Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Evolution S557 - closed pliers with small gap?

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Evolution S557 - closed pliers with small gap?
on: January 07, 2020, 08:05:15 PM
Honourable knights,

I just had to try one of the Evolution models and just today received a nice Evowood S557. I was particularly interested in the Wenger-style pliers but found they don't close perfectly, unlike the Vic-style pliers. I attach a picture to illustrate this. Is this normal for this type of pliers or did I receive a lemon?

Thanks and cheers,

Simon
20200107_195937-1512x2016.jpg
* 20200107_195937-1512x2016.jpg (Filesize: 66.98 KB)

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Evolution S557 - closed pliers with small gap?
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 09:59:03 PM
Just checked all my Wenger style pliers (Wenger and Victorinox Delémont versions) and at first I didn't see a gap like the one on yours, but...

When I hold them up to a light (like you do in your pic) I see the same thing as in your pic.

So I guess it's quite normal for that type of pliers, if not I own a bunch of lemons...

:ahhh

Edit: Do the tips touch on yours, that's hard to see in your pic.  On mine the very point of the tip touches, while there's a small gap on the rest of the pliers (like in your pic).

Second edit: Damn this is hard to see, just checked again and turns out that the tip doesn't touch, it's the back of the pliers that actually touch.  Discovered this when I tried to pull out a hair on my arm with it, couldn't pinch it with the tip, but pulled it out with the back of the plier tip (I hope this makes sense...).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 10:14:26 PM by Top-Gear-24 »

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 10:05:43 PM
  When I got my EvoWood S557 the pliers are all messed up, with gunk metal in the gripper parts of the pliers, and nothing worked. Was another issue iirc but don't remember. Sent it in for warranty repair and think it took a month to get it back, as Wenger was transitioning at the time, moving offices, departments, something.

Never used the slip-jointed pliers for anything. They seem more like gimmicks than being useful for anything. Even the open ended wrench is useless. It does not have a 3/8 inch opening on the end. If it did it would of gotten some use.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 10:08:50 PM
Just checked my Wenger Evowood S557 and hate to inform you mine closes perfectly. The only light coming through is between the pliers' teeth.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 10:11:42 PM
Same here.  Also a Vic Delemont Wood S557,  pliers are fine, as they also are on my Wenger S557.
R

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 10:21:33 PM
Did you guys do the "hair test"?

It's very hard to see, I could've sworn mine touched, until I tried to pull out a hair on my arm.

Checked on a Vic S54 Evogrip, and on a quite old Wenger Classic 50.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 10:28:20 PM
I should test everything before I post here...  ::)

Just did the "hair test" on all my Wenger style pliers, and turns out only one (one of my Victorinox Delémont S54 Evogrips) can't pull out a hair with the tip, the rest performed just (painfully) fine...

fi Offline Gath

Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 10:42:37 PM
The field of SAKology salutes your sacrifice, Top-Gear-24.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 10:54:09 PM
 :iagree: :tu:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 10:54:57 PM
The field of SAKology salutes your sacrifice, Top-Gear-24.

I only fulfilled my duty as a Swiss Army Knight... 

:SAKnight:

Show content
Acting all tough now, but during the test I was more like this  :ahhh

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 11:15:10 PM
This is interesting, I dug a little deeper and found this old thread concerning the original Wenger S557. At least in the pre-Delemont days, this phenomenon was already known:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=43815.0

Edit: Do the tips touch on yours, that's hard to see in your pic.  On mine the very point of the tip touches, while there's a small gap on the rest of the pliers (like in your pic).

Second edit: Damn this is hard to see, just checked again and turns out that the tip doesn't touch, it's the back of the pliers that actually touch.  Discovered this when I tried to pull out a hair on my arm with it, couldn't pinch it with the tip, but pulled it out with the back of the plier tip (I hope this makes sense...).

Topgear, I checked and just made the same discovery: at first I thought the very point of the tip touches slightly, but when moving the closed pliers around before a light source, I found the tip does not actually touch (and I am not even sure the "heels" of the pliers have contact). Since Andy and Mechanickal don't seem to have the problem, this looks like a slight quality issue to me.

I say slight as the gap is so small you need a backlight to detect it, and pulling single sheets of paper probably isn't the normal use case for this type of pliers. That said, at least the pliers I have do not qualify as "super tweezers" the way the Vic-style pliers do.

I am interested to get more input from other Wenger/Delemont users. As I seem to be only the second user of this forum to bring the problem up, it might not be all that relevant in real life. Maybe we are just pulling hairs here...  :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 11:21:58 PM by Simon_Templar »

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 11:18:58 PM
  When I got my EvoWood S557 the pliers are all messed up, with gunk metal in the gripper parts of the pliers, and nothing worked. Was another issue iirc but don't remember. Sent it in for warranty repair and think it took a month to get it back, as Wenger was transitioning at the time, moving offices, departments, something.

Never used the slip-jointed pliers for anything. They seem more like gimmicks than being useful for anything. Even the open ended wrench is useless. It does not have a 3/8 inch opening on the end. If it did it would of gotten some use.

Outback, I just realized it was you who started the old thread to which I just posted the link! Good to know you are still active and thanks for your earlier investigations!

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 02:41:49 AM
After testing (oww) the pliers on my Delemont S557 Evogrip work just fine to yank out arm hair. Looking at them infront of a light and I can just barely make out a pin point of light about three teeth back from the tip on the pliers. The rest of the bite is perfect.

Sorry you got a lemon.

-Wes.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 03:14:09 AM
Like I said, only one of my Wenger style pliers can't pull out hairs with the tip (but if I pinch the hair between the base of the pliers it will do the job).

But I've been trying other things with it as well and I found that it isn't such a big deal, since most things are a bit thicker as a hair...

And even if you can't pick it up with the tip, you could always use the base (on my "open tip" one at least), or even better, use the tweezers for hair pulling tasks  ;).

I'm not going to send mine in for this, I do have two S54's, and my user (not that I use it often, it gets carried in a sheath on rare occasions, mostly to take pics of it, or to fiddle with it) is the one with the "open tip", the one NIB in the collection is perfect.

I don't consider this to be a Lemon, I've seen a lot worse on other tools...

Just my 2 cents, as always  ;).

fi Offline Gath

Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 10:15:32 AM
Considering it is your user minor wear and tear possibly being the culprit can't be counted out then.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 03:32:45 PM
User as in, I have carried it a couple of times in a sheath during a hike in the woods ... (to take pics of it, since I always carry my real user Swisschamp along as well  :facepalm:).

The other one of my S54 EvoGrips does not leave its box, so that's why I called this one "a user"  ;).

I only have a handfull of real user tools, my trusty Swischamp, my Huntsman (first SAK I bought, which has seen the most use since I carry it dailly at work), a Vic Spirit (one out of the three regular butterblade versions I own  ::)), a Vic Swisstool (I have one exactly the same, NIB, and an older version with red paint on handle also NIB), a stainless Wave + (again, I have another NIB in the collection also), a BO Charge + (again, another one NIB), a Free P4 (again, spare NIB), a Supertool 300 (again ... double NIB), a Crunch (again ...)  a stainless Surge (of which I only own a BO version NIB, no extra stainless one weird enough  :think:), and two older Wengers (each of which I own three doubles NIB).

Except from the Stainless Surge I own doubles or triples of every tool I consider to be a user.

And a dozen of different models Waves, Charges, Spirits, Swisstools, OHT's, Gerber MP600's and so on, and more collectable stuff in different colours that never see any use at all ...

My name is Eric, and I'm a multitool addict ...  :-[

Just noticed that you can see the small "gap" on the pliertip in this next pic (on the left one, the right one is the one that never left its box after taking these pics at home in the garden)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 04:02:17 PM by Top-Gear-24 »

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #16 on: January 08, 2020, 03:58:20 PM
Double post  :facepalm:.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 04:05:26 PM

My name is Eric, and I'm a multitool addict ...  :-[

You‘re fine!  :D

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #18 on: January 08, 2020, 04:15:40 PM

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #19 on: January 08, 2020, 05:26:10 PM
 :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69