Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fire Kit - Badge Request

Sos24 · 14 · 1205

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Fire Kit - Badge Request
on: April 15, 2021, 03:25:46 AM
My Fire Kit is rather small compared to some I’ve seen but it works well for me.
The kit consists of:
- Clipper Mini lighter
- Lite My Fire Scout Ferro Rod and Striker
- Baddest Bees Fire Fuse with snuffer tube
- Mini Infernos
My usual manor for starting a fire is to put a piece of a mini inferno pulled apart inside my wood and tinder pile.  I then use the ferro rod to light a baddest bees fuse.  I use the fuse to light the mini inferno and tinder.  Once I get the fire lit, I use the snuffer tube to put out the fuse.  I like using the fuse because with the snuffer tube, it is easy to hold and control the amount that is burned. 

I have tried other softer and bigger ferro rods that throw bigger sparks, that I know a lot of people swear by, but for me the Lite My Fire is just easier.

The lighter usually only gets used if I am in a hurry or it is really cold.

se Offline RF52

Re: Fire Kit - Badge Request
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 07:59:01 AM
Nice and handy little kit :like:

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

au Offline Echotech

Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 08:03:26 AM
:like: very useful looking kit Sos

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 11:49:56 AM
Awarded.   :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 02:34:13 PM
Nice little kit and congratulations on the badge! :cheers:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 05:53:12 PM
Thanks zoidberg for the badge.

Thanks RF52, Echotech, and ReamerPinch for the compliment on the kit.n

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 10:56:29 PM
Congrats on the Badge.  Small kit but very well appointed.  I think its probably better to have a kit you'd carry rather than a heft one you might leave at home  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 06:13:36 PM
Well deserved badge and congrats on that!

The snuffer tube and fuse idea is brilliant, I'd learn something new today and thanks to this!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 10:04:49 PM
Congrats on the Badge.  Small kit but very well appointed.  I think its probably better to have a kit you'd carry rather than a heft one you might leave at home  :tu:.

Thanks.  The entire aspect of small that will carry vs larger that gets left is so true.  Over the years, I have gone back and forth on carry items keeping this in mind.  I’ve actually tailored down the core of my edc to what fits comfortable in my cargo shorts, because I realized if it had to go in a bag, it was more likely to get left.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 10:15:48 PM
 :iagree:.  I've tried a few times to carry a some type of bag.  I just cannot seem to stay with it.  If it fits in my pocket or I can use a pouch then perfect.  You kit is every bit as capable as some of the very large ones I've seen. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 10:20:02 PM
Well deserved badge and congrats on that!

The snuffer tube and fuse idea is brilliant, I'd learn something new today and thanks to this!

The snuffer tube is definitely nice.  You can even use a longer tube and different type of wick, which I’ve seen sometimes called slow match.  I have this one that I sometimes add to my kit (still fits in same bag).  Works good if trying to start multiple spots, windy, or with solid fuel that might take a little bit to actually start.

I recently ordered what I have seen called a Sailor’s Windproof Trench lighter.  It incorporates a trench lighter style striker, onto the wick with tube for an all in one solution not requiring fuel.  I can’t wait to try it but it could take a while for shipping.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 03:53:26 AM
I recently added so,e mini fat wood sticks to my fire kit.

I’ve heard a lot about fat wood being a good fire starting tinder. But being in a more urban environment, it isn’t like I can just go cut a piece anytime I want and I also wasn’t that interested in carrying large chunks of wood in my small kit.  I discovered where I could get some rather small finger size pieces of fatwood to try.  To my surprise it actually works better than I was expecting.  I used a SAK to just shave off a some feathers and threw them in my little twig stove with so,e twigs.  By the time the feathers were done burning, all the other twigs were nicely burning.  One finger size fatwood stick started 3 small fires. 

I’m still going to use my baddest bees fuze (or hemp wick) to light the fatwood, rather than lighting the fatwood directly from a ferro rod,  The fuses light easier from a spark and the snuffer metal piece gives you something to hold while lighting multiple places. But a few small fatwood sticks will also join my fire kit.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 04:01:29 AM by Sos24 »

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 05:39:39 AM
I recently added so,e mini fat wood sticks to my fire kit.

I’ve heard a lot about fat wood being a good fire starting tinder. But being in a more urban environment, it isn’t like I can just go cut a piece anytime I want and I also wasn’t that interested in carrying large chunks of wood in my small kit.  I discovered where I could get some rather small finger size pieces of fatwood to try.  To my surprise it actually works better than I was expecting.  I used a SAK to just shave off a some feathers and threw them in my little twig stove with so,e twigs.  By the time the feathers were done burning, all the other twigs were nicely burning.  One finger size fatwood stick started 3 small fires. 

I’m still going to use my baddest bees fuze (or hemp wick) to light the fatwood, rather than lighting the fatwood directly from a ferro rod,  The fuses light easier from a spark and the snuffer metal piece gives you something to hold while lighting multiple places. But a few small fatwood sticks will also join my fire kit.

Great addition  :tu:

The kit the missus got me came with a bundle of fatwood pieces of similar length to those, probably fat enough to make 4ish of them.

I split one down to your kind of size to reasonably carry it in the kit. Though splitting it on a concrete slab was not the brightest idea and that knife's tip doesn't look at me the same anymore  :facepalm:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 06:00:16 AM
Great addition  :tu:

The kit the missus got me came with a bundle of fatwood pieces of similar length to those, probably fat enough to make 4ish of them.

I split one down to your kind of size to reasonably carry it in the kit. Though splitting it on a concrete slab was not the brightest idea and that knife's tip doesn't look at me the same anymore  :facepalm:

I started cutting on concrete, but fortunately thought to put down a piece of old chipboard before anything happened to the knife.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%