Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tinder for Your Sak for a camp fire 384

Full Member Posts: 238 The SAK Also Rises
Tinder for Your Sak for a camp fire
« on: September 22, 2020, 11:38:56 PM »
 I carry a few slivers of a Ping Pong ball under one of the tools to help start other organic matter found along the trail for a camp fire. Burns fast, but the flame helps ignite the small stuff.

He had decided none of it was true, except what he carried with him everyday.-—SgtTowser
Hero Member Posts: 917
Tinder for Your Sak for a camp fire
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 11:46:24 PM »
I buy Light My Fire fatwood sticks and nicely create shawings with either SAK or LM saw. Lights up pretty easily with firesteel. Frankly speaking I don’t even remember starting a fire with something else during the last 5 years or so.

Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.
Re: Tinder for Your Sak for a camp fire
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 06:46:32 AM »
Alexanderre

I like your way, but I like to have a little tinder stored inside my SAK for situations where I get separated from my gear and have to work with what I have on me. I seem always to have my SAK. Are u able to carry your shavings under a  blade of your SAK? That’s what I do with the ping pong ball slivers.

He had decided none of it was true, except what he carried with him everyday.-—SgtTowser
Hero Member Posts: 917
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 07:18:10 AM »
Alexanderre

I like your way, but I like to have a little tinder stored inside my SAK for situations where I get separated from my gear and have to work with what I have on me. I seem always to have my SAK. Are u able to carry your shavings under a  blade of your SAK? That’s what I do with the ping pong ball slivers.
Oh wow, now I’m starting to get the idea got pics?

Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.
No Life Club Posts: 1,959
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 03:45:50 PM »
I make lanyards out of Paratinder and a ferro rod toggle. It gives me a complete fire starting kit on my SAK
https://www.survivalfrog.com/products/paratinder-survival-products-fire-tinder?variant=27566799681

Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?
No Life Club Posts: 1,959
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 04:06:00 PM »
We did a thread on this topic at BCUSA on this  very subject you may find interesting.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/corkscrew-fire-starter.214460/

Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?
Hero Member Posts: 722 Queen's Venturer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 07:28:47 PM »
Cotton balls impregnated with petroleum jelly (i.e. Vaseline) are excellent for lighting fires, and it's really easy to cram pieces of those anywhere you want.
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 10:31:51 PM »
Gene stoner

:like:

But it’s a lot of stuff to get tangled up with my keys. Guess it will have to ride in the other pocket.

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 10:33:51 PM »
Jothra

I have tried the cotton ball with PJ but it’s messy. Still, it works. And it might work to keep my ping pong ball shards in place.

No Life Club Posts: 1,693
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 10:43:45 PM »
I like Vaselined cotton in a small ziplock. Easily stuffed under an in-line Phillips if you have one.

And also the new Helix Tinder from Tortoise Gear. Particularly the gray ‘wind proof’ version. Good for up to 8 starts in the smaller size if you’re really conserving it (=12 for the larger size) ...and either just use dead space in any SAK with a corkscrew.

The tinder is great IMO, regardless of what you may think about the small FireAnt or Firefly ferro rods.
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 11:01:57 PM »
Kamakiri

THAT is the solution!

I’m buying very soon!

No Life Club Posts: 1,693
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 11:44:39 PM »
Kamakiri

THAT is the solution!

I’m buying very soon!

They’re still sending out the initial orders from the Kickstarter release. So they might not be able to fill an order ASAP.

PM me your snail mail addy and I can forward you a teaser sample, if you’d like.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
October Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: $250.46
PayPal Fees: $14.22
Net Balance: $236.24
Below Goal: $63.76
Site Currency: USD
79%