Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knot in October GAW 8315

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,148

Nix us

Knot in October GAW
« on: September 25, 2020, 11:37:06 PM »

Another one of Nix’s tangled giveaways…..the rules may seem a bit loopy, but I’m hoping we’ll get quite a few people to take a bight at this. The goal, of course, is to learn new knots and practice old ones without getting twisted.

As usual for me, there are rules:

The Rules:

1. The Giveaway (GAW) runs from 01 October through 31 October 2020.

2. Nix is the referee, his uncannily wise decisions are final. Unless, in his wisdom, he changes his mind. Or someone convinces him that he is…once again…wrong. But he still gets the final say. (Well, actually Mrs Nix gets the final say, but in this thread Nix gets to pretend to have the final say….mostly.)

3. To enter the GAW, a participant must post an entry that provides detailed instructions on how to tie a specific knot and what said knot is used for. A photo of the knot is mandatory: you must prove you tied said knot. Photos or sketches to illustrate the tying of the knot is highly recommended. The referee (Nix) will determine if an entry is acceptable. Oh, a name for the knot will be helpful.

4. Only knots that have some use will qualify as a legitimate entry. How to tie a Bow Tie is amusing, but not useful.

5. Let us know how the knot is used!  And if you have used the knot for some specific job, tell us the story! The referee (Nix) will determine if a knot is useful…or knot. So to speak.

6. Once a specific knot has been used as an entry, it can not be entered again. For example, if Nix enters a “Square Knot”, no one else can enter the square knot.  Every entry has to be a knot unique to the thread. The same knot by another name will not be considered a valid entry. For example, if Nix entered the “Square Knot”, a “Reef Knot” does not qualify as a new or unique knot for the thread. (They are the same knot.)

7. Participants in this mad GAW may make up to five (5) entries. However!   :to:   However, only one new entry may be made during any of each of five (5) time periods. Entries cannot be made retroactively. Entries cannot be made proactively. Once a time period has passed, no new entries can be made for that time period.

The time periods are:

Oct 1-7
Oct 8 -14
Oct 15 - 21
Oct 22 - 28
Oct 29 - 31

8.  Because Nix loves to rattle on and to tie knots, too, he may enter one new knot during each time period. While Nix is not eligible to win the Prize, the knot that Nix posts will be considered to be an entry and that knot is no longer eligible for use. (Mrs Nix: "That's just mean...)

9. If we run out of knots before the end of the GAW…..that would be impressive!

10. After the close of the GAW, 31 October 2020 2359 Nix time, one entry will be selected at random, from the list of successful entries, to determine the winner of the Prize. The winner will choose to receive one prize: either a BRK Bravo 1 or a BRK Vidarr. Yes,....yes..... :facepalm:....the winner chooses the prize he or she wants. It may be a hard choice….a bit of a Gordian knot…

Post GAW edit - 2nd November:
List of all the knots that entered the GAW with links to knot details - List compiled by ReamerPunch

Alpine Butterfly by Aloha
Arbor, aka Canadian Jam knot by ReamerPunch
Bill Mason Knot, aka Les Stroud Hitch by ReamerPunch
Blake's Hitch by Nix
Bow Tie knot  (Invalid entry) by Nix
Bowline by Vitor
Bowline on a Bight by enki_ck
Break-away Loop by RF52
Clove Hitch by Sea Monster
Cow Hitch (aka Lark's head) by ReamerPunch
Double Bowline, Yosemite finish by Huntsman
Double Constrictor by Sos24
Double Davy by Aloha
Double Fisherman’s knot (Grapevine, Double Grinner) by enki_ck
Double Sheet Bend by Sea Monster
Espalier Knot by Nix
Eye Splice by Sea Monster
Farrimond Friction Hitch by Don Pablo
Fig. 8 on a bight, aka Flemish Loop by enki_ck
Friendship Knot by ReamerPunch
Halyard Hitch by Sos24
Handcuff knot by Vitor
Hangman’s Knot by Mechanickal (“Turtle Bait”)
Harness, aka Artilleryman’s Loop by Sea Monster
Icicle Hitch by Aloha
Improved Clinch by Alan K
Jug, aka Bottle Knot by Nix
Marlinspike Hitch by Sos24
Midshipman’s Hitch by Sos24
Mooring Hitch by Vitor
Munter Hitch by Huntsman (“Lefty”)
Nail Knot by Alan K.
Overhand knot (Bend), aka EDK by Huntsman
Palomar Knot by SteveC
Perfection Loop by Alan K
Pfrsantos Lanyard by Pfrsantos
Prusik Knot by ReamerPunch
Quick Release Wrap by Sos24
Pile Hitch by Vitor
Reef knot, aka Square Knot by Nix
Reversed Hitches, Pair of half hitches by RF52
Round turn and two half hitches by Huntsman
San Diego Jam Knot by Aloha
Shoe Clerk’s Knot by RF52
Stevedore Knot by RF52
Strangle Knot by enki_ck
Surgeon’s Knot by Alan K.
Trucker’s Hitch by Vitor
Uni knot by Alan K.
Water Knot by enki_ck
Yosemite Bowline by Nix
Zeppelin Bend by Aloha
End edit

Naked:

In their sheaths:

(Uhhhh…yes…I’ll include the fire steel…why knot?)

A word about these knives:

The Bravo 1 is the version without the thumb ramp. It is a truly impressive knife: great micarta handle (even in my big hands), 4.25” blade length…pretty much perfect in my mind, convex edge on some BRK A-2 steel. This is one rugged knife, reportedly designed for military use. I have no doubt that it will survive the apocalypse. But…will you?

The Vidarr was designed any Dan Tope, a Danish (?) knife maker. It is supposed to be a cross between a Bowie and a Leuku. Maybe. To me it feels more like a Persian crossed with a heavy Chef’s knife. It is meant to be a ‘Forest Warrior’, but I think of it more as the ultimate camp knife. It will split wood, slice bacon, cut rope, or fashion a peg. It is very robust.

My only criticism of the Vidar is that the handle is a wee tiny bit small for this large American with XL hands. And that is a slight criticism—in actual use the handle is fine.

Which leads me to add: both knives have been carried (a bit at least) and used. They are in very good condition, with nothing more than cosmetic scratches and staining. Caveat emptor.

And may the best knot win!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 01:49:42 AM by Huntsman »

Illegitimi non carborundum

Nix us

Re: Knot in October GAW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 11:38:01 PM »
— Sample entry (counts for Nix’s Time Period 1 entry) —

“Square Knot”, aka “Reef Knot”

To tie this knot, the two ends of a line or cord or bandage are crossed “left over right, then right over left.” (Or visa versa.)

Left over right:

Right over left:

Snugged up and finished off:

This is a type of binding knot and is best used for tying up a parcel or tying off a bandage. My favorite use for this knot is in reefing a sail. While it is one of the first knots people learn, it is actually a pretty crap knot in many ways; however, when tied with a draw loop (a slippery bight) it is useful for reefing a sail. As long as it is under strain or loaded, it does OK.

snugged and sailor-like:

I used the Reef knot to reef a mainsail in a nasty storm once. The shortened sail helped to maintain way and to stabilize the boat, while reducing the chance of a gust carrying off the mast or capsizing the boat. Which is nice.

The Square knot is NOT a bending knot. Do NOT use this knot to join two lines: it is a somewhat weak knot and it can slip easily unless further secured with hitches or weaving. (I used two lines just to make it easier to see how it is tied — don’t do this!)

In the photo sequence above, a proper Square knot was tied, but it got bent over, then slipped out. I hope this photo series demonstrates why the Square knot is NOT a reliable bending knot (i.e. for joining two lines together)….it mostly sucks.

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,221
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 11:59:58 PM »
A question of clarification, in the step by step description of tying do the drawing/sketches/photos have to be done by you or can you pull pictures from another source as long as you prove you have tied and used the knot?
Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,225 Born to multitask.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 12:17:29 AM »
Oh, my... I'll definitely give this a go. :like:

Nix us

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 12:37:25 AM »
A question of clarification, in the step by step description of tying do the drawing/sketches/photos have to be done by you or can you pull pictures from another source as long as you prove you have tied and used the knot?

An excellent question....and one that I have pondered.  :think:

As long as you can show (1) how the knot is tied, and (2) that you as a participant have actually tied said knot, I think it will qualify. As you mention, an explanation of how the knot is useful is also required. There is no requirement for a participant to have actually used the knot in anger, but it must be clear to the referee (Nix) that the knot is actually useful.  :)

E.g. "The Square knot is reported to be useful for tying off a bandage or in making an improvised touniquet. I've never had to improvise a tourniquet, but this seems like a good thing to know for emergency use."   :tu:

Nix us

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 12:37:43 AM »
Oh, my... I'll definitely give this a go. :like:

You better!  :tu:

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 12:48:42 AM »
6. Once a specific knot has been used as an entry, it can not be entered again. For example, if Nix enters a “Square Knot”, no one else can enter the square knot.  Every entry has to be a knot unique to the thread. The same knot by another name will not be considered a valid entry. For example, if Nix entered the “Square Knot”, a “Reef Knot” does not qualify as a new or unique knot for the thread. (They are the same knot.)

:-\
This will complicate things. I hope no one uses my favorite knots.

Nix us

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 12:57:00 AM »
:-\
This will complicate things. I hope no one uses my favorite knots.

Thanks for noticing that.....

Nix us

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 12:58:06 AM »
And, yes, the "Square knot" has now been entered by that cheating no-good Nix!  >:D

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,325 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 01:14:55 AM »
Uuuu, I like this one a lot. :tu: I love tying and learning new knots. I use to carry a small piece of paracord just to practice.

Just two questions...

1) do variations of a knot count as separate knots. For instance a figure 8, double figure 8 aka bunny ears and triple figure 8 should probably count as separate knots although they are tied similarly, right?

2) do we get extra points for knot cosmetics? :) Like tying it nicely without overlaps and such.
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 01:19:10 AM »
Knot puns are knot optional. :pok:

The good thing is that there are enough knots for every member to have five entries. Knot that it would matter, since knot many people tie knots.

Nix us

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 01:25:33 AM »
 :rofl:

(Oh, you are on a roll....  :like: )

Nix us

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 01:38:18 AM »
Uuuu, I like this one a lot. :tu: I love tying and learning new knots. I use to carry a small piece of paracord just to practice.

Just two questions...

1) do variations of a knot count as separate knots. For instance a figure 8, double figure 8 aka bunny ears and triple figure 8 should probably count as separate knots although they are tied similarly, right?

2) do we get extra points for knot cosmetics? :) Like tying it nicely without overlaps and such.

Thanks!

More great questions... :tu:

1)  Uhhhh.... I'm knot sure. (I have actually thought about this, and it seems to me that there is a certain degree of subjectivity here.)  Some variations do, I believe, constitute a separate and 'unique' knot. In my "Square knot" example, the "Reef knot"....with a slippery bight...does NOT constitute a new knot; it is essentially the same as the non-slippery "Square" or "Reef" knot.

I hate to be vague here, but there is room for variation and improvement. A stopper knot is not that same as a fixed loop knot or a bending knot, even if some of the techniques used to make the knot are similiar. Again, I hate to be vague, and some of this will be subjective (Thank goodness the awl-wise Nix is our referee!  :woohoo: ).  You can ask the referee (Nix) a question, if there is a question, in the thread. Awl answers to be made publicly.

2) No!  A good working knot is inherently pretty (in Nix's opinion   :mn: ). If your knot works and is useful and is a knot worth knowing.....cosmetics be damned! Nix isn't pretty and ain't neither is his knots!!!  :D

Great questions. I can awlready see that you are a formidable contestant!   :tu:

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,221
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2020, 04:02:26 AM »
I’ll throw out another.  Does an series of knots, like a handle wrap, count as a knot?

Nix us

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2020, 04:31:26 AM »
 :like:

You are testing the limits of my 'expertise'.....  :rofl:

I, a very well established, amateur, knot enthusiast and semi-professional knot contest referee, will say a knot that can be used to create a useful wrap is a "unique knot" and would qualify as an entry in this GAW.

Simply wrapping a string around a bottle or stick will NOT be considered a "unique knot"; however, the knot that secures said wrapping might well be. For instance, I use a particular knot to secure a hank of cordage or webbing. The hank itself is just a wad of cord, but the knot that holds that mess together has a name and a method of tying that can be identified and repeated.

:dunno:

Here's the dreadful secret about being a semi-professional knot contest referee: you are never right, and always wrong in the eyes of someone. I guess that just adds some tension to the game and gives the crowd something to complain about.   :rofl:

:cheers:

Thread Killer 2019 No Life Club Posts: 3,978
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 06:21:38 AM »

Nix us

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 03:22:13 PM »
 :rofl:

Global Moderator Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 49,192
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2020, 03:27:53 PM »
The Palomar knot

Great fishing knot for braided Musky Line which can slip using a regular fishing knot

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 03:32:55 PM by SteveC »

Nix us

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 03:31:08 PM »

Nix us

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 03:35:33 PM »
The Palomar knot

Great fishing knot for braided Musky Line which can slip using a regular fishing knot

The Palomar is an excellent knot! I've used it myself many times.   :tu:

:ahhh  HOWEVER, Time Period One (1) has not yet started. The rules state that an entry can only be made during an official time period and cannot be made proactively. (see Rule #7)

This entry will NOT count. 

*** booo....boooo....booo ***

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2020, 03:36:58 PM »
Knot complete

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2020, 03:39:19 PM »
practice run  :D

Nix us

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2020, 03:46:40 PM »

The judges clearly liked the entry.  :-\

It is left to us poor, hard-working, Knot contest referees to be the heavies.....  :-[

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,651
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2020, 04:11:19 PM »

.. Words, lots and lots of words...

4. Only knots that have some use will qualify as a legitimate entry. How to tie a Bow Tie is amusing, but not useful.

... Words, lots and lots of words...

Is, if you've got a bloody dicky bow to do up!... Some of us (me) receive the odd tribute or award you know...

Nix us

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2020, 04:15:40 PM »
In no way did I mean to denigrate your achievements......that I'm sure you'll be recognized for one day.....

But using an elastic, clip-on, bow tie from M&S is not really anything to do with knot tying....  :dunno:

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2020, 04:26:24 PM »
 Nice one Steve. Good practice run. My uncle was a weekend fisherman up in Michigan and taught me several fishing knots including the Palomar although I couldn't remember the names.  I didn't even think of a fishing knot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEvComVoRrI
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2020, 04:28:45 PM »
Oh yeah, Nix, how to tie a tie should count, and bowties are cool.

Nix us

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2020, 04:30:21 PM »
Is, if you've got a bloody dicky bow to do up!... Some of us (me) receive the odd tribute or award you know...

I do hope you trouble yourself to coordinate your "dicky bow" and SAK....

Nix us

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2020, 04:31:59 PM »

Oh, and there's the Bow Tie knot taken off the table.....  >:D

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,651
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2020, 04:34:04 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Oh, and there's the Bow Tie knot taken off the table.....  >:D