Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ideas and Plans for 30 Day Challenges in 2021

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
on: September 26, 2020, 04:03:25 PM
I wanted to start a thread to discuss and plan for 30 Day Challenges of all sorts for 2021.  This can be a place for brainstorming and intitial planning.  Once a challenge starts to take shape, a separate thread  can be created for it.

This way, the threads themselves can stay clutter free.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 04:15:52 PM by ElevenBlade »

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: Ideas and Plans for 30 Day Challenges in 2021
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 04:15:02 PM
SAK got Your Six Challenge for 6/2021

Choose any two tools for the whole Challenge, but one has to be a SAK.  Since you get to pick two, you can't change your choices during the Challenge.  One has to be a SAK, but the other can be anything... Dedicated folder to a traditional to a full size MT.  Even a fixed blade.  The rules of engagement - post one picture each day of whichever tool you used, and tell us why you used that one in particular.   There's no pressure to use the SAK, so whatever made you choose one tool over the other is fair game.  It can be as simple as speed of opening to sharpness of the blade to a particular implement.  The thought is, even though the SAK isn't always the go-to, it's always got your back.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 04:50:38 PM by ElevenBlade »

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 04:28:29 PM
The Circle of Keyring Tools Challenge.
Any and all keychain sized tools of any brands are welcome.  Classic, Executive, Dime, Micra, Squirt, Splice, MiniChamp, and many more are fair game. I'd even say the OPT like the Shard are fair game too. The only caveat is that no backup multitool is allowed.  If pliers or a screwdriver is needed, that has to come out of the toolbox. (Carrying dedicated pliers is permitted). This Challenge will test how much multitool you really need.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 04:36:22 PM
The Big SAK Challenge
Any 111mm SAK... Or maybe any ≥ 108mm SAK for 30 days.  Everybody knows the rules.  This challenge would be best in the hiking and camping season.

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 02:07:50 PM
Kitchen/cooking challenge. Food prep to can opening to camping, using the hook on a SAK to lift a pot off the fire etc
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:13:25 PM by Echotech »

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 02:27:32 PM
A Spork Challenge - meals for 30 using only a Spork. If a knife is needed, it can only be what you happen to have for EDC

MacGyver  Challenge - use only a paper clip, duct tape, and a SAK that appeared in the original TV series

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 02:30:06 PM
Good idea on getting the ball rolling on some challenges  :tu: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 02:32:19 PM
I was thinking of doing another Supertool Challenge one month next year :think: :cheers: We have had this challenge a few times but with several new members it is always good to do these every so often  :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 05:42:51 PM
I was thinking of doing another Supertool Challenge one month next year :think: :cheers: We have had this challenge a few times but with several new members it is always good to do these every so often  :tu:

That is a Super idea   :D   

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 06:47:00 PM
As an Angus-fan I’m all for MacGyver challenge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by this axe I rule

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 07:23:39 PM
I would like to suggest the Batman Challenge: This January, you become the Night  :salute:

The premise is quite simple, for 30 days in January you need to have at least 3 things on your belt and rely on belt and pocket carried tools as much as possible. You don't need to stick to the same load out for the entire challenge, but your load out should be posted each day if you have changed it up at all. If you need to use something off person then just say what it was and why your inner Batman failed you.

Some examples of things you can do:

-SAK/MT in a pouch
-Flashlight in a pouch
-Fixie on belt
-Keys clipped to belt (even if they dangle into your pocket)
-A Firearm if you are permitted and so inclined
-Skinths  :ahhh

Remember, Batman wouldn't consider duplicates redundant, so why not carry a SAK and Leatherman next to each other?  :dunno:

So, would we have any takers?  :pok:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 07:26:42 PM
I would like to suggest the Batman Challenge: This January, you become the Night  :salute:

The premise is quite simple, for 30 days in January you need to have at least 3 things on your belt and rely on belt and pocket carried tools as much as possible. You don't need to stick to the same load out for the entire challenge, but your load out should be posted each day if you have changed it up at all. If you need to use something off person then just say what it was and why your inner Batman failed you.

Some examples of things you can do:

-SAK/MT in a pouch
-Flashlight in a pouch
-Fixie on belt
-Keys clipped to belt (even if they dangle into your pocket)
-A Firearm if you are permitted and so inclined
-Skinths  :ahhh

Remember, Batman wouldn't consider duplicates redundant, so why not carry a SAK and Leatherman next to each other?  :dunno:

So, would we have any takers?  :pok:
I have SO much work related belt kit (past and present)  :ahhh I'd give this a go  :tu:
They don't like it up 'em!

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 07:42:21 PM
I have SO much work related belt kit (past and present)  :ahhh I'd give this a go  :tu:

Now that is soemthing I want to see, here's hoping more follow us  :cheers:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: October 11, 2020, 08:09:05 PM
Now that is soemthing I want to see, here's hoping more follow us  :cheers:
:cheers: :drink: :cheers: :drink:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 04:06:21 PM

I put a placeholder for June

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 04:18:10 PM
Hey, all.

I am wondering will anyone be interested in a "Daredevil" or "Swashbuckler" Challenge--where participants can all choose a least favorite knife/MT/non-pliers based tool from the arsenal, and carry that tool solely for a month?

Let's face it, it is always easy to carry your usual EDC or favorite tool for a monthly challenge, literally it is a stroll in the park. 

But somewhere in our arsenals, there is this one piece of gear we always wanted to love but the chemistry just wasn't there.  How about putting that gear in use for a month and maybe we will see things differently?

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 06:13:49 PM
Hey, all.

I am wondering will anyone be interested in a "Daredevil" or "Swashbuckler" Challenge--where participants can all choose a least favorite knife/MT/non-pliers based tool from the arsenal, and carry that tool solely for a month?

Let's face it, it is always easy to carry your usual EDC or favorite tool for a monthly challenge, literally it is a stroll in the park. 

But somewhere in our arsenals, there is this one piece of gear we always wanted to love but the chemistry just wasn't there.  How about putting that gear in use for a month and maybe we will see things differently?
I can see the merit in this  :think: I have tried to bond with my OHT for years but just can't  :dunno:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 07:24:40 PM
I agree. Having to carry something you don't like for a month? Now that would be a challenge.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #18 on: October 12, 2020, 07:31:53 PM
Working out a folding hunter challenge, possibly for May, to be the counter point to the Fools of April challenge.  This will involve any folding hunter except a Buck 110, as long as it is a direct competitor to the buck 110 such as the Schrade LB-7 or others of similar size and design.  Maybe May is too close to the Fools of April challenge and people who want to do both won't want to carry a big folding hunter for 2 months in a row.  Still working this out. 

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: October 12, 2020, 08:42:50 PM
Working out a folding hunter challenge, possibly for May, to be the counter point to the Fools of April challenge.  This will involve any folding hunter except a Buck 110, as long as it is a direct competitor to the buck 110 such as the Schrade LB-7 or others of similar size and design.  Maybe May is too close to the Fools of April challenge and people who want to do both won't want to carry a big folding hunter for 2 months in a row.  Still working this out.
I think this would be one for those not living in the UK (mostly  :dunno: )

I could not find "reasonable excuse" to carry something like that on a regular basis  :think:

If I was an outdoor God like GF  :rofl: I might be able to take part but, I'd have to duck out of this one  :(

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 09:16:18 PM
I think this would be one for those not living in the UK (mostly  :dunno: )

I could not find "reasonable excuse" to carry something like that on a regular basis  :think:

If I was an outdoor God like GF  :rofl: I might be able to take part but, I'd have to duck out of this one  :(

I've tackled many a wild walk in the garden and down maintained paths thank you very much, completely justified in carrying 9+ knives and a torch powerful to start fires  :rofl:

I couldn't participate anyway though, my only hunter style folder is a 110, I'm not sure if that's a challenge this armchair survivalist is prepared to take on  :dunno: :rofl:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 09:25:36 PM
I've tackled many a wild walk in the garden and down maintained paths thank you very much, completely justified in carrying 9+ knives and a torch powerful to start fires  :rofl:

I couldn't participate anyway though, my only hunter style folder is a 110, I'm not sure if that's a challenge this armchair survivalist is prepared to take on  :dunno: :rofl:

I'm rapidly moving next to you in the lounge in front of the fireplace. 

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #22 on: October 12, 2020, 09:44:48 PM
I'm rapidly moving next to you in the lounge in front of the fireplace.
Pull up a foot stool and bring on the single malt  :tu:

However, I did once encounter a rather nasty slope whilst en-route to Waitrose  :ahhh (non UK types may need to Google the retailer and it's clientele)

Naturally, I complained to the local authority oiks and had it flattened (along with those that shop at Aldi/Lidl)  :twak:

Nobody comes between me & my eggs Benedict, with artisan English muffins (hand tufted by Nepalese moutain fairies) Innit... :whistle:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #23 on: October 12, 2020, 10:15:00 PM
Hey, all.

This would definitely be a challenge and I’m not sure I could do.

This has me with an idea of a possible challenge, but would need lead time and some thought - “Misfits Tools Challenge”.

Before the challenge participants donate a tool that for some reason or another they just don’t like or use.  The “misfits” are then mailed to another challenge participant who was randomly chosen.  The recipient then uses that tool in the challenge to see if they bond with it.

If this Challenge worked out, then it might become a recurring challenge where tools that aren’t liked/wanted by one member can get passed on to other members to see if they get new life.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: October 12, 2020, 10:21:47 PM
Pull up a foot stool and bring on the single malt  :tu:

However, I did once encounter a rather nasty slope whilst en-route to Waitrose  :ahhh (non UK types may need to Google the retailer and it's clientele)

Naturally, I complained to the local authority oiks and had it flattened (along with those that shop at Aldi/Lidl)  :twak:

Nobody comes between me & my eggs Benedict, with artisan English muffins (hand tufted by Nepalese moutain fairies) Innit... :whistle:

:cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: October 13, 2020, 03:50:58 AM

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: October 13, 2020, 06:23:02 AM
I can see the merit in this  :think: I have tried to bond with my OHT for years but just can't  :dunno:
I too have a few tools I never bonded with, LM Signal comes to mind.  What interesting in this challenge is--each of us may come with our prejudice or preference for tool, but collectively, maybe we could encourage each other to find the beauty within our own tools. :cheers:

I agree. Having to carry something you don't like for a month? Now that would be a challenge.
I think I will go ahead and make a sign up for the Daredevil soon, and I am already thinking about a new magnet for this.  >:D :D

This would definitely be a challenge and I’m not sure I could do.

This has me with an idea of a possible challenge, but would need lead time and some thought - “Misfits Tools Challenge”.

Before the challenge participants donate a tool that for some reason or another they just don’t like or use.  The “misfits” are then mailed to another challenge participant who was randomly chosen.  The recipient then uses that tool in the challenge to see if they bond with it.

If this Challenge worked out, then it might become a recurring challenge where tools that aren’t liked/wanted by one member can get passed on to other members to see if they get new life.

I think the daredevil and misfit are two different challenges, and in some way, daredevil is almost like a prequel to misfit.  :D

us Offline Sos24

Reply #27 on: October 13, 2020, 07:16:41 AM
I too have a few tools I never bonded with, LM Signal comes to mind.  What interesting in this challenge is--each of us may come with our prejudice or preference for tool, but collectively, maybe we could encourage each other to find the beauty within our own tools. :cheers:
I think I will go ahead and make a sign up for the Daredevil soon, and I am already thinking about a new magnet for this.  >:D :D

I think the daredevil and misfit are two different challenges, and in some way, daredevil is almost like a prequel to misfit.  :D
Agree.  It was just the daredevil made me think of the misfilt.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #28 on: October 13, 2020, 10:38:25 AM
Hey, all.

I've always hated the Leatherman Charge. How it looks so nice, how sharp the blades are, how great tolerances it has. It even has that damn diamond file which is too good.  ::)

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 14, 2020, 11:25:30 PM
How about a Combo Edge Challenge -  Any blade or any MT (Skeletool, Signal, Trekker, Cold Steel), as long as it has a Combo edge.  How bad can that be?

How about February 1st to March 2nd (a combo of months)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 01:23:42 AM by ElevenBlade »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD