Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool file blades: worth having?

Nix · 81 · 3517

Poll

How important is it to have a file blade on your multitool?

7 -- A file is a 'must have' option for my multitools
12 (22.2%)
6 -- I like having a file, it would be great if more multitools had good files
24 (44.4%)
5 -- I think it is a nice option, but not important
11 (20.4%)
4 -- I can take it or leave it
3 (5.6%)
3 -- Not important, but I don't really use the file
1 (1.9%)
2 -- I would rather have other tools or a smaller multitool without a file
2 (3.7%)
1 -- Useless to me, I don't want a file in my multitool
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Multitool file blades: worth having?
Reply #30 on: October 27, 2020, 11:05:53 PM
The stone is soft enough that it doesn't really wear the files I use out.... so I will let you know when I wear one out  :whistle:

I'm impressed!

Many of my sharpening 'stones' are made from rock......and stone. The whole purpose is to wear down, wear off, metal from the edge of my cutting edge. I would imagine that using a file to shape stone would shorten the life of a file.....especially a soft multitool file...rather quickly. 

Nice to heat that multitool files are capable of filing down stone without dulling. (Although.....some of my multitool files have been so dull to start with that it might be hard to tell......)

ca Offline AndyS

Reply #31 on: October 28, 2020, 12:06:31 AM
I have used the ST300 file to knock down edges on wood and metal, I cut a notch in a piece of metal a few weeks ago (can’t for the life of me remember what I was doing however...) and put an edge on an absolutely awful axe that a friend brought camping the other weekend.

The file on my Sidekick leaves a lot to be desired. I have even thought about ways to modify it to carry a removable Needle File (or something similar) in the handle instead of the factory file.

My vote is “7 - must have”

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: October 28, 2020, 12:14:36 AM
Thanks for voting and giving us a sense of your uses!   :like:

Your input made me think about this question: "Do MTo'ers (the smartest multitoolers in the world.  :D) choose a multitool based on the file?"  :think:

I can answer that question for myself, to a degree. I now avoid some brands of multitool in part....in part...because I know the files are poor quality. The nuanced version of my answer to my own question is this: if a manufacturer does n't care enough to make a good file, I believe they are not sufficiently concerned about the overall quality of their multitool. As a result, I suspect that their products are low-quality in general. And I won't buy them.

I find my response to be somewhat funny, because I don't value a file all that much in the first place. However, for me, a badly made file is the proverbial "canary in the coal mine", e.g. an indicator of the current level of overall quality

So, for everyone else, do you choose a multitool based on the quality of the tool's file?    :think:

And now you got me thinking; this reminds me of why I don't have an SOG Poweraccess Dlx; its file is about useless, as the teeth aren't properly cut (might as well be a Swisstool butter knife contender), and then the whispy spring bars coming from the frame/scales... too bad, as I've been longing for an SOG and the only one that atracts me is the Powelock (with its very thin blades). But the bittersweet feeling left from handling that Poweraccess, the stories heard, and the activity down at the SOG Forum steers me clear from them; waiting for a USA made Powerlock on the cheap.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: October 28, 2020, 01:31:59 AM
I hear you.   :like:

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: October 28, 2020, 01:40:15 AM
I use the file mostly for filing nails, having a rough nail edge will drive me crazy.

I have used the file for filing down burrs on wood table, fence, gate, etc where a split left a rough edge that could have easily resulted in a sliver.  I also used it for a burr where an aluminum table had been scraped.  The edge was sharp enough to cut someone and the file made it smooth. 

Another obscure use is filing or cutting and end on a dog treat.  If Fisher doesn’t finish all his chew in the first sitting/day, he will bring the chew to me because he likes if I trim the chewed end a little.  Just running the file across it a few times can make him really happy.  I think it makes is smell fresher.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: October 28, 2020, 02:05:40 AM
 :rofl: :like:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: October 28, 2020, 02:51:11 AM
I can do quite well without another file at this point in time.   :pommel:

My most common use is to smooth out sharp edges of broken hardened plastic before I have the chance to get a new one of whatever it is.  Second, it would be used to file down nails - and honestly, full sized MTs (anything besides a Vic Classic or Cadet, is rubbish at that)...  The last time this happened was a year and a half ago when I got a hangnail that tore badly and bled within 20 minutes into setting up camp for a weekend in the woods.

I dont mind having a few files around - I appreciate having a file and metal saw on the SwissChamp, maybe on the Wave as well.  On my MP600, it's not made well, and therefore is just taking up space.  I also don't mind having to fetch a file when I need one (which arguably, is never).  So at this point,  I feel the same way about files as some do about can openers(maybe more strongly because of the utilized real estate). 

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: October 28, 2020, 04:40:51 AM
I voted 7, and I value the metal saw far more than the metal file.  Living in an urban environment, metal file to me is far more useful than a wood saw, since it can do what a wood saw does, but not the other way around.

I can't recall how many years ago that was, but once I was travelling with a Swisschamp for a long trip oversea in some remote area.  And somehow I managed to loss the key to the luggage lock, and the metal saw was successful to cut open that lock in a matter of minutes.  Without that metal saw/file, I could have been locked out of my own luggage and completely ruined the entire trip.  Yes, one could argue what's the likelihood of that, but the same could go for anything self defense, CAT5 tourniquet or insurance purchased for health/house.  You may not need it every day, but when you need it, you just do.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: October 28, 2020, 04:59:09 AM

I once used the awl on a SAK to 'pick' the lock on a trunk when the key was missing. ...and, yes, it was my trunk....  :rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: October 28, 2020, 05:02:03 AM
On my MP600, it's not made well, and therefore is just taking up space.  I also don't mind having to fetch a file when I need one (which arguably, is never).  So at this point,  I feel the same way about files as some do about can openers(maybe more strongly because of the utilized real estate).

Offline Catshooter

Reply #40 on: October 28, 2020, 06:22:12 AM
In your OP Nix you talk about "when files were well made" or some such.  Totally spot on.  A friend of mine is a heavy file user and he uses them on hardwood.  That is a very demanding use and the files have to sharp or they just skip away.

I've carried a Leatherman Wave since '98 and I wish they had a good file.  I've used the file on it, but oh man.  Unimpressive, to say the least.

Cat

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: October 28, 2020, 06:53:39 AM
I voted "nice option, but not important".

I carried a Vic Mountaineer pretty regularly for years.  Other than my fingernails (and a nail file really isn't critical IMO, especially if one has scissors), I think I only maybe used it one time.  That was to cut some wire (and yes, wire cutters would have been better, but I didn't have those on me).

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #42 on: October 28, 2020, 02:38:27 PM
It is funny I was just thinking this about saws on multitools and "saw" this.  I voted 6, I like the file on my Wave and it has come in handy to cut through plastic pipe and file off rough edges on things.  For me on a multitool the order of importance of tools is the pliers, the screwdrivers, knife, and some type of mini pry bar.  That is one of the reasons I love the Wave as it has good pliers, with the bit kit set and extender it can handle most screwdriver tasks well, and the OHO knife with lock is pretty decent.  The saw on the Wave is really good and the file is ok but if the Wave didn't have either I would be fine.  Overall to answer the original question I would say yes worth having but not critical. 

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: October 28, 2020, 02:43:53 PM
 :tu: 

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: October 29, 2020, 12:51:17 AM
I went with 7

I'd rather have one and not need it over need it and not have it, I'm also quite happy with the one on my Rebar, it does a first rate job of smoothing edges and cleaning up threads

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: October 29, 2020, 11:23:21 AM
The Rebar does have a good file on it :salute: I actually did receive one (it was second hand and very used) that I ended up replacing on that one though as it wasn't very good :ahhh but all the ones that I have bought otherwise work great :tu: :like:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: October 29, 2020, 12:24:23 PM
Ah, one of those discussions about how useful a certain tool implement on a Multi Tool is.
This might run for a while :D

I do have a "frequent enough" need for a file on a Multi Tool for reasons mentioned (wood, plastic, metal, manicure...).

If a Multi Tool has a useful file then "yes please".
Otherwise please no!   :dunno:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #47 on: October 29, 2020, 04:00:13 PM
Last night while connormac was working on his RC truck, he reached for my TTi so he could use the file on a couple of bits.  I tried taking a pic, but he broke the camera. :facepalm:

:rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: October 29, 2020, 04:18:01 PM
 :facepalm:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: October 29, 2020, 04:26:07 PM
If a Multi Tool has a useful file then "yes please".
Otherwise please no!   :dunno:

I think I'm of the same mindset.

I've been disappointed by so many multitool files. So, infrequent use met with limited utility (for the file's form factor) has left me thinking I don't really need a file in my multitool.

I recently acquired a Vic Hercules. A big SAK. A Workchamp would add a file...and an extra layer. But I decided that the Hercules was just at the upper limit of comfort for size. (I'll find out in the January 111mm challenge.) While the Vic file is a decent file (for file that is soft and not properly hardened), the value of having a file was negated by the extra size. So I chose the Hercules.

My guess is that many people make the very same decision. The Hercules is still in production. The Tradesman in not. Coincidence?  :think:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: October 29, 2020, 10:55:03 PM

:D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: October 29, 2020, 11:23:53 PM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: October 30, 2020, 03:24:44 AM
After tomorrow  I will have a file with me and the world will be right again :D

Charge knife for the win :dd: :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: October 30, 2020, 03:40:48 AM
Yes. And I will have a Vic Classic....with one of my favorite multitool files.   :D

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: October 30, 2020, 09:22:08 AM
 :rofl:     :like:

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: October 30, 2020, 03:22:58 PM
I went with 2, I live having ready access to a metal file, it's one of the few tools I can't replicate in the wild or have on many other tools. I do have a Rolson fileset, but I'd rather just use a MT than dig that out of the cupboard  :dunno:

In the six months I've used my files (Rebar, Swisstool and Wave) to:

-Saw the tip off a nail and deburr the edge to make a ducktape roll
-Saw the lock off of my Gerber Zipknife since it got stuck open (filing down the corners and burrs)
-Polish out a chip in the edge of the 'package openener' on both my Rev (awful tool  :megaslap:) and Free T4

And other misc. edge smoothing, I understand having a file a lot more than I understand having a woodsaw  :dunno:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #56 on: October 30, 2020, 04:17:43 PM
I went with 2, I live having ready access to a metal file, it's one of the few tools I can't replicate in the wild or have on many other tools.

Sounds like the file has come in handy for ya a few times. I'd agree with you about not being able to replicate a file in the wild, if multitool files were actual files, properly cut and hardened. (Although that may be true of other tools as well.) It seems that some of your tasks could have been accomplished with an abrasive rock or sharpening stone. I often carry a small sharpening stone with me to touch up an edge, anyway. You might argue that I'm carrying extra gear (a stone) to make up for a lack of a file. Perhaps.

I'm curious to know which specific file did you use to clean up the edge of the package opening tool?

How soft is the steel of the package opening tool? And did that contribute to its problems? And did the file work because the steel was soft?

Has your need for a file led you to carry a specific multitool?  Or have you found all multitool files to be equally effective? If you are a dedicated fileman, I would expect/presume that your choice of multitool would be dictated, partially, by the file available. Is that the case, or do other features get priority with the file being secondary? Or tertiary?

For my part, I almost cary a multitool despite it's having a file. I have an old 'Made in USA' SOG Paratool. I really like this multitool because it is compact and capable. And the file is descent....by which I mean 'not horrible'. I carried this tool under my mountain bike seat for about 2 decades. I carried it along because I thought the pliers and file might come in handy if I had a repair or improvisation to make somewhere down the trail. Of course that never happened. (Flat tires did, but I never needed to smooth a link or polish a rim to get back home.) I think that was the first and last instance where I choose a tool, in part, for it's file.

Now I almost carry a multitool despite it's having a file. Alan just sent me a Vic Ranger (thanks, Alan!)--a Huntsman with a file layer. So...if I don't need a file, wouldn't I be better off with a Huntsman? Nah....I like the extra backside tools! And, who knows? Maybe the file could come in handy for something some day?  :dunno: (I guess I need to do a Vic Ranger challenge.)

During a few multitool challenges where I've had a file in my multitool, I have tested the files on an axe edge. Some 'make the cut', but even these are pretty feeble and minimally useful at best. Most struggle to sharpen an axe, some (I'm looking at you SOG) don't even cut an axe. Keep in mind most axes are heated and tempered to be softer (to resist chipping and be shock resistant) than a knife or chisel edge.

For actual axe repair and saw/chainsaw sharpening, I use a proper file. They work brilliantly. To get a good edge on an axe, I finish with a stone or sandpaper. It would never occur to me to use a multitool file to tackle such a task except in the most unusual circumstances. Stranded in the woods with a dull axe.....I'd find a good stone and set to restoring the edge. In the process of doing that, I'd probably damage a fingernail....and then I'd be glad to have a file in my multitool.  ;)

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: October 31, 2020, 03:48:05 AM
I went with 2, I live having ready access to a metal file, it's one of the few tools I can't replicate in the wild or have on many other tools. I do have a Rolson fileset, but I'd rather just use a MT than dig that out of the cupboard  :dunno:

In the six months I've used my files (Rebar, Swisstool and Wave) to:

-Saw the tip off a nail and deburr the edge to make a ducktape roll
-Saw the lock off of my Gerber Zipknife since it got stuck open (filing down the corners and burrs)
-Polish out a chip in the edge of the 'package openener' on both my Rev (awful tool  :megaslap:) and Free T4

And other misc. edge smoothing, I understand having a file a lot more than I understand having a woodsaw  :dunno:

:think: seems like you use your multitool file to service your other multiools.  :pok:

That reminds me that the main reason I go to work is so that I can earn money to make car payments, for the car that I only use to get to work.   :facepalm:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: October 31, 2020, 04:47:06 AM
:think: seems like you use your multitool file to service your other multiools.  :pok:

That reminds me that the main reason I go to work is so that I can earn money to make car payments, for the car that I only use to get to work.   :facepalm:

I know that feeling......  :facepalm:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: October 31, 2020, 12:20:30 PM
Files? Depends on whose Multitool you are using.. :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69