Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knifeless, pliers based

Offline Questman42

• New User
Knifeless, pliers based
on: August 05, 2020, 01:16:16 AM
Hello friends,
I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I'm thinking about shifting from carrying a well-loved charge alx to a knifeless, full sized, pliers centric multitool, and a large folder. As I get older and do more Bushcraft and woodwork stuff, I find myself needing more belly on the blade. I prefer a tool that I can use standard 1/4 bits with an adapter since the more heavy duty stuff has been bending and breaking my proprietary Leatherman bits lately. Do y'all have any opinions on getting a knifeless rebar vs digging up a SOG powerlock traveler? Are there any other full sized knifeless options I should consider? Thanks y'all.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Re: Knifeless, pliers based
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 02:25:59 AM
You're going to carry a large dedicated folder, so it's not a matter of a blade being prohibited.  Why not continue carrying the Charge and simply adding the folder?
- Steve

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 02:50:00 AM
Not knifeless but the Gerber Center Drive would fit the bill about being a 1/4 inch driver but it does have a blade :think:

Knifeless Rebar doesn't really add a lot except scissors without losing much weight either when losing the blades :facepalm: the bit adapter is a really great add though :like:

Most plier centric MTs usually if not always include a knife so options are rather limited in this aspect ???

Also welcome to :MTO:  :cheers:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 07:11:59 AM
Most plier centric MTs usually if not always include a knife so options are rather limited in this aspect ???

Also welcome to :MTO:  :cheers:

If you want tough then look at Schrade ST5 (or the Craftsman 45471 re-label).  It has a full size 1/4" drive, and tough laminated pliers.  Also a couple of blades, but as others have pointed out, there are not many full size MTs without at least one blade.  These are no longer made, but to appear on that well-known auction site from time to time.

https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=ST5E+Tough+Tool
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 12:30:44 PM
I'd be tempted to just carry a pair of dedicated pliers with your knife.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 12:51:46 PM
I'd be tempted to just carry a pair of dedicated pliers with your knife.

That is surely an option and we do have members that do this as well :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 12:52:23 PM
If you want tough then look at Schrade ST5 (or the Craftsman 45471 re-label).  It has a full size 1/4" drive, and tough laminated pliers.  Also a couple of blades, but as others have pointed out, there are not many full size MTs without at least one blade.  These are no longer made, but to appear on that well-known auction site from time to time.

https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=ST5E+Tough+Tool

I had forgot about that one :ahhh Good idea, greg :tu: :cheers:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 06:33:33 PM
Hello Questman, and welcome! There's also the Gerber MP600 Bladeless; one-handed pliers with three flat drivers, one Phillips driver, double and single cut file, can opener, bottle opener and, jigsaw blade holder. But, it uses the older "universal" type of blades which, depending of where you live, can be harder to find, and also comes with replaceable wire cutters that are good for soft and stranded wire, and occasionally coat hanger wire but not for any hard stuff. You can use a Gerber Tool Kit, Leatherman Removable Bit Driver or any adapter for a 1/8" square shanked tool on the Phillips. It is a very robust and easy to care tool, and not hard on the wallet; but it is no Charge. Good luck.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%