Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Correct Screws for 84 mm 2-Layer Build?

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Correct Screws for 84 mm 2-Layer Build?
on: September 19, 2019, 08:10:46 PM
Hi guys,

I'm going to be building a Voyageur for myself, and rather than peen pins on the outside of the scales (like I usually do) I'm thinking I'd rather use flush bolts/screws.   Can anyone tell me exactly which screw would work?  I've been to a number of knife building supply sites, but I don't even have the vocabulary to understand what I'm looking at.    I'm hoping someone has done this before and can tell me exactly the hardware I need to purchase.

Thanks!

Myron

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Correct Screws for 84 mm 2-Layer Build?
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 10:38:12 AM
Hi Myron. I’ve only found 2.0mm and 2.5mm hex-head bolts. And only plated steel. I played around a little with these and was not happy. 2.5m OK for 91mm pivots, but 2.0mm too small for inner pins, and tension was sloppy. Also, I found that even just nipping the nuts beyond finger tight would bind the tools, and even if I used threadlock, I’d still have to glue the scales on. So all-in-all I abandoned this and went back to brass and peening...

With 84mm, all the pins are 2.2mm, so I think you might have challenges finding suitable bolts. And resizing is a true PIA just for one tool.

Others have good success with bolts, but they seem to stick to 2.5 or even 3mm Alox for this.  :dunno:

(Edit: also bolt thread is not as smooth as the brass rod as a pivot.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 10:45:13 AM by Max Stone »
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Re: Correct Screws for 84 mm 2-Layer Build?
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 02:55:56 PM
Hi Max,

Thanks very much for this well reasoned explanation.  I think I will take your advice.  Seems I always come to this conclusion when I go through this process, but it irritates me that there isn't an easier solution.   

Thanks again!

Myron

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88