Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old Hickory Kephart impersonation mod.

Aloha · 56 · 3151

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Old Hickory Kephart impersonation mod.
Reply #30 on: April 16, 2020, 02:33:35 PM
:pok: pleeeeeeeese tutorial. 

No doubt I have to make one now!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:46:44 PM by comis »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: April 16, 2020, 02:58:35 PM
Looking back at what they carried in earlier times ( frontiersmen, trappers ) I see how the OH makes sense.  It is interesting over time how a thinner blade made its way back around.  Comis, in comparing those two blades, how does the blade thickness compare?

Overall they look to be close in length both blade and handle.  I recall seeing the heat treat was 55-57 on this 1095 blade.  Reading a little online it seems the knife I have is not quite the same heat treat  :dunno:.  I cant say for sure what the heat treat is on mine  but it seemed to be well done.  I took it to my 800 stone then 1000 then 3000 and it wasn't mushy.   

I never thought much about these knives.  I see them all over the flea market for usually a couple bucks.  When I picked mine up it was out of pure curiosity.  Heres the first one I got.  I still use it in the kitchen. 

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,58397.msg1064006.html#msg1064006

I then picked up the classic butchers knife.  I forget when I got it but I remember I had plans for it but I just left it in the drawer and forgot about it till that thread.  I did start to mod it by sanding the handle where it meets the blade but for some reason stopped.  I use this knife in the kitchen as well.  I never did much to it other than the edge.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,80565.msg1870521.html#_

I don't recall when I got the one I modded.  I got it to mod but like many projects it just sat.  I'm glad I finally did the mod since I don't have a outdoor knife quite as thin as this. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: April 16, 2020, 03:01:06 PM
I have to agree the OH is one of the best "open" secrets in the bushcraft community. 

I may play with a mustard patina today  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: April 16, 2020, 03:28:49 PM
Here ya go Poncho.  The balance point is just behind the pin nearest the blade.  Its "handle" heavy if you will.  I didn't remove much wood as I only wanted to light round not completely round off handle.  I'm sure if you wanted a totally balanced knife you could easily make minor adjustments to get it perfectly balanced. 

I removed about 1 1/2 inches from blade and some of the height to get the shape I have. 

IMG_0579.jpg
* IMG_0579.jpg (Filesize: 148.96 KB)
IMG_0580.jpg
* IMG_0580.jpg (Filesize: 303.97 KB)
IMG_0581.jpg
* IMG_0581.jpg (Filesize: 214.99 KB)
IMG_0582.jpg
* IMG_0582.jpg (Filesize: 197.02 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: April 16, 2020, 04:16:04 PM
Looking back at what they carried in earlier times ( frontiersmen, trappers ) I see how the OH makes sense.  It is interesting over time how a thinner blade made its way back around.  Comis, in comparing those two blades, how does the blade thickness compare?

Overall they look to be close in length both blade and handle.  I recall seeing the heat treat was 55-57 on this 1095 blade.  Reading a little online it seems the knife I have is not quite the same heat treat  :dunno:.  I cant say for sure what the heat treat is on mine  but it seemed to be well done.  I took it to my 800 stone then 1000 then 3000 and it wasn't mushy.   

I never thought much about these knives.  I see them all over the flea market for usually a couple bucks.  When I picked mine up it was out of pure curiosity.  Heres the first one I got.  I still use it in the kitchen. 

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,58397.msg1064006.html#msg1064006

I then picked up the classic butchers knife.  I forget when I got it but I remember I had plans for it but I just left it in the drawer and forgot about it till that thread.  I did start to mod it by sanding the handle where it meets the blade but for some reason stopped.  I use this knife in the kitchen as well.  I never did much to it other than the edge.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,80565.msg1870521.html#_

I don't recall when I got the one I modded.  I got it to mod but like many projects it just sat.  I'm glad I finally did the mod since I don't have a outdoor knife quite as thin as this. 

The Becker Kephart BK62 has blade thickness as 1/8", and the actual blade length is around 5.125". 

There are many features that I love about this knife, first and foremost is the perfect balance.  And the lightweight removable wood handle, good 4.5" handle size and tapered tang(which is rare to see in production knife) all contributed to that.  1095 Cro-van has been pretty proven for all the hard uses people imposed on Becker knives over the years.  Sharpening at 20 deg per side is perfect for sharpmaker touch up.  And the functional sheath which has a clever retention like the original Kephart.  Given the original Kephart is a double convex knife, I do believe when Becker said, it is probably as close as it gets as a production knife to the original.

Like you, I have no way to verify how hard is the heat treat of the BK62, but given it is made by KaBar, I have faith it should be pretty decent.  For light wood carving and feather stick making, I think the knife has proven to be plenty durable and I don't feel the need to sharpen it constantly.

Given many Mora knives at 2.5mm can survive fair amount of abuse, I have confidence the OH at around 2mm, but bigger in size, can handle similar kind of abuse with ease.  Also, I have no doubt this thin stock with wooden handle will greatly bring down the total weight of the knife, despite it's a 5.5" knife, and makes it easy to carry and use.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: April 16, 2020, 04:25:42 PM
My next objective is to keep an eye out for J Russell and Co Green River knives.  I wonder if I've passed any during my trips :dunno:.  It'll be fun to watch out for them.

What keep this hobby fun is learning.  I have learned so much in the last few months since looking at what frontiersmen and trappers used.  I've always been interested just never began the process of learning. 

One of the neatest things I've read regarding the OH and Green River knives is, Moras of the Old West, or something like that.  Those old trappers and frontiersmen here in the US used some interesting knives.  The Bowie gets a lot of the lime light but these old classics sure made their mark as well.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: April 16, 2020, 04:33:52 PM
I'll measure up the OH today Poncho.  That forced patina on comis knife is insane right?  HIs BK62 is stunning  :drool:

@comis, I saw some pretty good reviews of this new OH.  Its cool they listened and have seen what customers have done with their knives.  As folks steered towards thinner bushcraft knives the OH makes great sense.  For the price its not a bad deal for entry into bush crafting.  The knife is thin but not wimpy.  I love how sharp these knives get too.  The one I use in my kitchen is amazing.     

Thanks Aloha :hatsoff: I had a little money left on a gift card and I may or may not have a 7 inch model heading my way :whistle: :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: April 16, 2020, 04:38:49 PM
 :like:

Once back at the flea market I'll be sure to pick up OH knives as I see them.  I'll be sure to send one off to you so you can fool with it.  I've seen guy remove the handles and epoxy them back on reusing the pins.  Who knows what you'll come out with. 
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: April 16, 2020, 07:00:09 PM
My next objective is to keep an eye out for J Russell and Co Green River knives.  I wonder if I've passed any during my trips :dunno:.  It'll be fun to watch out for them.

What keep this hobby fun is learning.  I have learned so much in the last few months since looking at what frontiersmen and trappers used.  I've always been interested just never began the process of learning. 

One of the neatest things I've read regarding the OH and Green River knives is, Moras of the Old West, or something like that.  Those old trappers and frontiersmen here in the US used some interesting knives.  The Bowie gets a lot of the lime light but these old classics sure made their mark as well.   

I shared the same feeling about learning and it did peak my interest in more traditional patterns and history of cutlery worldwide.

I think what's interesting about the traditional trade knives, when compared to modern outdoor knives, is the fact that many of the users' livelihood were all dependent on their tools and those designs have been arrived after exhaustive testings over many years of real use.  I just can't imagine modern recreational outdoor excursion would require any harder use than those frontiersman/tradesman surviving the element back in the days, and if those knife designs work for them back then, I bet it will work just as well nowadays.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Old Hickory Kephart impersonation mod.
Reply #39 on: April 16, 2020, 08:09:34 PM
Great looking knife. I just ordered a kitchen set thanks to you. Not to mod, but I want to try my hand at making a knife block from a tree with nothing but hand tools. Quarantine is not good for the wallet.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: April 17, 2020, 06:21:53 AM
What a neat project.  I think it will be fun if not a great experience.  Great thing about cutlery is, it'll survive us so the next generation can use it.  The knife block will be something wonderful to pass down . 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: April 17, 2020, 02:42:31 PM
Ok so after  :drool: over the amazing look on your BK62 I had to try.  I don't love it as much as yours but eh.  My partner said it looked neat but then I showed her how your BK62 looked.  She says, "how come you didn't do that then?"

:facepalm: Because clearly comis has skill and I do not  :rofl:
IMG_0586.jpg
* IMG_0586.jpg (Filesize: 191.39 KB)
IMG_0587.jpg
* IMG_0587.jpg (Filesize: 115.62 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: April 17, 2020, 03:14:15 PM
Ok so after  :drool: over the amazing look on your BK62 I had to try.  I don't love it as much as yours but eh.  My partner said it looked neat but then I showed her how your BK62 looked.  She says, "how come you didn't do that then?"

:facepalm: Because clearly comis has skill and I do not  :rofl:.

Looks great to me :like: but she sounds a bit like my wife :whistle: :facepalm:

:rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: April 17, 2020, 03:28:34 PM
I had to laugh.  As if I saw how awesome comis knife is and decided to NOT try to make it like that  :think:.  I purposely tried to make it ugly  :rofl:.  Bless their hearts. 
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: April 17, 2020, 06:38:14 PM

:facepalm: Because clearly comis has skill and I do not  :rofl:

Looking at the colors, I think this got potential.  You are getting pretty close! :tu:   How long did you patina for? 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: April 17, 2020, 06:48:34 PM
Used plain yellow mustard 2 different applications both for 30 mins.  I used a q tip to apply in a random pattern.  I was going to dab on vinegar later and see if the coloration of that would show up.  I smeared a layer of beeswax after to coat the blade. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: April 17, 2020, 07:46:07 PM
Looks great to me :like: but she sounds a bit like my wife :whistle: :facepalm:

And my fiance

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: April 17, 2020, 07:58:28 PM

Bless her heart too.  As if we are not trying to achieve the best possible outcome  :rofl:.   
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: April 17, 2020, 08:09:24 PM
Used plain yellow mustard 2 different applications both for 30 mins.  I used a q tip to apply in a random pattern.  I was going to dab on vinegar later and see if the coloration of that would show up.  I smeared a layer of beeswax after to coat the blade. 

I guess everyone's mustard are different, I used french and usually have to wait for 2-4 hours for the colors to show up.  But I think yours is showing up a lot faster than I do, probably something to do with a higher concentration of vinegar in the mustard.  If I were you, I'd probably dilute it ever so slightly with water or do the same thing all over again with 15-20. 

My experience was the colors came from different density of mustard(watery vs peak) thru out the blade, the vinegar in watery/low density part will be more exposed to air and yield a deeper(blue to almost black) color, while the peak/high mustard density part will be 'sealed' by mustard and turn a more yellowish/rusty(essentially, it is rusting) color.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: April 17, 2020, 08:20:31 PM
I have straight plain vinegar on now.  I'm gonna watch it then use diluted yellow mustard.  I use some no name stuff. 
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: April 18, 2020, 07:07:42 AM
I have straight plain vinegar on now.  I'm gonna watch it then use diluted yellow mustard.  I use some no name stuff. 

The cool thing about patina is, if you are not happy with it, use Flitz or similar metal polish to remove it, and you could easily start over.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: April 18, 2020, 04:30:37 PM
Starting over  :rofl:.  The "rain" drops all got a little too mingled for my taste.  I'll polish out and retry.  Its fun to try to creat patterns.
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Spey

Reply #52 on: April 19, 2020, 06:01:40 PM
Couple Butchers from a few years ago, along with a BK-62 from last year.
BK-62 & Butchers.jpg
* BK-62 & Butchers.jpg (Filesize: 93.95 KB)
No Honey, that's always been in the safe ...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: April 19, 2020, 07:18:43 PM
Thanks for posting.   :drool:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: April 25, 2020, 12:21:56 PM
I did end up getting one of these for fairly reasonable price :cheers: I am not sure I want to cut on it just yet though :whistle: I had wanted one of these for years and may use it in the kitchen for a while and see how it goes :D If I can't get on with it as is or end up not using it much then I may take it to the grinder >:D :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: April 25, 2020, 02:49:29 PM
I use one in the kitchen and its a great knife.  They take a great edge with not a lot of work. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD