Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are Watch Wearing Humans Superior?

Chako · 16 · 1162

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: Are Watch Wearing Humans Superior?
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 07:42:52 PM
Obviously  :rofl:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 10:40:42 PM
I wear a watch, so yes. :angel:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 07:20:02 PM
 :iagree:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Online pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 02:35:37 PM
 :D

Was there ever any doubt?

I love choosing and wearing a watch every day.

"And what does your watch do" It indicates the time
"Is that all"  Yes, it is a watch :D

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 12:48:24 AM
For the sake of convenience, uh, yes.

I hate yanking my phone out of my pocket/holster just t check the time. I prefer analog watches with high contrast, easily visible Arabic numerals. Preferably glow-in-the-dark numerals.  If digital, it's got stop watch/timer (and sometimes other stuff) functions.  I've been fancying a chronograph;/diver's watch--but those are stupid much. I've seen cars on my list for that much....

Durability. Today's smart watches are barely better than the phones themselves. I've seen a lot of smashed screens and busted devices.  I have an Armitron, Timex, and Victorinox. The Armitron (digital) has been exposed to chemicals (including bug spray, which washed away some of the printing on the body) and has been on my wrist when I fell off a horse, and the Timex--I lost count. Worst it's gotten is the crystal has a spot that I can't recall what caused it.

Battery Life. All but cheap POS watches will typically last about five years (if not more). Smart Watches--stand by is a couple of weeks at best; in use, hours.  Mechanical watches never need batteries.....

Cost: Decent smart watches are $150-200; and most are way more than that. If you screw them up, you're SOL. Decent watches. Most clothing stores and department stores will have a ton of good options at $50 or less. Cheap Casios are $10-15; my old Armitron was $15; and my Timex $35.   At $150-200 for watches, and if I had that to spare, I'd be going with Citizen.

I am soon getting a G-Shock. Always wanted one, might as well get one.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 07:35:29 AM
You will be happy with whichever G-Shock you get.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 09:49:44 AM
I carry a pocket watch specifically because I don't want to wear a watch. On the other hand I'm an artist so that explains everything.  :rofl:
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 10:33:33 AM
If by superior you mean "more on time"... then yes, possibly.
Of course the lower Extraversion (less social) and Openness (less adventurous), could lead to a different conclusion. >:D

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 10:45:46 AM
For the sake of convenience, uh, yes.

I hate yanking my phone out of my pocket/holster just t check the time. I prefer analog watches with high contrast, easily visible Arabic numerals. Preferably glow-in-the-dark numerals.  If digital, it's got stop watch/timer (and sometimes other stuff) functions.  I've been fancying a chronograph;/diver's watch--but those are stupid much. I've seen cars on my list for that much....

Durability. Today's smart watches are barely better than the phones themselves. I've seen a lot of smashed screens and busted devices.  I have an Armitron, Timex, and Victorinox. The Armitron (digital) has been exposed to chemicals (including bug spray, which washed away some of the printing on the body) and has been on my wrist when I fell off a horse, and the Timex--I lost count. Worst it's gotten is the crystal has a spot that I can't recall what caused it.

Battery Life. All but cheap POS watches will typically last about five years (if not more). Smart Watches--stand by is a couple of weeks at best; in use, hours.  Mechanical watches never need batteries.....

Cost: Decent smart watches are $150-200; and most are way more than that. If you screw them up, you're SOL. Decent watches. Most clothing stores and department stores will have a ton of good options at $50 or less. Cheap Casios are $10-15; my old Armitron was $15; and my Timex $35.   At $150-200 for watches, and if I had that to spare, I'd be going with Citizen.

I am soon getting a G-Shock. Always wanted one, might as well get one.
Just get a smarsmurfch with a bevel (e.g. from Samsung). And yes, they are more fragile and need more maintenance (though not more than my pocket watch that needs to be wound up daily). That said, they also add a lot of other features (notifications/fitness tracker). It makes no sense to wear a smarsmurfch if you don't care for those, but is a great addition for people who are medium to light smartphone users (no point for a smart-watch if you have the phone in your hand all the time).

I think this is one of the weaknesses of this study is that they do not differentiate between watches as watches can be so many things: jewelry, status symbol, time-keeper, fitness-tracker, notification center.

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 11:15:11 AM
It may sound suspicious and not everyone may accept it, but the answer is SURE
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 11:19:19 AM
Just get a smarsmurfch with a bevel (e.g. from Samsung). And yes, they are more fragile and need more maintenance (though not more than my pocket watch that needs to be wound up daily). That said, they also add a lot of other features (notifications/fitness tracker). It makes no sense to wear a smarsmurfch if you don't care for those, but is a great addition for people who are medium to light smartphone users (no point for a smart-watch if you have the phone in your hand all the time).

I think this is one of the weaknesses of this study is that they do not differentiate between watches as watches can be so many things: jewelry, status symbol, time-keeper, fitness-tracker, notification center.
I stopped wearing watches until Apple Watch series 2 has been issued to me at work. Been wearing Apple Watches since. It’s a really neat sturdy and useful device.
Though recently I bought a different traditional watch without all the fancy stuff - it’s for those days when I just need to take a pause and leave some time for myself.

Smart watches are great for getting things done on time and if you do any distance/calories depending activities, but sometimes I just need to rest from all this notifications
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 03:08:59 PM
I stopped wearing watches until Apple Watch series 2 has been issued to me at work. Been wearing Apple Watches since. It’s a really neat sturdy and useful device.
Though recently I bought a different traditional watch without all the fancy stuff - it’s for those days when I just need to take a pause and leave some time for myself.

Smart watches are great for getting things done on time and if you do any distance/calories depending activities, but sometimes I just need to rest from all this notifications
I totally agree...
Apple watch is hard to beat when it comes to smarsmurfches (though it is on the pricey side).

I like taking calls on my watch... makes me feel like a '90s spy :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 04:40:15 PM
I've always worn a watch for as long as I can remember.  Its weird for me to not have one on my wrist.  I love solar atomic as the battery gets a nice charge and I have one thats ten years young.  The GShock I wear most is a G7700 which has stood the test of daily work and play.  Not sure why I've gravitated to this one.  I've given many of my Gshocks away over the years.  When I hear someone who has had issues with their watch I give them a Gshock.  I now only have 3 down from about 20+.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline getahl

Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 05:43:46 PM
I totally agree...
Apple watch is hard to beat when it comes to smarsmurfches (though it is on the pricey side).

I like taking calls on my watch... makes me feel like a '90s spy :D

My FIL got his first smart watch, an Apple Watch, 2 or 3 months ago, for all of the reasons listed above. He's the 'hasn't worn a watch in years' variety, but he loves only taking the watch and a housekey when going on a bike ride. I call it his Dick Tracey watch.

I haven't gotten around to a smart watch. I keep telling myself, one day. I normally wear one of those Bulova moon watches with the metal band, which I love, but is heavy, or a cheap Casio when I want something lighter, or I'm out of doors. I'll probably spring for a new phone and maybe an apple watch when I current Galaxy S7 finally dies. Three and a half years, still going strong.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: July 29, 2020, 07:42:08 PM
I wear a watch, so yes. :angel:

+1

Even if I'm the exception that confirms the rule...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD