Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK STACK 30 days challenge 2020 for Swisschamp, Cybertool & Toolchest

comis · 1431 · 27852

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Day 30

The SC helped cut an apple, open a beer, and open the package on my late night snack

(And yes the SC also cut the cheese package completely open so Fisher could lick the package).

This challenge was the first time I have ever carried a SAK over 5 layers.  It was not as different as I originally expected it to be, although I definitely prefer carrying and using 4-layer or less SAKs. 

us Offline Sos24

Day 30

A warmer day so putting some food out for the birds.  :salute:  a great way to finish, and somewhat relieved that the XAVT can be returned to the shelf...it really is too big to carry or use effectively.  :facepalm:

comis - thank you for running such an engaging challenge.  :hatsoff: it’s been great fun to see all the different SAKs and uses, with some great pics along the way! But if I was to pick my favorite, it’s still the SC.  :cheers:

The XAVT really is a beast.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
This challenge was fun to do. I saw a lot of very nice pictures and special uses of the SAKs used in this challenge. Well done everybody I'm looking forward for the next challenge, https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83570.msg2116500.html#msg2116500  :hatsoff:
See you again on Unleashed:cheers: :D

Day 30

A warmer day so putting some food out for the birds.  :salute:  a great way to finish, and somewhat relieved that the XAVT can be returned to the shelf...it really is too big to carry or use effectively.  :facepalm:

comis - thank you for running such an engaging challenge.  :hatsoff: it’s been great fun to see all the different SAKs and uses, with some great pics along the way! But if I was to pick my favorite, it’s still the SC.  :cheers:
SC is my first love in SAKs, so I too would think it is my favorite amongst the big boys. :tu:

Comis thanks for hosting the challenge and your great mini recap of some contributions throughput the challenge.  This challenge has had a lot of diversity in uses and pictures to really make it go quick.

Sure does feel quick, almost too quick!  And I will see you soon again on Soldier Challenge! :cheers: :tu:

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Comis - ratting is a sad necessity, they invade my garden from the woods beyond my wall using the railway as a sort of highway - thankfully it only happens now and again so long as I keep on top of it. Last autumn was the exception - the extra rain seemed to drive many out as the river rose and I culled a couple of dozen over a three week period - thankfully the neighbours are happy for me to do the necessary as we all love our birds and squirrels  (even if greys are technically pests, but there are no reds round here, the nearest ones being in the Isle of Wight).  Once we’re out of lock-down I’d like to upgrade my Weihrauch HW90 for a PCP before autumn, assuming the finances allow, of course!

Day 30

SC does duty on a crown cork to release a bit of end of challenge refreshment! Thanks to Comis for arranging this challenge and the fridge magnets! :cheers: :cheers: Looks like I’ll be seeing most of you in the Soldier 30 starting tomorrow!! :whistle:

it Offline SirVicaLot

(Image removed from quote.)

Headband carry, it's actually pretty manageable and not at all uncomfortable when done indoor. :D

:rofl: :like:

us Offline Mcfal12

Well done by all. Great uses and pictures to boot!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Comis - ratting is a sad necessity, they invade my garden from the woods beyond my wall using the railway as a sort of highway - thankfully it only happens now and again so long as I keep on top of it. Last autumn was the exception - the extra rain seemed to drive many out as the river rose and I culled a couple of dozen over a three week period - thankfully the neighbours are happy for me to do the necessary as we all love our birds and squirrels  (even if greys are technically pests, but there are no reds round here, the nearest ones being in the Isle of Wight).  Once we’re out of lock-down I’d like to upgrade my Weihrauch HW90 for a PCP before autumn, assuming the finances allow, of course!

Day 30

SC does duty on a crown cork to release a bit of end of challenge refreshment! Thanks to Comis for arranging this challenge and the fridge magnets! :cheers: :cheers: Looks like I’ll be seeing most of you in the Soldier 30 starting tomorrow!! :whistle:
I looked up PCP and some youtube videos, those are state of the art kinda deal!  Good luck! :tu:
And yes, I will see you again tomorrow at Soldier Challenge! :salute:

:rofl: :like:
;)

Well done by all. Great uses and pictures to boot!
:cheers:

us Offline CraftsmanSAK

• Bought a Trekker for work and the collection began
DAY 30

This Craftsman flat head and Phillips screwdriver feel the same when reaching for one or the other in tight, confined and dark spaces and I tend to always grab the wrong one at first.  This morning I decided to remedy the situation and to round out the challenge my file was put to good use!  (Now watch...  I'll lose one of these by the end of the day).  It's been a fun challenge, and when I get home today, I'm gonna use the bottle opener and hand off EDC responsibilities to my Soldiers.  Thanks, Comis and everyone for all the great posts to look at.  Made this crazy month a bit more tolerable.  Hopefully better days are ahead for all of us. 
SAKSTACKDay30.jpg
* SAKSTACKDay30.jpg (Filesize: 53.48 KB)
They say the pen is mightier than the sword.   However... there is a dead guy here with a Bic in his hand and a Samurai walking away.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
DAY 30

This Craftsman flat head and Phillips screwdriver feel the same when reaching for one or the other in tight, confined and dark spaces and I tend to always grab the wrong one at first.  This morning I decided to remedy the situation and to round out the challenge my file was put to good use!  (Now watch...  I'll lose one of these by the end of the day).  It's been a fun challenge, and when I get home today, I'm gonna use the bottle opener and hand off EDC responsibilities to my Soldiers.  Thanks, Comis and everyone for all the great posts to look at.  Made this crazy month a bit more tolerable.  Hopefully better days are ahead for all of us. 

Great use, always love the file!  I will see you soon tomorrow at Soldier challenge!

Btw, please stay tuned to the giveaway and don't forget to pm me your address for the magnet!

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Day 30

No use today...
IMG_20200430_211548-01.jpeg
* IMG_20200430_211548-01.jpeg (Filesize: 107.9 KB)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 11:11:31 PM by ulzhan »

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Day 30 of 30

Used SwissChamps blades today again at work, also tightened few screws with phillips.

Its been fun again taking part of this challenge, only thing i wish SC could have is inline awl, using backside awl isnt allways best option to make hole.

Only Tools Matters

za Offline Max Stone

I have to agree.  :iagree:

I’ve put an inline awl as a replacement for the small blade and it works real well. But then I miss the small blade.  :facepalm:

One idea I had was to add another blade layer with a serrated large blade and the small blade. And maybe ditch the pointy fishy tool.  :dunno:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Sos24

Sure does feel quick, almost too quick!  And I will see you soon again on Soldier Challenge! :cheers: :tu:

I will be following in the soldier challenge, but decided not to participate.  I’m missing carrying my Yeomen (including modded variants).  The Mountain Yeoman has seen very little pocket time and I can’t wait any longer.

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
@Rizio have the same beer at home.

@Comis Thx for hosting this cool challenge!

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Day 30

Hard to believe the challenge is already over. Time just flies when you are in confinement it seems. CT34 saw quite some action today, but again nothing out of the ordinary - I just cut a few boxes open.

The challenge turned out to be a round trip back to where it started: the CT34. I enjoyed my initial time with the crazy, over the top XLT immensely, but the fact remains it's a SAK for very special occasions. The CT Lite is sweet, but the CT34 just feels more EDC to me.

Interestingly, this effect increased since I swapped the scales. For the first time, the CT34 now feels like all my other SAKs to me, and that's a good thing. Before, the transparent CT scales always seemed to shout out that this SAK contains an expensive bit holder, making me feel guilty for not using it very often in real life. Now, the CT34 has all of a sudden become quiet, almost subdued. I feel more relaxed having it in my pocket, for it's now nothing more than a Deluxe Tinker with pliers. And I like this very much. Does that make any sense? 

In any event, I am grateful to this challenge and its organizer Comis for finding this out!  :hatsoff:
20200430_150625_copy_1512x2016.jpg
* 20200430_150625_copy_1512x2016.jpg (Filesize: 110.61 KB)

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
deleted

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Day 29

Bottle opener for its intended purpose  :cheers:

(Image removed from quote.)

Never leave home without it :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Day 30

Bottle opener on pry bar duty. Lawn furniture needed a new coat of stain  :cheers:

Thank you comis for hosting this great challenge. Also thank you for taking the time to reply to each and everyone of us  :hatsoff:
It was fun using the SC. Normally it sits next to my computer, ready to spring into action, but does not get a lot of pocket time.

I am still looking forward to carry my usual gear again. I miss the Pioneer and Spirit combo. Since I found it after the FM challenge, it has been my most carried combination, and will continue to be for the time being.

Thanks to everyone who participated, we saw some great uses and some nice collections!  :cheers: Don’t forget to request your badges  :pok:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Day 30

For nostalgic reasons I opened a parcel with the small blade.  It's my favorite and most used tool on the Champ.  Normally none of the SAKs that I carry - Compact, PioneerX, Soldier - don't have a small blade.  I've had a few traditional folders, and the small blade on those always felt right to me. Even before, and well after those days, I have found the small blade on the 91mm models to be the right tool for a lot of jobs. 

:SAKnight:

Over the last month, I have been keeping track of how many times I use the Phillips or the Corkscrew - to try to answer the age-old question.  Which is more useful.
This was a bit of an unusual month, to say the least.  I didn't go outdoors, or do the things I normally would.  That said, I expected to use the corkscrew more - and indeed I did.  I use the corkscrew for non-cork related things in general.  this month I opened two jars, and a bottle of wine.  Opening jars was a recent discovery for me, courtesy of MTo, and it's worked great.  I'll have wine with the appropriate sort of meal on occasion, usually with friends in unexpected places, and so it does come in handy for that too.  If I'm honest though, the corkscrew frustrates me since it doesn't have a lever arm like "modern" or dedicated ones do. I've considered getting a LM Juice or a Gerber Armbar Cork for that reason, but the trade off doesn't seem worth it.  For now I'll just grunt and sweat, and stabilize the bottle between my knees, pulling with all my might.  The scene usually turns my friends off to the idea of sharing the wine, and there's plenty more for me

Corkscrew ///
Phillips \

:climber:

And now for my final thoughts. 

This was my first 30-day Challenge, and it's been a lot of fun.  I'm glad we decided to continue the challenge and that everyone participated.  it's a bit of a bummer that we weren't able to put the SwissChamp through its paces. You know as well as I do that this is all you need for any camping, hiking, or fishing trip.  It's all you need for a cookout, for a vacation, or on the job (assuming your job supplies you with the basics to get the job done).  It really shines on everything besides tinkering around the house, where a Tinker would do just fine (see what I did there?)

Ive had this Champion for about 25 years now, and it has many stories to tell.  It was a kind gift from someone that I haven't seen in many years.  I had it in the Scouts, and truth be told, I remember using it just once - and that once saved my skin.  It has been my quiet backup on most camping and hiking trips, it accompanied me in school, prepared lunch on the job. 

Because of that history, I chose to do the challenge with this SAK instead of my SwissChamp, the only difference being the pliers.  The pliers are obviously small, and one wouldn't think they're all that useful.  But then again, this is a SAK, isn't it?  Any one tool may not be particularly useful at a given time, but the more tools you have, the more use you'll get out of the SAK itself.  Giving it some thought during the challenge - I could easily see the pliers coming in handy at work from time to time. 

What I didn't like all that much about the SAK is the size.  I did take it to work, and didn't end up taking it out of my pocket at the time when I would/could have used the scissors - it just feels like a little too much tool for some of those minor jobs that I do.  I could be imagining it, but I also feel like it takes a second or two longer to find the tool I'm looking for.  It was also exceedingly clunky in my pocket.  I think if I could find a horizontal carry belt pouch, I might think differently. 

So where would I use the SAK Stack?  And which one would I use?
I will still take the Champion with me on camping trips, but to be honest, I'll probably leave it home for the next few, and take the Trekker instead, just for fun.  When I'm camping the Champ is mainly for the saw, the Trekker is great in that regard. 
The SwissChamp - that would be for something a bit unique - a longer trip that has potential for adventure, or for work when duties are a little askew as they are now. 

All in all - I'd like to do it again as a challenge, and next time would be with the SwissChamp (as long as life isn't topsy turvy... or maybe more so, if it is).  I'd like to make a challenge out of using it in the outdoors, or any of those fun activities that life usually brings.  I'd bring it on most camping trips, and all adventures.  But for now, I won't carry it every day... maybe I'll change my mind in the future.

For now - On to the next one!  :salute:

IMG_3115.jpg
* IMG_3115.jpg (Filesize: 138.48 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Day 30
My hat off to all who participated in this greatest of SAK challenges. :hatsoff:  My thanks to Comis for organizing this for us.
I decided to end this challenge by using the bottle opener on a tasty adult beverage. :cheers:
SAK stack 2020 30.JPG
* SAK stack 2020 30.JPG (Filesize: 97.63 KB)

us Offline cody6268

DAY 30.  SC blade opened ink cartridge. 

The CT34, Champion, and SC were never really carried or used by me. I've viewed them as too wide, too heavy, and too bulky.  That was never really the case during this challenge, except in sweats.  The SC is very capable for it's size and weight. Never do I need to fret because I don't have a particular tool. Champion loses a bit of the SC weight and bulk by dropping pliers. The CT34 is great for tinkering with just about anything, not just PCs. 

As a result of my findings during the challenge, I am buying a Deluxe Tinker off eBay tommorow, and hopefully, can find an affordable CT41. 

kimg0434.jpg
* kimg0434.jpg (Filesize: 394.8 KB)

it Offline SirVicaLot

@Elevenblade:

I am not sure if someone else took count, but here is my final score Phillips vs. Corkscrew.

Corkscrew: //
Phillips: ////

Nothing I did not expect though  :D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Folks, please pm me your address for the free magnet, and I will do the lucky draw for the giveaway within today!

:cheers: Thank you for joining us!

@Simon_Templar It's all about the journey, often time I felt the destination is just a stop along the way. :D

Thank you comis for hosting this great challenge. Also thank you for taking the time to reply to each and everyone of us  :hatsoff:
It was fun using the SC. Normally it sits next to my computer, ready to spring into action, but does not get a lot of pocket time.

I am still looking forward to carry my usual gear again. I miss the Pioneer and Spirit combo. Since I found it after the FM challenge, it has been my most carried combination, and will continue to be for the time being.

Thanks to everyone who participated, we saw some great uses and some nice collections!  :cheers: Don’t forget to request your badges  :pok:

Thank you for participating! :cheers:
That's a solid combo, Spirit has always been my favorite pliers based tool, all the outside tools make it felt like a natural extension of SAKs.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Badges awarded to: Ivo, SVL, RIG, EBe and AlK.   :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
@ElevenBlade  Thank you for the write up!  SC was a generous gift to me since young, and it too has been everywhere with me for most of my life.  Though my days for camping is far and few in between, I would love to bring it along next time to experience the joy of using it once again. :like:

For myself, here is the usage during the challenge:
corkscrew: /
phillips: / / /

Day 30
My hat off to all who participated in this greatest of SAK challenges. :hatsoff:  My thanks to Comis for organizing this for us.
I decided to end this challenge by using the bottle opener on a tasty adult beverage. :cheers:

No better way to end a challenge, cheers! :drink:

DAY 30.  SC blade opened ink cartridge. 

The CT34, Champion, and SC were never really carried or used by me. I've viewed them as too wide, too heavy, and too bulky.  That was never really the case during this challenge, except in sweats.  The SC is very capable for it's size and weight. Never do I need to fret because I don't have a particular tool. Champion loses a bit of the SC weight and bulk by dropping pliers. The CT34 is great for tinkering with just about anything, not just PCs. 

As a result of my findings during the challenge, I am buying a Deluxe Tinker off eBay tommorow, and hopefully, can find an affordable CT41. 

That's an interesting conclusion, a new found love for 91mm pliers? :climber:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Badges awarded to: Ivo, SVL, RIG, EBe and AlK.   :cheers:

Thanks zoidberg!  :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
I will be following in the soldier challenge, but decided not to participate.  I’m missing carrying my Yeomen (including modded variants).  The Mountain Yeoman has seen very little pocket time and I can’t wait any longer.

Though we will miss you on Soldier challenge, it does put a smile on me seeing the Yeoman in good use!  See you on Unleashed! :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Badges awarded to: Sos and comis.   :cheers:

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Thank you again, Zoidberg! :cheers:

It’s a fine beer, when I can find it!

Final thoughts on the SC and CT34
I haven’t used either very much before this challenge, especially the SC, so this was a good opportunity to concentrate on using them. From my perspective, both are a bit too large for EDC pocket carry, and I would prefer the tool mix on my InvesTigator or the Yeoman, but both would be serious contenders for putting in my work pack for the office we’re it not for February’s challenge which has given that job to a SwissTool Spirit Plus! Nonetheless, I can see myself swapping them around in that duty in future! I’ve also learnt the corkscrew far opening trick from here, and will definitely give the the can opener broken screw removal a go next time an opportunity presents itself! It’s been fun using the SC, and I’ll keep an eye out for another cheap CT lite (my CT34 started life as one until I modded it into a CT34 with central bit holder) as the magnifier is just so handy!

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
My final tought on using SC and CyberTool.

SwissChamp is beast, i managed to do everything with SwissChamp. It isnt allways best tool MT to use but it managed to do everything.

CyberTool was new MT to me to use but it is great tool only downside is that Vic need to make more bits for it. I have same size bits but its not same as those double head bits Vic makes.

Only thing i would like to see is inline awl on regular SwissChamp.

Only Tools Matters

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD