Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which company has the best quality multitool line currently? (can be bought new)

dks · 44 · 2171

Poll

Which company(ies) has(ve) the best quality multitool line currently? (Available new in shops)

Leatherman
SOG
Victorinox
Gerber
Schrade
CRKT
Boker
Roxon
Ganzo
Swiss+Tech
NexTool
Bibury
Ruike
Bear and Sons
Camillus
Emerson

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Which company has the best quality multitool line currently.  Not the biggest or the most interesting.

2 VOTES per member

They may be selling just one product that is brilliant or various of varying quality, but we are looking at the line, what you would advice someone to buy, if he/she/it just asked for a good quality multitool. no size or tools specified.

No cost / value for money taken into account - these are also very region specific.

Which company produces/sells, currently (no past glories) the best quality (most solid, dependable CONSISTENTLY good etc.)

Current production / widely in stock items

I have tried not to include smaller brands, or most brands that would just put their names on a tool, with no actual connection to it or its manufacture (some were included as they have a larger "brand" presence)

I have also not included purely knife based multitool as those made by Opinel, GEC, and so on as they could be too many (any knife with a bottle opener would qualify)

Please suggest any other large brands you know

YOU ARE ALLOWED TO CHANGE YOUR VOTE, so if other options are added you can change your vote.

If you do not like this poll, feel free to start your own.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Haven't tried that many different makes yet so voted from my limited experience :tu:

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Mora?   :)

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Now that is a bit surprising. I am the 7th voter and all of us to this point voted the same.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
true...

we are of one mind, could be worrying.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Voted Victorinox. Though some may criticize them for a lack of imagination, I think they have chosen to offer a range of top quality tools that are nigh on perfect for what they do and are pretty much sticking to that 'tried and tested' formula.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline cody6268

Victorinox are the best, because I've truly never had a bad one; and I've got nearly 80-year-old Victorinox and nearly 100-year-old Wengers that work like new despite really being beat up. My SwissTool and Spirit are both great, with the most aggressive files, the best tool layout, and a great locking mechanism.

I've had a few quality issues with recent Leathermans, especially stiff pliers that would not break-in.

Bear and Son have nice designs; but they need to get a case of "give a crap" with their quality, and abandon the current style of locking mechanism they use with the tools.   Bear designs are great, but the quality is hit and miss. The best I have are a little rough cosmetically, while the worst are a serious safety hazard.  Some of my Bear knives (including those made for Moore Maker and Remington) have been good, but not great. All the multitools are just passable at best.    My local knife store stocks a carbon steel Trapper and Large Stockman, and I will, for the first time, have the opportunity to hand-inspect them. I know Bear does occasionally produce a knife that is actually quality, but I  have yet to own one.

Same with Utica. They still make the Multimaster. The MiniMaster is really robust for its small size. But, the metal they use is cheap (cut rebar binding wire, nicked cutters), and the quality a little rough.

Schrade gets the vote for worst period. Many companies, like Workpro, BiBury, etc. can make a sub-$20 but decent tool. The current Tough Tool is a huge pile of smurf, nothing like the original USA made one.

Gerber needs to find a replacement for the carbide cutters. Else, they're a decent brand.

The Chinese Camillus aren't as bad as the Chinese Schrades, but their attempts at multitools have been awful.

Boker just has decades-old traditional lines, two inexpensive pliers-based multitools at Leatherman prices, and rebadged Ruikes; nothing really original there.

SwissTech does have some interesting new models; but most are cheap versions of the original LKL Innovations items; or generic Chinese-made tools with their name on it.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Vic. No question in my mind. At this point, the only new multitool I'd buy is a Vic.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
I voted Vic and then LM (based on quality, not variety)  :dunno: and compared to a lot of members here I have a very small collection of MT's  :-[

I currently own 12 LM tools from an OG Surge down to a Squirt and two Vic' types (SwissTool & MXBS) All of which are users to one extent or another  ;)

I was awlways a LM fanboy from the first PST, issued in the Army (80's) to my first Mini, bought with my own cash (also 80's)

However, I've had numerous others over the years (SOG/Gerber) and I must be honest the Vic ones are just so well engineered it's beyond compare (especially the MXBS)  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

I would love Vic to do their version of the Surge (basically a MXBS meets SwissTool)  :dd:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Easy for me, Victorinox and Leatherman.  I use both and enjoy both. 

I did have a cheap and cheerful way back and it was a fantastic tool.  I don't recall the name.  I then bought another to replace it as I gave it away.  The newer one was also a cheap and cheerful and also fantastic tool.  Then I bought a LM which capability wise was on another level.  I got a Swisstool then Spirirt, whoa.  I'd not be quick to give up either. 

As for pocket knives, SAKs.  How does one compete?  Simpler for me not to try.  I love my older trads from companies on the list Camillus, Schrade, and Boker.  The ones I have are well made.  Can't fault them.  CRKT pocket knives in my use are also good.  I cannot fault the ones I had and have. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

Victorinox first and Leatherman second.

Victorinox does what they do well.  Whether knife of plier based multitools.  you can trust you are getting a quality product.

Leatherman isn’t far behind and does have some nice offerings, but some inconsistency and quality control issues puts them behind Victorinox in my opinion.

The others that I have tried are Gerber, Utica, SwissTech, Ruike, and a couple I’m not sure of the branding on.

gb Offline JB1971

just voted for my 2, I don't have any experience with most of the brands on the list so I stuck with what I know.

I'm so predictable (mine matches what everyone seems to be voting for)

nz Offline Syncop8r

I voted Victorinox based more on what I have seen and heard of others' mutltitools than my own limited experience with them and Leatherman based on my own good experiences.  :salute:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Victorinox and Gerber for me, as they make my Top 3 MT's: Spirit, MP600 and MP400
Tried around 7 different LM products so far, and none convinced me. The simple fact that they don't want to fix or can't fix tool clumping (and i don't know which is worse)  is a no-go. The second no-go is OHO, so a lot of LM's are not even in consideration  :dunno:

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Victorinox and Gerber for me, as they make my Top 3 MT's: Spirit, MP600 and MP400
Tried around 7 different LM products so far, and none convinced me. The simple fact that they don't want to fix or can't fix tool clumping (and i don't know which is worse)  is a no-go. The second no-go is OHO, so a lot of LM's are not even in consideration  :dunno:

Can you open a Spirit one handed?  :think:

The OHO design of the Gerbers has strongly tempted me, though I think there's a badge for being bit by them, which given my other 'bites' from my tools isn't encouraging  :facepalm:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline cody6268

Can you open a Spirit one handed?  :think:

The OHO design of the Gerbers has strongly tempted me, though I think there's a badge for being bit by them, which given my other 'bites' from my tools isn't encouraging  :facepalm:

We should be able to within the next couple of months, whenever the MXBS FINALLY becomes regularly available for sale. Seems a Swiss and a Singaporean dealer each ended up with a few in BO and Stainless last fall but it didn't last long.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Leatherman and Gerber.   :tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Which company has the best quality multitool line currently.  Not the biggest or the most interesting.
Is design included in this or is it more about fit and finish, durability?

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club

We should be able to within the next couple of months, whenever the MXBS FINALLY becomes regularly available for sale. Seems a Swiss and a Singaporean dealer each ended up with a few in BO and Stainless last fall but it didn't last long.

I assumed this was about the pliers, aren't the Gerber's other tools internal like a Rebar?

OHO blades are nice, make solo carrying the tool more reasonable in my eyes but it's not much of an upgrade to me (I usually have mutliple knives on me anyway though).
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Victorinox.  Every Swisstool I’ve handled has been fit and finished precisely.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
I voted for Vic (only).  If I could I would give both my votes to Vic, as IMO it's Vic first and daylight second.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Is design included in this or is it more about fit and finish, durability?

Fit, finish, durability - resistance to damage and wear during reasonably hard use.

Design is not what I had in mind, as we have seen many good designs executed badly (quality wise), the SOG poweduo and Gerber dime come to mind (I own both).
Also, design is closely related to looks or individual's comfort in use and tool selection and size and these can be quite objective. I think the LM squirt PS4 is a brilliant design with good looks and a lot of functions built in. Others may consider it too small and lacking in capability.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Design is not what I had in mind
OK, some are taking things like OHO into account, which is a design feature and not a quality feature IMO.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
 Maybe we need a PowerPoint presentation.....

You could compare how the OHO for pliers of Gerber compares with the OHO system of LM and see which works better and lasts longer.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
I have a lot of Leatherman tools and I like them a lot that said I voted Victorinox the fit finish and Qualify are outstanding.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Submitted my vote, today.
I don't have a large selection of MTs, so I can only comment on what I have.
My Leatherman Original Super Tool has never let me down and is still going strong along with an old Gerber.  Had both for many years now.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator

You could compare how the OHO for pliers of Gerber compares with the OHO system of LM and see which works better and lasts longer.

If we're talking pliers OHO I only have two; a Gerber (MP 600, Pro Scout) and a LM OHT.

I like the OHT for the O/S OHO blades but the MP 600 for the OHO pliers (the push button works better  :dunno: )
They don't like it up 'em!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice

Is that the new SOG tool?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline gregpost

Victorinox has the most consistency: the snap, the polish, the finishing is so uniform across different tools in the multitool and Swiss Army knife line. Everything about them exudes quality.

Leatherman tools are tough, consistent enough, and take a lot of abuse and hard work. And if you over do it and break them they're easy to fix and replace. They're phenomenal and very helpful gadgets to have.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
I dont think anyone would really not pick Vic for Quality straight up?
No real competition to me.

I use the hell out of my Gerber CD though every day and no troubles at all for mine and I like the design too. I dont think they are finished as nicely as the Vic by any stretch but they are good enough to last and I have killed a few Leatherman doing the same work!

I also really like the Boker Tech Tool Quality and find it in the same league really as the Vics of similar design but I use a full size Plier Based tool every day and they do not offer one that I know of yet?

I will also throw out here that the Emerson is a great tool for what it is as well!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%