Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Daredevil Challenge 2021

comis · 1327 · 37109

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Daredevil Challenge 2021
Reply #90 on: April 19, 2021, 04:30:48 PM
Could we use more than one tool we dislike? For instance I despise the Victorinox combo tool and the LM Micra. Could I pair up a Bantam and a Micra?
Unfortunately, there's no rotation in this challenge, meaning we will choose one tool we dislike/hate/make peace with...from start to finish. >:D :D

:rofl:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #91 on: April 19, 2021, 04:42:10 PM
The Gerber fans won't like this, but I've never quite got along with my MP-600 or MP-400. They both have needle nose pliers that stick out of the tool so I can't just drop either of them in my pocket which is my preferred carry method.  It will most likely be one of those getting the nod for this challenge.
 :twak:
I never got a chance to carry them, so I can't really tell whether I honestly dislike them, but I don't use the pliers much, so I'd imagine it would be a real hassle to slide the pliers out just in order to get to other tools.

That's right. I do have a multi-tool for this. The Gerber Flik. Which is perfect for this challenge.  :cheers:
If I think MP400/600 is somewhat annoying, then Flik probably annoys more even more with those huge side buttons and funky blades.  Hmmm...this could be a good candidate!

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
Reply #92 on: April 19, 2021, 05:03:49 PM
Unfortunately, there's no rotation in this challenge, meaning we will choose one tool we dislike/hate/make peace with...from start to finish. >:D :D

Sounds good!
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #93 on: April 20, 2021, 04:57:14 AM
I think I would like to join this challenge.

Daredevil Challenge August 2021
01 Comis
02 RF52
03 cody6268
04 Alan K.
05 Kev D
06 Etherealicer (if not busy fighting zombies)
07 ReamerPunch
08 SurgeUK
09 Poncho65
10 chip
11 Sos24
12 Echotech
13 Humayd A R Mahomedy
14 pipedreams
15 Barry Rowland
16 Adam5

At the moment, I would choose the Klein TripSaver for this challenge. I tried it out for awhile for review and I just didn't care for it. It didn't help that the knife tip drew blood twice when I was trying to extract the file.

Or I could choose the absolute worst MT in my collection: the Hart 16-in-1. But the non-locking implements make it virtually unusable for serious work.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #94 on: April 20, 2021, 04:28:35 PM
I think I would like to join this challenge.

01 Comis
02 RF52
03 cody6268
04 Alan K.
05 Kev D
07 ReamerPunch
08 SurgeUK
09 Poncho65
10 chip
11 Sos24
12 Echotech
13 Humayd A R Mahomedy
14 pipedreams
15 Barry Rowland
16 Adam5

At the moment, I would choose the Klein TripSaver for this challenge. I tried it out for awhile for review and I just didn't care for it. It didn't help that the knife tip drew blood twice when I was trying to extract the file.

Or I could choose the absolute worst MT in my collection: the Hart 16-in-1. But the non-locking implements make it virtually unusable for serious work.

Welcome onboard!  :cheers:

za Offline Humayd A R Mahomedy

Reply #95 on: April 26, 2021, 08:44:24 PM
i'm looking forward to this challenge  :woohoo:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #96 on: May 31, 2021, 04:13:50 PM
i'm looking forward to this challenge  :woohoo:
:cheers:

:popcorn:  Two more months...has everybody find a tool you dread to use for 30 days?

I am still debating between a Wetols(a cheap tool I got from Amazon, sturdy looking but weigh like a ton) and a MP600(I know some of you are Gerber fan, but I never seem to warm up to the wobbly pliers head) :poh:

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
Reply #97 on: May 31, 2021, 06:01:33 PM
I’m still leaning towards the LM Micra.
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #98 on: May 31, 2021, 06:05:20 PM
:cheers:

:popcorn:  Two more months...has everybody find a tool you dread to use for 30 days?

I am still debating between a Wetols(a cheap tool I got from Amazon, sturdy looking but weigh like a ton) and a MP600(I know some of you are Gerber fan, but I never seem to warm up to the wobbly pliers head) :poh:
I feel your pain  ::)

Currently it's between a True HandyOne (cheap) and my LM OHT (not so cheap)  :dunno:

The cheap one is just that, cheap, huge and the main blade, although OHO, doesn't lock first go. However, it does come with a bit set (LM :pok: ) that fits inside its pouch.

The OHT is just something I've never got along with :shrug: I find the tools/blades just a little bit too short to be of use and the plier locking mechanism too easily nudged so that I cant deploy them with a flick of the wrist
(unlike the MP600)

What's a boy to do... :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
They don't like it up 'em!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #99 on: May 31, 2021, 06:21:24 PM
That's right. I do have a multi-tool for this. The Gerber Flik. Which is perfect for this challenge.  :cheers:

I have changed my mind and will be using the Coast Pocket Paper-weight. Don't get me wrong, the Gerber Flik is atrociously designed, but it is still functional. The blades are sharp, the scissors cut thin items, the drivers can turn screws, the pliers are good. The can opener sucks, but still. Using the Gerber would be frustrating more due to design than performance.

The Coast Pocket POS, on the other hand, is truly terrible. So it will be more interesting to use. So I'll try and get by with that.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #100 on: May 31, 2021, 07:05:16 PM
I have changed my mind and will be using the Coast Pocket Paper-weight. Don't get me wrong, the Gerber Flik is atrociously designed, but it is still functional. The blades are sharp, the scissors cut thin items, the drivers can turn screws, the pliers are good. The can opener sucks, but still. Using the Gerber would be frustrating more due to design than performance.

The Coast Pocket POS, on the other hand, is truly terrible. So it will be more interesting to use. So I'll try and get by with that.
My God man, the rules call for using a tool you don't especially care for but they don't say you have to suffer for your art.  I think that your use of the Coast tool would be just too painful to watch.
  :facepalm:

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: May 31, 2021, 10:03:17 PM

The Flik was my first MT...
I used and abused mine for ten years until It had stolen from me.

Still missing my quirky Flik. I loved how It deployed the pliers.

And agree with all faulty designs pointed
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 10:09:27 PM by Hevy (CT-782) »

us Offline Sos24

Daredevil Challenge 2021
Reply #102 on: May 31, 2021, 10:18:13 PM
My God man, the rules call for using a tool you don't especially care for but they don't say you have to suffer for your art.  I think that your use of the Coast tool would be just too painful to watch.
:agree:  It will be hard enough using a good or decent tool that you don’t like, but using a terrible tool just seems really painful.  After a month of no challenge and using any and every tool I want and love, I’ve actually been reconsidering participating in this challenge.  But I still will because using a tool I hate will just make me appreciate the tools I love more. 

I’m considering using the Kutmaster Minimaster or Swiss Army Evogrip S18.  I’m leaning towards the Evogrip, for the reasons you mention.  At least the S18 is a good quality tool, it is just that I can’t stand the scales.  Whereas the Minimaster is uncomfortable to use, not a form factor I really like (have to open to access any tools) and the tools are low quality that don’t work that well. 

How much do you want to endure in the name of a challenge?

us Offline countrydirt

Reply #103 on: May 31, 2021, 10:24:37 PM
01 Comis
02 RF52
03 cody6268
04 Alan K.
05 Kev D
07 ReamerPunch
08 SurgeUK
09 Poncho65
10 chip
11 Sos24
12 Echotech
13 Humayd A R Mahomedy
14 pipedreams
15 Barry Rowland
16 Adam5
17 countrydirt

I have a LM Wingman that I've never really bonded with.   I pulled it out of my bike bag where it lives and will clean and oil it in preparation for this challenge.  The only thing that I think the Wingman has going for it is a pocket clip.  I don't like the half and half blade, so I'll have to get used to that.  At least I have a few months to get mentally ready for using it!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 10:53:48 PM by countrydirt »
Troy

us Offline Adam5

Reply #104 on: June 01, 2021, 02:58:17 AM

:dwts:

Actually, you are making me feel guilty for thinking about choosing a MT that is awkward but useable (Klein TripSaver). Maybe I should look through the crud I have accumulated and choose something riskier.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #105 on: June 01, 2021, 05:47:54 AM
I’m still leaning towards the LM Micra.
Me too PD :iagree:

I’ve a bit of a love/hate relationship with them… got 3, the plain steel non-painted one scissors seem better than the other two, so I’d better use the worst one for this I suppose :think:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #106 on: June 01, 2021, 06:39:11 AM
 :iagree: too.  It's a good m/t, but I can't say I'd take it over a Classic or definitely a Minichamp.
Barry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #107 on: June 01, 2021, 04:25:44 PM
I have always given the Gerber Suspension a hard time :whistle: so I may go with the NXT that I bought a while back :ahhh

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #108 on: June 01, 2021, 05:13:14 PM

I think the way this challenge setup is opened for interpretation, you surely could make peace with a quality you hate, or go wild and really challenge yourself to the max with the crappiest tool you could find.  Needless to say, I am so curious to see what's everyone's take away will be after the challenge.

:agree:  It will be hard enough using a good or decent tool that you don’t like, but using a terrible tool just seems really painful.  After a month of no challenge and using any and every tool I want and love, I’ve actually been reconsidering participating in this challenge.  But I still will because using a tool I hate will just make me appreciate the tools I love more. 

I’m considering using the Kutmaster Minimaster or Swiss Army Evogrip S18.  I’m leaning towards the Evogrip, for the reasons you mention.  At least the S18 is a good quality tool, it is just that I can’t stand the scales.  Whereas the Minimaster is uncomfortable to use, not a form factor I really like (have to open to access any tools) and the tools are low quality that don’t work that well. 

How much do you want to endure in the name of a challenge?
That is the Dare Devil question. >:D

Me too PD :iagree:

I’ve a bit of a love/hate relationship with them… got 3, the plain steel non-painted one scissors seem better than the other two, so I’d better use the worst one for this I suppose :think:
Long time ago, I was gifted a Micra and carried that for a year or two and remembered loving it.  Of course, so many years have passed and with a broaden horizon(thanks to MTO), I kinda curious will I still love it like I use to. :think:

I have always given the Gerber Suspension a hard time :whistle: so I may go with the NXT that I bought a while back :ahhh
I just watched a youtuber calling it the 'best' cheap multitool...hmm...kinda curious about this one too. :popcorn:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #109 on: June 01, 2021, 05:33:59 PM
Good to hear that I might actually like it :o :ahhh

:like:

us Offline Adam5

Reply #110 on: June 01, 2021, 05:43:05 PM

I carried a Suspension for a few years. It is an okay tool if you don't really know how good a MT can be.
I tried using the NXT, but I could not get past the combo blade and lack of a saw. A short, mediocre saw is better than no saw.
Good luck!

us Offline Adam5

Reply #111 on: June 01, 2021, 05:46:39 PM
I just watched a youtuber calling it the 'best' cheap multitool...hmm...kinda curious about this one too. :popcorn:

That person has not examined enough cheap MTs. There are several sub $20 MTs on Amazon that are better IMO.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #112 on: June 01, 2021, 06:29:57 PM
It is an okay tool if you don't really know how good a MT can be.

That right there sums up a ton of tools out there and is the reason they sell.  :salute:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #114 on: June 02, 2021, 03:02:02 PM
I think the way this challenge setup is opened for interpretation, you surely could make peace with a quality you hate, or go wild and really challenge yourself to the max with the crappiest tool you could find.  Needless to say, I am so curious to see what's everyone's take away will be after the challenge.

:think:
I was thinking of either the Coast or the Flik. I've been going back and forth between the two.

Let's look at this dilemma again.

The Coast is not a good tool. It looks decent for an inexpensive tool, but it is not. The metal is soft, the tools are hard to pull out, especially the blade. The tools themselves are bad. Scissors, saw, can opener, file, drivers, everything is below average.
Plus, it is heavy (284g - The ST300 is 287g).
Ergonomics are fine, and the tools have individual springs, but who cares?

The Flik looks well-designed, but it is not.
Still, it is a usable tool. Despite the mountain of bad decisions, its tools are mostly good enough. Pliers, blades, scissors, drivers. There are still flops like the can opener, but it will at least make an effort instead of being outright useless.

So, I guess I will be using the Flik. :tu:
I actually like the Coast better. It did not cost much, and it knows what it is. Its flaws are the result of Coast agreeing to put their brand on a cheap product, made by someone who also did not bother.
The Flik, now that's a story worth telling. I will take pictures and finally post my review of the Flik within a week. :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #115 on: June 02, 2021, 03:04:33 PM
I carried a Suspension for a few years. It is an okay tool if you don't really know how good a MT can be.
I tried using the NXT, but I could not get past the combo blade and lack of a saw. A short, mediocre saw is better than no saw.
Good luck!

I do hate combo blades  :facepalm: :D I haven't 100% settled on that tool but it is a top contender contender sure :salute: We will see  :D

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #116 on: June 02, 2021, 03:15:01 PM
It's looking increasingly liekly that I'll be selling myself to the Rev for a magnet  :facepalm:

Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #117 on: June 04, 2021, 03:00:18 AM
I believe I will go with the Suspension NXT for that month :salute:

I :like: that it has a clip  :cheers:

The square Phillips accommodates my bit adapter 8)

I am still on the fence about the spring loaded pliers though  :-\ and I still hate combo blades :D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #118 on: June 04, 2021, 03:46:48 AM
:think:
I was thinking of either the Coast or the Flik. I've been going back and forth between the two.

Let's look at this dilemma again.

The Coast is not a good tool. It looks decent for an inexpensive tool, but it is not. The metal is soft, the tools are hard to pull out, especially the blade. The tools themselves are bad. Scissors, saw, can opener, file, drivers, everything is below average.
Plus, it is heavy (284g - The ST300 is 287g).
Ergonomics are fine, and the tools have individual springs, but who cares?

The Flik looks well-designed, but it is not.
Still, it is a usable tool. Despite the mountain of bad decisions, its tools are mostly good enough. Pliers, blades, scissors, drivers. There are still flops like the can opener, but it will at least make an effort instead of being outright useless.

So, I guess I will be using the Flik. :tu:
I actually like the Coast better. It did not cost much, and it knows what it is. Its flaws are the result of Coast agreeing to put their brand on a cheap product, made by someone who also did not bother.
The Flik, now that's a story worth telling. I will take pictures and finally post my review of the Flik within a week. :salute:
Sounds like you got a 'winner', it'd be interesting to see how your reviews may differ after you use it for a month in the challenge. :popcorn:

It's looking increasingly liekly that I'll be selling myself to the Rev for a magnet  :facepalm:

Please do! :D

I believe I will go with the Suspension NXT for that month :salute:

I :like: that it has a clip  :cheers:

(Image removed from quote.)

The square Phillips accommodates my bit adapter 8)

I am still on the fence about the spring loaded pliers though  :-\ and I still hate combo blades :D

I remembered when I first got my Griptillian, I purposedly got a 'combo' edge and I totally bought the "combo edge can always continuous to cut" ideology.  But I soon realized how wrong I was buying on all those preassumption, and still haven't warmed up to combo edge till today. :whistle:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #119 on: June 12, 2021, 02:28:00 AM
Sounds like you got a 'winner', it'd be interesting to see how your reviews may differ after you use it for a month in the challenge. :popcorn:

I already know everything I need. :facepalm:
Flik review is posted:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87578.0.html

I doubt a month of carrying it will change my mind. It might change it for the worst. :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%