Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Opinions on the Dime

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Opinions on the Dime
on: October 02, 2020, 04:09:09 PM
I noticed Tractor Supply has the Dime as a part of their Christmas blade selection this year for $20. This is typically a tool that doesn't interest me, but for once, seeing it in person is beginning to change my opinion. I have two reasons I want it--one I recently lost the small titanium-handled AG Russell penknife off my keys (the tiny jewellery-type hasp it used as a keyring attachment broke), and I like small tools like this for around the house stuff. So, my question is--is it worth picking up? How does it compare to the LM Squirt? I had a Clutch years ago, and wasn't that impressed.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Opinions on the Dime
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 06:11:25 PM
There was a thread a while back, when it came out and we all went out and bought it.

I and various others had many issues with it. Pliers, construction, springs etc.
Mine is basically useless. Searching for dime should bring a few threads up.

The squirt is a better tool, unless you need a really good bottle opener, like the one on the dime.

The dime is cheaper. The squirt is way better constructed.

I have no idea if they have improved QA/QC as I would not bother buying another one to see that.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 06:29:16 PM
Sad to say I would not buy it for half that price.  The LM Squirt IMO dominates this segment of small plier MTs. 

AImlesswanderer seemed to like his well enough IIRC.
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 06:32:16 PM
I like it well enough but prefer my Squirt.  Others feel differently though.  I think it's lighter duty than the Squirt and if you use it with that in mind you might like it.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 11:36:57 PM
I did not like mine at all. File and scissors were useless, blade has a weird shape, pliers were too small for anything.

The only thing that did work as intended was the package opener. The rest was useless to me.  :dunno:

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 12:11:27 AM
I'd rather have a quarter or a half dollar.   :whistle:  :rofl:

But really.... I find them okay, but I like Squirts and Micras better.

"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 03:00:18 PM
I like it well enough but prefer my Squirt.  Others feel differently though.  I think it's lighter duty than the Squirt and if you use it with that in mind you might like it.

Lighter duty but heavier, bigger, longer, useless file, good bottle opener but as it protrudes out of the tool it can get in the way...

Not a fan

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 03:53:01 PM
I picked up a bladeless Dime Travel for airline travel. (Remember when people travelled by airplane?)

The quality is not great; however, it does give me a few functional tools.

The pliers are small but really pretty good. The scissors are...functional....within limits. The drivers....more useful as prying tools, but the flat head is good. The file can smooth a damaged fingernail. Which is nice.

So....worth $20.... :think:   Maybe.  Worth carrying on an air flight. Yeah, better than nuthin'.  ;)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 04:25:10 PM
The dime looks good in a collection. I suppose it is better than having nothing on you. With that said, the Dime would not be my choice for EDC because of all the good advice mentioned above.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 08:18:56 AM
I've been with my red Dime for time enough to say that is a good tool despite some limitations.
The pliers are more like super twezers. Light duty, but can pull thinner hair if needed.
No complains about the blade. I even like the profile. The point let me make precise cuts when needed
Even the 2d philips saved the day a couple of times.
Scissors are far from perfect, but enough.
The package opener is great, as like the bottle opener.
I even bought a traveller version for my 8yo son.

I can't compare with the squirt because I don't have one. (The "E" version atract my eyes)

The dime helped me to free my new MP600

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

au Offline Echotech

Opinions on the Dime
Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 09:33:17 AM
I quite like mine but agree with many of the limitations mentioned above.

Pliers are pretty weak, squirts are much better. Blade is quite good for something so small, package opener pretty good and have found useful, drivers ok for small jobs but wouldn’t want to put much torque on them, file pretty worthless as too short but would fix a rough finger nail, bottle opener imho the best on a mini MT, it also has ok tweezers which are so well hidden I had no idea for years until I read a review.

I’d describe it as a bottle opener with a few tools attached :pok:
May not sound it but I rather like it just have to accept it’s limitations
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 09:53:27 AM by Echotech »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 03:52:59 PM
Love how a tool like the Dime can bring about some good observation from both sides fo the coin.  Did any of the feed back sway you in either direction Cody? 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 07:19:04 PM
...from both sides of the coin....
<snerk, snerk>.  :rofl:
 :tu:
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 09:54:22 PM
I saw them there, also, and was wondering the same thing.  My go-to has always been a Micra.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2020, 10:13:04 PM
I saw them there, also, and was wondering the same thing.  My go-to has always been a Micra.

I use a Micra as well.  I'm wondering about the Gerber Splice in comparison

Offline Gasman

Reply #17 on: October 05, 2020, 12:31:42 AM
New here and new to mulitools in general and I've only been carrying the dime for a month on my van keys

The split ring you attach your keys to is feeble and bent already doubt it'll last another month.

The blade is sharp and has been useful for small tasks, I like the package opener and the bottle opener is great.

The Phillips head was poor and I've no real need for scissors which is just as well as you could ride bare arsed to town on them.

The pliers too small for me and I slipped off the task and pinched my finger between the handles the first two times I attempted to use them.

Its been handy and probably worth the money, but if anything it's brought me here for something better suited.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: October 05, 2020, 12:36:11 AM
Nice review, Gasman!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 05, 2020, 12:36:56 AM
New here and new to mulitools in general and I've only been carrying the dime for a month on my van keys

The split ring you attach your keys to is feeble and bent already doubt it'll last another month.

The blade is sharp and has been useful for small tasks, I like the package opener and the bottle opener is great.

The Phillips head was poor and I've no real need for scissors which is just as well as you could ride bare arsed to town on them.

The pliers too small for me and I slipped off the task and pinched my finger between the handles the first two times I attempted to use them.

Its been handy and probably worth the money, but if anything it's brought me here for something better suited.

You're going to fit in quite well around here, I reckon.    :cheers:

Offline Gasman

Reply #20 on: October 05, 2020, 01:17:41 AM
 :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #21 on: October 05, 2020, 02:04:21 AM
Welcome to Mto, Gasman!  :cheers:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #22 on: October 05, 2020, 06:16:28 AM
I have a Dime hanging around my desk.

I agree with most of the comments above  :cheers:

The bottle and package opener are great - The BO probably the best on any multitool - The blade is OK - I don't mind the scissors
I had an issue with the pliers - They spread apart / twisted  when I tried to cut something - I wish I could remember what it was - Not something very challenging IIRC
My PS4 cut it OK.

However for some reason I like it!!

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #23 on: October 07, 2020, 03:40:39 PM
I’ve carried one of my two Dimes now almost daily for two years and here’s what I’ve found;
1. The knife cuts well and stays sharp, despite its strange configuration (which I like)
2. The pliers work for light stuff - think big tweezers. I’ve repaired many an office chair with them.
3. The scissors are great for light work like snipping price tags, trimming paper, removing the odd nose hair, etc.
4. The screwdrivers are better than nothing, but just barely. The “Phillips” head will tighten glasses screws.
5. The package opener...well, works I guess. I use the knife blade.
6. The couple of bottles I’ve opened with the bottle opener prove the concept.
7. The entire tool, just like any tool this size, is a monument to compromise; want a bigger tool? Carry one. Need better tools? Grab your tool kit. I find the Dime worth the weight and space. YMMV.
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: October 07, 2020, 04:21:08 PM
 :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cody6268

Reply #25 on: October 07, 2020, 08:18:34 PM
Thanks guys. I will be picking one up soon; but I'm going to wait and see if they have a sale. Sometimes, they mark the stuff down a week or two before Christmas, otherwise, it's about a week after New Year's.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #26 on: October 07, 2020, 08:29:55 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 07, 2020, 09:18:49 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

no?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: October 07, 2020, 10:00:04 PM
 :think: so dont wait for the sale? Or don't get the dime?

:popcorn:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 08, 2020, 01:30:52 AM
I'd look around for a good price for the Squirt PS4.  A clear case of getting what you pay for.
- Steve

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD