Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Say.. does your EAB have a thumb stud?

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Say.. does your EAB have a thumb stud?
on: January 14, 2009, 05:25:04 AM
Why yes, yes it does have a thumb stud. A nice little knurled one.. thanks for asking.

;)
G

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Re: Say.. does your EAB have a thumb stud?
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 05:36:02 AM
G

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:59:16 PM
awesome pics, glorn!  I've been meaning to modify my EAB as well.  The original "nail nick" screw doesn't really cut it.  Did you machine that thumbstud screw yourself?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 06:01:37 PM by PyroJames »
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 08:06:28 PM
Sort of. I was cleaning out a drawer last night and found these two old knurled bolts that used to be the attachment mechanism for a plastic clip that was on my Rhinoskin aluminum case for an iPaq. I went into the kitchen and tossed them in the trash along with some other junk. As soon as I did that it occurred to me that they looked like the right size for the EAB.

So I fished them back out and compared them to the original EAB screw. Same threading, same length (for the most part), but of course they had a shoulder above the threads and the knurled bit.

So I measured 'em, took the Dremel to the EAB and removed just a tiny bit of metal from the large portion of the hole where the head of the old bolt sets, and lo and behold that shoulder slid right down into the bolt head hole.. a perfect fit! The knurled head flattened out tight to the body of the EAB.

Then I took a file to the slot to make it more flat head driver friendly (it was rounded inward like it was designed for a coin to slot into). It has to be torqued down a bit more than the original bolt, but that's no big deal. Holds the blade just as secure as the bolt did.

My only complaint is that the knurled bolt is apparently brass with a nickel coating. So it may be soft and I'll have to take care with loosening and tightening so as not to f^ck it all up.

I'll say this though, it does improve the one handed opening of the blade. Gerber should make a stainless bolt like that. Or maybe someone here can. I'd buy one.

If it strips, I'll just put the old back in.     
G

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 08:44:02 PM
That's awesome... plus you have an ipaq too?  I have the iPaq 2215.  :tu:
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%