Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My first SAK mod

Offline ComboTool

My first SAK mod
on: June 01, 2020, 01:25:57 PM
Apologies for the no-so-original title, but at least it is accurate  :D. I had postponed this for a while, afraid of the whole peening process, but I finally took the step (it was every bit as painful as I imagined and I had to discard a lot of bent brass rod).
I bought a lot of beater SAKs and went to work. Disassembly was easier than I thought, and I didn't damage a single bushing (although I manage to lose one later  :facepalm:). I took a total of 4 knives apart, 3 would have been enough but I wanted to practice. Here's the result, essentially a climber with an added Phillips (in a 2-opener layer configuration) and with the small blade replaced by a nail file. It is far from perfect: the bottle opener sits too low when closed (there's no rest for it on the can-opener side of the spring). Also the nail file doesn't snap open or shut most likely because I didn't drill perfectly straight when I enlarged the hole (at first I thought that I had overpeened so I took everything apart, that's when I lost a bushing). And there are two awls, because two opener springs...
This was mostly for practice, but I like the result OK so I ordered some plus scales for it and it should get some pocket time when they arrive.
IMG_6378.JPG
* IMG_6378.JPG (Filesize: 207.44 KB)
IMG_6379.JPG
* IMG_6379.JPG (Filesize: 196.26 KB)
IMG_6380.JPG
* IMG_6380.JPG (Filesize: 144.79 KB)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: My first SAK mod
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 05:27:43 PM
Looks pretty good for a first mod! Well done!

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline jph_777

Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 10:08:14 PM
Nice first mod, ComboTool!  You chose a rather difficult one to start with...  I wish you luck as you continue! :cheers:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 01:18:33 PM
Nice first mod, ComboTool!  You chose a rather difficult one to start with...  I wish you luck as you continue! :cheers:

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 02:00:33 PM
Nice mod :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 06:34:46 PM
They don't like it up 'em!

Offline ComboTool

Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 02:21:39 PM
I've now reworked the mod a bit, for what is (I guess) its final version. I've thinned the Phillips in the areas marked in red, so that it rests on only one of the springs, making it easier to open (the tension on the other opener spring is kept by the small blade spacer next to the Phillips). The second awl has been dulled and ground to a small flathead with a new nail nick on the other side (not exactly Vic-shiny  :-[ but the tools I started with weren't that new anyway). I've enlarged the nail file hole, so action is much snappier. And finally I've also made small notches in the liners for better access to the nail nicks on the file and the small flathead/former awl.
IMG_6384.JPG
* IMG_6384.JPG (Filesize: 107.95 KB)
IMG_6386.JPG
* IMG_6386.JPG (Filesize: 57.52 KB)
IMG_6415.JPG
* IMG_6415.JPG (Filesize: 95.57 KB)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 02:27:29 PM by ComboTool »

Offline ComboTool

Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 02:26:47 PM
I'm now very satisfied with this mod, the only remaining problem is that the bottle-opener sits too low when closed, but solving this is beyond my abilities. For the time being I have to open the scissors a little in order to access the bottle opener. I can live with that, and I guess it's an incentive to drink less...
However, as much as I like the idea of the double-opener layer, the thickness gains over a regular Explorer are minimal. Oh well, that was good practice anyway  :facepalm:.
IMG_6414.JPG
* IMG_6414.JPG (Filesize: 73.51 KB)
IMG_6417.JPG
* IMG_6417.JPG (Filesize: 91.58 KB)
IMG_6416.JPG
* IMG_6416.JPG (Filesize: 95.98 KB)

Offline ComboTool

Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 04:49:31 PM
Technology to the rescue!
Just when I thought that there was no way for me to fix the low resting position of the bottle opener (custom springs are way beyond what I can make and I couldn't imagine a way to securely attach a rest just for the bottle opener), it occurred to me that the can opener is shallower than the bottle opener. So I could make a rest that spans the witdth of the two layers without interfering with the can opener closure :facepalm: I went searching for the right part, and the best fit I could find was... a hard disk jumper! It seems to stay put even with both openers opened, I'll see how long this lasts... And even if it gets lost, I've got a lot of spares.
So I guess this is the only SAK really deserving the name Cyber-tool  :D.
IMG_6419.JPG
* IMG_6419.JPG (Filesize: 57.25 KB)
IMG_6420.JPG
* IMG_6420.JPG (Filesize: 96.38 KB)

fr Offline hulk.

Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 11:57:54 AM
nice mod  :hatsoff: thanks for sharing

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!