Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Tool Chest S54

us Offline Tired_Yeti

on: September 15, 2017, 08:10:17 PM
I know that at this point in time, Wenger is no longer with us and through various legal agreements, Victorinox has been allowed to feed off the corpse. As far as I can tell, the Vic S54 Tool Chest is one product of that?
 I'm not flaming Vic, of course, I'm a Vic fanboy to be honest.

All that said and aside, I've seen this and wondered if I've found my Holy Grail of SAKs!

Is anyone using one of these?
What is your assessment and opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Victorinox Tool Chest S54
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 08:46:42 PM
I'm a fan of both Victorinox and Wenger, or at least a fan of certain models by both companies. Unfortunately, this is not one of those models

Locking blades on an 85mm frame knife are totally unnecessary unless you are totally inept with aknife, or have some coordination disorder. The lock also ruins the ergonomics of thetool. Otherwise, they are good knives

Saw, excellent

File, very good

Scissors are very good, though some don't like the micro serrations and the action of the blades

Fish tickler, ridiculous

Phillips, excellent. Well formed, and locks under in-line load

Wrench, I hate it. Even if you find something small enough that this will work with, it's halfway along a very thick knife, which can leadto access problems

Magnifier works, but field of vision is prohibitively small. The driver on the tip works well, but mounting it on that monolithic stalk achieves nothing, adds weight, and wastes the rest ofthat layer

Compass/rule both work, but it is a very bulky layer with limited function

Pliers were designed by someone who'd just come back from a weekend in Amsterdam, and then drunk all his duty free on the flight back. Slip joint idea is nice, but pliers aren't as robust as Vic's, there seems to be two seperate wire cutters, and if I remember correctly, there's a crimper of sorts that all just seems a bit wrong.

Opener layer is fine, and the cap lifter/screwdriver also locks with in-line load

Toothpick and tweezers are fine, and less likely to fall out accidentally than Vic ones

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:48:58 PM
Without the useless fish thing and the bulky ruler/compass, but with a hook and a chisel, this would be my perfect survival tool.
Unfortunately Victorinox has other ideas.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 10:14:06 PM
Here is a youtube video review of the Wenger version ( I have one like it) and around 55 sec in you can see it side by side with a Swiss Champ.  For my hand size the Swiss Champ is about as wide as I consider comfortable for every day use.

The  S54 is just a little too wide for me.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 11:36:28 PM
I have the Wenger version. Bought it 12 years ago to rotate it as an EDC. More or less what 50ft said, although I liked the locking blade and the nail file. But tool by tool Victorinox was better, or I was accustomed to Vic's blades and tools.  And the compass layer was overkill. The separate Recta compass of Victorinox is much better.
So the Swisschamp could only be replaced by the XLT and Spirit.
In the Wenger vs Victorinox shootouts, Wenger wins on the Ranger line 130mm. In all other lines I prefer the Vics.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:37:43 PM by kkokkolis »

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 11:52:13 PM
You guys are a HUGE help! Thanks so much. I'm not averse to carrying a bigger SAK in the pocket. I'd been eyeing the Vic SwissChamp for while, but stumbled on this at a similar price so I got excited about the potential of some is the tools.

The voices of experience are pushing me back toward the Swiss Champ. Again, thanks for taking the time to chime in.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 12:00:52 AM
For what it's worth, on the topic of maxed out Swiss knives (ala Swisschamp), my No.1 recommendation is always Cybertool 41.
No fish tickler, no limited efficiency mag glass (compared to a cheap fresnel lens in the wallet), and a far more versatile driver.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 01:20:12 AM
The  S54 is just a little too wide for me.
Boy! You can say *that* again! I just watched the video. The ruler is ridiculously wide and all just to accommodate the button compass. No thanks! It looks like it's as wide as 2 layers but there are no other tools but the thick ruler and the button compass. They may work well, but I think that's too much width for what you get.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 01:21:34 AM
For what it's worth, on the topic of maxed out Swiss knives (ala Swisschamp), my No.1 recommendation is always Cybertool 41.
No fish tickler, no limited efficiency mag glass (compared to a cheap fresnel lens in the wallet), and a far more versatile driver.
I was looking at that one too. The price tag tied my shoelaces together; otherwise, I'd have sprung for one already. Well, that and the fact that it's pretty much just like my Craftsman with a pen and the proprietary bit set. Not sure it's worth it. It's about 2x the price of the Swiss Champ

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 01:34:37 AM by Tired_Yeti »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 02:01:18 AM
I was looking at that one too. The price tag tied my shoelaces together; otherwise, I'd have sprung for one already. Well, that and the fact that it's pretty much just like my Craftsman with a pen and the proprietary bit set. Not sure it's worth it. It's about 2x the price of the Swiss Champ

Understandable. It was a bitter pill to swallow at the time for me too.

I've never owned a Swisschamp, but I have handled one a few times. I also have a CT34 which I am going to mod, and a CT41 that's stopping exactly as it is. I'm glad I bought them when I did, and wouldn't like to have to outlay that much again for another. If you're not in an immediate rush for a new shiny, you might want to wait it out till a deal comes up, and/or get a jar you can chuck some money into occasionally for it.

I do think it's worth the difference for me, but take your time and get other people's views on it too. Just cos it works so well for me, is no guarantee it will work as well for you. Some folk swear by the Swisschamp, and don't see the CT41 as that much of an advantage. All I can offer is my honest opinion, but I would urge you to listen to others too  :cheers:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 02:30:31 AM

Understandable. It was a bitter pill to swallow at the time for me too.

I've never owned a Swisschamp, but I have handled one a few times. I also have a CT34 which I am going to mod, and a CT41 that's stopping exactly as it is. I'm glad I bought them when I did, and wouldn't like to have to outlay that much again for another. If you're not in an immediate rush for a new shiny, you might want to wait it out till a deal comes up, and/or get a jar you can chuck some money into occasionally for it.

I do think it's worth the difference for me, but take your time and get other people's views on it too. Just cos it works so well for me, is no guarantee it will work as well for you. Some folk swear by the Swisschamp, and don't see the CT41 as that much of an advantage. All I can offer is my honest opinion, but I would urge you to listen to others too  :cheers:

The Tool Chest is an interesting tool. I have been tempted to get it but have never followed through. I'm very partial to the Swiss Champ and have no problem adding additional SCs vs trying a Tool Chest. I'm a real fan of the Vic magnifiers and want the magnifier more than I don't want the fish scaler. I have several Cyber Tools including the 29, 34, 41 and CyberTool Lite (plus multiple copies of the 29 & 34). The CT Lite is the only Cyber Tool with a magnifier. Obviously, I like the CT series but still wouldn't want to give up my Swiss Champs for them.

Jim

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 08:27:52 AM
I know that at this point in time, Wenger is no longer with us and through various legal agreements, Victorinox has been allowed to feed off the corpse. As far as I can tell, the Vic S54 Tool Chest is one product of that?
 I'm not flaming Vic, of course, I'm a Vic fanboy to be honest.

All that said and aside, I've seen this and wondered if I've found my Holy Grail of SAKs!

Is anyone using one of these?
What is your assessment and opinions?

(Image removed from quote.)

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 09:08:26 AM
I have a Wenger version that's got the regular non-ergonomic scales and non-locking blade. It's an interesting tool to have on a desk or in a study. Maybe the reason I don't take it out that much is that the Victorinox version isn't available locally so this one is relegated to home use only.  I'd rather have something like this in the drawer than say, a Workchamp.

Handyman, Swiss champ and CT 41 - you can't go wrong with any of those if you want a thick knife to bring around outside.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 09:10:20 AM by Zephon »

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 02:18:35 PM
Handyman, Swiss champ and CT 41 - you can't go wrong with any of those if you want a thick knife to bring around outside.
Yeah, I currently carry a Craftsman which is a Handyman with a #2 Phillips instead of a corkscrew. It's a great tool and has done a lot of work for me, but...you know. You can always see a bigger SAK with more tools and start to think of jobs you could do with those extra tools. LOL!

Thinking about the Swiss Champ, I think the little ruler/straight edge is a better version than this super thick plastic ruler in the Tool Chest. I can just see that plastic ruler getting snapped off somehow. Then I'd be left with 2 or 3 layers of nothing. I wonder if that's ever happened to anyone yet?

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 02:43:59 PM
Yeah, I currently carry a Craftsman which is a Handyman with a #2 Phillips instead of a corkscrew. It's a great tool and has done a lot of work for me, but...you know. You can always see a bigger SAK with more tools and start to think of jobs you could do with those extra tools. LOL!

Thinking about the Swiss Champ, I think the little ruler/straight edge is a better version than this super thick plastic ruler in the Tool Chest. I can just see that plastic ruler getting snapped off somehow. Then I'd be left with 2 or 3 layers of nothing. I wonder if that's ever happened to anyone yet?

I personally find more jobs to do with the CT driver versus the other tools in the Swiss champ. The only thing holding me back is me thinking how hard it will be to get original replacement bits :-p I am quite eager to find a CT lite version.

For the Tool Chest, it's losing the compass that's worrying me. I don't keep mini sewing kit or matches in the hollow part of the ruler though.  Outside using it in conjunction with the compass in reading a map, I really haven't found a use for it.  The kids have also found that the awl makes a great tool for undoing knots!

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 06:44:44 PM
...I personally find more jobs to do with the CT driver versus the other tools in the Swiss Champ. The only thing holding me back is me thinking how hard it will be to get original replacement bits...
I haven't looked into that issue yet. How hard is it to get them?

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 09:04:52 PM
I hope they make a non-locking version. I hate the locking Wengers.

What I do find interesting is that they have the compass/ruler "blade"in this-  they have been so universally reviled by anyone I've met who tried one, and I"ve never heard of a positive review, that I'm surprised Wenger's engineering team didn't kill this layer option outright.

For some things the wrench is very good, and the issue is mostly with the maximum size of the jaws, but in the middle of something like this is an interesting choice. Moving the wrench and an inline philips into a Compact would make for a very nice EDC package when partnered with a pliers-based multi. Like a LM Mini.

Although it's probably cost prohibitive to purchase one as mod fodder just for the wrench.

I know that at this point in time, Wenger is no longer with us and through various legal agreements, Victorinox has been allowed to feed off the corpse.

I would phrase it as more like Victorinox helped to support a sick relative, and with said relative's passing, has adopted the kids and taken over the business obligations that were left behind. Even the stupid ones, like the Wenger branded back packs.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:07:31 PM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 09:28:40 PM
...I personally find more jobs to do with the CT driver versus the other tools in the Swiss Champ. The only thing holding me back is me thinking how hard it will be to get original replacement bits...

I thought they were hard to source HERE (Belgium), but some retailers have them in stock.
Other retailers are able to just order them and I can pick them up next time the supplier came by.

I have a Swisschamp, CT41 and CT34.
I like all three but if I could keep only 1, it would be the CT41.
Yes it costs the most, but it also delivers for it. When you can hold a CT41 and SC, you'll understand.

HOWEVER: if you plan to use your tool mostly outdoors/in the "wild" the SC is my prime choice.
No need for a bit driver there and the bits will only be easier to lose.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 04:18:52 AM

I'm from the Philippines so even if there's FedEx, Paypal and all that, I still find it a hassle to order extra bits somewhere and have shipping costs and taxes more expensive than the bits themselves.  One can say that a new CT is easier to get than new bits but off course there's the prohibitive cost of the SAK. 

So if I know that there's a chance I'll lose (or lend) or break a small bit, I'd go for those cheap USD3 micro driver sets versus the CT41.  Call me crazy and pampering but USD100+ is hard money here to replace a SAK.  :ahhh

and it's only now that I realized that the catalog does not have a non-locking S54! 

I would agree that outside the "city" where there's no use for a bit kit, a Swiss champ or even a Work champ is good choice!

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 04:54:32 PM
I would phrase it as more like Victorinox helped to support a sick relative, and with said relative's passing, has adopted the kids and taken over the business obligations that were left behind. Even the stupid ones, like the Wenger branded back packs.
Nah, I like my phrasing. While your statement is more accurate, mine is more theatrical and takes artistic liberties with Halloween just around the corner!

Maybe...
I would phrase it as more like Victorinox helped to support a sick relative, and with said relative's passing...Has begun to feed on the corpse
Happy Halloween!

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 04:55:44 PM by Tired_Yeti »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31