Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Entrenching Tool

us Offline BadMechanic

Entrenching Tool
on: August 30, 2019, 04:10:23 AM
So, I think this is the LAST part of my shopping list, thanks to all you wonderful tool guys and gals.

Winter is coming in New York...And Im thinking I need somethibg of this sort in my truck. Now, I drive an F350, which btw Ive got it stuck and an F250 pulled me out. Traction control in snow is awful, luckily I figured out how to turn it off.

Anyway! I wanted to add this to my truck tools. It will compliment my recovery straps nicely. Ive noticed a few ones get more recognition, as I saw some very old posts on here. One being the Gerber Gorge, Glock Entrenching Tool and surplus models.

My main use for this would be get myself (or someone else) unstuck from the lake effect snow. I do also visit the outdoors multiple times a year and wouldnt mind having this along. Never needed it (or id have one by now). But, better to have it and not need it.

From the reviews, on pretty much all of them, have mixed reviews. Since you guys seem to have knowledge on tools than the average tool buyer, I come to you. One review would say the handle is extremely solid, beat it up good and didn't break. Then another will mention how flimsy it is.

So, I apologize for asking this question again. Thanks in advance for any help. It is appreciated.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Entrenching Tool
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 04:20:19 AM
Gerber E-Tool is my choice.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 04:41:06 AM
1960s West German for me. Tough, well made, and has a pick. Personally, the metal in the current Ames seems flimsy.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 05:00:50 PM
I bought the original AMES tool last year for the car for the case I would need to remove some snow or something when exiting the parking lot in front of my job. But we stopped having snow in these parts so I can't tell if it's any good...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 05:13:21 PM
I carry my old avalanche shovel in my vehicle which would work much better for you for snow than any entrenching tool.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=avalanche+shovel&gclid=CjwKCAjwtajrBRBVEiwA8w2Q8OWejgwVOwPsJi2NE1-vUv_8D0va5d4oESRybrh_TJf-RijgXDnG7BoC0agQAvD_BwE&hvadid=178128591722&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9019691&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16476055075788465253&hvtargid=kwd-276444389&hydadcr=15003_9758863&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_3q9xjd90ki_e

The avalanche shovel would beat an entrenching tool for snow removal, but I prefer an entrenching tool for packability and versatility.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 05:49:23 PM
The avalanche shovel would beat an entrenching tool for snow removal, but I prefer an entrenching tool for packability and versatility.

Yes but the OP specifically asked about something for his vehicle and for in the snow.

hr Offline styx

Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 08:12:31 PM
depending if size is a limiting factor for storage in the truck and if you want to hassle with a wooden handle, the Cold Steel Spetznaz shovel might also be a viable option
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 04:58:49 AM
I ended up ordering a USGI etool. And Im very pleased with the quality. Havent used/tested it yet, but for a mere $25, Im satisfied. Feels nice and sturdy, packs up nicely. with my current tools and recovery straps, space is getting very limited under my lockable rear seat.

:like:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 01:55:23 PM
I ended up ordering a USGI etool. And Im very pleased with the quality. Havent used/tested it yet, but for a mere $25, Im satisfied. Feels nice and sturdy, packs up nicely. with my current tools and recovery straps, space is getting very limited under my lockable rear seat.

:like:
They are great! I’ve used mine!  :like: :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 08:28:58 PM
that is a great price for one
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 10:40:42 AM
Personally I like the Cold Steel Spetznaz shovel as I am always leery of moving parts in a heavy duty tool.  That having been said, I pounded the Gerber Gorge through several inches of hard packed ice without even the slightest feeling of potential failure.

https://www.multitool.org/blog/gerber-gorge-folding-shovel

It stood up to me digging a large enough hole for my Jeep, so I wouldn't be concerned about it for just about anything else.  It is one tough shovel.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 05:17:50 AM
Personally I like the Cold Steel Spetznaz shovel as I am always leery of moving parts in a heavy duty tool.  That having been said, I pounded the Gerber Gorge through several inches of hard packed ice without even the slightest feeling of potential failure.

https://www.multitool.org/blog/gerber-gorge-folding-shovel

It stood up to me digging a large enough hole for my Jeep, so I wouldn't be concerned about it for just about anything else.  It is one tough shovel.

Def

Yeah, moving parts can sometimes be a problem. I want to get a Russian Titanium Shovel.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%