Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Showcase: Mods to plier-based multitools

Offline ModificatYon

Re: Showcase: Mods to plier-based multitools
Reply #240 on: December 15, 2022, 04:51:35 PM
Well done, simple but practical I like that.
Just a question, did you 3D printed the bit holding yellow thingy or did you order it ? If yes, where? Looks very useful ans well thought out.

fi Offline customod

Reply #241 on: December 15, 2022, 10:31:40 PM
Thanks, it was surprisingly practical dismantling a kitchen cupboard the other day! The wallet and the bit caddy / wallet toolbox are my own designs; prototypes. I 3D printed this and have been testing and iterating different versions including one with Victorinox scissors that fit just like in the Swisscards. I'll post a link if you like when I'm satisfied with all of the tolerances.

Also since I'm posting again, here's a Style PS with some small mods: another 3D printed design to use both LM bits and 4mm ones.

* image.jpg (Filesize: 188.46 KB)

* SmartSelect_20221215-234615_Gallery.jpg (Filesize: 483.19 KB)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 10:47:01 PM by customod »

fi Offline customod

Reply #242 on: December 23, 2022, 10:09:04 AM
Tool Name: Style PDF (pliers + diamond file)
Basis: Style PS
Aim: Create a specific toolset to complement a specific edc arrangement. This differs from my previous Style mod by removing material more than adding. Also this blade is a placeholder as I plan on replacing it with a scalpel holder blade (which I can then remove and sharpen easily).
Mods:
1. Removed the entire carabiner area to minimize size and weight
2. Changed the scissors for a knife and driver
3. Modified plier shape for even better reach AND to accommodate the driver bit holder for much more utility
4. Changed the entire scale and original driver side for a fixed diamond file (modified from a Surge file) for field sharpening.
Links:

* 20221223_092820 copy.jpg (Filesize: 262.94 KB)

* 20221223_092940 copy.jpg (Filesize: 307.44 KB)

* 20221223_092844 copy.jpg (Filesize: 247.51 KB)

* 20221223_092751 copy.jpg (Filesize: 236.75 KB)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 10:16:08 AM by customod »

Offline s_a_c

• New User
Reply #243 on: January 11, 2023, 11:35:54 PM
Tool Name: Gerber MP600 Drive
Basis: Gerber MP600ST (Sight Tool)
Aim: Create a MP600 with a bit driver, scissors, and the tool layout of my choice. Much prefer the MP600ST as the main tool due to the frame already having cutouts, longer combo knife blade, longer Phillips driver, replaceable cutter inserts, and better plastic tool locks on this model.

Mods:
1. Removed AR sight tool and add gerber armbar slim bit driver. Driver tool and MP600 crane both had to be modded a good bit to allow fitment. Still need to finish fine tuning, pics are from test fitment. NOTE: attempted to modify the AR sight tool initially to accept a bit extension but this is not recommended as it is easier to add the bit driver from the armbar, and also allows for another short tool to be added.
2. Added scissors, Tshank adapter (for surge file, Tshank saw blades, etc), and large flathead with V notch.
3. HSS cutter inserts are on the way to replace the absolute garbage carbide inserts.
4. EPI insta-black 370SS sample kit on the way to blacken the modified portion of the frame, bit driver, and satin tools.
Also may add Wire Stripper tool from SOG powerlock in near future. I’ve already done this mod to my other MP600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* IMG_2731.jpg (Filesize: 443.39 KB)

* IMG_2733.jpg (Filesize: 434.11 KB)

* IMG_2732.jpg (Filesize: 513.92 KB)

* IMG_2729.jpg (Filesize: 442.23 KB)

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #244 on: January 20, 2023, 08:34:22 PM
 :like: Nice!
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

fi Offline customod

Reply #245 on: January 25, 2023, 09:55:11 AM
Tool Name: Mr. Pinchy plus
Basis: Gerber Multi plier
Aim: This was bought used and it was a quirky specimen with the same toolset in each handle. This gave me a sense of freedom to mod and I decided to create an experimental toolset with inspiration taken from tools created long after Mr. Pinchy's release and really extend the use of the tool. At this point these are just prototypes made from PLA but I will be having the final verisons made from metals such as steel, aluminum or titanium. I am still considering what I will do with that last duplicate tool (perhaps an awl and another flathead, box opener, or magnifying glass.
Mods:
1. I designed and 3D printed a prototype 1-hand opening scalpel holder blade which also functions as a package opener if the blade is broken or removed.
2. Designed and 3D printed a pair of tools: a t-shank holder which includes a LM mini bit holder and a wide chisel/scraper/pry which also doubles as the second 'wall' for the t-shank holder.

Links:

* mr pinchy modprog1 closed.jpg (Filesize: 262.04 KB)

* mr pinchy modprog1 inside.jpg (Filesize: 163.07 KB)

* mr pinchy modprog1 open.jpg (Filesize: 212.68 KB)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 10:02:59 AM by customod »

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #246 on: January 27, 2023, 05:41:51 PM
That's an awesome use of 3D printed parts :like:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Offline ModificatYon

Reply #247 on: February 15, 2023, 10:00:20 PM
Tool Name: Gerber MP600 Drive
Basis: Gerber MP600ST (Sight Tool)
Aim: Create a MP600 with a bit driver, scissors, and the tool layout of my choice. Much prefer the MP600ST as the main tool due to the frame already having cutouts, longer combo knife blade, longer Phillips driver, replaceable cutter inserts, and better plastic tool locks on this model.

Mods:
1. Removed AR sight tool and add gerber armbar slim bit driver. Driver tool and MP600 crane both had to be modded a good bit to allow fitment. Still need to finish fine tuning, pics are from test fitment. NOTE: attempted to modify the AR sight tool initially to accept a bit extension but this is not recommended as it is easier to add the bit driver from the armbar, and also allows for another short tool to be added.
2. Added scissors, Tshank adapter (for surge file, Tshank saw blades, etc), and large flathead with V notch.
3. HSS cutter inserts are on the way to replace the absolute garbage carbide inserts.
4. EPI insta-black 370SS sample kit on the way to blacken the modified portion of the frame, bit driver, and satin tools.
Also may add Wire Stripper tool from SOG powerlock in near future. I’ve already done this mod to my other MP600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice job, I think from now on every MP600 issued by Gerber should be like this!

fi Offline customod

Reply #248 on: February 16, 2023, 02:26:49 PM
Tool Name: MP460
Basis: Gerber MP400
Aim: Pack in more tools!... and by taking out any knife blades or awls, make it potentially travel safe. This also fits well with a multi-tool + dedicated folder carry style.
Mods:
1. File from an MP600 instead of a blade (long slot)
2. U-Shank holder in place of the scissors (long slot)
3. Removed material from the plier head on the opposite side of the long slots, to allow for semi-long implements:
4. moved the scissors to the other end of the stack
5. added a thinner, longer cross driver from an original Suspension.
6. Shortened the plier head tip and lengthened the sliding grooves slightly to allow the pliers to sit fully inside for more friendly pocket carry and to save a little weight.
7. Not shown in the pictures, I replaced the original u-shank RemGrit blade with a 14T metal cobalt steel saw which is pretty versatile and I angled the tip into a chisel/scraper.

Links:

* Gerber MP400 u-shank and file no blade.jpg (Filesize: 401.73 KB)

* Gerber & Gerber edc.jpg (Filesize: 235.21 KB)

fi Offline customod

Reply #249 on: March 10, 2023, 10:33:40 AM
Tool Name: Spirit XNP (near perfect)
Basis: Victorinox Spirit X
Aim: Take a nearly perfect tool and make it even closer to perfect!
Mods:
1. Removed material from the side of the frame & add a slot in the knife blade so that it can be one hand opening. I also removed a small amount of material from near the pivot so the blade will open more easily.
2. Did the same thing on the other side so the scissors can be opened one handed. Instead of a hole in the scissors, I just removed a little bit of material to help with friction.
3. Removed material from the scissors so they aren't so restricted and I also took off a small amount of metal where the blades meet to form a chamfer in hopes that this would allow material to pass by more easily.
4. Modified the can opener by making the 'blade' a continuous shape which is excellent for prying tight things like watch bezels or SAK scales and for carving spoons.
5. Modified the inside part of the can opener to be a gutter/pull cutter.
6. I guess it is a mod... I bought and added a pocket clip.

It is worth noting that the tool also lost 2 grams in the process and unfortunately gathered a bunch of small metal shavings between the tools. I'm still working them out. This was a bittersweet project because I now have a tool that may just be the pinnacle of all my multitools. Will this be the elusive 'goal' that will end my modding?

Links:

* OHO Vic SpirX spot the diff A.jpg (Filesize: 380.29 KB)

* OHO Vic SpirX spot the diff Q2.jpg (Filesize: 398.91 KB)

* OHO vicSpiritx snowy.jpg (Filesize: 397.79 KB)

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #250 on: March 11, 2023, 10:43:47 AM
 :like:

Especially the package opener/puller mod on the can opener.

Just a question: have you noticed any increased flexing in the handles or knife blade? I imagine these might have become a tad less rigid due to the removal of material...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

fi Offline customod

Reply #251 on: March 12, 2023, 12:13:06 AM
Thanks! Yeah, I've done the same mod to many can openers of similar style because I find myself using the changes often. I wish they came that way! I haven't yet pushed it super hard since the mod, but in what I have done, I haven't noticed any more flexing than in my stock one. I imagine especially in the blade the force needed to break it has decreased, but I don't usually have to push this knife hard since there are so many other tools for prying and working with hard materials. The material removed from the handles is quite far to the end of the handle and only half way on one side, so that's not something I'm worried about.

One more update, I gave the outside a brushed finish instead of full on polish.

* Screenshot_20230311-163018_Photos.jpg (Filesize: 339.33 KB)

Offline ModificatYon

Reply #252 on: March 12, 2023, 02:46:25 PM
Wow this is a very nice mod, Victorinox should really take some inspirations from your work. I didn't like how they've made the one hand opening blade on the new Swisstool, I personally found this "bended tongue" atrociouly hideous (just my personal opinion, don't lambast me please). Overall your small quality of life improvements are worth it! :like:

fi Offline customod

Reply #253 on: March 21, 2023, 11:29:08 AM
Wow this is a very nice mod, Victorinox should really take some inspirations from your work. I didn't like how they've made the one hand opening blade on the new Swisstool, I personally found this "bended tongue" atrociouly hideous (just my personal opinion, don't lambast me please). Overall your small quality of life improvements are worth it! :like:

Thanks! Now that I've worked out the metal dust and my fingers have gotten used to opening it, I am very pleased!

de Offline Ledernox

Reply #254 on: March 21, 2023, 05:25:27 PM
@customod
Very usefull compact bitholder card  :like:

I would swap a Bitholder in my Tool if i had one of this yellow organizer

Actually this tool as edc
Parts from a lot of models in there

* 20230321_170558_copy_1392x848.jpg (Filesize: 189.04 KB)

* 20230321_170703_copy_1380x392.jpg (Filesize: 96.25 KB)

fi Offline customod

Reply #255 on: March 22, 2023, 04:25:20 PM
@Ledernox

Great mod,  :like: You could also integrate a Leatherman bit adapter that would fit that tool perfectly and retain the long cross driver! Either way it looks very capable.

us Offline GoBlue93

• New User
Reply #256 on: April 21, 2023, 10:12:07 PM
Tool Name: Bushcraft Charge
Basis: Orange G10 Charge+
Aim: Optimize for Bushcraft & EDC Carry
Standard Tools: Pliers, S30V Blade, Saw, and Bit Exchanger
Outside Mods: I slide a set of Sharpened Tweezers from a Victorinox in between the Saw and tool frame that nests perfectly in the nick of the Saw.  Replaced the Serrated Blade with 91mm Victorinox Scissors and filed down the end of the file to 90° so it can be used as a Large Flathead/Scraping tool.
Inside Mods: Replaced the Charge Scissors with a Rebar Awl that’s been shaped to a sharper point to more easily pierce leather and bore holes in wood.  Moved the Large Flat Head to the middle tool slot, shortened it to fit with the plier stop, and added a Chisel Edge.  In the Large Flat Head's place, I added a Small Flat Head from a Rebar that’s been shaped to fit in tighter/hard to reach places that my bits can't reach (specifically to use on some specific snowboarding edge sharpening tools).  On the other side, I used a Dremel to create a hook blade/spoon gouge.
Extended Tools From Bit Exchanger: The Bit Exchanger is the most versatile tool on the Charge+.  I replaced the standard combo Phillips/Flathead bit with a brand new #1/#2 Phillips bit for better bit/screw contact when I need a Phillips.  When I’m in the city, I carry the Leatherman Ratchet Driver & 711 Ratchet with the 77781 & 77782 Double Sided WiHa Bits.  When I’m in the mountains, I carry the Leatherman Ratchet Driver with Stubby 1/4” Drill Bits that make bushcrafting and building with wood much more efficient.

* Outside Tools.jpg (Filesize: 20.08 KB)

* Inside Tools.jpg (Filesize: 13.51 KB)

* Auxiliary Tools.jpg (Filesize: 56.61 KB)

us Offline GoBlue93

• New User
Reply #257 on: April 21, 2023, 11:25:25 PM
I realized that the pictures of the inside tools were very poor quality due to downsizing.  Hopefully this shows them a bit better.

Inside Tools 1.jpg
* Inside Tools 1.jpg (Filesize: 28.87 KB)

Inside Tools 2.jpg
* Inside Tools 2.jpg (Filesize: 29.47 KB)

Tool Name: Bushcraft Charge
Basis: Orange G10 Charge+
Aim: Optimize for Bushcraft & EDC Carry
Standard Tools: Pliers, S30V Blade, Saw, and Bit Exchanger
Outside Mods: I slide a set of Sharpened Tweezers from a Victorinox in between the Saw and tool frame that nests perfectly in the nick of the Saw.  Replaced the Serrated Blade with 91mm Victorinox Scissors and filed down the end of the file to 90° so it can be used as a Large Flathead/Scraping tool.
Inside Mods: Replaced the Charge Scissors with a Rebar Awl that’s been shaped to a sharper point to more easily pierce leather and bore holes in wood.  Moved the Large Flat Head to the middle tool slot, shortened it to fit with the plier stop, and added a Chisel Edge.  In the Large Flat Head's place, I added a Small Flat Head from a Rebar that’s been shaped to fit in tighter/hard to reach places that my bits can't reach (specifically to use on some specific snowboarding edge sharpening tools).  On the other side, I used a Dremel to create a hook blade/spoon gouge.
Extended Tools From Bit Exchanger: The Bit Exchanger is the most versatile tool on the Charge+.  I replaced the standard combo Phillips/Flathead bit with a brand new #1/#2 Phillips bit for better bit/screw contact when I need a Phillips.  When I’m in the city, I carry the Leatherman Ratchet Driver & 711 Ratchet with the 77781 & 77782 Double Sided WiHa Bits.  When I’m in the mountains, I carry the Leatherman Ratchet Driver with Stubby 1/4” Drill Bits that make bushcrafting and building with wood much more efficient.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 02:20:55 AM by GoBlue93 »

fi Offline customod

Reply #258 on: April 22, 2023, 06:52:31 AM
Excellent mod GoBlue! That looks like it can handle just about anything 👏

Offline ModificatYon

Reply #259 on: April 24, 2023, 04:37:10 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I've done the same mod to many can openers of similar style because I find myself using the changes often. I wish they came that way! I haven't yet pushed it super hard since the mod, but in what I have done, I haven't noticed any more flexing than in my stock one. I imagine especially in the blade the force needed to break it has decreased, but I don't usually have to push this knife hard since there are so many other tools for prying and working with hard materials. The material removed from the handles is quite far to the end of the handle and only half way on one side, so that's not something I'm worried about.

One more update, I gave the outside a brushed finish instead of full on polish.
Hi,
I wonder, how do you do a brush finish like this? I'm modding a P2 (coming soon exclusively on multitool.org  :popcorn:) and I want to do the same type of finish on it.
Thanks have a good day

fi Offline customod

Reply #260 on: April 24, 2023, 07:44:31 PM
The best way is to first bring it to a polish, but then either way all you need is a scotchbrite pad or similar and use long straight strokes, preferably in a single direction. It is something that I've used a lot when modding watches in the past.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 08:07:33 PM by customod »

Offline ModificatYon

Reply #261 on: April 26, 2023, 03:52:27 PM
The best way is to first bring it to a polish, but then either way all you need is a scotchbrite pad or similar and use long straight strokes, preferably in a single direction. It is something that I've used a lot when modding watches in the past.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it ASAP!

fi Offline customod

Reply #262 on: April 27, 2023, 09:27:41 PM
 :cheers: Hope we get to see the results in the near future  :D

Offline ModificatYon

Reply #263 on: May 08, 2023, 09:27:33 AM

When you say scotchbrite, you talk about this one https://rb.gy/x245q or this one https://rb.gy/qs95r
I'll use some fine sandpaper to polish it, clean it with acetone to remove the grease and then use the scotchbrite. What do you think is it enough?
I'll receive my parts from aliexpress this week, I'll work on it ASAP so I can show you the end result. It won't be a complete overall mod like my Wave, just some twinking to transform my P2 to something more suited for my needs.

de Offline Ledernox

Reply #264 on: May 19, 2023, 01:11:50 PM
Good way top geht some stuff in the wazoo belt.
Glued some neodym Magnets in

fi Offline customod

Reply #265 on: May 22, 2023, 11:53:21 AM
I love the belt mod Ledernox! If I used the same belt all the time this would be something I would do for sure! I might do it anyways :D

As for the question earlier about the scotchbrite pad, it is the first link with the green pad that you'd want to use to get the brushed finish.

00 Offline ThePrinterUnderTheStairs

• New User
Reply #266 on: May 25, 2023, 12:29:37 AM
Tool Name: Wave Plus Plus
Basis: Leatherman Wave Plus
Aim: Put everything I want on one EDC multitool
Mods: I don't actually remember what this looked like stock anymore. The dedicated Philips screwdriver is from my Wingman, I ground the Leatherman bit to be a flat blade on one side and I left the 4mm hex on the other, I sharpened the can opener and I moved the various internal tools around. I designed and 3D printed a scalpel holder, a pocket clip, and a comb (the comb goes into the same slot as the saw). I upgraded the main blade to 154CM. Most recently I added the Victorinox scissors from the Huntsman in place of the serrated blade. I added a bit of Dragon Grip tape to help get it out of my pocket.

Leatherman Mods 1-3.jpg
* Leatherman Mods 1-3.jpg (Filesize: 331.65 KB)

Leatherman Mods 2-4.jpg
* Leatherman Mods 2-4.jpg (Filesize: 275.91 KB)

-The Printer Under The Stairs
https://www.theprinterunderthestairs.com/

us Offline GoBlue93

• New User
Reply #267 on: May 25, 2023, 05:10:56 AM
Great work ThePrinterUnderTheStairs!  I’d love to implement a comb into one of my tools.  What kind of comb was it, and what did you have to do other than drill a pivot to make it work?

Tool Name: Wave Plus Plus
Basis: Leatherman Wave Plus
Aim: Put everything I want on one EDC multitool
Mods: I don't actually remember what this looked like stock anymore. The dedicated Philips screwdriver is from my Wingman, I ground the Leatherman bit to be a flat blade on one side and I left the 4mm hex on the other, I sharpened the can opener and I moved the various internal tools around. I designed and 3D printed a scalpel holder, a pocket clip, and a comb (the comb goes into the same slot as the saw). I upgraded the main blade to 154CM. Most recently I added the Victorinox scissors from the Huntsman in place of the serrated blade. I added a bit of Dragon Grip tape to help get it out of my pocket.

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

00 Offline ThePrinterUnderTheStairs

• New User
Reply #268 on: May 25, 2023, 07:10:36 PM
Thanks GoBlue93!
The comb, pocket clip, and scalpel holder are all designed and 3D printed by me. Images of the 3D models I created are below. Of the three designs, the scalpel holders are the sturdiest, and can be printed out of PLA+, ASA, or Polycarbonate. The comb is printed out of nylon filament and made more flexible by throwing it in boiling water after it's printed. It's reasonably flexible but if you aren't careful with it, it can break, especially on the thinnest part where is goes around the pin (circled in red on the picture). Oh, and the comb tines are only about a quarter inch long, so for me it's a beard/mustache comb. I don't think it would work for the hair on the top of your head unless you have pretty short hair.

I've been thinking I might want to send some of these prints to people willing to install them in their knives, field test them a bit, and give feedback. As it stands, I couldn't see ever charging money for the prints. The comb and pocket clip both seem too fragile to me (the part of the pocket clip that keeps breaking is also circled in red), but maybe with some feedback I can improve them. The scalpel holders are tougher, but if someone decides to apply a lot of pressure with the scalpel they would probably also fail (although, it's a scalpel, so applying pressure with it means you are probably using the wrong tool, IMHO). This project would probably warrant its own thread, but for those reading, does this sound like something folks on this forum would be interested in?

Comb, circled.jpg
* Comb, circled.jpg (Filesize: 60.09 KB)

Pocket Clip circled.jpg
* Pocket Clip circled.jpg (Filesize: 57.77 KB)

Scalpel built-in.jpg
* Scalpel built-in.jpg (Filesize: 52.29 KB)

Scalpel bit driver.jpg
* Scalpel bit driver.jpg (Filesize: 49.64 KB)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 07:23:41 PM by ThePrinterUnderTheStairs »
-The Printer Under The Stairs
https://www.theprinterunderthestairs.com/

Offline INmachinist

Reply #269 on: July 03, 2023, 05:53:16 AM
I would certainly be interested in receiving the files if you are willing to give them out. I've got friends with 3D printers, so I could get them printed myself. The scalpel blade holder seems very helpful.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%