to a mobile phone when placed behind. I'm just thinking of suddenly/accidentally sitting down and damaging your tools? The likelihood might be really low, though, considering how toughly built a PX and that flashlight seem to be  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #227 on: September 09, 2017, 01:01:10 AM
I've only had it for one day (today), but I've been driving and sitting in different chairs and I haven't noticed a problem ( a bit to my surprise ). I do notice it being in my back pocket, but it seems OK. I'm curious to see how it works out after a few days of use. 

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #228 on: September 09, 2017, 01:17:31 AM
Alox SAK? Possibility of being damaged? By sitting on it?   :think: :rofl:
Smurf, if you dropped it on a dirt road and a bus ran over it, it might not even have a scratch!

All hail the hook!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #229 on: September 09, 2017, 01:23:12 AM
Smurf, if you dropped it on a dirt road and a bus ran over it, it might not even have a scratch!

Oppss, sorry for even suggesting an alox SAK is fragile  :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #230 on: September 09, 2017, 01:30:16 AM

Oppss, sorry for even suggesting an alox SAK is fragile  :D
Now you'll know!  :D

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #231 on: September 09, 2017, 05:03:54 PM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #232 on: September 09, 2017, 11:38:07 PM
Fairly active day for the PX. This morning, the scissors got used to trim the old beard. Midday the larger driver was used to disassemble the sewing machine so that it could be taken in for routine service. Then, the large driver was used again to install the gasket in some screen windows. The rounded edges of the cap lifter make this tool perfect for easing gaskets into place without cutting them.

The awl got used to open some files packaged in that horrible plastic, 'clam shell' stuff. I know some guys like the orange peeler for this task, but in my mind the Alox inline awl is the perfect tool for this job. Gotta love the awl.

And, now, this evening, the cap lifter is doing what the cap lifter does best.  :D

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #233 on: September 10, 2017, 03:16:32 AM
Wow. Time flies so fast!  :cheers:

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #234 on: September 10, 2017, 06:10:13 AM
Hey Nix, I just stumbled across a youtube video of someone using the can opener on a Cadet to open a corked wine bottle. Looks pretty simple if it's done right! (I still want to try this myself but I just don't drink much wine... I'm a beer guy.)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #235 on: September 10, 2017, 06:17:51 AM
Ohhhh! He makes it look easy!

I note that he is uncorking a bottle with an artificial cork. His technique is pretty similar to my second attempt techique, but I was faced with a natural cork, which fell apart. I'll try again, but I'd like to have a go with an artificial (and stronger) cork like he managed to pull. It may be possible with some natural corks as well, I'll have to keep trying.

(Hey, beer is great and all, but wine is probably better for you. Grab a bottle and have a try at this.  :drink:)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #236 on: September 10, 2017, 04:44:05 PM

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #237 on: September 10, 2017, 05:00:11 PM
Hey Nix, I just stumbled across a youtube video of someone using the can opener on a Cadet to open a corked wine bottle. Looks pretty simple if it's done right! (I still want to try this myself but I just don't drink much wine... I'm a beer guy.)

That's awesome! Hadn't seen that method!   But does this mean I should consider changing my name to El Can Opener?    It just doesn't have the same ring to it....  :(
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #238 on: September 10, 2017, 06:25:51 PM
I'd stick with the original moniker, El C.  :cheers:

So yesterday I used the cap lifter to prep a replacement screen window. This morning, the PX scissors came in handy when prepping strips of Velcro for use in installing the screen window.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #239 on: September 10, 2017, 09:42:43 PM
Took care of some chores earlier, so now it's time to play. With the weather forecast to cool off a bit with a chance of some rain, I'm hoping the smoke will abate and the fishing pick up. So, I figured I'd make up a couple extra lures....

The PX does a nice job with this. The cap lifter works to bend out the edges of the bottle cap and crease a fold. I use a kitchen towel under the cap so there is room to flex the cap and protect the point of the awl when drilling hole for the hook and swivel.

Ok, so you're thinking these look pretty bush-league. They are, but they're deadly. The asymmetric design makes them jerk and flutter like a wounded bait fish, and I think the rough edges create some turbulence in the water. Obviously you want to choose your beer and caps with an eye toward color and flash. Plus, they're free; so I have more money to spend on SAK's.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:47:08 PM by Nix »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD