Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why are gerber models so hard to find on eBay?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Why are gerber models so hard to find on eBay?
on: December 29, 2019, 02:36:28 AM
I’ve been looking for some older gerber models, and haven’t had any luck at all.  Old leatherman tools are a dime a dozen, but something like the gerber octane or grappler seem to never come up on the ‘bay. Any idea why?

Charles.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Why are gerber models so hard to find on eBay?
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 03:20:17 AM
Poor sales?

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 06:00:11 AM
Until I joined this site and learned about the Gerber Episodes thread created by Chako that lists most, if not all Gerber multi tools, I didn't know the other models existed.  Gerber doesn't have a page on their website that lists discontinued products as Klein Tools and Leatherman does, so it's entirely possible some do not know about the model's that have been long discontinued let alone the differences with the MP series.

In some respects, eBay is a "collector's" market and as a consumer, you are likely going to pay "collector prices" for the most part.  Some Gerber model's such as the Gerber MP650, Gerber Trail Blazer, Cable Cutter, that freedom model, custom colors and other models are seen as more rare. Because these have been discontinued for years, decades, finding any of these items regardless of condition can be quite the challenge.  As of 2019, there was a listing of a MP650 with three head variation's that sold for roughly $340.   First production run products tend to go for even more.

Sometimes this is a matter of "luck"  and being on eBay using the "best" descriptions as well.  This truly depends on the model number as certain Gerber multi tools i.e. the Torx sliding design, pin design and Saf-T lock MP 600 and MP400 are the most common. 

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 06:12:46 AM
Well, I just really wanted to try an Octane for EDC, since it already has a pocket clip and an OHO blade, along with some decently sized drivers. An MP600-lite. I'm surprised it didn't catch on, it seems like a really neat idea.

Charles.

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 06:18:39 AM
I've never used or owned an Octane, but did briefly own a Gerber Grappler. In my case, I might have over taxed this removing a very rusted pin, but this served it's purpose for that one use I suppose.  Perhaps some day I might find a Gerber MP650 or MP600/MP400 Fisherman, yet those are quite rare. 

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 01:06:22 PM
Well, I just really wanted to try an Octane for EDC, since it already has a pocket clip and an OHO blade, along with some decently sized drivers. An MP600-lite. I'm surprised it didn't catch on, it seems like a really neat idea.

I don't think the Octane sold in great numbers, which means it is going to be harder to find than the more popular models.  I bought both mine back in 2014.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 01:11:16 PM
  Perhaps some day I might find a Gerber MP650 or MP600/MP400 Fisherman, yet those are quite rare.

Keep looking, they do turn up on evilbay every now and then, but whether you will be willing to pay the high price most sellers are asking for is another issue.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 08:26:49 PM
Keep looking, they do turn up on evilbay every now and then, but whether you will be willing to pay the high price most sellers are asking for is another issue.

I've managed to find a Gerber Recoil, Multi Lite,  factory sealed MP450, factory sealed MP700, boxed pin variation of the needle nose MP600, first production 1991 Gerber MP600 and Grappler, so perhaps I may find a MP650 and Trail Blazer in the future perhaps.

As I mentioned in my initial post, with eBay, in several instances, you are likely going to pay "collector's prices".  What that entails may either mean "high" prices or this could mean just about any price.  Personally I am just glad eBay cut ties with Paypal, as for the longest time  in order to purchase anything, you had to use Paypal.  Ebay isn't perfect by any stretch either and I've had my share of headaches with them as well.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%