Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Early Gerbers

damota · 38 · 4300

Offline damota

Early Gerbers
on: February 28, 2007, 01:43:26 PM

Hmmmm,

I think that I will have to disagree with this . In gerbers rush to bring to market thier first multiplier the nail nicks on the outside blades faced toward the center of the handles as well as being forward of where the nail notches on the handles were located . A very obviious blunder . As well as this tool earning a reputation of being a palm pincher . I cannot believe that they spent much time testing this tool in R & D . Fortunately thier tool and quality has improved somewhat But thier first tool was poor too say the least . ( I still own one as it is a nice collectable But it is poor )

The blades being fitted the wrong way is an assembly fault by wherever it was assembled and should have been picked up by the QC. The finger nipping was something that should have been foreseen if they had used the right people to test the product on but I can bet with that sliding mechanism they were guarded as to who handled those first tools till patents were at least in the process of being registered, so I guess it was only handled by pen pushers rather than future users. They also probably only designed cutlery before so they had to find out what the testing procedure would have to be and include.
Can I ask a favour? If you have not changed the blades round so the finger nicks are still wrong could you put a photo up in the <The Gerber ttthat bit> thread in the review section so it can be compared with the one I got here in the UK probably a year after you got yours (we always seem to get the new stuff a year or so after you guys.)  :cry: 

Dave

Offline damota

Re: Hall of Shame
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 05:48:20 PM

The first multiplier did not have the slide locks , rather it simply had spring tension as the original PST . It was also the only multiplier model to have a polished finish .

Yes, sorry I should have been more precise, I meant the way the plier head slid out and locked with the sprung center pin. When it arrived over here they had changed the finish to bead blast but it still had the slip lock for the handle tools.
One fault I had a couple of times was the front one of the three pins dropping down the hole made for the center pin if someone attempted to use it with the head not being properly locked. They cured that with the big circlip on the MP600 and I guess the MP400 but I have never had an interest in that model.

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Early Gerbers
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 02:52:22 AM
Here's a picture of several Gerber tools, specifically the plier slide locks. Early tools on the left, current 400 and 600 series tools on the right.   
gerbs.jpg
* gerbs.jpg (Filesize: 67.99 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 03:12:16 AM
Here's a picture of the First Production Run Gerber that lonediver was referring to. I must agree, it seems as if this tool was rushed to the marketplace a bit too quickly. In addition to the nail nick blunder, there was also the crudely made scissors tool.

However, I forgive Gerber for the shortcomings of this tool. It was their first multitool, it was a long time ago, and not many of these "got out" into the public before improvements were made.
fpr1.jpg
* fpr1.jpg (Filesize: 52.64 KB)
fpr2.jpg
* fpr2.jpg (Filesize: 71.92 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline damota

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 01:54:32 PM
Thanks Bob, now I can fully understand what lonedivers complaint was.
The first one I bought was the one I wrote about in the <The Gerber tthat bit> thread. It came with a tool kit that was built into a flap that press studded on the pouch, I loaned it out and than realized I needed it, Quick. As I would not see the guy I loaned it to for over a week and it was before mobile phones so I could not arrange anything. I knew I could get one delivered next day so I bought one without the tool kit. That's why I ended up with 2. The new one was given to my eldest son when the loaned one came back, my youngest son got the other when I bought the MP600.
I have no way of knowing if the first was ever over here but at the time I was told that "Gerber had just brought out a multitool that seemed to be more suitable for one hand use" (I can not see the point of paying all that money for a tool that replaces three to five small dedicated tools that can all be put in your rear jeans pocket and used with one hand if you have to take your hand off a ladder just to open it) so I took that to mean it was the first of its kind. Of course the in handle tools had to be opened before going up the ladder but it was usable. When they brought their sliding lock mechanism out the tool was fully one handed if you loosened it up a bit.
Do you have any idea were they stood in actual the history of this tool? I haven't a clue how old they are, they were something I just used  till I got a MP600.

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 01:06:04 PM
I don't know precisely when Gerber entered the multitool business, but their sliding jaw design was patented in 1992. (Filed in 1991.)

Here is a scan of the first page of that patent. Note the references to Leatherman, and the assignee being Fiskars of Finland, which owns Gerber.
gerb.JPG
* gerb.JPG (Filesize: 61.99 KB)

Offline damota

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 02:26:58 PM
By that diagram it looks as though they did not intend to have cut-out in the handles so having the nail nicks on the inside becomes a little bit more understandable. I wonder why they put the cutouts in the handles, looks a lot stronger with the plain handle and the ruler would have a flat edge to it.
That hinge on the handle looks interesting I wonder if any of those reached the market?

Dave
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 02:39:41 PM by damota »

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 02:58:54 PM
I bought my first Gerber in the '80's I'm sure - the pinchy one.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 04:05:36 PM
Yah, that's weird.  I think I bought my first SOG - the weird sideways folding one - in the '80's too.  Does that sound right?

Offline damota

Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 05:50:18 PM
The SOG Paratool was out when I enquired about a one hand opening tool and was told about the Gerber. I can not remember dates but I seem to have had the Gerber forever.  ;)

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 03:10:16 AM
Here's Spencer Frazer's SOG ParaTool patent. It was filed in 1992, then issued in 1993.
SOG ParaTool.JPG
* SOG ParaTool.JPG (Filesize: 75.03 KB)

Offline damota

Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 05:34:32 PM
I have just had a look at the Gerber site in the "60 Fearless Years" page

http://www.gerbergear.com/history.php

They state "1991 — Gerber introduces the Multi-Plier. Two years later, it's among our best selling products."

In a write up on Spencer Frazer on the SOG site.

http://www.sogknives.com/about/spencer/index.php

SOG states "We were the second company to produce a folding multi-tool with the Paratool. We are the only company: to use compound leverage in our multi-tools (the only way to miniaturize power),"
There are no dates though. Given the yard stick that LM is the self proclaimed first multi-tool, SOG being the second then I guess the rest including Gerber. That sounds right because I phoned to enquire about the Paratool and was told about the 'new' Gerber.

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 01:11:01 AM
I honestly cannot remember when I first became aware of Gerber's MultiPlier. The first one I owned is similar to Damota's pinchy one. It was only years later that I stumbled upon the shiny polished "First Production Run" model.

By the way, they also produced that first model with a black oxide finish. (Note the wrong-side nail nicks, crude scissors, and extra bushing where the pliers pivot.)
Black.jpg
* Black.jpg (Filesize: 49.78 KB)

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 02:03:00 AM
This is my first Gerber.  I guess they had worked out the nail nicks by this one.  I wrecked this blade on an electric sharpener.
First Gerber.JPG
* First Gerber.JPG (Filesize: 20.82 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 02:26:00 AM
Gerber continuously evolved their Multiplier, making slight changes here and there. I sort of came up with five different distinct series between the First Production Run model posted earlier up until they totally redesigned everything with the 600 series Multi-Lock.

Tom,
I like to call the one you pictured a Series 2. It still has the extra plier pivot bushing, and all of the screws are still round button-heads.

But the finish went from highly polished to matte bead-blasted, and the scissors were replaced by the triangular awl blade.

~Bob
series II.jpg
* series II.jpg (Filesize: 47.49 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 03:07:24 AM
Dang , I missed getting that one . Is this another that I will have to get over your dead body Bob ?

Hah! Sorry, I've asked in my will to be buried with it.  :P

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 02:35:09 AM
I don't know precisely when Gerber entered the multitool business, but their sliding jaw design was patented in 1992. (Filed in 1991.)

Here is a scan of the first page of that patent. Note the references to Leatherman, and the assignee being Fiskars of Finland, which owns Gerber.

i found this and i remember that at 92 or 93 i was at fiskrs knifeshops,buyin stuff and i was already buyin the knife ben has now and the owner of shop,"peltonen himself" offered some cobined deal of knife and that first model gerber,and i was out of funds so i picked up the knife only,but man did i drool that multitool,cause i had only seen once or twice,add´s of pst,never seen one,and gerber seemed so modern compared to Lm.at year 96,i was in army and then i had pst,supertooll and first model gerber mt like it the pic of j-sews.they all served me well,although the gerbers rattle was bit annoyin when we ran in bushes with it gerber attched to my chest rig.they all served me well,but after army i gave it to my big nro(rip)and i think his widow now has it but i aint goin to harass her,and ask it back since it sure has more sentimental value to her than to me.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 10:11:33 AM
Sorry to hear that mate :(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 10:13:40 AM
hey thats life :salute:

the gerber was somethin much better made than some of the recent ones,although i haven handled all moderr ones but i think so anyway. :cheers:

Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 10:16:38 AM
Well the Diesel and the MP600 series are still quality tool's, the other one's I'm less keen on :-\

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 10:21:31 AM
diesel seems to be some their sore or surge;).
its rugged yes but it has some odd blade shapes,i dig strage shapes but are they functional?

mp600,i cant say a word cause i havent even held in hand,only seen one.

and how about that nice skeletool framed coffin nail,fishnet weight that obeys name Suspension. >:D >:D >:D :D :D :D :D :cheers: :cheers:

Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 10:25:03 AM
Well the Diesel's blade works very well, the warncliffe is the perfect blade type for an MT in my opinion :). Allthough they should offer a plain edge version ::)

Even the Suspensions not too bad if your only gonna use it for light tasks :)

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 10:31:48 AM
like for sewing and papercraft :D.well i happened to come across this one that freezed my veins,it was perhaps some monday-made factory reject that still mad eits way to shop.it blew up immediately when used.so thats why im bit afraid to any new gerbers i guess.it cost me 69 euros and held up like 7 euros generic taiwanese.

warncliffe?

as for that uruk-hai/reversed tanto?

that looks cool,its like mall ninja version of sheepsfoot,i like em a alot :drink: :drool:

Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 10:34:09 AM
Well the one on the Diesel is just a customised wharncliffe :)
wblade1.jpg
* wblade1.jpg (Filesize: 36.56 KB)

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 10:36:15 AM
excellent for engawing,slicing etc,IMO.

Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 10:39:58 AM
excellent for engawing,slicing etc,IMO.
Exactly, you've got an excellent knife for very precise cut's, much better than clip point's for example :)

By my way of thinking you don't need a strong tip on an MT as you're not going to use the blade for prying anything, as there are better tool's for the job onboard, such as the awl :)

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 10:47:59 AM
my favourite awl:

i use this for any prying,if i dont have any fixed knifes with me.
most expensive tool ive ever had.

it seems i gotta,some day get my self some modern time gerber then,and its the diesel,and if it doesnt work out fine,i remind you,it was u who made me get it,Micky :D

Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 10:49:46 AM
Sure after Grant I get the most blame here anyway :D

I love the Awl mate :drool:, I really miss the ER Shrapnel I had :cry:

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 10:52:01 AM
ER Shrapnel ?

tell me about it!

Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 10:56:44 AM
ER Shrapnel ?

tell me about it!
http://www.heinnie.com/rww2lx619112/Knives/Extrema-Ratio/Extrema-Ratio-Shrapnel-Testudo/p-92-137-947/

Most perfectly balanced knife I have ever known!, the only trouble is everytime you hold it, you'd get an attack of the red mist and you'd want to do nasty things with it :o

I'd love to get another one, and maybe keep it this time around ::)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD