Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Corkscrew Uses?

us Offline BadMechanic

Corkscrew Uses?
on: August 25, 2019, 07:19:05 AM
Ive been scratching my head for a few days, trying to not to bother you guys...but Im perplexed.

I see how popular the huntsman seems to be, which includes the corkscrew. I, however, am leaning towards the Fieldmaster. From what I can tell, they are the same besides the philips head on FM and corkscrew on HM. Is this accurate or did I miss something?

I did notice FM only has red (which is fine, I want red) and HM has a ton of different other colors/patterns.

So I guess my real question is what uses do you guys use for the corkscrew? Im not a wine drinker, so unless theres other uses, Id have to go with FM.

Thanks in advance  :hatsoff:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Re: Corkscrew Uses?
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 08:47:34 AM
Have seen on you tube people screw it into a 4-5' long stick, extend the saw and use it to trim branches. screw it into a plastic wall anchor to remove it from wall. screw into corn for holder. untie knots. drill out the end of stick to make whistle or something, think that Felix Immler has a few vids with that

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 09:44:42 AM
I use it a lot for untying knots. The awl works for that too but will shred the string at which point you might as well cut it.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 10:54:17 AM
Phillips driver, you could still try to use the can opener tip to make do.  But I lean towards the corkscrew because it is a tool that has no replacement, and it is a total party pooper when it is missing.  Besides all those uses mentioned, it also host the small screwdriver which comes in handy quite often for me.

Btw, if does become a dilemma for you one day, do check out a mod I made in the past--"Mountain Tinker" :D

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 12:38:51 PM
I've been back and forth on this myself.  I carried a Huntsman exclusively for decades and found the corkscrew really useful for knots, etc.  I prefer the Explorer setup, with the inline Philips head and the corkscrew.  I know you can't get quite as much torque from the inline Philips, but there's nothing out there to replace a corkscrew. 
Barry

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 01:33:57 PM
Untying knots, removing wall anchors, opening (pickle) jars, and carrying the mini screwdriver. Those are my main uses  :cheers:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 02:17:13 PM
I've been back and forth on this myself.  I carried a Huntsman exclusively for decades and found the corkscrew really useful for knots, etc.  I prefer the Explorer setup, with the inline Philips head and the corkscrew.  I know you can't get quite as much torque from the inline Philips, but there's nothing out there to replace a corkscrew. 
Just wanted to mention, you can get more torque from the inline Philips, not less.
Because the other Philips can't take much torque before it fails.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 02:27:57 PM
As a glasses wearer, I find the corkscrew useful for holding the mini-screwdriver which has helped prevent a few spec disasters in the past!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 02:38:44 PM
Phillips driver, you could still try to use the can opener tip to make do.  But I lean towards the corkscrew because it is a tool that has no replacement, and it is a total party pooper when it is missing.  Besides all those uses mentioned, it also host the small screwdriver which comes in handy quite often for me.

Btw, if does become a dilemma for you one day, do check out a mod I made in the past--"Mountain Tinker" :D
Great mod there! I like it! Having both is way better! Well done!  :cheers: :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 02:49:37 PM
The difference between the Fieldmaster has phillips and Huntsman has the corkscrew all other tools are the same.  The Huntsman does come in a lot of flavors ( scales ) as it a really popular model. 

I was hardcore believer that the backside phillips was better to have than the corkscrew.  I now believe the inline is the best and so the corkscrew is a nice complimentary tool for any SAK.  The can opener is underrated and not talked about as much as it should as good phillips driver but its terrific.

The uses noted about are some good ones.  I dont get a lot of use from it but I've used it to pull wall anchors which was super cool.  I've used it to untie knots.  I used it when a friend had wine but forgot the corkscrew.  I always house the mini driver there. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 03:21:34 PM
The difference between the Fieldmaster has phillips and Huntsman has the corkscrew all other tools are the same.  The Huntsman does come in a lot of flavors ( scales ) as it a really popular model. 

I was hardcore believer that the backside phillips was better to have than the corkscrew.  I now believe the inline is the best and so the corkscrew is a nice complimentary tool for any SAK.  The can opener is underrated and not talked about as much as it should as good phillips driver but its terrific.

The uses noted about are some good ones.  I dont get a lot of use from it but I've used it to pull wall anchors which was super cool.  I've used it to untie knots.  I used it when a friend had wine but forgot the corkscrew.  I always house the mini driver there. 

:iagree: on the tool sets.
I don’t get much use out of the corkscrew...the phillips gets used way more.

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 04:04:47 PM

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 04:50:07 PM
Well I gotta say...you guys are much more creative than I. I may get the huntsman instead!  :climber:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 05:09:02 PM
With the only difference being Corkscrew vs Phillips they're both great tool sets.
I've become a great Fan of the Fieldmaster and it's become my EDC, regardless of what else I have with me  :cheers:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 03:03:21 AM
I'm a big fan of the corkscrew over the back spring Philips.  My main uses for the corkscrew are untying knots (use like a small marlin spike), holding the mini-screwdriver, improving the draw on cigars that were rolled too tightly, and of course opening bottles of wine.  The flat screwdriver on the end of the can opener can handle almost everything the back spring Philips can, with the exception of deeply recessed screws.

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 03:13:47 AM
When I decided on the Fieldmaster at first it didn't "feel" like a true SAK due to the lack of corkscrew. After EDCing the Fieldmaster I really want to purchase a model with the inline and try it on for size. Plus I wear glasses soooo that handy little screw driver would be a BIG plus! Needless to say I am not unsatisfied with the Fieldmaster :tu:
Awlways know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 07:21:24 PM
I used my corkscrew recently to open up a can, I'd just cut my nails and couldn't get a purchase on the pull tab.  :D
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

gb Offline fullbreakfast

Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 08:00:22 PM
In my head, ever since I was a little kid drooling at displays of knives I couldn't afford, has been the idea that a real Swiss Army knife has a corkscrew. To me it was part of that classic look along with the red scales and the shield. And at some level I still feel like this...I've got lots of SAKs now that don't have a corkscrew, but every time I'm choosing what to carry it somehow doesn't feel 100% right when I pick one that doesn't have the CS. This is basically irrational as it's one of the tools I use least - the only rational aspect is that it carries the mini-screwdriver which I do use often. But I don't think I would feel any different even if it didn't do that  :-[

One a more practical note, carrying a SAK with a corkscrew provides an ideal excuse to take up drinking wine :D  Which I find to be a fun and enjoyable pastime. I must have drawn a hundred or more corks with different SAKs over time. The SAK CS is not as good as a dedicated corkscrew with a mechanical assist, of course, but it does the job with a little more effort on the part of the user. And it beats the hell out of no corkscrew.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 10:20:23 PM by fullbreakfast »

Offline r1nzler

Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 09:36:10 PM
Screw the cork screw into a stick and make a spear!

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #19 on: September 02, 2019, 10:25:53 PM
The bars of my horses' hay stack are hollow. In the lower vertical hollow bar fits the uppervertical bar and it is secured with a spring.
 Every now and then the hay plugs up in the lower hollow bar and then the upper bar can not sink into the lower bar. Than it's time to unplug the lower bar!
The cork screw is indispensable for these simple job!
Sorry for having no pictures.

Offline zenderfall

Reply #20 on: September 02, 2019, 10:59:30 PM
I used to be in the same boat, and thought the backside phillips was more practical than the corkscrew....

That is, until I started really using it.  It's really hard to turn that t-shaped handle than an inline, plus its much weaker in torque because of the way it connects to the body.  I also couldn't push down hard with it before it started to get wobbly-its a very poor feeling, really.  I gave that knife up and got an explorer, and found myself liking not only the phillips, but also the magnifying glass as well.  Backside phillips = worse than I thought, Magnifying glass = better than I thought.

As far as corkscrew, don't forget the corkscrew has one more use people fail to mention:  the included eyeglass/sunglasses screwdriver!  Also used for tightening watch link screws (if you happen to have that kind) and for dip switch setting....and and and.....
So yes, the corkscrew itself may not be a big plus, but include the eyeglass driver, and the lesser utility of a backside phillips and you have the reasons why huntsmen are more popular than fieldmasters.

us Offline Kraken

Reply #21 on: September 03, 2019, 10:31:36 PM
For the corkscrew, all of the uses mentioned above, including holding the micro screwdriver. I used to EDC a Super Tinker and then a Deluxe Tinker at work before switching back to an Explorer. The back side Philips was just to limited for my needs and I found that it would cam out of screws if too much torque was applied to it. I love the inline Philips of the Explorer as it reaches all the places the back side can and most of the ones it can't. For more uses of the corkscrew check out the youtube channel for NikGyver. Like Felix Immler, the guy really explores the uses of the different tools found on SAKs in a lot of creative ways.
Semper Fortis

us Offline FiL Wisneski

Reply #22 on: September 04, 2019, 03:39:03 PM
I don't drink beer or soda, so the only time I use the bottle opener is when a friend needs it.  But I do like wine, so I've used the corkscrew quite a bit for it's intended purpose, often while camping (or glamping, if I'm being honest), but also at backyard parties and once at my sister's housewarming party, when she hadn't yet unpacked everything.  I have been the hero of many parties with my corkscrew!

I tried a Deluxe Tinker for a while, but just couldn't get on board with the backside Phillips.  Many of my regular Phillips needs require an inline Phillips, and I missed the corkscrew.  So a CyberTool M for me these days.

- FiL

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 11:06:47 PM
I have been the hero of many parties with my corkscrew!

No doubt; being the only one with a corkscrew when a bottle of wine needs to be opened does tend to elevate one to instant hero status!   :cheers:

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #24 on: September 05, 2019, 05:00:51 AM
With all your guys replies, I was going to order a Fieldmaster. Then Huntsman.

couldnt decide...so I got a....SwissChamp  :facepalm:

I hate when that happens  :rofl:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: September 05, 2019, 05:55:32 AM

:rofl:

Personally, I'd recommend a Mountaineer over the Huntsman, far more versatile use with the metal saw/file than a wood saw.

us Offline Kraken

Reply #26 on: September 06, 2019, 04:35:58 PM

Great choice! I finally got a SwissChamp, after trying several different models, and now I wonder what took me so long. I think you're really going to enjoy exploring its capabilities. Have fun!
Semper Fortis

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 26, 2020, 04:37:09 AM
What about storing a ferro rod?

I don't know what the inner diameter of the corkscrew is, but one of these might fit in it if cut down in length...

* ferro rods.jpg (Filesize: 8.68 KB)

Offline JK

Reply #28 on: January 26, 2020, 12:46:51 PM
Try opening a bottle of wine with the backside Phillips...

Honestly, the number of times you go for a summer picnic to the park and everyone forgot a corkscrew...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%