Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Big SAK research mission, wish me luck (HEEEELLP!!!)

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Ok,

I just bought an auction for 12, 4 layer SAKS...with one purpose in mind...finding a way to convert either the bottleopener/flathead or the can opener/philips into a "combo" tool to replace the small knife. The reason is quite simple: The Victorinox Company are smurfholes for not selling compact variations for all their tools. Not only that, they purposefully don't make the bantam in 91mm just to make it harder to mod. So f them, I'm going to make it work so that more people can get custom Vics with one fewer layers, for a lot less.

and I'm going to make a whole bunch of detailed videos to make sure everyone knows how to do it...No excuses Victorinox!  :rant: :rant: :rant:

If anyone has ANY information to shorten my process please please share them.

Cheers.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: A Big SAK research mission, wish me luck (HEEEELLP!!!)
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 11:54:43 PM
Main problem is that the bottle and can openers are thicker than the combo tool and small blade. :think:
So you would have to make them thinner first.

Also, they have a right-hand bend, whilst the combo tool and small blade are straight. But if you can thin them down, this bend is no problem.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 01:23:58 AM
Ok,

I just bought an auction for 12, 4 layer SAKS...with one purpose in mind...finding a way to convert either the bottleopener/flathead or the can opener/philips into a "combo" tool to replace the small knife. The reason is quite simple: The Victorinox Company are smurfholes for not selling compact variations for all their tools. Not only that, they purposefully don't make the bantam in 91mm just to make it harder to mod. So f them, I'm going to make it work so that more people can get custom Vics with one fewer layers, for a lot less.

and I'm going to make a whole bunch of detailed videos to make sure everyone knows how to do it...No excuses Victorinox!  :rant: :rant: :rant:

If anyone has ANY information to shorten my process please please share them.

Cheers.

I don't think throwing off the modders has anything to do with their reasoning. 
I also don't think that offering "compact variations of all their tools" has been a burning desire among the masses.  Most people prefer the small blade and the opener layer.  https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55789.0.html

They already have about 27 of the 91mm... 21 of the 111mm....  9 of the 93mm ..... 20 of the 58mm.  a dizzying number of options.  They know, like most businesses, of the Paradox of Choice.  wherein, if they have too many options (nearly 50 of the 91mm options??) and that if the choices are too similar, and there are too many of them.... that the impulse to buy is gone because the brain is pulled in too many directions, and that the consumer will go for option C -- Leatherman.

Mod away... but you'll void the lifetime warranty.  I'm happy with my Compact when I go out for dinner.... and my Pioneer X for just about everything else....
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 02:07:57 AM by ElevenBlade »

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 01:42:37 AM
Main problem is that the bottle and can openers are thicker than the combo tool and small blade. :think:
So you would have to make them thinner first.

Also, they have a right-hand bend, whilst the combo tool and small blade are straight. But if you can thin them down, this bend is no problem.

From observing them, I think I can solve both..the thickness by modding the spacer, the angle will depend a lot on how it looks once I put it together..I'm guessing this wont be easy or someone would have already done it.

And if they were not trying to stear people to those without the combo tool why then is the compact more expensive than a good number of their 4 layer knives? makes absolutely no sense.

huntsman: $38
Fieldmaster: $38
Compact: $45 and out of stock (surprise)

And just to play devil's advocate I looked up the tooling time for the normal can opener...It costs way MORE to produce the can opener component alone than it does to make the combo tool and that doesn't account for extra spacers...back spring, the flat head...or the extra tool on the back. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 01:49:42 AM by Maxlvledc »

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 12:29:51 PM
Ok, I'll pitch in with a couple of modding ideas for the cap lifter. I saw on a YT video that someone had an older model SAK that had the cable stripper blade on the inside curve of the cap lifter. You can also grind a 90⁰ V notch into the wire stripper notch to make a proper wire stripper. See Felix Immler workshop series video for that one.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 12:56:58 PM
All the time and effort you're about to sink into this (and the cost of the donors) soon adds up... You (and anyone else who wants a version of the  SAK with a combo tool) would be better off buying a Compact to pull apart.  You'll get a better product cheaper and more quickly at the end of it.

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 09:15:18 PM
All the time and effort you're about to sink into this (and the cost of the donors) soon adds up... You (and anyone else who wants a version of the  SAK with a combo tool) would be better off buying a Compact to pull apart.  You'll get a better product cheaper and more quickly at the end of it.

its not about time, and after I put the time in I am going to save everyone else hours of the R&D if you will. a compact adds at least $35 to every single mod. If I can pull this off I can make reasonably priced compact version for people who have wanted them, but cant afford the 120+ price tag.

Ok, I'll pitch in with a couple of modding ideas for the cap lifter. I saw on a YT video that someone had an older model SAK that had the cable stripper blade on the inside curve of the cap lifter. You can also grind a 90⁰ V notch into the wire stripper notch to make a proper wire stripper. See Felix Immler workshop series video for that one.

all your help will be greatly appriciated I will probably be documenting the process on youtube as well.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 04:08:27 AM
Picnicker with cable stripper Der Eidgenosse

Wire stripper notch from Felix Immler

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 10:57:00 PM
Picnicker with cable stripper Der Eidgenosse

Wire stripper notch from Felix Immler

this is all awesome stuff! If I can get the same to work I may definitely be adding them. I'm really hoping it will be the flat head I can modify into a hybrid, the Can opener will be much harder.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 12:49:07 AM

I tried the cable stripper on a knife but haven't really gotten it to work as well as I would have liked. It might very well be that I'm bad at sharpening (especially considering that it's a narrow inside edge) but I have been thinking that it might be due up the difference in heat treating between the tools. What do I know, if anyone has gotten it to work well I'm interested to hear it (so that I can perhaps improve my work).

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 12:39:03 AM
I guess an update is in order. I was able to make it happen using the can opener..There is too much involved in trying to make the bottle opener work. I was surprised I got it to work on the first shot.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 01:04:29 PM
:worthless:

:pok: :pok:

:popcorn:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 02:05:47 PM
:iagree: :ahhh

All hail the hook!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 07:54:46 PM
 :iagree:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 07:54:55 PM

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #15 on: August 26, 2020, 11:36:04 PM
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 26, 2020, 11:53:05 PM

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 27, 2020, 08:41:05 AM

:pok:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #18 on: August 27, 2020, 12:20:35 PM

:pok: :pok: :pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 02, 2020, 03:18:13 AM
Big update..first of all I was able to replace the small blade with the can opener without the need for grinding. It required the addition of 3spacer washers .4mm thick. Also I was able to fully assemble the tool without brass pins or drilling out the pivot holes on the tools. M2.5 screws were used and a finishing nail with the exact diameter 2.2mm for the back tools. I'll do a full video walkthrough of this in the near future. This was far easier than expected.

:link removed

For the next tool, I need to know if it's possible to add an awl instead of the hook as the back layer of the scissor. Not sure there is enough retention to make it work to keep the scissors closed in the stored position
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 01:51:26 PM by SteveC »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: September 02, 2020, 01:22:21 PM
:like:
That's very cool!

All hail the hook!

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 09:45:34 PM
:worthless:

:pok: :pok:

:popcorn:

simply put I had all that..but because they were links to IG it was removed..I'm done jumping through hoops and having to upload my content to multiple platforms (many of which have loose laws on how that content can be used btw). Sorry guys but I'm only going to have the content on IG. When I perfect the process I'll make a full youtube video. I'm not even sure if I can link it, it may be removed as well.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%