Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pay it Forward, 2021 Edition!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Pay it Forward, 2021 Edition!
Reply #30 on: August 30, 2021, 08:49:54 PM
Ran into the same when I tried to send Fuzzy a knife. I went to another PO and labelled it as a mutitool instead, no problems with that. You could try labeling it as cutlery and see if that works.   :dunno:

I can see it right now:

"Cutlery?! CUTLERY?! Get the fork out o'here!"

:twak: :twak:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 30, 2021, 08:53:34 PM
My package to Surge was rejected by the post office because I wrote Buck Knife Gift Set as one of the items on the customs form and the postal clerk said they can't send weapons.  I said everything in the box is legal in the UK, but the clerk said "no exceptions!"  Should I try going to a different post office?  Change the wording on the customs form?  Use Fed Ex or UPS instead?  As a last resort I can mail surge a check and just tell him to buy whatever he wants, but that's not nearly as much fun as receiving a surprise package.  I need some help here and I'm open to suggestions.
 :dunno:
You may try just putting “Buck Gift Set” then going to a different post office.  It is amazing how interpretation of rules varies from one to another.  I will go out of my way to go to one post office over another because the one seems like they will do almost anything to make things more difficult.  I know that is not the case but it has felt like it the few times I went.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #32 on: August 30, 2021, 09:47:24 PM
You may try just putting “Buck Gift Set” then going to a different post office.  It is amazing how interpretation of rules varies from one to another.  I will go out of my way to go to one post office over another because the one seems like they will do almost anything to make things more difficult.  I know that is not the case but it has felt like it the few times I went.
I have replied to the PM that Alan sent me.

I looked through my US enabler section  :pok: :rofl: and saw that Aloha had described a Rebar & JPST as "Plier Multitool x2" (I couldn't find how Sherry had descibed the Mini  ::) )   

Perhaps it's the use of the word "knife" that has them awl panicking  :ahhh :think: :dunno:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #33 on: August 30, 2021, 09:56:28 PM
I will get this sorted, I promise you that.  Just tired of dealing with idiots. :facepalm:

* idiot.jpg (Filesize: 20.11 KB)

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: August 30, 2021, 10:02:27 PM
Camping tool and multitool should work, I personally favour camping tool and makr as a gift of course. Other more creative advice need not apply to our boy in the batman vest  :salute:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #35 on: August 30, 2021, 10:12:14 PM
Camping tool and multitool should work, I personally favour camping tool and makr as a gift of course. Other more creative advice need not apply to our boy in the batman vest  :salute:
What creative advice :twak: Do I need to alert our man in Langley* about you  :pok:

*NTBCW the US Langley (ours is an Intl Parcel Depot; yours, not so much...although  :whistle: )

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #36 on: August 30, 2021, 10:15:05 PM
Your reassurances have calmed me and I thank you all for that.  I'm sure I was more frustrated at having spent 40 minutes in line than in the package being rejected.  I know there's a way, and Surge will receive this package if I have to hitchhike across the Atlantic with it.  Don't worry, I'll wear me Wellies.  :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: August 30, 2021, 10:16:51 PM
What creative advice :twak: Do I need to alert our man in Langley* about you  :pok:

*NTBCW the US Langley (ours is an Intl Parcel Depot; yours, not so much...although  :whistle: )

I plead sheeplomatic immunity and then also take a the 5th   :drink:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #38 on: August 31, 2021, 02:29:18 AM
I have replied to the PM that Alan sent me.

I looked through my US enabler section  :pok: :rofl: and saw that Aloha had described a Rebar & JPST as "Plier Multitool x2" (I couldn't find how Sherry had descibed the Mini  ::) )   

Perhaps it's the use of the word "knife" that has them awl panicking  :ahhh :think: :dunno:
I think I put the Mini as handheld multitool or something similar.  I do think the word “knife” is what gets them, because too many people associate knife as weapon vice tool.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #39 on: August 31, 2021, 02:51:38 AM
My package to Surge was rejected by the post office because I wrote Buck Knife Gift Set as one of the items on the customs form and the postal clerk said they can't send weapons.  I said everything in the box is legal in the UK, but the clerk said "no exceptions!"  Should I try going to a different post office?  Change the wording on the customs form?  Use Fed Ex or UPS instead?  As a last resort I can mail surge a check and just tell him to buy whatever he wants, but that's not nearly as much fun as receiving a surprise package.  I need some help here and I'm open to suggestions.
 :dunno:
I'd change the wording on the customs form to "Camping Tools" or similar.
 Beware. I think the UK/Ireland customs form declarations has recently tightened up.  I sent a package to McStitchy in Ireland and it has bounced (on its way back to me in Oz).  We think it is because I didn't fill in the 10 digit TARIC code.  A previous package got through without said code a couple of months ago.  I suspect it is because of changed customs procedures since Brexit.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: August 31, 2021, 11:47:42 AM
I will get this sorted, I promise you that.  Just tired of dealing with idiots. :facepalm:

I once had a parcel stopped at customs. It contained some paracord, a fire steel, a Mora 501 and a S&W tactical pen. When I went there, to pick it up, I asked what was the reason it got flagged:

"Was it because of the Mora? The dimensions are perfectly legal and I'll just be using it at home."

The guy looked at me, raised an eyebrow, with a "what are we, stupid?!" look on his face and said:

"Of course not. It was because of the "tactical" pen."

I don't recall, but I think his t-shirt had this printed on:

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #41 on: August 31, 2021, 01:05:36 PM
What's a tactical pen? :shrug:
Is it used to write and sketch tactics?  :think:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: August 31, 2021, 01:26:29 PM
What's a tactical pen? :shrug:
Is it used to write and sketch tactics?  :think:

Just like a regular one. Only it's black and made by Smith & Wesson. A bit sturdier than ordinary pens.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #43 on: August 31, 2021, 11:40:25 PM
Just like a regular one. Only it's black and made by Smith & Wesson. A bit sturdier than ordinary pens.

There are a lot more tactical pens out there than the S&W ones.  I don't see the point of them myself, but to each their own.  Some actually feel really nice, so while I'll probably never use them to dispatch ninja attackers, I do appreciate them!

As for the rest, I always list something as a Camp Tool or Pocket Tool because you never know how some moron is going to interpret things.

Except that one time I sent a flash drive marked Death Star Plans to the UK and wrote on the declaration slip "PLANS FOR WORLD DOMINATION."

That's probably why Micky D hasn't been around in a while...  :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: September 01, 2021, 11:30:37 AM
There are a lot more tactical pens out there than the S&W ones.  I don't see the point of them myself, but to each their own.  Some actually feel really nice, so while I'll probably never use them to dispatch ninja attackers, I do appreciate them!

As for the rest, I always list something as a Camp Tool or Pocket Tool because you never know how some moron is going to interpret things.

Except that one time I sent a flash drive marked Death Star Plans to the UK and wrote on the declaration slip "PLANS FOR WORLD DOMINATION."

That's probably why Micky D hasn't been around in a while...  :ahhh

Def

Yes, lots of companies make them. I was describing mine. I like it because it's fairly big and heavy, it takes Parker refills and resists awl kind of abuse.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #45 on: September 01, 2021, 09:08:48 PM
Your reassurances have calmed me and I thank you all for that.  I'm sure I was more frustrated at having spent 40 minutes in line than in the package being rejected.  I know there's a way, and Surge will receive this package if I have to hitchhike across the Atlantic with it.  Don't worry, I'll wear me Wellies.  :cheers:
I think you might need a pair of waders and, possibly, some sort of hat  :dunno:

Don't worry, it'll get here when it gets here (after Customs and Royal Mail charges/delays etc  ::) )

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #46 on: September 11, 2021, 05:28:38 PM
Surge, your package is on its way. Sorry for the delay. The package weighs about 3 and 1/2 pounds (1.58kg) and it took some doing to find a pigeon that could still fly with that tied to it's leg. :cheers:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #47 on: September 11, 2021, 05:52:36 PM
Surge, your package is on its way. Sorry for the delay. The package weighs about 3 and 1/2 pounds (1.58kg) and it took some doing to find a pigeon that could still fly with that tied to it's leg. :cheers:

No need to apologise Alan. I'm sure I'll face similar obstacles when trying to fulfill my part of the bargain  :think: :dunno:

In future might I suggest an alternative avian based delvery method....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjFypu-offyAhUVnFwKHVVbB_gQtwJ6BAgLEAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DliIlW-ovx0Y&usg=AOvVaw3p9huiLC3nRYoMTwQlsAez

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: September 13, 2021, 01:26:13 PM
No need to apologise Alan. I'm sure I'll face similar obstacles when trying to fulfill my part of the bargain  :think: :dunno:

In future might I suggest an alternative avian based delvery method....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjFypu-offyAhUVnFwKHVVbB_gQtwJ6BAgLEAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DliIlW-ovx0Y&usg=AOvVaw3p9huiLC3nRYoMTwQlsAez

I was about to suggest just that. BTW, they're showing a few Carry On movies on the Memory channel, on the weekends.

:D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #49 on: September 23, 2021, 08:40:46 PM
Well, it's made its way to good ol' Blighty, having arrived at my friends house this morning  :mail: :mail: :mail:

Sadly, I won't be able to get my grubby little paws on it for at least a week due to work and life  ::)

However, my mate did take a pic' of the contents and I'm overawed :sa: :2tu:

Speaking of the next recipient...first to PM me their details gets the package next*

* Reminder: I won't have the package with me for at least a week and then I'll need time to go "hands on" with the contents and decide what to put in the box blah, blah etc  :pok:

A big thank you to "the Boss" for starting it up again & to awl who have participated (& those that will)  :tu:
Pay It Forward 0921c.jpg
* Pay It Forward 0921c.jpg (Filesize: 343.81 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #50 on: September 23, 2021, 08:53:51 PM
Looks like some cool stuff in there indeed!   :D

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #51 on: September 23, 2021, 09:01:39 PM
Looks like some cool stuff in there indeed!   :D

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!

Def
:like: :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: September 23, 2021, 10:22:54 PM
Crackin' haul there!  :tu:

At the risk of exposing myself to the consequences of about of year of online harrassment of Surgeyboi, I've sent my address  :facepalm:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #53 on: September 23, 2021, 10:41:55 PM
Crackin' haul there!  :tu:

At the risk of exposing myself to the consequences of about of year of online harrassment of Surgeyboi, I've sent my address  :facepalm:

I never expose myself, except whilst in Wales (where it's considered a standard introduction  :whistle: )

I shall present you with a box of delights accordingly, along with every single piece of junk mail I get between now and then (ask and ye shall recieve  :pok: :twak: )

:cheers: :drink: :tu: :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: September 23, 2021, 10:50:29 PM
I never expose myself, except whilst in Wales (where it's considered a standard introduction  :whistle: )

I shall present you with a box of delights accordingly, along with every single piece of junk mail I get between now and then (ask and ye shall recieve  :pok: :twak: )

:cheers: :drink: :tu: :salute:

IT WAS A SERIES WARDROBE MALFUNCTIONS.

I don't know if you working the border means I should be scared, or I'm about to get the best fruit not legally allowed in the country  :think:

I'm already terrified  :facepalm: :popcorn:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #55 on: September 23, 2021, 11:03:30 PM
IT WAS A SERIES WARDROBE MALFUNCTIONS.

I don't know if you working the border means I should be scared, or I'm about to get the best fruit not legally allowed in the country  :think:

I'm already terrified  :facepalm: :popcorn:
Be afraid. Be VERY afraid.... :viking: :viking: :viking:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #56 on: September 24, 2021, 12:52:55 AM
I'm glad it arrived.  :woohoo: Sending the next package to GF should be much easier since it will be local and I expect it will be much faster to arrive too, and I bet the postage won't be near as much as it was overseas.  Yes, per your PM, that is a Florida Marlins baseball cap. :D  Congratulations to GEAREDFORWARDS on being the next to receive the box of goodies.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #57 on: September 29, 2021, 08:23:29 PM
I'm glad it arrived.  :woohoo: Sending the next package to GF should be much easier since it will be local and I expect it will be much faster to arrive too, and I bet the postage won't be near as much as it was overseas.  Yes, per your PM, that is a Florida Marlins baseball cap. :D  Congratulations to GEAREDFORWARDS on being the next to receive the box of goodies.

Just a quick update (or not)  :dunno:

As I'm still working for the next few days I won't get my hands on the package until Monday next week (4th Oct) I'll then peruse the contents and decide what to add etc  :think:

Obviously, as it's going to GF and he lives in a foreign country (where they don't even have a nearby Waitrose*) it may take some time for the postal sheep to reach him  ;)

I shall, of course keep you awl (and GF) updated  :tu:

*The closest is in England :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: September 29, 2021, 08:47:04 PM
Just a quick update (or not)  :dunno:

As I'm still working for the next few days I won't get my hands on the package until Monday next week (4th Oct) I'll then peruse the contents and decide what to add etc  :think:

Obviously, as it's going to GF and he lives in a foreign country (where they don't even have a nearby Waitrose*) it may take some time for the postal sheep to reach him  ;)

I shall, of course keep you awl (and GF) updated  :tu:

*The closest is in England :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

I'll have you know it's there's one 30 minutes away from me by motorised sheepdog across the border into the post apocalyptic hellscape known as 'Cheshire', we're content by considering Marks and Sparks fancy thank you very much.

Be sure to include a return address, as postal sheep occasionally are substituted for the mighty Corgi battle mount, which are known to deliver vengeance stuff  :pok:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #59 on: September 29, 2021, 09:03:06 PM
I'll have you know it's there's one 30 minutes away from me by motorised sheepdog across the border into the post apocalyptic hellscape known as 'Cheshire', we're content by considering Marks and Sparks fancy thank you very much.

Be sure to include a return address, as postal sheep occasionally are substituted for the mighty Corgi battle mount, which are known to deliver vengeance stuff  :pok:
Look you, I wasn't aware that you had mastered the internal combustion engine in t' north of Cymru, isn't it :think:

I will include a return address, lest you be down t'pit (would you prefer it sent by Pit Pony express  :dunno: )

What's wrong with Chester? Awl the best footballers seem to love it. Mind you they are mostly are overpaid, over rated and over 'ere  :rofl:
With that in mind, bring on the 6 Nations where you will, ultimately, lose  :pok: :twak:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD