Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bond or Rebar or even better stick with PST/PST II?

de Offline garand2004

Hi Folks - I just discovered the Bond. After reading and watching some articels, I wonder why I should get it? Why not stick with an original trusty PST or PST II or the rebar with its  189 grams compared to the 176 of the Bond but even more functionality?

What do you think? ;-)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 10:50:56 AM by garand2004 »

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Bond or Rebar?
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 10:25:38 AM
I would choose Rebar cause it has more funcional than Bond and many have complained Bond blade been too loose to safely carry it. Tho im eventually gonna get Bond but for edc i go for Rebar just for changeable cutters, saw and serrated blade. I dunno do i see weight as issue for me.

Only Tools Matters

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Bond or Rebar?
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 10:41:14 AM
I would choose Rebar cause it has more funcional than Bond and many have complained Bond blade been too loose to safely carry it. Tho im eventually gonna get Bond but for edc i go for Rebar just for changeable cutters, saw and serrated blade. I dunno do i see weight as issue for me.

Only Tools Matters
:iagree:

I’ve been thinking about the Bond but the weight saving isn’t that much and as Antti says you’re losing a fair bit of functionality, for me saw and serrated blade are well worth the extra weight

I’d like to see a side by side review of how the Bond compares with the PST, what’s better, what isn’t :think: :popcorn:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Re: Bond or Rebar?
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 10:53:52 AM
Let me start of by saying I don't own a Bond (yet). But to me it seems the only reasons why one could prefer a Bond over a Rebar are:

- Local knife laws that forbid carrying the Rebar with lockable blade/awl.

- If weight was an issue (but the Rebar isn't exactly a heavy weight itself).

- For the looks, because I have to admit, it looks great, real classic Leatherman vibe going on there.

- Price, but I've only found the Bond for 60 Euro for the moment, while I can easily find a Rebar for 82 Euro, so 22 Euro cheaper for the Bond is not exactly a bargain in my opinion.

Those are about the only reasons I can think of.  And if knife laws were an issue,  I would still prefer a knifeless Rebar over a Bond.

For now I'm going to wait until Leatherman fixes the knife issue, and until they drop in price, then I will probably get one (but only one, for the collection), and not for real use.

As always, just my own humble opinion.

nl Offline nitram

Re: Bond or Rebar or even better stick with PST/PST II?
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 11:27:39 AM
There are some differences between a PST and the Bond that I’ve noticed while using it.

Obviously the handles on the Bond are more comfortable while using the pliers. The awl on the Bond is also better (for me).

The flat drivers on the PST have better reach when it comes to recessed screws. On the Bond the medium flat gets really wide after the tip, I’m considering replacing it with a driver from a Fuse or Blast.
Also, the Bond doesn’t have a small flat driver like the PST.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 11:43:37 AM
:tu: nitram :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 11:44:14 AM
I think that the Rebar has more utility in almost the same package but I really like the design of the Bond :salute: If they can get the knife blade issue fixed then it will be a really great tool to carry in many parts of the world where the Rebar wouldn't be allowed :tu:

I have all the tools mentioned in the above title and I wouldn't mind carrying any of them :salute: I carry a lot of different tools and always try to find the pros of each carry rather than the cons  :cheers: Sometimes the cons of a tool do hinder its use but I still carry said tool as none of them are perfect and meant to get a person by :D If a MT can get me by with most situations then I am good with it and will carry it in my rotation :salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 12:21:39 PM
I agree with what's been said already.  I will add though that the Bond carries much more nicely than a Rebar when dropped in a pocket.  The weight, thinness and lack of locks all add up to being just a lot less noticeable in a front pocket.  (for me anyway, YMMV). That said, if all that is true of the Bond it goes double for a PST. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

de Offline garand2004

Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 12:26:00 PM
I agree with what's been said already.  I will add though that the Bond carries much more nicely than a Rebar when dropped in a pocket.  The weight, thinness and lack of locks all add up to being just a lot less noticeable in a front pocket.  (for me anyway, YMMV). That said, if all that is true of the Bond it goes double for a PST. :D

Thank´s for you add Gareth - and even more so for the PST II - I just enjoy the scissors

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 12:32:15 PM
Thank´s for you add Gareth - and even more so for the PST II - I just enjoy the scissors

It's a PST II I have on me right now as it happens.  :) Though I don't care for a combo serrated blade so I swapped it for a plain one.

IMG_20210523_232303004.jpg
* IMG_20210523_232303004.jpg (Filesize: 100.54 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 12:39:02 PM
In the Bond's defence I don't think it's hard to argue that it's screwdrivers are an improvement on the PST.  Nitram mentioned that the medium screwdriver on the Kick/Fuse/Blast is better for recessed screws (and he's right) but I've also managed to crack the tip off one of them and so I can see why it was beefed up on the Rebar/Bond.

fr Offline Frenchephaistos

Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 09:17:49 AM
It's a PST II I have on me right now as it happens.  :) Though I don't care for a combo serrated blade so I swapped it for a plain one.

(Image removed from quote.)
:drool:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69