Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Mod Wood Saw/Metal File/Opening Layer

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

Victorinox Mod Wood Saw/Metal File/Opening Layer
on: October 10, 2020, 06:02:52 PM
I’m considering a three layer mod:

1. Wood saw and micro screwdriver back tool
2. Metal file and chisel back tool
3. Main blade, Combo tool and Phillips back tool

I’m new to modding so I am after a bit of advice. Is it okay to have the wood saw adjacent to a complete scale liner? Is there sufficient clearance provided by the shapes in the scale liner, or is the risk of rubbing too high? Is the saw normally sandwiched  between cut cut down liners for that very reason?

Maybe a dumb question, but I won’t find out unless I ask. I don’t want to go down this route if it is a non-starter.

Thanks for any advice.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Victorinox Mod Wood Saw/Metal File/Opening Layer
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 04:43:57 PM
Hi, SAKTaschenmesser.

That's a good question, I haven't done this mod, so I can't say I can be 100% sure about this.

But will you be making this mod from reducing layers from a Ranger?  I am thinking the only way to be sure is to actually test fit everything when you are putting things back together on a jig.  And the 3 possible outcome maybe:

1) Woodsaw fit perfectly next to a scale liner, no mod is needed.  Great!
2) Ever so slightly some rubbing, maybe to create a relief by filing a slope on the scale liner or 3)
3) Heavy rub, put the original relief liner right next to the scale liner.  May not be as pretty, but definitely no rub whatsoever. 
4) Heavy rub, another alternative is to create a new 'relief liner' next to the scale liner with a thin copper foil (most liners have width around 0.6-0.8mm) or a spacer next to the wood saw to it stay away from the scale.

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 05:48:43 PM
Hi Comis,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond and your suggestions.

Yes, I’ll be starting with a Ranger.

Another thought I have is to place the liner profiled for the saw on the scale side as you suggest and make two new scale liners from 0.5mm copper or brass sheet to keep the width down and match the lining of the two scales.

Never made scales before, but I have tin snippers, a saw, files and a drill, so I can give it a go.

My total output so far is a Yeoman and slim Huntsman.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 10:36:37 AM
Hi Comis,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond and your suggestions.

Yes, I’ll be starting with a Ranger.

Another thought I have is to place the liner profiled for the saw on the scale side as you suggest and make two new scale liners from 0.5mm copper or brass sheet to keep the width down and match the lining of the two scales.

Never made scales before, but I have tin snippers, a saw, files and a drill, so I can give it a go.

My total output so far is a Yeoman and slim Huntsman.

Thanks again

I think a pair of new scale liner with matching material would probably look pretty cool!  If my measurement is correct, the scale liner usually is thicker at 0.8mm(which make sense since it provide stability to the whole setup).  If the woodsaw-side of scale liner is replaced by a relief liner + new 0.5mm copper/brass scale liner, I am sure there's enough material there for the rigidity. 

But for the other side, I never done any comparison between copper/brass liner vs stock scale liners, since 0.5mm is rather thin, it maybe beneficial to hand test it just to make sure it won't bend/buckle too easily if it is under tension.(I am sure you probably have thought of that already :D )

You got me curious, what is a slim Huntsman?  :pok: :D

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 11:47:52 AM
I'm thinking that just like a Compact is a slim Climber
A slim Huntsman is a Compact plus saw  ?    :think:    :tu:

Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 07:19:10 PM
I'm thinking that just like a Compact is a slim Climber
A slim Huntsman is a Compact plus saw  ?    :think:    :tu:
That’s right, but I started with an existing Huntsman rather than a Compact. Removed the opener layer from the Huntsman and replaced the small blade with the Combo tool from an inexpensive Adler donor knife.  Compacts can get pretty expensive in the U.K. As I didn’t start with a Compact it doesn’t have the pen or nail file on the back of the hook.

Tried to cut two scale liners today from 0.9mm brass plate and a little Dremel electric hobby scroll saw. Made a bloody mess of it and a pile of discarded, snapped, expensive, Dremel blades. Maybe I’d do better with tin snippers and a file. Having spent years at a desk behind a laptop producing Excel, Word and PowerPoint perhaps I’m not cut out for this. Unfortunately a city dweller so no space for a proper workshop.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 07:45:00 PM
That’s right, but I started with an existing Huntsman rather than a Compact. Removed the opener layer from the Huntsman and replaced the small blade with the Combo tool from an inexpensive Adler donor knife.  Compacts can get pretty expensive in the U.K. As I didn’t start with a Compact it doesn’t have the pen or nail file on the back of the hook.

Tried to cut two scale liners today from 0.9mm brass plate and a little Dremel electric hobby scroll saw. Made a bloody mess of it and a pile of discarded, snapped, expensive, Dremel blades. Maybe I’d do better with tin snippers and a file. Having spent years at a desk behind a laptop producing Excel, Word and PowerPoint perhaps I’m not cut out for this. Unfortunately a city dweller so no space for a proper workshop.

I don't know whether it would help, but I often used the diamond plate or diamond coated dremel head for working with metal, they are less likely to snap and shatter.  But I do recommend always wear eye protection with high speed tools, one cannot be too careful with electric tools.

Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 08:07:47 PM
But I do recommend always wear eye protection with high speed tools, one cannot be too careful with electric tools.

Concur and am waiting for a pair of subscription safety glasses to be delivered. Have also been wearing cut resistant gloves with the scroll saw. I didn’t, but wanted to wear a mask but my glasses kept steaming up.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 11:15:57 PM
Just a curious nosy question, if I may.

You are in the UK but have a German name? !!   :think:

Can you explain for us please?   :pok:   .... of course we do recognise the name!   :tu:

Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 09:51:25 AM
When I was registering for the Swiss Army Knights forum and was prompted for a user name it was straight after browsing EBay.de for ‘altes  taschenmesser’, so the first thing that came to mind.

I guess I could have also used: Klappmesser, soldatenmesser, coltellino, canif, couteau de poche, couteau pliant, couteau navette......

For us British, EBay is look, but don’t touch!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 11:53:07 AM
Danke - Sehr gut mein freund !!

Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 03:37:46 PM
My first attempt at liners. 0.9mm brass. I'm not sure whether I will use them, I've ordered some 0.7mm sheet to have another go or might even stick with the original aluminium.

Couple of Qs:

1. Should I glue or tape the four together and then drill the pivot holes?
2. Some filing is still needed, should I wait until the knife has been assembled and before the scales are put on?

Regards,

Tried to cut two scale liners today from 0.9mm brass plate and a little Dremel electric hobby scroll saw. Made a bloody mess of it and a pile of discarded, snapped, expensive, Dremel blades. Maybe I’d do better with tin snippers and a file.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 06:13:40 PM
My first attempt at liners. 0.9mm brass. I'm not sure whether I will use them, I've ordered some 0.7mm sheet to have another go or might even stick with the original aluminium.

Couple of Qs:

1. Should I glue or tape the four together and then drill the pivot holes?
2. Some filing is still needed, should I wait until the knife has been assembled and before the scales are put on?

Regards,

(Image removed from quote.)

I am not a professionally trained machinist, but my 2 cents worth:

1) I think it depends, I would do it if I am confident all four are virtually identical in dimension, and I am sure it won't shift during the drilling.

2) I would think so, because it will depend how accurate are the holes and what's protruding at the end.  I probably would dry fit everything together once to see how well they(the holes) are working, then dissemble and file them(according to original template) before peening things together.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 15, 2020, 11:39:11 PM
I’m considering a three layer mod:

1. Wood saw and micro screwdriver back tool
2. Metal file and chisel back tool
3. Main blade, Combo tool and Phillips back tool

I’m new to modding so I am after a bit of advice. Is it okay to have the wood saw adjacent to a complete scale liner? Is there sufficient clearance provided by the shapes in the scale liner, or is the risk of rubbing too high? Is the saw normally sandwiched  between cut cut down liners for that very reason?

Maybe a dumb question, but I won’t find out unless I ask. I don’t want to go down this route if it is a non-starter.

Thanks for any advice.

The wood saw shouldn’t be an issue with ‘full height’ liners. But newer, stainless metal saws will likely contact next to a full height. They often make contact with the ‘short’ liners that they come with now.

As for drilling...depends on what equipment you have. You’ll have assembly issues if they vary from each other. And spring compression issues if the third/bottom pin isn’t close to factory geometry relative to the end pins. Because it affects the springs ‘pre-load’ when assembled...and that affects closing properties like snap.

If you are using 2.2mm and 2.5mm bits, you’ll have very little room for error. I suggest working with one next to an original liner to make sure it’s close to perfect. I like clamps, but use whatever you have to keep them from moving.

Good luck, and I like your progress so far.  :tu:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 16, 2020, 11:14:50 AM
A bit late for my solution but I have usually drilled the holes first, while still working with a rectangular blank. This way I only have to keep sure that the holes align and can worry about aligning the holes to the shape of the handle later; usually using a discarded liner screwed (or held together with temporary pins) to the blank as a template.

Reply #15 on: October 17, 2020, 07:53:32 AM
Thanks for the tips which I will take on board.

Tools: A Dremel in a Dremel workstation, 2mm and 2.5mm bits.

Method: Glue two scales together, mark using a Victorinox scale as a template, drill direct on to metal.

Results: Awful, drill bit seemed to deflect on contact with the metal, struggled to penetrate the metal. Scales unusable.

Conclusion: Next time, sandwich and glue single sheet between two  sheets of thin ply, drill holes first of all, then cut scales. All part of learning which is part of the fun.

On hold for moment as Ranger hasn’t turned up. Bought from Amazon supplier which appears to have a patchy reputation for delivery. Suspect a refund and purchase elsewhere.

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #16 on: October 18, 2020, 05:43:11 PM
I put a saw on the outside layer quite often and find it does tend to catch for some reason so I just insert the cut down liner from the doner too (so two outer liners) and it never then catches  :tu:

Reply #17 on: October 30, 2020, 03:07:52 PM
I had another attempt at making liners, both brass and copper.

This time, I sandwiched the metal sheet between two sheets of thin ply before drilling the pivot holes and cutting out the shapes.

Better, but still not good enough. The pivot hole centres are out by fractions but it still makes a big difference. Absolute precision is needed. I just don’t have the right tools to hold, drill and cut the work.

I’ll give up for now. Wish liners could be bought.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: October 30, 2020, 06:09:48 PM
I had another attempt at making liners, both brass and copper.

This time, I sandwiched the metal sheet between two sheets of thin ply before drilling the pivot holes and cutting out the shapes.

Better, but still not good enough. The pivot hole centres are out by fractions but it still makes a big difference. Absolute precision is needed. I just don’t have the right tools to hold, drill and cut the work.

I’ll give up for now. Wish liners could be bought.

Just out of curiosity, did you use a center punch to help with drilling?  Maybe that would help prevent the bits skidding?

Reply #19 on: October 30, 2020, 06:24:29 PM
Just out of curiosity, did you use a center punch to help with drilling?  Maybe that would help prevent the bits skidding?
I think that I just don’t have the right tools. I have centre bits for a hand held drill and other than that a Dremel on their simple work station which is like a hobby drill press. I think I need to move, so I can have a workshop with a proper bench, drill press and scroll saw. City dweller, so don’t have much space.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD