Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Have single CR123 sized flashlights gone the way of the Dodo?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
I haven't been paying much attention to what goes on in the world od flashlights in the last several years as I was happy with the selection I had. But last night I started thinking how much I liked my Lumintop Tool in the AAA format and should probably get one in AA. That lead to the thought process of... Hm, why not an RCR123 powdered one in a smaller format?

Cause they are extinct, that's why! :rant:

What the blip happened? Just a few years back tgey were all the rage on all the forums, everybody was making them, 47s, olight, fenix, zebralight, ... You name it. Now all of them are discontinued. No longer in stock.

What did I miss?

I know about the jetbeam, but that's a tad to big and pricey for what I'd like, no flashy UI, just a small, light, short, single cr123 flashlight with a clicky. But it looks like they are no more :cry:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Have single CR123 sized flashlights gone the way of the Dodo?
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 12:25:01 PM
what are you talking about -last time I checked the Dodos were still alive !
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 04:15:11 PM
Here in Cali there are dodo's ( slang translation ) still alive and well  :whistle:

I have a Olight S1R that pretty good.  It has their proprietary RCR123A cell.  Other than that I haven't been keeping up as I once was. 

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 10:58:11 PM
I suspect with manufacturers wanting to produce brighter and brighter lights, there's no place for a single CR123A light.

Just an endless stream of 18650 and 21700 powered lights.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 07:04:31 PM
I think that this is mostly a perception issue, Olight, Fenix, Thrunite etc. are still churning out Cr123 lights, they are all starting to resemble the S1 Baton however (maybe that's a limit of the for factor?  :dunno:).

They're now switching over to a new battery chemistry that allows these little lights to churn out 1000 lumens. :ahhh

I like these lights, but for EDC on person I either carry a AAA light or if I need something more a AA form factor (inc. a Lumintop Tool AA using a 14500) because they're slimmer in the pocket. My go to headlight is an Olight H1 Nova, fantastic little light.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 07:18:53 PM
Lumintop Tool AA using a 14500
:iagree:
Just yesterday I added a 14500 into my Lumintop Tool 2.0 and  :woohoo:.   This is a great combo for not a lot of money.  I really liked it on Eneloop AA but with the 14500 its a new light. 
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 09:31:41 PM
:iagree:
Just yesterday I added a 14500 into my Lumintop Tool 2.0 and  :woohoo:.   This is a great combo for not a lot of money.  I really liked it on Eneloop AA but with the 14500 its a new light.

It's an amazing amount of light from such a small package! Lumintop has shot to the top of my value list tbh, the included accessories are great, build quality is great and prices are through the floor.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 10:06:36 PM
I may have to pick up another AA since I've got a heck of lot of NiMh AAs.  I agree Lumentop is a good spend.  I've got the older SS Worm that has been flawless in operation. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Have single CR123 sized flashlights gone the way of the Dodo?
Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 10:46:37 PM
While I do have a bunch of AA and AAA sized lights and love them dearly I also really still prefer the single 123 lights for in pocket use most of the time as a Keychain light.
The 123 lights have more runtime and brightness usually and are shorter too so that the entire light can often be smaller than even the smallest AA light offered.

I like the Olights just OK but prefer the 4/7 Twisty versions of those even better as EVERY button operated light except Zebra turns on on my pocket when I dont want it to!
Fenix and Jetbeam and almost every other maker still makes these lights as well and because the voltage difference between a 123 Primary Battery and Rechargeable Lithium is so small most of the 123 size lights can use either one unlike many AAA lights that need a wider range driver to offer the same compatibility.

I wouldn't count the DoDo out just yet!

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 11:35:11 PM
If you find the lights turning on in your pocket then just do a physical lock out, the tiniest turn of the tail cap will stop it turning on (and I mean tiniest, it's crazy how little breaks the connection), then since it's so little of a turn I find it pretty easy to fix it with the heel of my hand and pinky before hitting the button. Software lock out is always an option too, I just find that annoying personally.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 11:41:01 PM
If you find the lights turning on in your pocket then just do a physical lock out, the tiniest turn of the tail cap will stop it turning on (and I mean tiniest, it's crazy how little breaks the connection), then since it's so little of a turn I find it pretty easy to fix it with the heel of my hand and pinky before hitting the button. Software lock out is always an option too, I just find that annoying personally.
I wish it was that simple but trust me I have tried everything and do the Olights that way but they are still not as handy as a Twisty to me.
The Twisty are the deal for me and can he programmed some too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD