Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Style CS KEY mod!

gb Offline Benji

Style CS KEY mod!
on: January 28, 2020, 06:53:02 PM
Im sure this must have been done before but ever since I saw how small the Style was I wanted to add my key to it.

Pretty straight forward some shaping with a a few files, some paper and buffed to finsh. I should've taken more pics along the way :/

What i didnt think of ahead of time was id need to mill the recess for the cup washer, but it turned out well.  I'll use the knife on the PS when it comes which i also wanted to do it makes more sense to me this way to have both, one as a mini Multi and the other Scissors and (eventually) two keys. The second Key on this one will take some thinking about as im not sure how it will fit yet.

I'll post some better quality pics later when i'm out of the workshop. for my first Leatherman Mod im pretty happy.

Id like to colour the key or have it replated any ideas? 

Offline animusrien

Re: Style CS KEY mod!
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 07:11:00 PM
It would be easier to get a key that is in the style you want and then cut that one down. An aluminum key, brass, etc. A painted one.

If you paint it, it will eventually wear down and the paint will chip. If you coat it, you might go outside of the tolerances of the lock (depending on it's sensitivity, unlikely however).

They sell 'titanium' keys that are made of aluminum and come in different colors. This color won't fade.

Silva makes Ultralite keys that are done in a titanium alloy.

Looks like it might be difficult to find a colored key in that style. The easiest option is going brass.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 07:18:36 PM
Cool mod!

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

gb Offline Benji

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 08:45:31 PM
It would be easier to get a key that is in the style you want and then cut that one down. An aluminum key, brass, etc. A painted one.

If you paint it, it will eventually wear down and the paint will chip. If you coat it, you might go outside of the tolerances of the lock (depending on it's sensitivity, unlikely however).

They sell 'titanium' keys that are made of aluminum and come in different colors. This color won't fade.

Silva makes Ultralite keys that are done in a titanium alloy.

Looks like it might be difficult to find a colored key in that style. The easiest option is going brass.

Thanks for that suggestion, its good one! doing some searching hasnt come up with anything for this key type its a security key so maybe they donet exist in colours but i'll def keep looking thanks.

Failing that ive been looking into stripping the nickel and to expose the brass maybe

Offline animusrien

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 09:21:49 PM
It's called a dimple key. Do you remember what it said before you cut it?

Figure out what lock and key it is. Should be able to order a replacement.

After that, if it's brass, you could stonewash it like we do with knives and get it a nice color.

I electroplated a copper finish onto a stonewashed blade a few years ago. Works well on blades as you really only have friction on the edge. This key would get discolored and lose the plating pretty easy with the type of lock it is.

gb Offline Benji

Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 10:11:24 PM
Dimple Key! nice one thanks Ive been trying to hguess the blank type. Yeah i know the make and number as I used my spare just in case i messed it up at any point!
 Ive not been able to find blanks other than those from the manufacturer which are all plated. I'll search up Dimple key blanks and see if i have more joy.

Ive just been into nickel plating which doesnt seem that difficult, but maybe stripping  it back to brass would be a nicer look.

Offline animusrien

Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 10:55:06 PM
Best bet at this point is call a local locksmith and ask if they have or can get a brass key in the blank you need.

Offline Trebor Redins

Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 08:58:53 PM
Nice Mod! Just figured I'd share some of my experience here as I had done a similar key that I used until I changed over to a keyless bluetooth system (still use it when riding my bike, as I have my bicycle key on there). I found I got a fair bit more use out of the tool by adding a pair of scissors in. You can do this by filing off the tabs that typically hold the tweezers in on the black plastic piece. Don't worry, you can still have scissors but you'll need to trim the just a little. That way you've got the pliers as well as some scissors, tweezers and your key all in one small package. Also, it should still be TSA safe according to their rule on scissors, but here your mileage my very depending on the agent, so maybe not worth risking it.

My old tool for reference.:
https://imgur.com/gallery/iNqN5

Offline Trebor Redins

Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 09:01:40 PM
So, I'm an idiot, I forgot the Style CS comes with scissors, and not not pliers. So disregard the above unless you think you might want to swap out the scissors for pliers and then add scissors back in.

gb Offline Benji

Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 01:07:22 PM
Thanks Trebor, doesn't matter really that it's the Cs great to see some pics of what you did for reference.

I'm def going to take this a bit further I've a mortice key I'd like to add, just figuring out a way to machine it almost flat and it still function :)

gb Offline Benji

Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 02:11:55 PM
I added the blade back in, still not sure if its worth loosing both the file and the tweezers for , but figured Id use a knife more often.

Not the best nail mark in the world but not the worst i think, does the job anyway

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%