Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your Custom Adornments and Alterations 659

Hero Member Posts: 653
Your Custom Adornments and Alterations
« on: July 15, 2019, 04:24:31 PM »
What do you like to add to your SAK, to make it your own, to individualize it?

I often change the scales to something more interesting than the typical red cellidor, and shortly afterward the keyring fob goes on. After a few minutes of bare fobbed life, the tiny baubles begin to collect, which is an ever-evolving process.

Case in point is the SwissTank. Within minutes of unboxing the NOS SwissChamp, the olive G-10 scales were modified for a rounded smooth finish, and snapped on.

After trying a few different materials and patterns, a Latigo leather fob was eventually decided on. I really wanted to go for a rather natural and vintage looking theme with the SwissTank, since the intention was to feature this knife on this summer's Adirondack camping trips (which start this Friday!!!!).

Knots were placed strategically along the fob's length, as attachment points for belt hangers and such. The length of the fob itself is important to me, as I prefer that larger clipped items hang below the length of the frame, so as not to interfere with grip when using the knife.

Then the adornments began to pile up. First the amazingly handy Photon flashlight was clipped on. Then a tiny Baltic amber pendant was added. Next I drilled a hole in an old Swiss Rappen, and ran it through the keyring.

And just last night, I crafted a couple of small natural canvas micarta beads to cinch the fob tight to the keyring. It's interesting that the micarta perfectly blends in with the leather, and you hardly even notice that there's a difference in material. Natural canvas micarta, despite being man made, has a wonderfully organic look to it.

What's next. I don't know. I may spring for a couple of brass beads to add to the fob. Or they may wait for the SwissTank Mark 2, which is just in the planning stage at this point.

--
'Buzz
Sr. Member Posts: 274
Re: Your Custom Adornments and Alterations
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 05:54:04 PM »
Great Pics Buzz!!   :hatsoff:

Once you go SAK, you'll never go back.
No Life Club Posts: 1,379
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 06:13:28 PM »
Great look Buzz!

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,130 Bon Journee!!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 06:34:02 PM »
 :iagree: :tu: :tu:

Barry
No Life Club Posts: 3,198
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 07:15:34 PM »
Nice work!

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,819
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 08:56:02 PM »
I like the tank everytime I see it.

I also like the non-red scales.  I’ve bought a couple knives with special scales then change them to SAKs I use more often.  Like I bought a WWP Adaptive Sports Tinker just so I could put the scales on my Yeoman.  When I got my Woodsman, I thought the Rocky Mountain NP scales that came on a camper would be more fitting on the Woodsman.  I tend to put a short paracord fob on my SAKs to make it easier to pull from an organizer or pocket.  For those with a corkscrew and pin slot, I replace the pin with a threaded needle then wrap the thread (one strand of braided kevlar) around the corkscrew held in place by a piece of straw.
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 09:32:56 PM »
For those with a corkscrew and pin slot, I replace the pin with a threaded needle.

GENIUS!!!!  :like:

--
'Buzz
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 10:35:34 PM »
Thanks.  You have to find a small enough needle, but it has come in handy before.
Hero Member Posts: 872 Improvisational Engineer
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 03:23:28 AM »
Vic RangerGrip with lanyard, ferro rod toggle, and a sterling silver campfire charm.

-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,130 Bon Journee!!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 04:42:01 AM »
Great job everyone!

Barry
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 06:56:52 AM »
I like the ferro rod on lanyard.

I always thought it would be interesting if I could find a ferro rod that would fit inside the corkscrew, but I haven’t found one.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,144
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 07:35:16 AM »
I like the ferro rod on lanyard.

I always thought it would be interesting if I could find a ferro rod that would fit inside the corkscrew, but I haven’t found one.

That's a great idea, I think I've seen some pictures in the past where people fit a thin round ferro rod inside the corkscrew.  But ideally, wouldn't it be great if the entire grey corkscrew holder is made of ferro rod?  I'd also seen the firefly ferro rod to fit into the toothpick slot, but that is much thinner and I worry it may break under heavier use.

And thank you all these photo for ideas, I usually just have a plain old paracord with a bead.  Some personal touch would probably be nice.

Join Daredevil Challenge in August and get Free magnets!
Comis Gear Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 09:23:31 AM »
That's a great idea, I think I've seen some pictures in the past where people fit a thin round ferro rod inside the corkscrew.  But ideally, wouldn't it be great if the entire grey corkscrew holder is made of ferro rod?  I'd also seen the firefly ferro rod to fit into the toothpick slot, but that is much thinner and I worry it may break under heavier use.

And thank you all these photo for ideas, I usually just have a plain old paracord with a bead.  Some personal touch would probably be nice.

I do have a couple firefly ferro rods.  I did break one testing it out.  It is also easy to gouge them if strike too hard.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,144
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 10:07:55 AM »
I do have a couple firefly ferro rods.  I did break one testing it out.  It is also easy to gouge them if strike too hard.

:facepalm: It's a pretty cool idea to be honest, but it is just difficult to expect it to be robust at the same time when they are so thin in shape.  I just don't think I would remember to put a finger underneath the rod when I'm stressed in situation.  So far, the paracord toggle seems to be the best bet.

Join Daredevil Challenge in August and get Free magnets!
Comis Gear Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2019, 06:45:50 PM »

:facepalm: It's a pretty cool idea to be honest, but it is just difficult to expect it to be robust at the same time when they are so thin in shape.  I just don't think I would remember to put a finger underneath the rod when I'm stressed in situation.  So far, the paracord toggle seems to be the best bet.

That is why I like the paracord toggle.  It is also why I also always carry a mini clipper lighter.  Even if the lighter runs out of fuel the flint wheel is easily pulled out to use for sparks that are as good or better than the firefly but easier to get.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,005
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 08:49:57 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHEERS
Hero Member Posts: 693 Average Old Guy.
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 02:18:45 AM »
Loving the concept behind The Tank adornments.

Depending on the knife, there's no telling what I may do.
Normally, I'll do something with paracord, but here's a 58mm that I wanted a chain on.  Fob from an old spoon.

Addicted to sharp pointy things.
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 03:32:46 AM »
Loving the concept behind The Tank adornments.

Depending on the knife, there's no telling what I may do.
Normally, I'll do something with paracord, but here's a 58mm that I wanted a chain on.  Fob from an old spoon.

That’s awesome.  Extra points awarded for creativity.   :like: 

--
'Buzz
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 25,301
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 06:05:57 AM »
Very creative with the spoon fob  :like:

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!