Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

One of these things is not like the other

Kraken · 61 · 1804

us Offline Kraken

on: September 24, 2019, 05:01:44 PM
   Does anyone else feel like the minority when they break out their SAK to use it? What I mean is that among my co-workers, I’m known as ‘The Tool Guy’ because I always carry my Explorer and my MiniChamp. I’m a computer technician and found that this tool set between the two models covers most of my on-site needs without having to run back to the shop for a dedicated tool. No one else in my shop carries anything with them. And among my group of friends, I’m the only one that carries a pocket knife, let alone a SAK. They all know to come to me for a cap lifter or scissors or blade or corkscrew if one is not close at hand. My six-year old knows to go for the Cybertool 41 that I keep in the kitchen drawer when we need a screwdriver for the battery compartment on some of his toys, as the bits on this model fit the tiny screws perfectly.

Maybe it was just how I was raised or my own experiences growing up, but I always felt more comfortable if I felt prepared to take care of issues on my own, rather than wait for someone to come to the rescue. In my last job, I was lucky enough to work with a group of like-minded individuals who all carried a multi-tool and a dedicated folder. And most of them did so off work as well. Maybe that is the exception and not the rule nowadays.

How about you guys? Are you the outlier in your group or do you have others that share your mindset. Other than the fine members of this forum, of course.
Semper Fortis

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Re: One of these things is not like the other
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 05:08:05 PM
I’m definitely an outlier. Everyone knows I edc something. Constantly get asked “can I see your knife quick?” Even when they need a screwdriver.
I’ve asked friends and family why they don’t have some form of multi tool and the response is either “I don’t know” or “I would just loose something like that”.
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it I always say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awlways know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 05:10:13 PM
No, when I was working we all carried knives and Multi Tools. And others tools  :whistle:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 05:10:48 PM
I'm the same way, and it feels good to be prepared!
Barry

us Offline Kraken

Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 05:31:07 PM

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it I always say

BClogic I completely agree. Maybe it was all the episodes of MacGyver when I was a kid or the Boy Scout manual that I poured over for countless hours that formed that mindset.
Semper Fortis

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 05:33:54 PM
BClogic I completely agree. Maybe it was all the episodes of MacGyver when I was a kid or the Boy Scout manual that I poured over for countless hours that formed that mindset.

I just started watching the original MacGyver series. I was just a pup when that show came out!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 06:21:31 PM
Outlier and minority here too. 

When I was working, I never saw anybody else carry a SAK. Occasionally, got the requests to use mine or for me to perform the task.

Amongst my friends, and those who carry something...nobody else carries a SAK even if they own one.  The closest is one who keeps it in the trunk of his car.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 07:13:15 PM
   Does anyone else feel like the minority when they break out their SAK to use it?

Maybe it was just how I was raised or my own experiences growing up, but I always felt more comfortable if I felt prepared to take care of issues on my own, rather than wait for someone to come to the rescue.

How about you guys? Are you the outlier in your group or do you have others that share your mindset. Other than the fine members of this forum, of course.

I have always had the same mind set as you in that I would rather be prepared to take care of issues on my own. No one else around me seems to think that way.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 07:13:55 PM
Yet another in the minority. Carrying something is so unusual among my co-workers I generally shut up about the fact I always EDC a SAK or something.

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 07:54:40 PM
I know lots of people who carry tools daily, but never a pocket knife.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 08:00:28 PM
We all carried knives in my last jobs.   Ok, transparency, I was a chef  :rofl:
Prior to that I was a college student and working in a machine shop.  Those guy carried Bucks or had their tool boxes close.  I was much younger than they were so I didn't hang with them nor know it they carried tools outside of work.  In the last 20 years however, its a mixed bag.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 08:04:19 PM
I was always amazed at another tool that other people were asking me for...a pen. I always thought everybody heard of a Bic pen, nice cheap and dependable. But, can I borrow your pen?   :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 08:09:16 PM
I don't loan these days.  I also don't carry "loaners" either.  I loaned a sharpie to a guy ( random vender ) at the flea market.  He wrote with it and I thought he was done.  I waited for him to hand it back but he began a conversation with someone.  I paused, then said, may I have my sharpie back.  He looked at me strangely and said he wasn't quite done.   :twak:.  I reached for my sharpie and said yeah actually you are.  I took my sharpie from his hand, said you're welcome and walked away.   

My partner and I both laughed at the nerve of this dude.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 08:11:35 PM
I don't loan these days.  I also don't carry "loaners" either.  I loaned a sharpie to a guy ( random vender ) at the flea market.  He wrote with it and I thought he was done.  I waited for him to hand it back but he began a conversation with someone.  I paused, then said, may I have my sharpie back.  He looked at me strangely and said he wasn't quite done.   :twak:.  I reached for my sharpie and said yeah actually you are.  I took my sharpie from his hand, said you're welcome and walked away.   

Yeah, if the pen has a cap, even fountain pens, I held the cap so I got my pen back!

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 08:25:23 PM
Yeah, if the pen has a cap, even fountain pens, I held the cap so I got my pen back!

Now that is a good idea!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 24, 2019, 08:35:45 PM

Nuts!

One more reason to carry a knife...
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Offline zenderfall

Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 08:42:21 PM
Certainly not in the minority, I too work in the computer repair field, and most everyone carries Leathermen, or Gerber or some nice folding knife with exotic material handles.  Have even seen the Leatherman Tread on a few guys here, seems like that's the new show-off man-jewelry.  I know one guy even had a knife with a Hawksbill blade, I have no idea what that could be useful for other than gutting enemy combatants or duals-to-the-death, but ok.  I carry the Cybertool M daily, and have gotten a lot of responses to the effect of it being the most useful SAK they've ever seen, didn't know they existed with bits. 

I carry an Explorer for weekends, when the single inline phillips is all I really need besides all the other tools-its lighter and much cheaper. 

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 09:00:00 PM
Certainly not in the minority, I too work in the computer repair field, and most everyone carries Leathermen, or Gerber or some nice folding knife with exotic material handles.  Have even seen the Leatherman Tread on a few guys here, seems like that's the new show-off man-jewelry.  I know one guy even had a knife with a Hawksbill blade, I have no idea what that could be useful for other than gutting enemy combatants or duals-to-the-death, but ok.  I carry the Cybertool M daily, and have gotten a lot of responses to the effect of it being the most useful SAK they've ever seen, didn't know they existed with bits. 

I carry an Explorer for weekends, when the single inline phillips is all I really need besides all the other tools-its lighter and much cheaper.

Have you seen the prices of the Leatherman Tread!?! I darn near dropped my bowels when I heard! The juice isn't worth the squeeze to me. (not bashing on the LM Juice :tu:)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 09:09:03 PM
You've got to see the knock offs profiled here on MTo.  They are interesting to say the least. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #19 on: September 24, 2019, 09:33:57 PM
I have always carried a knife since 8 yrs old.  Farm work requires sharp blade to cut twine, open seed bag, fertilizer, oil can or what ever.  Then how else would you field dress the rabbit you shot or phrase that for dinner.  Everyone had their favorite one pocket knife. 

Worked 35 yrs in IT industry, carried a tool grip, but a SAK classic / Vagabond always complimented my pocket carry.

Moved into a specialized construction field, wore a ST300 daily, and a 3” blade folder, pause the Vagabond.  Fellow workers no.  100 yards away from my truck and dedicated tools, I always could open a panel, strip a wire, tighten a connector, clean a relay contact, or inspect a problem further than others awl before returning to the truck. 

Gave my 10 yr old grandson a Wingman on Sunday while he was visiting, knew his dad had been training him to use knives, and suspect he still had the Big SMILE today.   A new fellow tooler in training. 

« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:43:53 PM by LoopCutter »
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 25, 2019, 01:55:12 AM
That’s awesome LC! Very important to teach the safe manipulation of a knife at a young age! I think I had to teach myself, I have a couple scars

Offline mikekoz

Reply #21 on: September 25, 2019, 10:37:41 AM
   I am also a computer technician, although, it is pretty much by title only these days. We really do not do any hardware repairs anymore. However, we still have to install ram chips in laptops or some minor things like that, and I always have a Gerber Fit with me and another multitool with me. I also have a small SAK or SAK clone in my pocket for opening boxes, etc. I also have a precision driver with me at work. My co-worker carries a small knife, a Walmart Ozark Trail SAK clone with him, only because I gave it to him!  :climber:  I have been doing this for 20 years and have never felt like the odd man out though! On a related note, several years ago my wife and I were on vacation in the mountains and we went on a night hike with about 8 other people. Other than the guide, I was the only one that brought a flashlight! I am also a flashaholic, but to me it was a no brainer. Dark...flashlight!! DUH!!  :rofl:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: September 25, 2019, 10:47:44 AM
Well prepared, yes; outlier, no! :D

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 25, 2019, 03:35:54 PM
   Does anyone else feel like the minority when they break out their SAK to use it? What I mean is that among my co-workers, I’m known as ‘The Tool Guy’ because I always carry my Explorer and my MiniChamp. I’m a computer technician and found that this tool set between the two models covers most of my on-site needs without having to run back to the shop for a dedicated tool. No one else in my shop carries anything with them. And among my group of friends, I’m the only one that carries a pocket knife, let alone a SAK. They all know to come to me for a cap lifter or scissors or blade or corkscrew if one is not close at hand. My six-year old knows to go for the Cybertool 41 that I keep in the kitchen drawer when we need a screwdriver for the battery compartment on some of his toys, as the bits on this model fit the tiny screws perfectly.

Maybe it was just how I was raised or my own experiences growing up, but I always felt more comfortable if I felt prepared to take care of issues on my own, rather than wait for someone to come to the rescue. In my last job, I was lucky enough to work with a group of like-minded individuals who all carried a multi-tool and a dedicated folder. And most of them did so off work as well. Maybe that is the exception and not the rule nowadays.

First off, this is a great topic Kraken , thanks...  :like:

About your question and some of the things you've said...  Yes, i pretty much feel like an outlier most of the time, in this regard. None of my coworkers carry or use SAK's or any other tools as far as i know. Granted, it's an office environment, but still...  ::)

Unfortunately, fewer and fewer people have the "take care of issues on my own" mindset...  :facepalm:  most people prefer someone else to solve the problems for them, or pay some one to do it for them, instead of putting their brain cells at work and figuring out how to do things or fix things...  :facepalm:

When ever i need something done, in what ever area, 95% of the times i'll do it myself. If i don't know how to do it, i'll research it, learn lt, and do it myself...  :think:

I'm not only a guy that always liked to do that, out of necessity, but also enjoying in being able and capable of doing that. Maybe my upbringing had a lot of influence on that. My grandpa being to me (as far as i'm concern) the original real life "Macgyver" (way before a "Macgyver ever existed) and SAK lover/user inspiration. He built stuff, invented stuff, fixed stuff, you name it...  And yes, lots of paper clips and rubber bands went into that stuff also...  :D

My dad, being a master machinist and metallurgical worker, in a major shipyard building and repairing parts for massive oil tankers and similar ships.

Been around tools all my life. I distinctly remember at 4 or 5 years old taking tape cassetes apart (when they where still attached with screws), and carefully  fixing the tape and rewinding them when the tape got caught or eaten by the tape recorders. And lot's of other stuff too.

So when the Macgyver series came along in the 80's (i was probably 13 or so) it only refined my abilities and passion for that stuff.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 05:52:37 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: September 25, 2019, 07:04:32 PM
I have always carried a knife since 8 yrs old. 
Gave my 10 yr old grandson a Wingman on Sunday while he was visiting, knew his dad had been training him to use knives, and suspect he still had the Big SMILE today.   A new fellow tooler in training. 

I too have always carried a knife since I was 8 years old.

Glad to hear you gave the Wingman to your grandson. That will  be something he will always treasure and it will help him realize the value of having a knife or multi-tool to handle situations that arise. :tu: :tu:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #25 on: September 25, 2019, 07:56:06 PM
I agree with your observation, but it just seems so strange to me.

Growing up it seemed strange if someone didn’t have a pocket knife in their pocket or on their belt.  I was given my first knife at 8yo and have carried one every since.  Then, in the Navy on ships, it seemed Sailors almost always had some sort of knife or tool in their pocket even if their rating didn’t really require it.

I’ve noticed for about a decade that edc’ing put me in a minority, but didn’t really realize that it also included knives or SAKs until recently.  Sure I understood not everyone had flashlights, aspirin, safety pins, first aid items, etc but I didn’t realize it was also pocket knives until recently.

I first noticed the shift at a wedding, when my Aunt was struggling to open a packet of dressing and I asked if she wanted scissors.  She was like “you have a pair?” and was shocked when I pulled out a SAK from the waistband of my pocketless skirt.  Even then I thought, no one else had something because they were nicely dressed.  Recently when I went to visit family and realized just how bad it was.   My nephew asked me why I had a knife in my pocket.  It was just a small SAK that I was pulling out to cut open his cracker package.  Why would he be asking such a question?  It is obvious to me.  A pocket knife is a very useful tool that you never know when you’ll need, like right then. 

Even some people who grew up always having pocket knives on them have cast them aside.  I don’t understand the why, but find it sad.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: September 25, 2019, 08:08:16 PM

Even some people who grew up always having pocket knives on them have cast them aside.  I don’t understand the why, but find it sad.

:iagree:

A pocket knife is the handiest tool you can carry. I have used one every day since I was 8 years old.

I too, find it sad. Most people look upon them as a weapon and fail to see them as the useful tool that they are.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #27 on: September 25, 2019, 09:51:18 PM
:iagree:

A pocket knife is the handiest tool you can carry. I have used one every day since I was 8 years old.

I too, find it sad. Most people look upon them as a weapon and fail to see them as the useful tool that they are.

Some of that problem is with the design and marketing of modern knives. Some of them look like weapons. Black handles, assisted opening, etc are a bit more intimidating looking than a SAK or a classic style pocket knife. To me, it all boils down to the correct tool for the job. At work, I do not bring a large 3-4 inch blade because it is not needed. If I am out hiking in the woods or working outside, that is a whole different story!

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 25, 2019, 09:52:05 PM

Growing up it seemed strange if someone didn’t have a pocket knife in their pocket or on their belt.  I was given my first knife at 8yo and have carried one every since.  Then, in the Navy on ships, it seemed Sailors almost always had some sort of knife or tool in their pocket even if their rating didn’t really require it.

I’ve noticed for about a decade that edc’ing put me in a minority, but didn’t really realize that it also included knives or SAKs until recently.  Sure I understood not everyone had flashlights, aspirin, safety pins, first aid items, etc but I didn’t realize it was also pocket knives until recently.

I first noticed the shift at a wedding, when my Aunt was struggling to open a packet of dressing and I asked if she wanted scissors.  She was like “you have a pair?” and was shocked when I pulled out a SAK from the waistband of my pocketless skirt.  Even then I thought, no one else had something because they were nicely dressed.  Recently when I went to visit family and realized just how bad it was.   My nephew asked me why I had a knife in my pocket.  It was just a small SAK that I was pulling out to cut open his cracker package.  Why would he be asking such a question?  It is obvious to me.  A pocket knife is a very useful tool that you never know when you’ll need, like right then. 

Well pointed Sos!

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

us Offline Kraken

Reply #29 on: September 25, 2019, 09:52:57 PM
Great responses everybody! It's interesting to read everyone's take on the subject along with their experiences and insights.

I agree that it's sad to see that a lot of people these days don't even carry the simplest of tools, a pocket knife, on their person. I often want to gift a SAK to some of the people I know who I think might benefit from it, but then I wonder if they'd ever use it  and worry that it would just sit in a drawer somewhere, neglected and unused. I gave a reconditioned Climber to my coworker years ago and he never mentioned anything about it. When I asked him how he liked it weeks later, he said it was good and that was it, no other details.  :dunno:
On the other hand, I think that giving them one of their own might spark an interest in them to use it and to use it for more than just opening the mail. It might open their eyes to the possibilities of carrying such a useful tool set with them wherever they go.
Semper Fortis

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD