Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK for blade-free zones

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
SAK for blade-free zones
on: November 12, 2019, 06:40:52 PM
Based on a suggestion from SirVicaLot, here’s an idea for a bladeless SAK. Not intended to pass TSA rules, more for EDC in areas where blades are not allowed or frowned upon.

So keeping to max 4 layers for pocket carry, here goes:

L1: scissors | hook
L2: in-line Phillips/cap lifter* | open
L3: wood saw | awl**
L4: file | corkscrew***
Plus scales

*Cap lifter instead of magnifier. Tip will need about 1mm trimmed to avoid catching tip of Phillips. Will need 2x 0.4mm washers to match layer width. Combo tool alternative, but not as suitable for light prying. Alternative is LED and keep opener layer. Would slot tool at pivot area so that it could be removed when rotated vertical to use independently from SAK and to allow SAK cleaning.

**lose awl with opener layer, so swap out back fine screwdriver for awl. Will need to to be thinned from 2mm to 1.75mm and will stow a little lower, but liner has half-moon recess.

***file to use blade backspring to support corkscrew, but modified to include tip rest area of file backspring, which will need 0.7mm shim to match width. Pivot area of file may need fettling to close correctly and washer. Alternatively, use file backspring but corkscrew pivot area will need thinning to match layer width.

So some options...  :dunno:

Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Re: SAK for blade-free zones
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 06:56:13 PM
You certainly have some experience modding  :tu: I have no idea about those little things that can make or break a mod.

I like the idea with the removable LED, but I carry a small torch on my keys, so it is not a must have.  I know i am committing  a sacrilege by removing the awl, i just have no use for it besides woodworking...which i would not do when carrying a bladeless SAK. The backside options are rather limited though, so i think i would take the small screwdriver.

Someone else have an idea for the backside?

england Offline Rathbone

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 07:55:46 PM
I would go for something like that. For me I'd lose scissors and include pliers

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 08:06:30 PM
Will follow this! As shown in the other thread I have a bladeless one already with the full opening layer but would not say no to a plier layer

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline Sos24

SAK for blade-free zones
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 08:43:43 PM
I know you said the intention wasn’t necessarily to pass TSA rules but I wonder if the below would

L2: in-line Phillips/magnifying glass | open
L3: combo tool or cap lifter/nail file from Evo line or Sportsman | corkscrew?
Plus scales

OR

L1: file | corkscrew
L2: scissors | hook
L3: in-line Phillips/magnifying glass | open
L4: opener layer | chisel or small driver in place or awl

In going with the non-TSA and more of a brainstorming thought that may not even be possible is whether the chisel tool from a Spirit would work in a SAK mod?  It would be awesome if it could fit across from either in-line phillips, cap lifter, or combo tool.  But there would also be the question of would it be considered a blade because of the sharp edge and tip.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 09:27:18 PM
I actually have no idea what TSA allows today. At one point they confiscated anything pointy of any length. Maybe someone has the current rules handy?

If it’s possible to accommodate TSA requirements, maybe we define a TSA safe bladeless SAK and a less rigorous blade-free model?

Let’s see...  :think:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 10:00:12 PM
Last time i checked even scissors were against TSA regs. I thought about the chisel from the spirit too, but that would be an expensive donor. I am also fairly confident that it would be considered a „blade“.

I would not go so far as to try to make it TSA safe. In the end it comes down to the officer at the checkpoint. If they say it is a blade or weapon, you can quote regulations all you want. You won‘t be taking that tool into an airplane. I would stick with bladeless for EDC.

us Offline chewbacca

Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 05:09:37 PM
I was looking into this a few weeks ago. 

Scissors are okay as long as the blade is under 4".
Corkscrews are okay.
Saws appear to be off limits (they specifically show a Sawzall blade on their web site.)
Screwdrivers are okay as long as they are under 7".

I think a chisel would be off limits...but it might depend on the TSA officer.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 06:08:07 PM
That‘s what I mean. If we go TSA safe we end up with a SAK that has Tweezers and Toothpick only  :D

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 08:54:03 PM
That‘s what I mean. If we go TSA safe we end up with a SAK that has Tweezers and Toothpick only  :D
:rofl:

And I can think how a 4” screwdriver (let alone 7”) could be a nasty weapon. So I think we park the TSA requirement and just focus on ground-based environments.

us Offline chewbacca

Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 09:23:59 PM
I know you said the intention wasn’t necessarily to pass TSA rules but I wonder if the below would

L2: in-line Phillips/magnifying glass | open
L3: combo tool or cap lifter/nail file from Evo line or Sportsman | corkscrew?
Plus scales

OR

L1: file | corkscrew
L2: scissors | hook
L3: in-line Phillips/magnifying glass | open
L4: opener layer | chisel or small driver in place or awl

In going with the non-TSA and more of a brainstorming thought that may not even be possible is whether the chisel tool from a Spirit would work in a SAK mod?  It would be awesome if it could fit across from either in-line phillips, cap lifter, or combo tool.  But there would also be the question of would it be considered a blade because of the sharp edge and tip.

For the back layers, maybe you should be looking at using more 58mm tools.  I am really interested in using the 58mm combo tool on the back of an in-line phillips or scissors.  I would love to have a #1 and #2 phillips on a 91mm tool.  But you could also look at nail files or even that orange peeler. 

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 09:30:48 PM
Interesting idea. I’ve never considered 58mm SAK tools for the back of a 91mm SAK mod. So potentially open up new possibilities.  :dunno:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 09:41:29 PM
That would be awesome. Never been a fan of the back layer besides the Cs, so anything would be an improvement.

Is that possible, Max? I assume you would have to change the 58mm tools to some degree?

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 09:53:38 PM
I remember seeing someone putting a 58mm scissors as a back tool so that works

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 01:31:22 AM
Would this work:

L2: in-line Phillips/cap lifter* | Combo Tool (from a Rambler)
Plus scales

One could also add the pliers to make it a 5 layer or replace L1 with the pliers depending on preference.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 05:54:11 AM
I just thought that the most likely environment to carry this tool would be urban. So does it make sense to add the wood saw? Or could we save that layer?  :think:

us Offline chewbacca

Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 04:30:01 PM
I have two used Ramblers inbound from Ebay.  If I get to it before Max gets building, I will let you know how it goes.

Opposite the in-line Phillips, I think I saw where Syph installed both the can and bottle openers with a .005" spacer and two back springs, like Vic does with the scaler and file on some knives.  This would give you both openers (and screwdrivers)

In place of the saw, I know it might sound silly, but you could include a fish scaler.  The blunted teeth on the scaler makes short work of reinforced tape for opening cartons, and the blunt tip won't cut into the contents...then again, you could use the can opener for that.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 05:54:56 PM
That is actually a good idea. The tip of the fish scaler also works on those slotted screws that are used on some toys or power plugs.  :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 09:15:30 PM
Would this work:

L2: in-line Phillips/cap lifter* | Combo Tool (from a Rambler)
Plus scales

One could also add the pliers to make it a 5 layer or replace L1 with the pliers depending on preference.

I need to do some research on the 58mm tools.

Also thought about the double flats opposite the inline Phillips. I have swapped around the openers and a little work is needed on the pivot area.

Lots of options. Will need to find some time to experiment a little.  :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #19 on: November 15, 2019, 12:01:17 AM
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

us Offline Sos24

SAK for blade-free zones
Reply #20 on: November 15, 2019, 12:11:32 AM
I have two used Ramblers inbound from Ebay.  If I get to it before Max gets building, I will let you know how it goes.

Opposite the in-line Phillips, I think I saw where Syph installed both the can and bottle openers with a .005" spacer and two back springs, like Vic does with the scaler and file on some knives.  This would give you both openers (and screwdrivers)

In place of the saw, I know it might sound silly, but you could include a fish scaler.  The blunted teeth on the scaler makes short work of reinforced tape for opening cartons, and the blunt tip won't cut into the contents...then again, you could use the can opener for that.

I realy like both those ideas.

So based off that would it be possible to due a bladeless with:

L2: in-line Phillips/cap lifter and can opener | ?
L3: fish scaler and file | ?
Plus scales

If that is possible, I’d definitely be in line for one of those.  It might even become my edc in conjunction with a folding knife.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:22:23 AM by Sos24 »

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #21 on: November 15, 2019, 01:56:46 AM
If you add pliers I am in too  :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #22 on: November 15, 2019, 04:25:49 AM
Personally, I wouldn't carry a modified Vic or Wenger in that setting. Even if it doesn't have a blade, it looks like it should. Only takes one person to recognise it for what it should be, think you've managed to get a knife somewhere you shouldn't, and your day just got more complicated than necessary.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #23 on: November 15, 2019, 05:16:12 AM
That could be the scenario. However like me, I expect that most people would consider a bladeless SAK more out of a personal choice rather than trying to beat the system. There are no signs at some places saying no knives, but in many cases it would be considered improper. I probably would not take a chance at a high security location like a court room or government building.  :salute:

I definitely will look into the build suggestions above.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #24 on: November 15, 2019, 05:37:26 AM
 :iagree: I am not gonna wave that tool in everyones face. I just want a tool for places where a blade is improper, not illegal. Being without a tool makes me just feel uncomfortable. I like to be prepared, and we all know how much utility you can get out a little SAK if push comes to shove.

@Max: Looking forward to your builds. Let me know if you need donor SAKs  :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #25 on: November 15, 2019, 02:31:30 PM
Thanks Sir Vic. I picked up an Explorer yesterday to get an inline Phillips and scissors, and I have an old Montaineer to strip for the file.

If the backspring supports it, will try to squeeze the scaler in too as I have a few of these lying around, and while I normally see the scaler as a rather pointless tool, in a bladeless SAK it could get more appreciation.

Pliers would be an easy add, but I just used the pair I had for the Mechanic CS build.

Will see if I have time this weekend to test a few options.  :salute:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #26 on: November 15, 2019, 03:25:26 PM
 :popcorn:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: November 15, 2019, 07:58:37 PM
Good idea doing a blade less SAK, gonna keep following this thread now! :tu:

In reality, the red scale on SAK is so iconic that, if I were to go blade less with a mod, I'd probably lose those red scales, otherwise people will still think you are pulling be out a knife as soon as they see the red scale. :D

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #28 on: November 15, 2019, 08:11:57 PM
Good point comis.  :tu:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #29 on: November 16, 2019, 12:14:34 AM
I would get custom scales anyway. But that is just me  :pok:  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41