Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Free T2 as SAK replacement?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Free T2 as SAK replacement?
on: October 29, 2019, 06:38:47 PM
Howdy!

I’m wondering if I could get some opinions on the Free T2 as a possible SAK replacement?

Now this isn’t strictly a leatherman vs SAK question, just more whether this new tool would satisfy my needs better.

I’ve been carrying a Vic pioneer for over 7 years straight now as my EDC. In general, I find the tool set handy for most of my needs and I like the slim, compact package.  I’m interested in the T2 mainly because it offers a similar tool set, but with one hand opening.  There have been several times where the ability to OHO would have been helpful.  I don’t care as much about the locking features (and in someway would prefer they didn’t lock), but its not necessarily a deal breaker.

There are a couple things that make me reluctant:
1)   Thickness – it is ~18mm vs the ~12mm thickness of the pioneer.  It seems like it would be quite clunky to pocket carry
2)   One hand functionality – several reviews have mentioned it is very hard to OHO the blade, and at least one has said the same of the tools.  What has been the MTO experience?
3)   Plastic- I just don’t like it in my EDC.  That being said, if this is really good in every other area, it may make up for it.
4)   Aesthetics - This is the least concerning and most subjective thing, but it just looks so… industrial :think: Part of it is the slab sides and boxy build, and the plastic doesn’t help.  The pioneer seems like a pocket knife and not just a utilitarian tool

So, that’s basically it.  What are your opinions and thoughts?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 06:53:33 PM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Free T2 as SAK replacement?
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 06:54:13 PM
I would want to check out 1 and 2 for myself, before I'd make any commitments. :think:

3, I'm sure that the plastic is durable.

4, up to preferences.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 07:28:20 PM
I don't own a T2, but I do own a T4, so I'll try my best to answer your question based on my experience with the T4.

Thickness:  Yes, it's not as slim as a SAK, but even the T4 doesn't feel awkward during pocket carry in my opinion (but my favorite SAK is a Swisschamp, so I'm used to carrying a thick pocket knife).

OHO knife: the knife isn't the easiest to open with one hand, but after a bit of practice it's doable.  My biggest fear is that it would snap back halfway during opening when my thumb slips off while having one of my other fingers gripping around the knife (it takes some practice to keep your fingers away from the knife slot).

Plastic:  bothered me at first, but feels very durable, and even good in hand while handling the knife.

Looks: The more I see it, the more I like it.  By now I'm a fan of the look, it looks good on pics as well in my opinion.

As always, just my own humble opinion (on the T4).

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 08:24:48 PM
I would want to check out 1 and 2 for myself, before I'd make any commitments. :think:

3, I'm sure that the plastic is durable.

4, up to preferences.

Thanks. I have a cabelas close by that has them in stock, so I’m hoping to pop in and handle one in person soon.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 08:27:49 PM
I don't own a T2, but I do own a T4, so I'll try my best to answer your question based on my experience with the T4.

Thickness:  Yes, it's not as slim as a SAK, but even the T4 doesn't feel awkward during pocket carry in my opinion (but my favorite SAK is a Swisschamp, so I'm used to carrying a thick pocket knife).

OHO knife: the knife isn't the easiest to open with one hand, but after a bit of practice it's doable.  My biggest fear is that it would snap back halfway during opening when my thumb slips off while having one of my other fingers gripping around the knife (it takes some practice to keep your fingers away from the knife slot).

Plastic:  bothered me at first, but feels very durable, and even good in hand while handling the knife.

Looks: The more I see it, the more I like it.  By now I'm a fan of the look, it looks good on pics as well in my opinion.

As always, just my own humble opinion (on the T4).

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks for the detailed thoughts  :tu:

You’re comments on the opening give some things to check out when I do get to see one.

I’m looking forward to handling one to see how I like it.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 12:47:13 AM
Of all the names...that Free get me all the time!  :facepalm:

us Offline JasonJ

Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 12:28:04 AM
I do wish you could get the T2 with scissors.... Or a T4 without the file/ruler/flat driver. 

$40 for a T2, $60 for a T4..... Split the difference and sell me a T3 for $50.

I think it'll meet all of your needs fine; it's a good tool.   Aesthetics are personal, but I like the look just for from the Side, while the use of plastic doesn't bother me, the appearance of it kinda does.

I think that considering the cost of the higher layer/tool count SAK'S, they're priced fine.

Functionality wise, I don't see an issue.  It really just is going to be if it feels good to you or not. 

Full disclosure:  I don't own any of the Free series, but I've played with them and handled them.

I have mixed feelings about them, but feel much better about the T series than I do the P.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 12:36:47 AM
Of all the names...that Free get me all the time!  :facepalm:
Yes!
I was thinking: "anything free is better than anything you have to buy" ::)
Well done LM on that oxymoron.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 12:42:13 AM
I got the chance to play with a T2, T4, P4 and K4 at cabela’s yesterday.

Very initial thoughts from only a few minutes handling each:

All: easily the best fit and finish of any leatherman I’ve held with the possible exception of a PST. I’m agnostic on the magnets. I like the capabilities they provide, but I do wonder about attracting metallic shavings and their long term durability. I also don’t know if I love the design of the spacer/spring thing. It seems like a potential weak/early failure point and I’ve seen at least two instances on the web where they pop out and don’t hold the lock bar correctly.

K4: honestly probably my favorite. I was surprised how much I liked it. It’s a very large knife to me, and not something I’d carry because of the size, but if they ever did a mini version in the same format, it would likely be and instant buy for me. Easily the best action of all the free series I handled. And the most aesthetically pleasing and ergonomic to me. Though I’d still go with the K2 load out for size as well.

P4: I liked it, but I felt the tools weren’t the best of designs. I have a feeling the version 2.0 of this tool could be the first real competition to the Vic spirit to me. I do like the one hand opening, and it definitely felt premium.

T2: I kind of liked this. I like the tool selection and the one hand opening. The blade is almost impossible to one hand open, and I don’t think it’s a technique thing. I could overlook that though. I really wish they could have found a way to make the tool a little more rounded or at least not so slab sided.  It does seem like it could be pocket carried, but it was hard to tell. Again, I’m really interested in what a 2.0 version with a refined design could be.

T4: too many tools I wouldn’t use and just too bulky. I’d never be able to pocket carry a lump like that, and it felt far too wide for a comfortable pocket clip carry.

So, at this point I’m leaning towards passing, but I’m still thinking of the T2....

Offline stugumby

Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 04:28:49 PM
I have now bought both T2 and T4 knives,like them both but by no means can they replace a beloved victorinox explorer/cliber/ranger etc. Tool sets are adequate and functional but for same or less money a vic will give you more blades, better awl and a longer main blade. Pocket clip is handy and the tools are eminently serviceable. Not the fit and finish/high polish but for everyday carry light industrial use etc they will be work horses. I like the phillips and really like that all the tools lock. Victorinox has it beat with tools selection and added features. Im carrying my T4 with a 2004 2nd gen wave and they cross complement each other fairly well, the T4 has an awl, the wave dosnt. Scissors are bigger and more robust and easier to use in smaller T4. Pry/package opener is also quite handy. I have used the awl to ream out small pilot holes for putting up security scan points and drove the screw with the phillips. Lot more efficient than using the wave plus it has the longer reach. Good solid built blades and tools, comes down to breaking old habits of Victorinox as a pocket knife vs the T series. Best approach is to handle one at a store before you buy, hands on before purchase. Im happy with mine but wont spend $140 for a P4, might get a K4 at tax time. Good hunting.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 02:06:01 PM
I only played with T4 at Cabela, but in the end I walked away with K4. 

Personally, I think T4 is just a bulky and more expensive version of SAK with OH blade, the low tool density/weight ratio is what kills it for me.(SAK Ranger is lighter and cheaper than T4, but virtually twice the tools/function count)  I can't help but have the feeling someone took an arm off the P4, and just trying to make a separate tool without bother to think how best to improve it. 

On the other hand, K4 as a knife based tool has a more functional OH lockable blade, while it is just a tad bit heavier than T4(which I think the weight difference is well worth it).

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 02:46:18 PM
Interesting thoughts there!  :like: :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 03:35:27 AM
 :iagree:

us Offline Screwdriver

Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 10:20:02 PM
I picked up a T4 today and really like it. I only do clip carry unless it is a full size MT which is why I kinda stay away from SAK. F&F is probably the best I have seen on a Leatherman. While it seems bulky, in actual carry it is pretty nice. One of the rare tools when clipped has zero interference with my meat hands getting in and out of my jean pockets. One handed blade opening is bunk unless you practice, but in real world I just see it as a standard blade. Overall I am pretty happy and it will see rotating pocket time with my Skeletool CX and Rev.

Offline stugumby

Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 11:24:49 PM

For those that are looking to buy a K-2 heres a size comparison pic with a T-4 and a C33X
k2.jpg
* k2.jpg (Filesize: 127.9 KB)

us Offline Screwdriver

Reply #15 on: January 29, 2020, 01:02:39 AM

For those that are looking to buy a K-2 heres a size comparison pic with a T-4 and a C33X

How does the K2 carry compared to the T4?......mainly looking at the K4.

Offline stugumby

Reply #16 on: January 29, 2020, 02:34:33 AM
Longer and thinner, clip rides good,tip of the blade faces up, no snag points other than the blade lock tabs but the body of the handle is tapered past them. Only negative ive seen so far with K2 is no flipper blade launcher lever on the jimping part of the handle, you have to use the thumbhole. This is a good solid tool, no blade wobble etc.You can "feel" the pocket clip if tightly gripping the knife, not really a hot spot or pinch point, just a pressure into your palm.

us Offline Screwdriver

Reply #17 on: January 29, 2020, 03:04:27 AM
Longer and thinner, clip rides good,tip of the blade faces up, no snag points other than the blade lock tabs but the body of the handle is tapered past them. Only negative ive seen so far with K2 is no flipper blade launcher lever on the jimping part of the handle, you have to use the thumbhole. This is a good solid tool, no blade wobble etc.You can "feel" the pocket clip if tightly gripping the knife, not really a hot spot or pinch point, just a pressure into your palm.

Thanks man!  :D

I just bought the T4 and really like it. Carries way better that I thought it would from the pictures. Was also looking at the K4 and might have to pick one up.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: January 29, 2020, 03:54:06 AM
It does look nice for sure  :cheers:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 29, 2020, 06:19:43 AM
Hollow Sabre grind will make a big (negative) difference for cutting your apples if that is relevant.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Screwdriver

Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 04:15:18 PM
Hollow Sabre grind will make a big (negative) difference for cutting your apples if that is relevant.

I don't think I have ever cut an apple...I go at them like a hungry donkey.  :D

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: January 29, 2020, 05:05:55 PM
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
 :like: :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: January 29, 2020, 08:43:58 PM