Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Would I be "ruining" a good SAK?

Offline RenHoek

Would I be "ruining" a good SAK?
on: January 07, 2009, 03:18:22 AM
I'm narrowing down my definition of "the perfect EDC SAK" - in addition to the standard blades, combo tool, etc, it'd have scissors, saw, and the Explorer-style phillips, and not be too overly thick (eg - Swiss Champ) so I can carry it in the little knife pocket of my Levis...

So, I'm thinking of either buying a Swiss Champ, and removing some layers (fishscaler & file), but I don't think that would be thin enough...Alternately, taking my recently acquired older model Explorer apart and adding a saw layer from an old Camper. I got both of these in a lot of "airport" knives. They both have the grooved corkscrew, and the Explorer is a "Hoffritz" model, engraved with "F.C.S." on the larger blade.

Would I be ruining a good SAK with this 2nd plan?
Or....maybe the Huntsman Lite is for me, but I'm afraid that it's too thick, too....maybe I should just buy one of those and see...can always use another SAK, right?!?!?!?

Pix of the Hoffritz Explorer:

Thx-
RenHoek

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Would I be "ruining" a good SAK?
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 12:52:28 PM
To be honest either plan sounds fine.  Your Explorer isn't in perfect condition so I don't see it as sacred.  Buying the Swisschamp might be slightly easier as you will then have nice new pins you can re-use and everything will be in perfect condition.  It will however cost a lot more than just getting in some brass rods.  Do you have a Combo tool to use?

Here's a link to make you drool if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=246&Itemid=35
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 02:38:22 AM
Do it, do it.

Get some pin stock from http://rotokid.sosakonline.com and get in there! Maybe order some nice new scales while you're at it!

The feeling of satisfaction you'll get when you've finished is kind of hard to describe, but, it's good :tu:

You can use the blade without the engraving too if you wanted. I warn you though, this modding is quite addictive......
I used to come here a lot.

Offline RenHoek

Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 04:51:35 AM
Yea...I've been browsing the interwebs (here and SOSAK mostly) trying to get ideas about what I'm really wanting in an ECD SAK. A yeoman (or Yo-man!) is right up there, of course. I'm not hesitant at all about breaking stuff apart, then putting them back together, so I'll end up doing it soon I'm sure. In the ebay lot purchase, I got several decent donor knives, so I really just need to get some decent scales, and bar stock, and then go to town.

-RenHoek

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 10:07:04 PM
That's the spirit :tu:
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline revolvergeek

Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 06:46:09 PM
The Abrasive Yo-Man is my favorite combination of parts so far. I use this one constantly. Only thing that I don't use on it regularly is the woodsaw, but it takes up so little space that it is nice to have for the odd chore. I think that a Champion and a Waiter gave up the ghost to make this one.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 07:01:26 PM
That has a great tool combo in it.
I'm back!!

Offline RenHoek

Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 08:28:54 PM
I agree! That is a GREAT combo. I agree with you on the saw, but I hadn't thought about keeping the Champs file (until now...)

So is the knife paired with the bottle opener on the same layer? Oh...I see what you did - the "caplifter" from the waiter must be offset the other direction (from the standard caplifter/canopener combo pair), so it doesn't interfere with the knife blade.

I don't have any donors w/the file (or a waiter, either)....looks like I need to do some more scrounging.  :ahhh

I also like the stayglow scales. That's what I had in mind for my mod, too - I just bought a camo huntsman, even though I think the usefulness of the camo scales are counter-productive - If I drop it in the tall grass/woods, I want to be able to find it....

-RenHoek

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 11:15:07 PM
If you don't have a combo tool like the one in the pics above then you are best getting one from a Compact.  I have just experimented with using a Waiters Combo tool and it isn't perfect.  You need to drill out the pivot hole so as it takes the larger 2.5mm pin and it sits lower than it should.  This pic should show what I mean.

The top SAK is a proper 91mm combo, the bottom is a 84mm combo on a 91mm knife.  It works but isn't perfect.  The 'snap' and feel however is fine.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline RenHoek

Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 12:06:43 AM
Thanks for the tip! Yea...I've been shopping for Compacts, and they're more $$ than a "lowly" Waiter....can't seem to find a cheap used one yet. Gunna throw the cat doctor a line....

Keep any expert tips coming!
-RenHoek

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69