Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Micro Toolbox - Need Recommendations

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
on: May 05, 2021, 03:18:49 AM
Lately I have been thinking about assembling a micro tool box. I want something between an MT and a regular tool box, something that is made out of tool steel and not the soft stuff we find in MT's.

You may ask why I post this on MTo, when it is clearly trying to stay away from MT's:

1) I think a lot of folks here will still find this interesting
2) Some of us already carry a micro tool with their MT or sometimes even instead of an MT. The Knipex Cobra XS for example
3) Maybe this cannot be done without an MT whatsoever, and we need to decide which MT to add. ;)

I would like to replicate most of the tools you find on the average MT:

Pliers
Knife
Awl
Assorted screwdrivers
Scissors
Wood Saw
Metal Saw
File
Can Opener
Light Pry Bar

Here is my first take on micro tools that could supply some of the aforementioned tool implements:

Pliers - Knipex Cobra XS
Knife - Benchmade Proper
Awl - ?
Assorted screwdrivers - Victorinox Bit Wrench or similar small ratchet/wrench with bits
Scissors - ?
Wood Saw - ?
Metal Saw - ?
File - ?
Can Opener - ?
Light Pry Bar - ?

If at all possible I would like to fit this set into the back pockets of a pair of Jeans.

Now let's see what we can come up with!  :cheers:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 05:01:52 AM
As far as a small wood saw, a Silky Pocketboy is probably the best you will get as an improvement over MT but still small.  I don’t yet own one, but I know Silky saws are very popular with bushcrafters.

I don’t know if they make a Metal saw blade or how easy it is to change, but if you found a similar handle with both blades, it would probably work well.  I think Kobalt and Husky make ones.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 05:17:10 AM by Sos24 »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: The Micro Toolbox - Need Recommendations
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 08:21:18 AM
P51 can opener? Or P38. As small as they get.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 09:53:18 AM
For a file I'd just throw a small file from a set in there, the small files in my set are pretty carryable in a kit just pick the configuration you'd like (I'd go with a flat file with metal saw edge for versatility). Length wise my files go up to the very end of the nail nick on a n opened 91mm SAK.

Light prybar, this really depends on what you want: something EDC/keychain size will be far better than a MT flat head, but you may want to go into small crow/wrecking bar territory depending on how heavy duty you want.

If you're going dedicated knife I'd go something faster to open or a small fixie personally too.

Pouch wize, the smallest Maxpedition organiser maybe?

Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 10:41:33 AM
I agree with GF on the Maxpedition organizer to organize it all.  I have a few of them and they are fantastic for exactly that kind of thing.

If you wanted something a bit different, but just as good (if not better!), try contacting Metropolicity here on the forum about getting a Skinth sheath to hold everything.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

de Offline Shuya

Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 11:38:07 AM
For a saw I would look for some T-Shank handles.

You can then add all kinds of sawblades for quality and durability.
You might make your own foldalbe version out of LM parts.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 01:01:16 PM
I second this or maybe reciprocating blades (more handles availabale).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

de Offline Shuya

Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 01:11:15 PM
I second this or maybe reciprocating blades (more handles availabale).
Indeed, but depending on the package size he wants these handles and sawblades might be a bit long and builky.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 01:16:29 PM
Not sure if a multi is an answer you're looking for but a Farmer X would take care of your awl, light pry bar, can opener, woodsaw, blade, assorted drivers and scissors in a  frame smaller than the combined separate tools.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

de Offline Shuya

Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 01:38:24 PM
I have something in my kit, but never really used it, but it makes a great prybar:

Boker Minibar https://www.boker.de/minibar-150023?c=5456

For similar stuff just google "mini prybar" or "pocket prybar". Tons of products, you can buy cheap, you wont use that for tank hatches anyway and unless its really soft metal it will do its job.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 01:39:14 PM
Not sure if a multi is an answer you're looking for but a Farmer X would take care of your awl, light pry bar, can opener, woodsaw, blade, assorted drivers and scissors in a  frame smaller than the combined separate tools.

I was going to suggest the same thing    :D

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 02:55:51 PM

THis..its hard to argue with how good the Farmer X is.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 03:31:04 PM
Thank you all for your recommendations, very helpful, keep them coming :tu:

I like the FX, but it is lacking screwdrivers. The large one is good as a light prybar, but that is about it. I personally do not like the can opener as a screwdriver. Just too weak  :dunno:
I am also looking for a better blade than 420. I really wish Vic would offer some SAKs with S30V or similar blades  :pok:
The rest of the tools would be spot on though  :D

You can then add all kinds of sawblades for quality and durability.

Do you have an example? This sounds like a good solution  :tu:

TOPS Pocket Survival Saw:

Interesting, will have to checkout their stuff  :tu:

For a file I'd just throw a small file from a set in there, the small files in my set are pretty carryable in a kit just pick the configuration you'd like (I'd go with a flat file with metal saw edge for versatility). Length wise my files go up to the very end of the nail nick on a n opened 91mm SAK.

Light prybar, this really depends on what you want: something EDC/keychain size will be far better than a MT flat head, but you may want to go into small crow/wrecking bar territory depending on how heavy duty you want.

If you're going dedicated knife I'd go something faster to open or a small fixie personally too.

Pouch wize, the smallest Maxpedition organiser maybe?

I have some of those small metal files, but none have a saw edge  :think: Do you have an example of small files that do have one?

Good idea with the pouch, will scout their website  :D

Don't want to add a faster blade or a fixed blade, it needs to stay legal to carry. Which means no fixed blade and no OHO + locking blade  :-\

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 05:35:07 PM
I have some of those small metal files, but none have a saw edge  :think: Do you have an example of small files that do have one?

Good idea with the pouch, will scout their website  :D

Don't want to add a faster blade or a fixed blade, it needs to stay legal to carry. Which means no fixed blade and no OHO + locking blade  :-\

These are basically the small fiels from my set, but sold as their own set: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-24615-Needle-File-Set/dp/B001KOTNOY/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=rolson+file+set&qid=1620228452&sr=8-5

The flat file on the far right is the one I keep out and about for odd jobs, it's a capable file (last used to turn the inside edge of a SAK can opener into a blade), it has a saw surface on one sideand cuts pretty nicely (perhaps not as a aggressive as the one on MTs, but it's so much thinner it'll be cutting through less material anyway).

Oh sorry didn't realise you had legal restrictions, in which case the Proper sounds perfect for your situation  :tu:

Pouch wise the micro seems like the size you want https://maxpedition.co.uk/products/micro-pocket-organizer

It'll fit in a pocket without too much trouble when full, their newer AGR serires may have something in that size but I think it'd be more bulky and those tend to have a sideways lay out on one side.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 08:11:01 PM
I was going to suggest the same thing    :D
THis..its hard to argue with how good the Farmer X is.
The Farmer X was the first thought that came to my mind as well
- SAK scissors are hard to beat.  I have never tried a pair of small folding scissors that worked better.
- Most small saws that would out perform the Farmer X will be significantly larger.  Even a folding pocket saw would be a little big for pocket
- Adding P-51 and small pry bar become optional based on needs, but the Farmer X could handle most.
- Choosing Farmer X as base for scissors, saw, can opener and maybe small pry; allows more space for other tools that aren’t included in Farmer X and some redundancy.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 08:16:05 PM by Sos24 »

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 05, 2021, 08:22:02 PM
Here's something I put together a couple of years ago.  A little heavy, but it fits in a pocket.

Contents:
Left Side
Corkscrew for Spirit
Wenger Pocket Totlachest
Olight i3T flashlight
Extension from Bit Kit
PocketWrench II
Set of 1/4" Sockets on a 3" machine screw w/ wing nut

Right Side:
Sears pry bar
Spirit Socket Set and Ratchet w/ 1/4" Hex to 1/4" square drive adapter
SwissTool Spirit
Anything Goes 2020 - 1 (10).jpeg
* Anything Goes 2020 - 1 (10).jpeg (Filesize: 180.38 KB)
- Steve

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: May 05, 2021, 11:52:47 PM
Very interesting thread :like:

I also agree that the Silky Pocketboy is about as good of a small saw as you will find after stepping up from a MT or SAK sized saw :salute:

Also I wrote this out right after reply 15 and never pressed post :facepalm: And I also agree that a Farmer X would be a great tool for a kit of this type :cheers:

Lot of good ideas in here :like:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #19 on: May 06, 2021, 01:01:12 AM
For the screwdriver, you could use the SwissTool Wrench and bit set.  There are also lots of different handle styles for use with bits like one ones pictured below,

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #20 on: May 06, 2021, 03:49:55 AM
These are basically the small fiels from my set, but sold as their own set: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-24615-Needle-File-Set/dp/B001KOTNOY/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=rolson+file+set&qid=1620228452&sr=8-5

The flat file on the far right is the one I keep out and about for odd jobs, it's a capable file (last used to turn the inside edge of a SAK can opener into a blade), it has a saw surface on one sideand cuts pretty nicely (perhaps not as a aggressive as the one on MTs, but it's so much thinner it'll be cutting through less material anyway).

Oh sorry didn't realise you had legal restrictions, in which case the Proper sounds perfect for your situation  :tu:

Pouch wise the micro seems like the size you want https://maxpedition.co.uk/products/micro-pocket-organizer

It'll fit in a pocket without too much trouble when full, their newer AGR serires may have something in that size but I think it'd be more bulky and those tend to have a sideways lay out on one side.

Thx for the links, more stuff that I want...no, no, wait....I NEED it  :D

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #21 on: May 06, 2021, 03:53:56 AM
Here's something I put together a couple of years ago.  A little heavy, but it fits in a pocket.

Contents:
Left Side
Corkscrew for Spirit
Wenger Pocket Totlachest
Olight i3T flashlight
Extension from Bit Kit
PocketWrench II
Set of 1/4" Sockets on a 3" machine screw w/ wing nut

Right Side:
Sears pry bar
Spirit Socket Set and Ratchet w/ 1/4" Hex to 1/4" square drive adapter
SwissTool Spirit

Interesting approach  :tu: Would still need to outsource the saws and file from the Spirit. Maybe the Pocketboy for those, and a PX for light pry bar, awl and scissors  :think:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #22 on: May 06, 2021, 03:59:49 AM
Let's see what we have so far:

Pliers - Knipex Cobra XS
Knife - Benchmade Proper
Awl - PX
Assorted screwdrivers - Victorinox Bit Wrench or similar small ratchet/wrench with bits
Scissors - PX
Wood Saw - Silky Pocketboy 130mm
Metal Saw - Silky Pocketboy 130mm
File - Needle File
Can Opener - PX
Light Pry Bar - PX

Could leave the Proper behind as the PX has a blade. This looks like a small, but very capable tool box to me. What do you guys think?

While we are at it: Any recommendations on a good bit set? I have so many bits, but most of them are cheap chunk that came with a (good) tool. Never understood why tool companies add crappy bits to great tools  :dunno:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 04:05:24 AM by SirVicaLot »

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 06, 2021, 04:06:58 AM

Pliers - Knipex Cobra XS
Knife - Benchmade Proper
Awl - PX
Scissors - PX
File - Needle File
Can Opener - PX
Light Pry Bar - PX

Could leave the Proper behind as the PX has a blade. This looks like a small, but very capable tool box to me. What do you guys think?

Looks good to me  :tu:

I'd just suggest some consumables to mix in:

Some zip ties (you can 'frame' the inside of Maxpedition pouches with them to keep them out of the way/get longer ones in)
Tube of superglue in a baggy
Few paperclips of different length (come on Mac)
An old gift card with Duct tape/Gorilla tape and electricians tape wrapped wound it
If you don't carry a lighter, a few matches w/strikepad, sometimes a bit of flame is needed to tidy/seal something and it's such a low weight/space cost

You may want to consider a tailor's style tape measure, or alternatively a known length of your choice of cordage with the odd length marking sharpied on. Takes care of measuring to a certain degree and doubles as cordage as necessary.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: May 06, 2021, 10:07:28 AM
Indeed, but depending on the package size he wants these handles and sawblades might be a bit long and builky.
Problem is, that I only ever found one good t-shank holder and that one was a bit on the expensive side. To my knowledge, the only other one is from Donau Elektronik and it is terrible. There used to be one from Stanley, but it's no longer available.

On the other hand, there are various models for reciprocating saw blades available.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 06, 2021, 02:29:36 PM
Does a smaller Knipex pliers wrench work into this rotation at all?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Adam5

Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 06:05:55 PM

Pliers - Knipex Cobra XS
Knife - Benchmade Proper
Awl - PX
Scissors - PX
File - Needle File
Can Opener - PX
Light Pry Bar - PX

Does Silky sale a metal saw blade for the Pocketboy?

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #27 on: May 06, 2021, 11:39:47 PM
Does Silky sale a metal saw blade for the Pocketboy?

I have not looked yet, only assumed  :think: Will have to check

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #28 on: May 06, 2021, 11:40:18 PM
Does a smaller Knipex pliers wrench work into this rotation at all?

It sure would. Could be both Cobra and Plierwrench or only one of them  :tu:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #29 on: May 06, 2021, 11:42:09 PM
Problem is, that I only ever found one good t-shank holder and that one was a bit on the expensive side. To my knowledge, the only other one is from Donau Elektronik and it is terrible. There used to be one from Stanley, but it's no longer available.

On the other hand, there are various models for reciprocating saw blades available.

The item in first link is exactly what i was looking for. Maybe i need someone have it 3D printed  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%