Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Joy of Finding a Vintage Pocket Knife You Thought was Lost For Good

00 Offline SgtTowser

So: I bought an old Western four tool Camper recently that suddenly attained great psychic value to me, because it symbolized both  life in the American West and the fact that I had some what by accident come to have spent the vast majority of my adult life there. Had I spent my life in the East, or France, England, Norway, Australia, Italy,or all the other places that members of this knife community have spent theirs, and bought a knife that somehow embodied those places, I would have felt exactly the same.When you get old, things you once took for granted, or overlooked entirely, sometimes become important mile markers that orient one and remind one of the stunning journey one has made simply by living long. The old Western is not very valuable to anyone but me—it’s only real distinction being that it had long pulls on all four tools. To the rest of the world, it’s just another Camper and a little rustic at that. But to my own private mythology it signifies much.

So I promptly lost it.

No idea where.

Poof!

There are many possible culprits around my house.

My puppy likes my knives as much a steer bones
and No Hides.

I am somewhat fatalistic about lost knives. About most things I am an eternal optimist. But I seem to pore all of my pent up pessimism into lost knives being unfindable.

Any other object, I systematically retrace my steps, but there is something about my love of knives that makes it too risky to invest in potentially dashed hopes to do so for a lost knife.

But for this Western I looked high and low, near and far. I looked everywhere and then despaired all the same.

I am cursed, I thought. I am meant never to longsavor any satisfaction with my life.The fates are against me. No one wants to help me find my knife.

Poor me!

And then miraculously i found it laying beside a stack of papers on the ottoman in front of our sofa, where I had looked 20 times.

I called my wife and asked if she were the angel that found my knife?

She said no, that she had said it would turn up, and hung up.

And so now I have my Western again, but I do not know who found it, or if I am going crazy, or if someone is playing a prank.

Well, I don’t care!

I’ve got my knife back...and my life back.

And I am happy as a clam!

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 02:38:53 AM by SgtTowser »

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Great story Sarge and know exactly what you mean, glad you got it back :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
The first place I look is the fridge  :facepalm:.   As I age I seem to put things into the fridge  :rofl:

Glad you found it OR the knife GODs had mercy upon you and...........  well you know the rest.   ;)
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline SgtTowser

The first place I look is the fridge  :facepalm:.   As I age I seem to put things into the fridge  :rofl:

Glad you found it OR the knife GODs had mercy upon you and...........  well you know the rest.   ;)

OMG! You mean there is someone else out there that accidentally leaves things in the fridge?  I left my cell phone in there one time and I have never lived it down!

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
OMG! You mean there is someone else out there that accidentally leaves things in the fridge?  I left my cell phone in there one time and I have never lived it down!
Were you cold-calling somebody?

00 Offline SgtTowser

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
 :rofl: We have a good laugh about it often enough.  Thankfully I dont misplace items often but when I do  :D I even look in the fridge  :whistle:

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Glad you found it !   :tu:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Glad it found its way back home.  :tu:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
 You too!?  I'm so glad to hear that Aloha!!  Great news Sarge!! :mail:

Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
 :rofl:  :tu:

Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Glad you found it !   :tu:

+1

Get a chain/lanyard and attach it to your belt/belt loop.

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline SgtTowser

+1

Get a chain/lanyard and attach it to your belt/belt loop.

:pok: :pok:

I’ve resisted all these years out of vanity, but this experience made me look in the mirror and face up.

I’ve reached the age of chain lanyards.

:rofl:

00 Offline SgtTowser

“Thou hast nor youth nor age, But, as it were, an after-dinner's sleep, Dreaming on both; for all thy blessed youth : Becomes as aged, and doth beg the alms : Of palsied eld; and when thou art old and rich, Thou hast neither heat, affection, limb, nor beauty, To make thy riches pleasant.”

—Shakespeare, Measure for Measure, Act III, Scene 1

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD