Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Scientist Club Thread 1795

No Life Club Posts: 1,687
Scientist Club Thread
« on: June 10, 2018, 05:27:24 PM »
Am I missing it or is there no Victorinox Scientist Club thread?

The Scientist is one of my favorite all-time Vx SAKs.  I bought my first one in 1991 or 1992, and liked it so much I decided to buy a spare for safe keeping.  Eventually I sent my original into Vx to have the scales replaced and so I got the spare out and started carrying it.  Of course now I wish I hadn't, so recently I spent a silly amount of money on what I call my "new, spare, NOS Scientist." 

What I love about this knife is the in-line Phillips and two-layer construction.  It's everything I need in an EDC tool. 

What do you say?  Can we start a Club for Scientist fans? 

Myron

My first Scientist, "modded" by me 20 years ago to eliminate the key ring (I know, I know, what was I thinking....)

My second Scientist, aka First Spare Scientist, kept new-in-box until it was pressed into service. 

My third Scientist, aka Second Spare Scientist, which will be kept new-in-box.  :)

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,850
Re: Scientist Club Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 02:08:48 AM »
Reporting in with my Scientist, top left in the photo:
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,180 Bon Journee!!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 02:17:12 AM »
I like it!! 

Barry
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 04:23:33 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Excellent; we are now the Scientist Club.  What will we do with our awesome power?  Will we use it for the good of mankind, or for the attainment of personal power?  And so it begins....

(Sorry, just finished watching Dr. Strange with my kid.) 
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 05:07:22 AM »
(Sorry, just finished watching Dr. Strange with my kid.)
I haven't seen that movie.  I just looked it up and it looks interesting.  :cheers:
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,599 Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 02:16:39 PM »

if a burglar enters your house and sees this while looking for things to steal,
he will think you have multiple personalities and a variety of different jobs,
and I bet he'll be afraid to take anything and will leave the house all scared  :D

Good idea  :tu: :like:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 04:01:43 PM »
and I bet he'll be afraid to take anything and will leave the house all scared  :D
He wouldn't want to be chased down the driveway by Princess Woodsman I know that.  :cheers:
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,351 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 01:24:36 AM »
I have 2.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 05:04:24 AM »
Nice!
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,648
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 07:27:55 PM »
I can report in this club thanks to Marc_in_NS.

I never thought to even see a Scientist in the flesh, yet he actualy GAVE it to me about 3-4 months ago! :ahhh

Talking about a RAK...

Sr. Member Posts: 339 Carpe omnia cultris
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 09:23:24 PM »
The Scientist is one of my favorite SAK models, no doubt about it.  I have an original one that I found NIB with the straight-pin-less Plus scales, and I have a custom Ti Scientist built by our own Syph007.  Robert converted the old school plastic magnifier into a brass beauty.

(\(\                                                                                ⁁ -----,__
( -.-)  o˫▄▄═ ‑‑‑-----------------------------------     _____⁁[_____}═══════
0(")(")    /|\                                                       /_____________\
"""""""""""""""""""I                                                ',(o)(o)(o)(o)(o),'
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 09:22:35 AM »
:bump:
No Life Club Posts: 1,404
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 08:33:02 PM »
Bought my Scientist as a mod, seller was up front so no surprises.  Bought it strictly to put in the “watch box” for looking at tiny numbers inside the watches.  Nice and thin......... :cheers:
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,490
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 05:19:37 PM »
The Scientist is one of my favorite SAK models, no doubt about it.  I have an original one that I found NIB with the straight-pin-less Plus scales, and I have a custom Ti Scientist built by our own Syph007.  Robert converted the old school plastic magnifier into a brass beauty.
A Scientist SAK...I never knew. Very interesting model. I like what Syph007 has done with this. Very nice.  :tu: :cheers:
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,538 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 05:38:46 PM »
I have 2.

Why am I not surprised?!...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,538 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 05:40:36 PM »
I can report in this club thanks to Marc_in_NS.

I never thought to even see a Scientist in the flesh, yet he actualy GAVE it to me about 3-4 months ago! :ahhh

Talking about a RAK...

Again, no surprises here...

:cheers: :tu: :hatsoff:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Full Member Posts: 199

Gio ch

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 06:10:20 PM »
They’re so good! 👏👏

“What kind of music do you dumbasses even play?”
“Symphonic post-apocalyptic reindeer-grinding Christ-abusing extreme war pagan fennoscandian metal.”

Heavy Trip (2018 movie)
Full Member Posts: 113
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2019, 08:34:14 PM »
I'd like to join this club!
I liked the Scientist so much, and originals were so expensive, that I was going to mod one from an Explorer and a Compact.  Then I ran across one in excellent condition on EBay and snapped it up.  I think mine is from 1991-1999, as it has a smooth corkscrew instead of a fluted one.  The Plus scales do include a straight pin hole.  What a great two layer VSAK. :cheers:
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 09:07:10 PM »
Cool.  :tu:
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2019, 12:39:03 AM »
I have the same version :D

Gifted to me by a forum member now vanished... :(
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,180 Bon Journee!!
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2019, 03:33:57 AM »
Very nice everyone!

Barry
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2019, 05:21:24 AM »
I haven't seen that movie.  I just looked it up and it looks interesting.  :cheers:
It is a very good movie! And he is a very good actor. He has done several really good movies. He plays Sherlock Holmes also. Played Kahn in Star Trek. Really good!  :whistle:
 :cheers:
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2019, 05:29:27 AM »
Just checked the prices on EBay...oh boy, thats out of my range for sure. I will just watch from the sidelines. I may just mod one from one of the two donors I have saved up.
No Life Club Posts: 1,373
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 08:19:02 PM »
Lots of light today so I thought I'd try shooting outdoors. My Scientists - all four variants that I know of + an Engineer thrown in because it seemed to belong.

Scientist
1. 1986: Small "v", grooved corkscrew, spacer on Philips spring, no pin
2. c. 1989: Large "V", grooved corkscrew, bump on Philips spring, no pin
3. c. 1996: Large "V", solid corkscrew, bump on Philips spring, pin
4. 2009: 2.0mm Vss blade, 5x plastic mag glass, shorter locking Philips

Engineer
5. c. 1988: Large "V", grooved corkscrew, spacer on Philips spring, no pin, Technician screwdriver
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 09:46:30 PM »
Lots of light today so I thought I'd try shooting outdoors. My Scientists - all four variants that I know of + an Engineer thrown in because it seemed to belong.

Scientist
1. 1986: Small "v", grooved corkscrew, spacer on Philips spring, no pin
2. c. 1989: Large "V", grooved corkscrew, bump on Philips spring, no pin
3. c. 1996: Large "V", solid corkscrew, bump on Philips spring, pin
4. 2009: 2.0mm Vss blade, 5x plastic mag glass, shorter locking Philips

Engineer
5. c. 1988: Large "V", grooved corkscrew, spacer on Philips spring, no pin, Technician screwdriver
Nice collection there!  :iagree: :cheers:
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2019, 01:07:43 PM »
Jazzbass, this is amazing.   I never knew that the Scientist went as late as 2009 and was produced with the transparent scales and plastic magnifier.   

I will check the three I have at home for their distinguishing characteristics. 

Myron
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2019, 01:21:01 PM »
Wasn't the Transparent one a +B run?
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2019, 05:17:00 PM »
Wasn't the Transparent one a +B run?

It was indeed. IIRC it was one of his first runs that was actually produced by the factory. I think some of his earlier models he assembled himself from factory supplied parts.
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2019, 05:18:36 PM »
It was indeed. IIRC it was one of his first runs that was actually produced by the factory. I think some of his earlier models he assembled himself from factory supplied parts.
So he did built his own mods??
I always presumed all runs came from factory... :dunno:
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2019, 05:44:04 PM »
So he did built his own mods??
I always presumed all runs came from factory... :dunno:

I'm fairly certain that this is the case. It's interesting because all this is ancient history now 10+ years on, but this is what I remember (and welcome any corrections to my recollection):

Early +B special runs were made by him in his shop using factory supplied parts - in other words, he wasn't buying new/used assembled knives, dissembling for parts, and recreating new models like mere mortal modders. He had some relationship with the factory that allowed him to order the parts he needed to make his knives. He was also apparently trained by Victorinox to hand assemble correctly, and the result was a knife that Victorinox considered "factory" and would actually warranty. He made a couple runs like this including a 91mm Lumberjack, a Yeoman Mechanic, and *I think* his first run of Yeomans (def not 100% on that last one). +B did two rounds of Yeoman Mechanics, the first he assembled c. 2008-2009 and the second done by the factory in 2011. Both have ruby scales so you can see the rivets through the scales. On the earlier run you can definitely see file marks across the tops of the rivets. The 2011 run the rivet peening is 100% factory.

It was a bit of drama at the time because apparently +B had a very negative (and somewhat vocal) view of the modding community. Some felt this was a bit hypocritical since what he was selling were essentially mods themselves. My understanding of his view was was that his knives were different from that of a regular modder because (a) he was trained and certified by the factory, (b) he was using brand new parts not parts taken from other knives, so his mods were closer to "factory correct" than that of the rest of the community that weren't factory trained and were using parts of questionable provenance, and (c) because of a and b his knives had a Victorinox factory warranty.

I think some people were just put off by the fact that he approached the situation with typical Teutonic bluntness, which may not have been the best approach PR-wise. Whatever the case, AFAIK from 2010 on all his special runs were factory produced, thus resolving the grey area of "mod or factory" that existed around his earlier models. Then he jumped on the "special run alox" gravy train that was big on this board in the early 2010s and the cellidor special runs became fewer and far between. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 07:40:41 PM by jazzbass »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $10.66
PayPal Fees: $0.63
Net Balance: $10.03
Below Goal: $289.97
Site Currency: USD