Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Nessmuk Challenge

comis · 1462 · 34725

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: The Nessmuk Challenge
Reply #1020 on: September 18, 2020, 07:32:14 PM
 :2tu:

It awl depends on your needs........and how much weight/bulk you feel like carrying.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 07:45:05 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1021 on: September 18, 2020, 07:44:28 PM
Day 18 (bonus):

When putting my Winter fire kit away, I went ahead and added a lanyard to the magnesium block. Used the Fx to cut the lanyard twine.  :D

I also added in a foil fire starter....which was left over from some other kit or trip.....  :facepalm:

The foil is a pretty versatile resource. It is based on a trick taught to me by a Navy SEAL during a survival course. It is really a 4"x 4" gauze pad (medical dressing) impregnated with vaseline. This gets folded into a large sheet of aluminum foil. I store it in a zip-top bag to keep the vaseline from oozing onto other gear. It has several uses!

1. The gauze can be pulled out and used in parts or whole as a fire starter/tinder.
2. The foil can be folded to make a small vessel to melt snow for water.
3. The gauze can be used as a dressing for burns or wounds.
4. The gauze and foil together can be used to make an occlusive dressing for a penetrating chest wound.
5. The foil can serve as a base to keep your tinder dry from damp ground or snow. (Even if you build a small platform of logs to get your tinder up off the ground, the foil is useful in preventing tind from falling between the logs.)
6. A small hole or 'X' can be cut into the foil and a bit of gauze can be teased up through the foil to form a wick. You now have a very flat candle!
7. The foil may be useful as a small signaling device.

I've probably forgotten more of the uses...by your imagination and creativity will surely come up with more....  :D

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1022 on: September 18, 2020, 09:32:58 PM
Well thought out fire kits. I have nothing like that. Just my trusty Zippo, but I've been meaning to get an extra big ferro rod just to have one around.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1023 on: September 18, 2020, 09:37:57 PM
 :cheers:

I have a big ferro rod somewhere.... They seem a bit heavy to lug around, but they are fun to practice/play with.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1024 on: September 18, 2020, 10:06:04 PM
It would be good to hear from some of the folks from more Northern countries about preparing for Winter fire-making.  :tu:

se Offline RF52

Reply #1025 on: September 18, 2020, 10:07:08 PM
Fatwood, birch bark and a lighter is usually my go to :tu:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1026 on: September 18, 2020, 11:09:53 PM
 :like:  I wish it were easier to find birch bark around here. Aspen bark is no substitute! 

se Offline RF52

Reply #1027 on: September 18, 2020, 11:21:27 PM
What! You don't have birch trees up in those beautiful montains??

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1028 on: September 18, 2020, 11:50:55 PM

us Offline David

Reply #1029 on: September 19, 2020, 12:07:45 AM
Day 19
IMG_4670.JPG
* IMG_4670.JPG (Filesize: 37.63 KB)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1030 on: September 19, 2020, 12:08:36 AM
Gotta love a good Jack Knife!   :tu:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #1031 on: September 19, 2020, 03:57:45 AM
Day 18. Between being a couple days behind on college work, and being pretty wet I didn't do much.

KIMG2215 by cody6268, on Flickr

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1032 on: September 19, 2020, 04:21:26 AM
Nice shot, though!  :tu:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #1033 on: September 19, 2020, 05:42:31 AM
Day 18
Didn't do anything today and almost forgot to take a picture so here's a last minute glamor shot.
Nessmuk 2020 18.JPG
* Nessmuk 2020 18.JPG (Filesize: 111.49 KB)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #1034 on: September 19, 2020, 07:19:19 AM
Day 19

I cut a staff.

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #1035 on: September 19, 2020, 07:56:39 AM
Day 10:
Early start. Corvid supporting Guppie on sorting out yesterday’s battery prob. on truck:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by this axe I rule

se Offline RF52

Reply #1036 on: September 19, 2020, 09:04:04 AM
Day 19:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1037 on: September 19, 2020, 02:24:59 PM
:o
Holy smurf. That must have been the lightest canoe ever! :ahhh
My thought exactly!

Day 18:

:iagree: 

For the most part I don’t have a dedicated “fire kit” with me during regular hikes or camps. I’ll be sure to have a ferro rod with me and some matches in waterproof container.  I might have a Bic lighter.

And…I usually have my mini-survival kit, aka the ‘Boo-boo” kit (featured in an earlier post in this thread. I’ll post the contents of that at some point.). The Boo-boo kit has some fire making resources.

However, my mindset changes when I’m out in winter cold and deep snow either by myself or if I’m with my hiking/hunting buddy.

I tend to be more on the cautious side of the scale . My buddy tends to be more…..’adventurous’.  :D

We’ve manage to get ourselves a bit lost a few times.  And he tends to be less prepared than I am (which I think is one reason he calls me up to go on some adventure: he doesn’t like to be out on his own…and shouldn’t be!  :rofl: )

So, last Fall, when he said he wanted to go hunting up in the mountains…during a snow storm…I put a Winter fire kit together. I wanted to be sure that if we got stuck somewhere I could make at least two (2) fires. One fire to survive the first night, and another when we got lost trying to hike out….

(Image removed from quote.)

The kit is based on a small 8.5” x 6.5” (21.5 cm x 16.5 cm) pouch I sewed up from pieces of an old army duffle bag. The bag is water-resistant, but not water proof—it has a regular zipper top.

Actually, the zipper is not the best choice here. If I had had a larger YKK zipper that was a bit more rugged, I would have used that. Thinking about cold and numb hands, I added an easy-to-see zipper pull.

Inside are two zip-top bags, one with a Bic, the other with more options. The two bags, with the pouch weigh 7.88 oz (223 gm). Probably heavier than it needs to be, but it does give me options.

The Bic lighter is probably extraneous. I had one in my pants pocket (I’m pretty sure) when we were out. However, Bics don’t do well when they get wet and cold. So a back up is a good idea.  Here the idea is that if I know I’m going to need to make a fire at that moment, I’ll pull this Bic out of my fire kit and stuff it into a chest pocket to get it warmed up while I gather fire wood. That’s why it is in a separate bag.   ;)

Now to the main pouch:

This pouch is an old MRE hot beverage bag. I like these things because they are a good size and tough, as well as waterproof. The whole reason for the green pouch is to protect the MRE bag. However, this specific bag had also been used the year before as a fire kit (sort of recycled for the following year) and it seems to still be intact. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to replace it, however.

The duct tape tabs on the opening is designed to make opening the bag (these can be tough to open up) easier with cold & numb hands. I do this with a lot of my kits, e.g. FAKs, that get stored in zip-top bags. I don’t want to be fumbling with a bag when I need FAK supplies or fire starters. (And duct tape can be used to start a fire, too.  ;) )

The contents:

Top, left, going around clockwise: 

— Small zip bag with a couple hanks of waxed jute. I love this stuff and it is my favorite fire starter (close up later).

— Small ferro rod, tested; throws great sparks.

— Military magnesium block with striker. I don’t love these, but they do work. Looking at it now, I think I should add a small cord lanyard to this one.

— SOL “Wet fire”. These things are great and catch a spark nicely. Great tinder to have if one is trying to get some damp wood going.

— Candle. A candle can be used to increase the temp of a snow cave (watch out for drips), but a candle is the ultimate fire starter. For fire starting a small tea-candle might be a better choice, but this candle is multipurpose. I light the candle before putting it in the bag so I know the wick has drawn up some wax and will be more water-resistant.

— Small bag of vaseline impregnated cotton. This is actually a mix of vaseline and Bag Balm (David will know what that is.  ). If I have the Wet Fire tinder, do I need vaseline-cotton? I don’t know, but I can raid this to use for chapped lips or hands or minor cuts. And if conditions are not too rough, I can use just a little of this to get a flame going.

— Box of waterproof matches in a zip bag. A match safe with hurricane matches might be even better, but I like these little boxes of wooden matches. Nessmuk was a match man.

In the center:

— small bag of char cloth. In reality, given other options, the char cloth probably isn’t needed. But I’ve fond char cloth to be so useful catching a spark, and it is so small and light…why not?  :dunno:

— ‘fire straw’. I don’t remember where I learned about these, but a few years ago I made a batch of vaseline impregnated cotton balls stuffed into ordinary soda straws that get hot-crimped to seal them up. Consider them a poor-man’s Wet Fire. I think this is my last one. They work great and I should probably make up a few more…..

Close up of my waxed jute and the ‘fire straw’:

Here’s the problem with my jute hank: it has too much wax. I overdid it. Even in good conditions I’m going to have to mess around pulling it apart (trying to save some of the wax that will inevitably fall off) and tease the fibers out. The good thing is that some fibers can be exposed at one end and the whole thing can be burned like a candle. But, if my hands are cold and numb and not working…..let’s break open a Wet Fire….. Even with its shortcomings, waxed jut is still my favorite tinder.  :tu:

The MRE bag, repacked, weighs 5.5 oz (157 gm).  I could probably save a bit of weight by ditching the magnesium bar…and maybe some of the jute. A smaller candle might also save weight. However, I did not mind carrying this kit with me over many snowy miles. The options give me peace of mind that even in tough circumstances I can get a fire going.

Assembled all in the green pouch, it is fairly slim and can easily fit into a pack pocket, waist bag, or cargo pants pocket. There is plenty of room to spare in the green pouch—it could be used to collect tinder and small kindling.

So, that’s my Winter kit. I see room for a couple of changes. I think I’ll add a small piece of aluminum foil to use as a tinder base. Not necessary, but potentially useful in wet/snowy conditions. Otherwise, it will probably stay exactly as is for this coming Winter.  :D

Thank you for such a detail writeup!  I don't know it is because I live by the Boy Scout motto, or just my paranoia, but it is always assuring to see people are well prepared for different scenario.  You don't know what you don't know, and sometimes even some mild careless negligence could result in grave consequences(anyone seen/read "Into thin air"?)

In terms of survival and getting rescued, just my 2 cents worth--I think one of the common sense everyone knows, but always overlooked, is to let 2-3 responsible people know where/when/how/why.

I had the same thought, i don't live a Nessmuk life but if i did i think i would want a saw, axe, saw and fixed blade about covers it for me, yes the axe can do the job of the saw mostly but the saw is so much better at it, even though its the folder i have used most in this challenge so far, i would question it if i was thrown into the wild, things might change but that's where i am for now.

Day 18 And on that note, it's true i could have used the axe and tidied it up with a blade but i needed a clean cut with no splits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwPYNHeoPM8&t=5m8s
That was a aha moment for me in terms of survival saw.  Kochanski is always inspiring and a true expert in borreal forest survival.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1038 on: September 19, 2020, 03:09:26 PM

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1040 on: September 19, 2020, 05:52:03 PM
Day 10:
Early start. Corvid supporting Guppie on sorting out yesterday’s battery prob. on truck:

Nice blade!

Day 19:(Image removed from quote.)

That's a good start for the day!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1041 on: September 19, 2020, 08:07:12 PM
Day 19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCvPjN8lVjI&ab_channel=ComisGear

Finally got the time to put this one together, using my Nessmuk Challenge SAK to open a young coconut! :D

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #1042 on: September 19, 2020, 10:50:00 PM
Fantastic work everyone!

I think Nessmuk would have greatly appreaciated multitools as a knife substitue, partially because it would give him a folding saw of decent capability  :tu:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline David

Reply #1043 on: September 19, 2020, 11:03:16 PM
Day 19
IMG_4677.JPG
* IMG_4677.JPG (Filesize: 47.08 KB)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1044 on: September 19, 2020, 11:36:25 PM
Day...19:

Time is flying by!   :ahhh

Less smoke today...because we got rain, drizzle, more rain, and drizzle......  :rofl:

I have a tarp that I haven't used yet. I took the rainy day to modify some tent pegs by adding longer loops. You guys know I like my pegs pre loaded with XL loops--gives me options. Also made some guys lines to keep in the tarp's stuff sack. Again, It's nice to have some bits and pieces pre-cut, loops tied in one end, just to make setting up a tarp a bit less of a fuss.

The 'muk did awl the cutting work with ease. Since it is already on my belt, it always close at hand and ready to use.

I'll see if I can get this tarp out on the trail soon.......

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #1045 on: September 20, 2020, 12:20:16 AM

That was a aha moment for me in terms of survival saw.  Kochanski is always inspiring and a true expert in borreal forest survival.

:like: the blade doesn't really weigh anything, easy enough to make the saw from wood you find and you already have string to tension it, sounds good to me  :tu:

Day 19

Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #1046 on: September 20, 2020, 01:49:17 AM
Day 19
I do like the idea of a smaller fixed blade knife for EDC if it isn't a problem with the law or work rules.  I am really enjoying the Frosts Little Black Talon for this use. It is what I consider an ideal size for an EDC fixed blade with a 3 inch or less blade length and about 4 inches of handle.  I have carried others but some have been less convenient or uncomfortable to carry.  I have seen many carry an ESEE Izula or Izula 2. Seems a good size. Anybody have other recommendations?  I try to avoid anything that looks or feels too military/tactical for my tastes.  So far I haven't found anything that works better than the Mora classic type knives for general purpose EDC but it would be nice to have something that could fit in a back pocket scabbard paired with a multitool and the Izula does that well. I have been carrying the Little Black Talon and Victorinox Spirit in my back pocket instead of dangling from my belt for the last week, because I never did like stuff on my belt. Anything on my belt somehow always gets in the way.
Nessmuk 2020 19.JPG
* Nessmuk 2020 19.JPG (Filesize: 90.7 KB)

us Offline cody6268

Reply #1047 on: September 20, 2020, 02:42:50 AM
Day 19: did some yard work.

KIMG2219 by cody6268, on Flickr

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1048 on: September 20, 2020, 03:19:49 AM
Alan, I've got several fixies in that size range.

Scott Gossman makes a few--or he'll make just the knife you want.  Same with Matt Lesnewski. Matt's knives are very handmade and he has an old-fashion, frontier style. I love 'em. But what really sets them apart is their incredible edge geometry and sharpness. I've got a couple ML knives and can't say enough good things about his work.

On the less expensive side, I really like the BK-11, shown here against an Izula:

Also pictured above is a custom Wissahickon....I forget the model....'Muskrat' or something. I picked this one up on a whim...and found I really like it. 3" blade, scandi grind, 1095. But for me, the big selling point is the full, well-rounded handle. I don't recall what I paid for this one, but it was not too expensive. (I might have gotten it when the maker was younger and starting out.)

Sometimes customs seem expensive, but these guys are making some great and practical knives that fill a few niches the big makers don't cover. Keep your eyes open and you might find a perfect knife for you.

Now I'm looking at some of Matt's models......oooooh.......

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #1049 on: September 20, 2020, 05:09:53 AM
Day 11:
Early start, can’t quarantee a result, but there will be noise:

by this axe I rule

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!