Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Move Conundrum - Which tools to keep?

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
on: February 20, 2021, 06:26:01 PM
We will be moving this year and I was wondering which MT I should keep around. Our household items will be picked up several weeks before the move, and we will not get them until several weeks after. Which means I will not have access to any of my MT's or regular tools for up to two months.

So everything I need to do in the house or on the property I will have to do with whatever MT I choose to keep. So far I have come up with 2 solutions:

1) Knipex Cobra, Victorinox Ranger and Victorinox bit wrench with assorted bits.

2) MP600 with pictured toolset, assorted saws and assorted bits.

I would be interested in your thoughts. Which one would you pick and why? Do you have any other solution? The only stipulation is it cannot have OHO blades, as they will be illegal to carry in our new location.

:cheers:

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
Re: The Move Conundrum - Which tools to keep?
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 06:51:22 PM
I have become a fan of the SAK & Knipex pliers combination. It so much more versatile than a stand alone multitool. So, I’d go with choice #1. I’d probably go with a SwissChamp, though.
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 06:57:41 PM
The Swiss Champ is not a bad idea. It would give me small needlenose pliers. I don't really need the inline philips though, as I have the bit wrench already.  Maybe a Handyman instead  :think:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 07:07:29 PM
So we're talking about a month without access to your stuff.  I'd keep ALL the tools pictured (and then some).  Perhaps a small tool box/bag?
- Steve

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 07:30:47 PM
So we're talking about a month without access to your stuff.  I'd keep ALL the tools pictured (and then some).  Perhaps a small tool box/bag?

More like two months. Cannot keep a lot of tools, as I will have to fly and I have to keep the tools as light as possible. Got enough other stuff to lug around at the airport  :facepalm:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 08:18:15 PM
Of the options you've given, I would go with #1.  If you have a Knipex pliers-wrench or small adjustable wrench, that might be a good addition.  The Cobra can handle nuts or bolts in a pinch, but tends to chew them up.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 08:29:38 PM
Both

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 08:56:07 PM
I can tell you, from my last experience with making a move - What I used was a Pioneer X and a Leatherman Wave.  What I could have done well with was a Leatherman Signal. 

I needed / used / could have used - Phillips and Flat drivers (both LM and Vic were needed), serrated sheepsfoot blade, and the pommel for light hammering. 

So where my carry fell short - a bit set and a tool with reach would have done me some good, and I forgot to keep my kit with me (because it's on the shelf 99% of the time), and a pommel. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 09:19:49 PM by ElevenBlade »

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 09:16:50 PM
If it can't be both then I'd go with option #1

... with PlierWrench instead and a Ranger (91mm).
The Ranger adds a file and a saw.

Good luck with your move  :salute:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 09:21:18 PM
I can tell you, from my last experience with making a move - What I used was a Pioneer X and a Leatherman Wave.  What I could have done well with was a Leatherman Signal. 

I needed / used / could have used - Phillips and Flat drivers (both LM and Vic were needed), serrated sheepsfoot blade, and the pommel for light hammering. 

So where my carry fell short - a bit set and a tool with reach would have done me some good, and I forgot to keep kit with me (because it's on the shelf 99% of the time), and a pommel.

Thanks for your thoughts. I assume you used the serrated blade for straps, plastic wrapping and boxes?

Can't take the Wave. OHO blade  :dunno:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 09:23:45 PM
If it can't be both then I'd go with option #1

... with PlierWrench instead and a Ranger (91mm).
The Ranger adds a file and a saw.

Good luck with your move  :salute:

:salute:

The SAK is a Ranger. Switched the scales from the Deluxe Tinker they came with. Plier Wrench is a good idea and was mentioned before. Need an excuse to get it anyway  :D

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 09:30:29 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. I assume you used the serrated blade for straps, plastic wrapping and boxes?

Can't take the Wave. OHO blade  :dunno:

right, right, and right on the serrated blade. 

Sounds like a job for a Vic Spirit

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 10:05:53 PM
 :iagree: The Swisschamp covers all your bases.  For pliers, I'm with Stitch.  You can't beat a Plierrench!
I have become a fan of the SAK & Knipex pliers combination. It so much more versatile than a stand alone multitool. So, I’d go with choice #1. I’d probably go with a SwissChamp, though.
Barry

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 10:25:57 PM
As much as I like the MP series, I'd go with option #1. Many times I need to hold a nut or another surface while unbolting/unscrewing, or hold on to a thin steel bar or something to cut and would not be able to if only had the Gerber. I find more practical (in a situation like yours) to keep the tools separate as in option #1. Besides, the grip on the Knypex is out-of-this-world, and having angled jaws can make furniture disassembly easier. Just my $0.02!, and good luck in your new venture. :tu:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 10:36:39 PM
I dont understand how this makes sense on any level at all if you will need to move out of one place and in to another,I would make sure that had the tools I need to do this regardless of them fitting in a pocket or not. :think:

I am not at all sure that anyone has ever tried what you are proposing and lived through it even? :dunno:

This is the minimum that I could get by with......maybe. :pok:

And a Cordless Driver and Bits too!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 10:42:47 PM by ezdog »

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #15 on: February 20, 2021, 11:08:38 PM
I dont understand how this makes sense on any level at all if you will need to move out of one place and in to another,I would make sure that had the tools I need to do this regardless of them fitting in a pocket or not. :think:

I am not at all sure that anyone has ever tried what you are proposing and lived through it even? :dunno:

This is the minimum that I could get by with......maybe. :pok:

And a Cordless Driver and Bits too!

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Well if you put it that way i might need to hire someone to carry my tools wherever i go. And maybe one of those snap-on trucks. You know, just to be sure :D

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #16 on: February 20, 2021, 11:11:56 PM
:iagree: The Swisschamp covers all your bases.  For pliers, I'm with Stitch.  You can't beat a Plierrench!

right, right, and right on the serrated blade. 

Sounds like a job for a Vic Spirit

As much as I like the MP series, I'd go with option #1. Many times I need to hold a nut or another surface while unbolting/unscrewing, or hold on to a thin steel bar or something to cut and would not be able to if only had the Gerber. I find more practical (in a situation like yours) to keep the tools separate as in option #1. Besides, the grip on the Knypex is out-of-this-world, and having angled jaws can make furniture disassembly easier. Just my $0.02!, and good luck in your new venture. :tu:

Thanks, gents  :hatsoff:

Maybe I'll go with Knipex Plierwrench, Spirit XC and Vic bit wrench with bits. That gives me a lot of options  :think:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 20, 2021, 11:58:06 PM
Well if you put it that way i might need to hire someone to carry my tools wherever i go. And maybe one of those snap-on trucks. You know, just to be sure :D

There is a looooong way between that and what you are thinking of keeping and I would want to be able to take care of things that I might need to do before leaving and before moving in so if you cant carry a small Zip bag with real tools in it I think you might have other problems here honestly?
I easily check these onto my luggage as I need to,thats why I built this.

So I was only half kidding really,I would never think a few MT is enough for the possibility of real work being needed to be done.

us Offline getahl

Reply #18 on: February 21, 2021, 12:51:01 AM
There is a looooong way between that and what you are thinking of keeping and I would want to be able to take care of things that I might need to do before leaving and before moving in so if you cant carry a small Zip bag with real tools in it I think you might have other problems here honestly?

So I was only half kidding really,I would never think a few MT is enough for the possibility of real work being needed to be done.

+1 to this. My bare minimum tool wise would be an adjustable wrench or two (or a Chanellock), ratcheting bit driver, Stanley knife, and hammer. Provided I am sourcing these in the interregnum, I'd bring a SAK and your plierwrench and call it good. That bit driver thing looks neat, but I have no experience with it. I largely dislike pliers based multis because they're pretty cumbersome.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #19 on: February 21, 2021, 12:51:53 AM

You are right of course, i would prefer to have dedicated tools available as well. But with the way our travel is set up and restrictions in place, that just won't be doable. If I run into a situation that i really cannot handle with the tools I have, I will ask a neighbour to borrow some.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 21, 2021, 01:03:33 AM
My pick would be a LM Crunch with the full bit set and extender, along with a variety of jigsaw blades, which can be clamped in the the Crunch jaws, and a Vic Champion. I survived off this combo when I made a recent move for about four months. 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: February 21, 2021, 01:38:21 AM
Good luck with the move :cheers: and hope you can keep what you need but you really never know what you need until you don't have it :ahhh

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #22 on: February 21, 2021, 01:43:23 AM
If it was me I'd want a Crunch, an MT with needle nose pliers, an adjustable spanner and a full set of drivers.  If I needed something else in the new place I'd just go buy it.  Alternatively pack a good selection of tools in a separate box and post it so they are available as soon as you arrive in the new place.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 21, 2021, 05:09:17 AM
You are right of course, i would prefer to have dedicated tools available as well. But with the way our travel is set up and restrictions in place, that just won't be doable. If I run into a situation that i really cannot handle with the tools I have, I will ask a neighbour to borrow some.

Something else to consider, if you find your MTs are not up to what you need at your destination, is to purchase one of those prepackaged tool sets when you get there.  They start as inexpensively as about $20, and while quality sometimes isn't the greatest, choosing the right set will give you a usable basic selection of tools.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #24 on: February 21, 2021, 05:28:44 AM
Something else to consider, if you find your MTs are not up to what you need at your destination, is to purchase one of those prepackaged tool sets when you get there.  They start as inexpensively as about $20, and while quality sometimes isn't the greatest, choosing the right set will give you a usable basic selection of tools.

I thought about that too. Once we are there i will not mind buying new tools. I mean who does  :D

I will also go through the tools i have here. I am sure i will find some i have not used for years. You know, the lower quality ones you don't really use, but don't wanna throw away either. No need to move them with us, but they will be a help here  :tu:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #25 on: February 21, 2021, 06:47:18 AM
Thanks, gents  :hatsoff:

Maybe I'll go with Knipex Plierwrench, Spirit XC and Vic bit wrench with bits. That gives me a lot of options  :think:
I think this option is where I would go.  The Spirit gives some more versatility over a Gerber and the Ranger.  Although, didn’t you also have a Bladeless Gerber?  If so, I would probably try to keep that behind, because you mentioned flying and it would potentially be an option for carry-on.  The Gerber would also give the jig-saw blade holder. 

The idea to go through tools for those you don’t mind leaving behind is a good idea too.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 06:53:08 AM by Sos24 »

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 22, 2021, 07:57:17 AM
I know you're going to be tight on space and weight what with flying and what not, but I think you may be being a little restrictive on your tool set  :dunno:

Personally I'd go with:

SAK of choice, plier tool of choice (if you foresee house work, one with a blade holder seems wise), ratchet and Knipex. Unless you are really struggling with weight it really shouldn't make much of a travel difference, but would be a big difference to your capability and just variety (I don't know where you're moving, but if they have OHO bans, then they may have more of a knife fear culture, in which case a normal SAK is familiar and disarming vs a plier based tool with a blade, so the option of a plier tool when needed, SAK when convenient seems best imo).

If you're struggling on the luggage front, just wear all you can and load them pockets up, works wonders getting the essentials in the case  ::)
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #27 on: February 23, 2021, 03:16:02 AM
I came to the same conclusion, so today I went through my tools. I found some lower quality ones I have not used in a while (maybe because i had no idea they were there  :facepalm: ). They are good enough to get some work done should I need it. Got some screwdrivers, locking pliers, a hammer and a few wrenches.

Together with a SAK i feel confident i can handle last minute repairs.

Thanks for all your replies, helpful as always!  :hatsoff: :cheers:

us Offline getahl

Reply #28 on: February 23, 2021, 03:01:24 PM
Please forgive me if this is stepping over the line, and please feel free to tell me to smurf off. If your stuff isn't going to show up for a month after you move, what are you sleeping on, how are you cooking and storing your food, etc? Are you buying new appliances and furniture after you arrive? Takeout for a month? Genuinely interested.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #29 on: February 23, 2021, 03:45:57 PM
Please forgive me if this is stepping over the line, and please feel free to tell me to smurf off. If your stuff isn't going to show up for a month after you move, what are you sleeping on, how are you cooking and storing your food, etc? Are you buying new appliances and furniture after you arrive? Takeout for a month? Genuinely interested.

Once we are at our new location we will get an inflatable air mattress to sleep on. As long as you have enough blankets,  it is ok to stay warm on them.

The kitchen we go to has a stove and fridge, so we will just buy a rudimentary set of pots, pans and silverware and we are good to go on the food side. We won't ship some of our old stuff, so we can still cook here. 

It feels a bit like a weird camping trip, but it is doable. Not our first time doing this either  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%