Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Flashlight or mag glass / phillips layer doubt

00 Offline Elquebraley

• Hey ho, lets go!
Flashlight or mag glass / phillips layer doubt
on: March 02, 2021, 02:57:56 AM
Hello everybody, looking into my first mod in a couple weeks. Still researching a bit... So I would like to know if anybody can help me with this:

Is it easy substituting the phillips drive for a flashlight or magnifying glass? I would like to have a layer with both flashlight and magnifying glass, but I don't know I am ready for serious modification... If its just a straight forward procedure, I will do it for sure. What is easier to add in place of the phillips? That will define which donors I will buy.

Thanks a lot!!

spam Online comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Flashlight or mag glass / phillips layer doubt
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 01:09:06 PM
Hi, Elquebraley.

Welcome to  :MTO:

Here is an exploded view of the 91mm mag glass/philips layer:

I have never tried placing another mag glass/led light across the mag glass, so I don't know whether you could just directly drop one in, and the spring tension will be enough/correct to function properly.  Also, since the middle pin does not rest right in the middle of the chassis and the mag glass itself is a pretty long tool, I would also worry whether another mag glass/led light module will be touching/colliding with the floating pin(the 4th pin, as shown on the liner) if you put in on the opposite side.

Offline ComboTool

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 03:36:38 PM
It can be done, the magnifier/LED layer exists on the SwissChamp XAVT, but I don't know if the backspring is the same as for the Phillips layer.

00 Offline Elquebraley

• Hey ho, lets go!
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 06:35:29 AM
It can be done, the magnifier/LED layer exists on the SwissChamp XAVT, but I don't know if the backspring is the same as for the Phillips layer.

Cyber tool lite as well. Thing is, too expensive. Beter buy spartan lite and swiss champ, and also lots of tools are left for other projects including cybetool itself. But i havent decided yet, both ways its expensive.

spam Online comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 12:29:39 PM

Yes, I have a XAVT and completely forgotten about it....my bad. :facepalm:

Here is a link that would help(a dissembled XAVT from our resident member)
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,81046.msg2154183.html#msg2154183

And there are more diagram and more dissembled photo in the thread that would help too.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 02:27:24 AM
As long as as the parts are from the same year or generation of parts, the three swap pretty easily.

The Lite module needs to go with the two “inner” liners that they originally come with. The Lite module only fits in the small end.

The magnifier only fits in the large end and only needs to match the same year spring for an easy install.

Some can swap with little to no issue outside of the same generation, but ‘04-‘10 parts generally don’t mix easily with everything else outside that range. 

I hope that addresses your concerns.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

00 Offline Elquebraley

• Hey ho, lets go!
Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 12:05:10 AM
Thanks very much to you all!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99