Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bolsters advice

gb Offline craggus2000

Bolsters advice
on: June 08, 2019, 09:52:28 PM
The next major sak mod I'm planning is hopefully going to have a set of brass bolsters.

To that end I thought this thread could be dedicated to giving general advice for making/installing bolsters on sak mods...

I do have a couple of specific questions though  :think:

What's the best type of solder and technique for soldering brass bolsters to brass liners? Would normal solder for plumbing be good enough or better with silver solder?

When drilling pivot holes through the bolster should I counter sink them slightly (similar to the collars on 91mm SAKs) to aid with peening and security or is a straight hole plenty good enough?

Any other advice welcome and appreciated!!
-
Craggus2000

"If it ain't broke, break it and make it better!

gb Offline craggus2000

Re: Bolsters advice
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 11:48:23 PM
Anybody?
-
Craggus2000

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 10:17:23 AM
Your question is directed to a tiny subsection of the modding community craggus  :D I hope there's an answer on its way for you but very few people have attempted this particular mod .

I can't wait to see what you do  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 10:26:51 AM
I've planned on doing something similar, but haven't started yet, as life issues keep getting in the way.

I'll be aiming to get the scale tools in to, and won't be soldering, in case the solder finds its way into the voids, and buggering up the use of scale tools. Traditionally, the holes for the pivots were drilled with tapered bits, so when peening, there was no risk of pull through. I think countersinking them might work, but I'd be tempted to try counterboring with the next drill size, for a little less extreme step.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline craggus2000

Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 04:32:18 PM
Your question is directed to a tiny subsection of the modding community craggus  :D I hope there's an answer on its way for you but very few people have attempted this particular mod .

I can't wait to see what you do  :cheers:

True, I should have realised that. Wasn't meant to sound impatient! I'll wait and see...
-
Craggus2000

gb Offline craggus2000

Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 04:33:41 PM
Traditionally, the holes for the pivots were drilled with tapered bits, so when peening, there was no risk of pull through. I think countersinking them might work, but I'd be tempted to try counterboring with the next drill size, for a little less extreme step.
Good point, counterboring sounds like a good idea  :)
-
Craggus2000

us Offline lichan

Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 06:13:10 PM
Did you see this thread, a few below yours? https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=55599.0

gb Offline craggus2000

Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 08:02:07 PM
Yep, it was partly that thread that influenced some of my ideas  :salute:
-
Craggus2000

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 09:46:02 PM
I used plumbers solder when I did this knife Crag
I will be trying silver solder on other projects in the future

Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline craggus2000

Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 10:05:38 PM
I used plumbers solder

How did you find it? Has the knife held up well?
-
Craggus2000

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 10:21:51 PM

It's not had a huge amount of use but I don't see why it would fail
after all copper pipes in a house hold up well  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 10:40:45 PM
I have a similar mod planned and I did pick up some silver solder, mostly because I was in a store that sold it and it's not actually that expensive. I don't think it will make much difference in strength but I believe it is supposed to be less visible (thinner?).

gb Offline craggus2000

Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 02:32:21 PM
I've got some silver solder arriving today, so hopefully will get some time tonight to try it out!  :drink:
-
Craggus2000

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 09:48:15 PM

:popcorn:
Everything’s adjustable

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 11:02:31 PM
It's awesome that you were able to score such a beautiful example of Scott's work Def!  :tu:

Here is some documentation that you might want:

This is the detailed documentation that accompanied my Soldier mod: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek1jwjycl7orc44/Old_School_Victorinox_Soldier.pdf?dl=0

This is a snapshot of his website from  the Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20100513043649/http://knifecooperative.com/

Pics of my '05 Knifecoop Oldschool Soldier:

(Image removed from quote.)

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76781.0.html

au Offline Jspiggle

Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 12:32:31 PM
Ive been working on some bolstered 58mm scales. Just used regular plumbing solder to solder the bolsters to the brass liners but one fell off as I was filing so I superglued it back temporarily and it seemed to hold up just as well as the solder did to the shaping =O!!

Knowing that Im going to pin through the bolsters anyway I was planning on leaving that one bolster glued and relying mostly on the pins. Also planning on opening the very top of the 1.6mm holes up to 2mm and sanding the pins flush afterwards so I will let you know how that goes.

Right now though I cant decide if I want to put a bolster groove in or not so its just going to sit on my desk for a while unless some of you can help me decide. Yea or nay to the bolster groove?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 12:36:06 PM
I don't know about a bolster groove, but those are some fine craftsmanship! :dd: :hatsoff:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 01:01:54 PM
Ive been working on some bolstered 58mm scales. Just used regular plumbing solder to solder the bolsters to the brass liners but one fell off as I was filing so I superglued it back temporarily and it seemed to hold up just as well as the solder did to the shaping =O!!

Knowing that Im going to pin through the bolsters anyway I was planning on leaving that one bolster glued and relying mostly on the pins. Also planning on opening the very top of the 1.6mm holes up to 2mm and sanding the pins flush afterwards so I will let you know how that goes.

Right now though I cant decide if I want to put a bolster groove in or not so its just going to sit on my desk for a while unless some of you can help me decide. Yea or nay to the bolster groove?

Simples... you should do what pleases your eye the most.  :tu:

Excellent skills by the way!  :like:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 01:57:03 PM
I don't know about a bolster groove, but those are some fine craftsmanship! :dd: :hatsoff:

+1 I'm with the Don   :salute: :salute:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline lichan

Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 06:11:23 PM
Grooves.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: August 20, 2019, 09:40:24 PM
I want one of each!  :cheers:

au Offline Jspiggle

Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 11:34:59 PM
Might have to make another at some point then  :P, Im out of horn tho so lets try ebony next  :o

au Offline Jspiggle

Reply #22 on: September 09, 2019, 02:32:45 PM
Just finished up my bolstered SAK mod, you can check it out on my thread https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,82530.0.html

Two of my bolsters broke off, one glued and one soldered, while I was assembling the knife however the pinning is holding everything together perfectly due to tight tolerances in the brass and horn. Also Drilling the tops of the holes out to 2mm worked perfectly with the 1.6mm brass rods

mx Offline WDY

• kickin in the Baja
Reply #23 on: November 26, 2019, 06:15:05 AM
Hi, guys.  I'm jumping in here a little late but for what it's worth...
I've gone through a similar barrier with SAKS and a love for pocket knives in general that leads me to the more traditional methods of building "folders". The next logical step has been bolsters.
I've had good luck with silver solder and good FLUX which I think is the key, here. The solder flows at a really low temp and slides in right under the bolster which is lightly clamped to the brass liner. Am using nickle silver for that process. I got a kit from Amazon with the solder and the flux.

My son has a machine shop/welding business and knows all the fab. guys in the area. One of his suppliers has a water-jet business and he cut me some excellent SAK liners out of .040 brass sheet. A 12"X12" sheet was about $75 to do and it yielded lots of perfectly cut 91 & 84mm liners. (Don't remember how many but the whole sheet was used with little waste..maybe 20 of each size) The trick is, give him the aluminum ones to copy. Not perfectly smooth and you still gotta drill the holes but it's so nice to have a pile of precut brass liners to work with.

Another cool machine shop trick is to make integrated bolsters with liners out of brass or aluminum stock. This uses, for example, a 3/16" thick strip of brass, 1" wide, 4" long. Plenty big for a single SAK scale. An easy process for a milling machine is to start 1/2" in from the end and cut out a  section of the strip 1/8" deep, 2.5" long, and the full width. You end up with a piece with a plateau, a long cutout valley, and another plateau.  Scale material goes into the valley and the plateaus become the bolsters when rounded over. Look at the side of a Buck knife to see what I mean. Same technique. Pix show examples of soldered and integrated bolsters. I will try to do a JPG of this kind of thing. It's pretty easy and pretty cheap to do.

For the pins I use brass and always do a tiny little countersink using a Dremmel bit spun in my fingers. This is a many sided V type bit that I use gently to get just the smallest penetration. Like, maybe 10-20% of the way through the scale. Then if you're using domed pins or flush ones (sanded smooth) you still have that mechanical lock-down of the swollen pin head in the hole.

Pix below - All are 84mm SAKS
 first is a soldered nickle silver bolster
 second is integral aluminum bolster (double ended)
 third is integral brass bolster (double ended)

Cheers

sak110-1.jpg
* sak110-1.jpg (Filesize: 6.57 KB)
sak104-4.jpg
* sak104-4.jpg (Filesize: 266.3 KB)
sak114-1.jpg
* sak114-1.jpg (Filesize: 10.43 KB)
-Yager

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #24 on: November 26, 2019, 04:56:05 PM

Gotta say those ringed bolsters look mighty nice.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD