Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Mr. Pinchy Multi Plier Club 17812

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,826
Re: Gerber Mr. Pinchy Multi Plier Club
« Reply #330 on: September 04, 2021, 07:09:06 PM »
Wow !  Amazing detective works Hiraboo !
We have a timeline now thanks to you  :ahhh

Formerly known as MTMatt
Full Member Posts: 202
« Reply #331 on: September 06, 2021, 06:48:37 AM »
> McStitchy

Thank you very much! But I apologize, because...

M-4 patent marking was appeared during the period when V4 was sold. V5 was sold later.
So my guess is not correct that they changed M-3 to M-4 around later 1995. (´Д`|||)
It should be earlier.

Looking the chart closely, it seems that M-4 was appeared at the same time when the metric scale was put on one handle. I need to find that some sellers ware advertising the metric scale as a new feature of Multi-Plier. <●><●>

And in addition, it is possible if I can find in ad the utility blade and the file as new features, guess when they were newly sold.
I will try it. (# ̄3 ̄)
« Reply #332 on: September 06, 2021, 02:26:21 PM »
> McStitchy

Thank you very much! But I apologize, because...

M-4 patent marking was appeared during the period when V4 was sold. V5 was sold later.
So my guess is not correct that they changed M-3 to M-4 around later 1995. (´Д`|||)
It should be earlier.

Looking the chart closely, it seems that M-4 was appeared at the same time when the metric scale was put on one handle. I need to find that some sellers ware advertising the metric scale as a new feature of Multi-Plier. <●><●>

That sounds about right  :tu:

Formerly known as MTMatt
« Reply #333 on: September 29, 2021, 04:09:27 PM »
About Gerber Multi–Plier Timeline 2

In the previous post, I tried to guess when the patent markings of Mr. Pinchy were appeared. It seems to help you know when some models were manufactured. However, there should be some time lag between the date of the patent and the date when the patent number was actually englaved on handles.
So this information is very rough guide to find the timeline.

As a next step, I searched for advertisements for some knives shop on Japanese magazines.
And I found some shops are introducing characteristic models as new models of Mr. Pinchy. Now I can determine directly when some models were released.
But there are some problems with this method.
  • I only have Japanese magazines. In other words, the date when the new model was released means "released in Japan", not in USA.
  • The magazines I referred to ware published bimonthly. As a result, the information could be up to two months late.
  • As Greg said, it is possible that sellers used promotional photos. So it is possible the subjects in photos were not actual models they sold. To decide actual or not, I considered their advertising phrase too.
I welcome you to bring new information and correct my mistake.

Ok, let's go.

V1

Nishimura, N. (Eds.) (June 1, 1992). "Advertisement of knives shop Oyasuya," Knife Magazine No.34 (Vol.7 No.3), p164. Japan: KK World Photo Press

This is the first time Mr. Pinchy has appeared in this magazine. This model had P-1 pliers and one handle cut-out. Obviously this is a V1 model.
Gerber first introduced Mr. Pinchy in the catalog in 1992.
Because of this magazine was published on June 1, 1992, I think the V1 model was released at the latest in May 1992.

V2

Nishimura, N. (Eds.) (April 1, 1993). "Advertisement of knives shop A&F Corporation," Knife Magazine No.39 (Vol.8 No.2), p4. Japan: KK World Photo Press

The seller introduced this as "the new model of the Gerber multi-tool".
Obviously this is a V2 model. There have been many changes from V1 to V2. However, there was only one functional change. So I think "the new model" means "the new model equipped with a utility blade instead of scissors". Yes it's V2, certainly.
Because of this magazine was published on April 1, 1993, I think the V2 model was released at the latest in March 1993.

V4 and Toolkit

Nishimura, N. (Eds.) (June 1, 1994). "Advertisement of knives shop CREEK," Knife Magazine No.46 (Vol.9 No.3), p67. Japan: KK World Photo Press

The seller said this model is "The latest model with a second improvement".
The first feature change was the equipment of the utility blade. The second change was the equipment of the file. That is a feature of V4.
Because of this magazine was published on June 1, 1994, I think the V4 model was released at the latest in May 1994.

In addition, the seller announced "The toolkit of multi-plier was newly released".
So the toolkit and V4 seemed to release at the same time!

This story goes on a little longer...
« Reply #334 on: September 29, 2021, 08:45:18 PM »
This is great, thank you for keeping at it Hiraboo  :hatsoff:

I now know that my buddy most probably bought a v4 Pinchy at our time in El Paso, TX back in '95  :tu:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 10:32:36 PM by McStitchy »

Formerly known as MTMatt
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 34,088
« Reply #335 on: September 29, 2021, 09:42:48 PM »
Stunning detective work hiraboo.  :hatsoff:

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
« Reply #336 on: October 02, 2021, 12:07:01 PM »
> McStitchy

Thank you very much  :hatsoff:
I'm glad to hear your memory about Mr. Pinchy. It's been a quarter of a century since Mr. Pinchy became your other buddy.
(ᵒ̤̑ ◁ ᵒ̤̑)wow!

> Gareth

Thank you very much  :hatsoff:
I use my brain only when talking about Mr. Pinchy.
I am wonkish.(^~^;)

About Gerber Multi–Plier Timeline 3

V5 Needle-nose

The time when V5 Needle-nose model was released is as I posted before.

Nishimura, N. (Eds.) (December 1995). "Advertisement of knives shop CREEK," Knife Magazine No.55 (Vol.10 No.6), p39. Japan: KK World Photo Press

The seller said "the needle-nose model of Multi-Plier is newly released". Needle-nose pliers were a new feature of V5.
Because of this magazine was published on December 1, 1995, I think the V5 needle-nose model was released at the latest in November 1995.

V5 Blunt-nose ?

There is also the V5 blunt-nose model. I thought the V5 needle-nose and the V5 blunt-nose were released at the same time.
But I can't find any evidence.

For example...

Nishimura, N. (Eds.) (February 1996). "GERBER knife catalog," Knife Magazine No.56 (Vol.11 No.1), p21. Japan: KK World Photo Press
Upper:V4 P-6 pliers model
Lower:V5 Needle-nose pliers model

I think it is natural that the writer borrowed the latest items from import agents to take pictures. But they didn't get the V5 blunt-nose yet at that time.

Was there many V4 surplus in stock?
Didn't Gerber manufacture V5 blunt-nose yet?

I couldn't figure out why. No pictures of V5 blunt-nose appear in subsequent issues of this magazine.

Similarity of MPT5 and V5 Needle-nose

GERBER MPT5 was released just before Multi-Plier V5 needle-nose model was released.

Nishimura, N. (Eds.) (February 1996). "Advertisement of knives shop CREEK," Knife Magazine No.56 (Vol.11 No.1), p67. Japan: KK World Photo Press

The seller said "(75) GERBER multi tool (Leatherman-type)[New product] 12 samples in stock". There was no photo about this tool, but it is clearly the Leatherman-type butterfly opening multi tool MPT5.
Because of this magazine was published on February 1, 1996, I think the MPT5 was released at the latest in January 1996.

In 1996, the MPT5 was released first, then the V5 needle-nose model was released.
Hmmm I see...
I will compare these two models.

Black: MPT5
Silver: V5 needle-nose

Wow ! It's obvious their pliers are very similar !
See another thread for more information on MPT5.
Influenced by the success of the MPT5, Gerber may have improved the Multi-Plier, the V5 needle-nose model.

When Multi-Lock Released: End of Product

GERBER Multi-Lock(now called MP600) is the successor model to Multi-Plier.

Nishimura, N. (Eds.) (June 1997). "The latest catalog of tool-knives '97 ③," Knife Magazine No.64 (Vol.12 No.3), p91. Japan: KK World Photo Press

The article says, "Multi-Lock will be released in April."
So I think the Multi-Lock was released in April 1997, and the Multi-Plier was discontinued at the same time.

Good work Mr. Pinchy. Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 02:45:40 PM by hiraboo »
« Reply #337 on: October 02, 2021, 07:13:19 PM »
Great read ! Thank you very much Hiraboo  :cheers:

Formerly known as MTMatt
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 57,140
« Reply #338 on: October 02, 2021, 11:07:10 PM »
 :iagree: :tu:
« Reply #339 on: October 03, 2021, 03:19:35 PM »
> McStitchy

It must be very hard to understand my funny English. Thank you to read !
(*´▽`)/

> SteveC

(*′∇`*)φ.。.:*・тндйкуO∪.。.*・゜☆.。

> All

I made a mistake.

In 1996, the MPT5 was released first, then the V5 needle-nose model was released.
Influenced by the success of the MPT5, Gerber may have improved the Multi-Plier, the V5 needle-nose model.

The V5 needle-nose was released in November 1995. MPT5 was released in January 1996.
The V5 needle-nose was released first, then the MPT5 was released.
The order was reversed.

I think that the MPT5 was first developed as a military item and then released as a consumer product.
So I don't know the true birthday of MPT5. It is possible that they are twins !

Digression

When I introduced UPO14 before, I said "combination of P-2 pliers and the file is too early event." To tell the truth, I was worried that someone might have modified it.
But I find a photo in the magazine.

UPO14, reposted

Nishimura, N. (Eds.) (April 1996). "Visiting GERBER factory," Knife Magazine No.57 (Vol.11 No.2), p9. Japan: KK World Photo Press

This is a banner once raising at the GERBER factory in Portland, OR.
I am very surprised it is just same as UPO14.

GERBER Multi-Plier Pinchology 7th revision

Now I revised the chart !

• I rearranged them more naturally.
  • I added No.116(V2) and No.117(V3).
  • I put timestamps. But don't trust the color of columns.

Please right click to download.

And PDF version is here ↓
* Pinchology rev7.pdf (Filesize: 123.83 KB)
« Reply #340 on: October 03, 2021, 05:04:59 PM »
Your English is great Hiraboo  :tu:
Thank you for the new chart  :ahhh

Btw, I think a banner with a "sketch" of a tool doesn't necessarily make it a real tool.
They probably had the plan to implement a file very early but couldn't find a supplier.
UPO14 could be a prototype maybe.
What do you think?

Formerly known as MTMatt
« Reply #341 on: October 04, 2021, 01:48:53 PM »
> McStitchy

I still can't believe I can communicate in English.
Thank you for your kindness, and also for your patience. (*´▽`人)

Btw,

About the mystery of alternate components (scissors / utility blade / file), please see my previous post.

Instructions of the FIRST PRODUCTION RUN model, which I purchased with the tool. (reposted)

Please take a closer look. It has the word "UTILITY BLADE / ALTERNATE COMPONENT" and the next section has "scissors / file".
As you say, Gerber seems to have decided very early on to use these three alternate components. And I agree that UPO14 could be a prototype maybe.

And It may have something to do with the Mr. Pinchy FISKARS models, which have both a utility blade and a file.
« Reply #342 on: October 04, 2021, 09:44:56 PM »
Oh, yes  :ahhh

Formerly known as MTMatt

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: $41.47