Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are you a Corkscrew person, a Phillips screwdriver person, or neither? And why?

Beery · 106 · 10237

Poll

On the SAK you use most, which tool goes in that slot that can only fit a corkscrew or Phillips screwdriver?

Phillips screwdriver
Corkscrew
My SAK doesn't have that slot

00 Offline undertaker99

How can people drink wine I had never had it before but got a bottle to test my corkscrew.  It tasted so bad I had to throw the whole thing out.  Will never drink wine again.  So nasty.

cs Offline marko14

• No Life Club
Corkscrew for me,since i can use other tools on SAK as screwdriver in most situations.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Myoman

How can people drink wine I had never had it before but got a bottle to test my corkscrew.  It tasted so bad I had to throw the whole thing out.  Will never drink wine again.  So nasty.

Try a moscato. They are sweet.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club

Lol...  :facepalm:

Just because you tasted one wine (maybe a crappy one) doesn't mean all wine tasted bad and that you hate all wine... there are hundreds of different types of fine wine to choose from...

Nevertheless i agree this corkscrew vs phillips will never end... I like both for a number of different reasons, and tool-wise it makes zero difference to me which one is on the sak i'm carrying really... I'm on a corkscrew phase kind of sak's right now, in a while i'll miss my phillips ones and carry those...

For SD function as i've said on other occasions, all i really need is the flathead on the bottle opener or combo tool or any other similar flat piece of metal...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 07:39:05 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

za Offline WaynejG

You get wine and then you get wine

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline Myoman

I recently acquired my dream mod...the urban champ, and I was chomping at the bit to use it. We had company and as my friend was leaving he took off his glasses and asked if I had a small screwdriver. I whipped out Urb and gave him the eyeglass screwdriver, which he said worked perfectly.

The ironic part was that after they left, I was planning to replace the "useless screwdriver" with a saftey pin. It turns out that the eyeglass screwdriver was the first thing I did with my sak. To wit, it would not possible if I didn't have the corkscrew. The corkscrew and its screwdriver, which I dismissed as superfluous, was the one thing I needed.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Yay, go cork-screw-people!  :tu: I dunno how many times that tool saved my charisma from hopelessly digging thru drawers in friends' homes for a stand-alone cork-screw.

And shame on you, people-who-do-not-complain-about-nonlinear-philips-screwdrivers!  :pok:  :twak:

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
I recently acquired my dream mod...the urban champ, and I was chomping at the bit to use it. We had company and as my friend was leaving he took off his glasses and asked if I had a small screwdriver. I whipped out Urb and gave him the eyeglass screwdriver, which he said worked perfectly.

The ironic part was that after they left, I was planning to replace the "useless screwdriver" with a saftey pin. It turns out that the eyeglass screwdriver was the first thing I did with my sak. To wit, it would not possible if I didn't have the corkscrew. The corkscrew and its screwdriver, which I dismissed as superfluous, was the one thing I needed.

I searched the forum but could not find any pics (my bad maybe?). Care to show off with pics?  :pok:  :D :D

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Again, both. Corkscrew for heritage and for the usual other reasons: for holding the mini SD; for unscrewing corks; for untying knots. All sorts of things if your imagination allows. But the Phillips, although pretty much a single trick horse and largely superfluous IMO if you have the can opener, eats it in handling comfort. Best to carry knives with each, I reckon. How about a primary knife with the Phillips and a Waiter ready with the CS?
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbjnjhnuu nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnn*nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj/h\
[That's Don Federico's opinion, dirty paws and awl ::). Catnip being his drug of choice, he always votes Phillips.]

How about keeping a safety pin on the keyring, to have both worlds?

Also, this Urban Champ mod sounds fascinating. Care to share more about it? :pok:
Rambler

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club

I hated my first glass of beer - Soon changed my mind on that one!!   :tu:    ;)    :D

00 Offline undertaker99

can opener sucks for phillips.  it does work but it always slips and puts chips in it.  I prefer to use the correct tool for the job and leave my can opener chip free.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 03:14:31 PM by undertaker99 »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law

well, given your age I'd say it's almost normal.
I hated the taste of beer, most wines, and many other things when I was that young, and I know thousands of others who did/do too
It's an acquired taste that oftentimes develops with age :salute:

Same with coffee, few teens and very few kids like it, most adults like or love it  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
As another ‘99er, I haven’t found a beer that I like yet. But apple cider is nice. Wines are more palatable than beer.
In general though, I have alcoholic drinks rarely. Which explains my lack of an acquired taste.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline GrandpaPatch

I have never been a wine person and have no memory (Old'heimers maybe?) of ever using the corkscrew. The phillips screwdriver I have used but, like mentioned earlier I have not used it that often as there is normally a decent screwdriver lying around.
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

us Offline HWF

I prefer the corkscrew. The phillips on the back has never worked the best for my needs, and I like having the micro SD in the corkscrew.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
can opener sucks for phillips.  it does work but it always slips and puts chips in it.  I prefer to use the correct tool for the job and leave my can opener chip free.

I disagree... I actually think the can opener does a very decent job on the Phillips, as good (sometimes better) as the back side Phillips. The light scratches and dings will happen on all the tools from use, including the back Phillips.

As for "the right tool for the job", that would be an "actual" screwdriver, with the correct size and shape for the screw...   :pok:

:D

Seriously though... The tools on the sak are almost never "the right tool" for anything, only the "best tool possible" because it's in your pocket and it's what you have with you... :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 07:59:54 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%