Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Weight-loss Challenge

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Re: Weight-loss Challenge
Reply #30 on: November 27, 2020, 12:58:53 PM
Great stories and what a great challenge this seems to be shaping out to be!

Now, I would like to join, but my prob.; if you can call it that; is somewhat different. You see, I'm thinking that at 1.80/103 - 106 I'm getting too small.
Let me explain: I've always seen and treated my body as tool for the job. The job in broad sense has been the number one activity I've been engaged with. When running was my sport it was important to keep body weight around 68 - 72 kilos, a good weight for strength driven runner in 200 - 800 meters. When I turned into powerlifting 125+ was and is the only class for guys of length, really. With my basic structure the muscle and bulk needed to make that weight took years and years of hard work. And I made it barely (well, honestly, I made 115 - 120) whilst keeping some kind of  muscle/fat ratio going.

Now, getting older (55 coming up next) in the past 8 months or so I've come to terms that I won't be making total PR's anymore. That with IPSC and Timbersports have meant that I've been slacking. I've been missing meals, having lazy workouts etc. After all, 3xl shirts still fit tight in back and I can bench 145 - 150 on any given day and twice on Sunday, right? Well, wrong! Did a bit testing today, could bench 135 without stop. Not good, not good at all. Also took a look, a real look on how the shirt I was putting on after shower fitted. Stretching to the limit around chest and shoulders? Hmm, you wish!

To sum this ramble up: yes, I've dropped weight, by trousers and belts are loose at the waist and frankly my speed in an IPSC stage has increased. But I feel that I'm losing upper body muscle and strength fast, and at my age that is not a good thing. Once it is gone, it is almost impossible to get it back, - without chemistry that is - and as the eternal blue eyed optimist I don't belong to the everything but the kitchen sink school of thought.

So, should you accept me into this challenge my goal for December; or the coming 3 weeks at least would be to run a modified Westside Circa-max cycle, get some numbers up, eat and train like a power athlete, whilst also maintaining IPSC and Timbersport basis and have fun while doing it!
by this axe I rule

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: November 27, 2020, 01:02:23 PM

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #32 on: November 27, 2020, 01:50:12 PM
Great stories and what a great challenge this seems to be shaping out to be!

Show content
Now, I would like to join, but my prob.; if you can call it that; is somewhat different. You see, I'm thinking that at 1.80/103 - 106 I'm getting too small.
Let me explain: I've always seen and treated my body as tool for the job. The job in broad sense has been the number one activity I've been engaged with. When running was my sport it was important to keep body weight around 68 - 72 kilos, a good weight for strength driven runner in 200 - 800 meters. When I turned into powerlifting 125+ was and is the only class for guys of length, really. With my basic structure the muscle and bulk needed to make that weight took years and years of hard work. And I made it barely (well, honestly, I made 115 - 120) whilst keeping some kind of  muscle/fat ratio going.

Now, getting older (55 coming up next) in the past 8 months or so I've come to terms that I won't be making total PR's anymore. That with IPSC and Timbersports have meant that I've been slacking. I've been missing meals, having lazy workouts etc. After all, 3xl shirts still fit tight in back and I can bench 145 - 150 on any given day and twice on Sunday, right? Well, wrong! Did a bit testing today, could bench 135 without stop. Not good, not good at all. Also took a look, a real look on how the shirt I was putting on after shower fitted. Stretching to the limit around chest and shoulders? Hmm, you wish!

To sum this ramble up: yes, I've dropped weight, by trousers and belts are loose at the waist and frankly my speed in an IPSC stage has increased. But I feel that I'm losing upper body muscle and strength fast, and at my age that is not a good thing. Once it is gone, it is almost impossible to get it back, - without chemistry that is - and as the eternal blue eyed optimist I don't belong to the everything but the kitchen sink school of thought.

So, should you accept me into this challenge my goal for December; or the coming 3 weeks at least would be to run a modified Westside Circa-max cycle, get some numbers up, eat and train like a power athlete, whilst also maintaining IPSC and Timbersport basis and have fun while doing it!

I think you can join and add to the motivation pool. :cheers:

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #33 on: November 27, 2020, 01:52:00 PM
1. ReamerPunch
2. GearedForwards
3. Sos24
4. Barry Rowland
5. Reinier
6. electro
7. Echotech
8. old Lefty

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: November 27, 2020, 02:01:55 PM
I think you can join and add to the motivation pool. :cheers:

Thank you! I'm turning on my Lope Delk mode today and going into full gear come Tuesday ;)
by this axe I rule

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: November 27, 2020, 02:03:48 PM
This is a great idea  :hatsoff: and I wish you all the best of luck in losing some weight and feeling healthier !    :cheers:

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 27, 2020, 02:26:28 PM
Thanks for the support guys, it's wonderful to be part of this community :)
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: November 27, 2020, 02:29:15 PM
Thank you! I'm turning on my Lope Delk mode today and going into full gear come Tuesday ;)

Do you have any tips regarding weight and rep range for gaining muscle mass? I only have access to dumbbells and a mat and when I trained regularly I went to the gym so I'm not useed to more minimalist training.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: November 27, 2020, 03:13:56 PM
I was hoping this was going to be a more long term thread with people posting their weight/loss once a week for as long as was needed to reach their goal.
With any additional information about whatever they had been doing.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #39 on: November 27, 2020, 03:15:36 PM
I was hoping this was going to be a more long term thread with people posting their weight/loss once a week for as long as was needed to reach their goal.

That's what it will be for December.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #40 on: November 27, 2020, 03:16:48 PM
This is a great idea  :hatsoff: and I wish you all the best of luck in losing some weight and feeling healthier !    :cheers:

:like:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: November 27, 2020, 03:31:00 PM
That's what it will be for December.

It’s going to take a lot longer than December to lose my excess timber.

I will join in if a weekly report is acceptable as I believe weighing yourself everyday is not recommended when trying the lose weight.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #42 on: November 27, 2020, 03:50:17 PM
It’s going to take a lot longer than December to lose my excess timber.

I will join in if a weekly report is acceptable as I believe weighing yourself everyday is not recommended when trying the lose weight.

We will be happy to have you! :cheers:
I will not be weighing myself daily either. Weekly is perfectly acceptable.
And yes, each of us has a different overall goal, and a month may not be enough time to achieve it. Still, a month will certainly help, and if someone wishes to continue to share their progress beyond December, they are more than welcome to do so. :salute:

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #43 on: November 27, 2020, 03:51:01 PM
1. ReamerPunch
2. GearedForwards
3. Sos24
4. Barry Rowland
5. Reinier
6. electro
7. Echotech
8. old Lefty
9. chip

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: November 27, 2020, 04:15:57 PM
Do you have any tips regarding weight and rep range for gaining muscle mass? I only have access to dumbbells and a mat and when I trained regularly I went to the gym so I'm not useed to more minimalist training.
General rule of thumb; backed up by science; says 8 - 15 range for mass*. Ol skool 4x8 or 3x10 are not bad starts.

Big muscle groups should have priority. Aim for 50- 100 reps per main body part* per session. So 2-4 movements with 3-4 sets and 8-10 reps per set.
If you keep bodybuilding tempo going you should get some 15 - 25 sets into 60 min. or so. If not, no worries, see if your body can take a bit more training time or cut sets/amount of work. Warm-up/cool down do not have be counted into this.
Simple full body sessions (3 x week being the age old starting point) are indeed good to start with, if easily boring. Body part splits can be introduced if/when gains diminish.

To begin with do not worry about the weight,  you are training the muscle, so try to focus on the movement and sense of work, not the weight.

It is a good idea to keep a training log. Date/amount of work/total time/how you felt prior and after, 'haps use some RPE schema/other relevant comments

* As all general rules, to be taken as an indication. Big men/women have been build with all kinds of rep and set schemes

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #45 on: November 28, 2020, 02:27:02 AM
I think that could be a great idea.  Maybe even like a 90 day challenge or something.

I know for me, due to a thyroid disorder losing weight is a slow process.  With that in mind,  my starting goal is more of increasing fitness and eating more healthy.  So I’ll be paying less attention to scale and more attention to consistency in healthier habits.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: November 28, 2020, 11:51:19 AM
This is a brilliant idea for challenge, been eyeing it for a few days.  Just a quick question, I could do this while attending the EDC in DEC right?

I have been doing some restrictive diet on limiting my carbs intake, but the weight loss is going slower than I would like.  It's time to turn it up a few notches.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: November 28, 2020, 02:10:28 PM
This is a brilliant idea for challenge, been eyeing it for a few days.  Just a quick question, I could do this while attending the EDC in DEC right?

I have been doing some restrictive diet on limiting my carbs intake, but the weight loss is going slower than I would like.  It's time to turn it up a few notches.

Usually you can only get a badge for one challenge at a time but I think we could make an exception for this one since it it is a non tool challenge.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #48 on: November 28, 2020, 03:54:49 PM
Great question Comis and thanks Steve!
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: November 28, 2020, 04:14:39 PM
Respect to you all :hatsoff:,  It is not easy but each and eveyone of you CAN do it.  Thank you for sharing such personal stories.  Lots of curage to begin this process.  I'll be following you all along this journey sending enourmous energy to each of you. 
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: November 28, 2020, 06:04:23 PM
Usually you can only get a badge for one challenge at a time but I think we could make an exception for this one since it it is a non tool challenge.
Thanks Steve for the clarification!  :hatsoff:

I'm in!

1. ReamerPunch
2. GearedForwards
3. Sos24
4. Barry Rowland
5. Reinier
6. electro
7. Echotech
8. old Lefty
9. chip
10. comis

Respect to you all :hatsoff: ,  It is not easy but each and eveyone of you CAN do it.  Thank you for sharing such personal stories.  Lots of curage to begin this process.  I'll be following you all along this journey sending enourmous energy to each of you. 
Thanks for being supportive!

I think each of us may come into this challenge with different aspiration, but the mindset to find a better self is all the same and I could really respect that.  If there is any take away lesson I've learnt in 2020, it's health is priceless.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #51 on: November 29, 2020, 09:40:02 AM
Respect to you all :hatsoff:,  It is not easy but each and everyone of you CAN do it.  Thank you for sharing such personal stories.  Lots of courage to begin this process.  I'll be following you all along this journey sending enormous energy to each of you.

Thanks for the support! It is already helping. :like:

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: November 29, 2020, 10:59:30 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone and the advice Old Lefty  :tu:

Really looking forward to this challenge, already started counting calories and cutting back in prepartion  :salute:

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #54 on: November 29, 2020, 11:14:52 AM
It is wonderful to see others join in on this, and the support we are already getting. :like:
Any latecomers out there? :pok: You still have time to join.  :salute:

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #55 on: November 29, 2020, 11:42:11 AM
I messed with Paint a bit. Any ideas on the badge? :like:

* 101.jpg (Filesize: 2.64 KB)

* 96.jpg (Filesize: 2.79 KB)

* 96 - Copy.jpg (Filesize: 3.3 KB)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 12:01:49 PM by ReamerPunch »

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: November 29, 2020, 05:53:46 PM
^
I like the 1st one best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by this axe I rule

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #57 on: November 29, 2020, 06:07:57 PM
Me too!
Barry

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: November 30, 2020, 12:40:54 AM
I just had a kfc, my last take away until I reach my goal weight. So my healthy eating, weight loss journey starts tomorrow, but I will weigh myself on the first and post it in KG.
My exercise regime Is going to be very low Key to start with mainly lots of walking..

Good luck all.

Offline electro

Reply #59 on: November 30, 2020, 05:20:46 AM
I'll be having my last vada pav (burger like thing in India. Super cheap, super delicious, super calories)
Started gym couple days ago, starting diet with minimum oil, no dairy in DEC

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD