Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lightweight SAK for backpacking

Parsa · 21 · 1441

00 Offline Parsa

Lightweight SAK for backpacking
on: July 11, 2021, 10:08:41 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum.
I'm looking for a lighter weight all around tool for backpacking. My favorite EDC is a SAK Tinker. For camping I like to have the saw and all the things you can do with it, including fire starting. So my Hiker is the knife I usually take camping. However, it's a bit heavier than I'd like for multi-day backpacking. I'd like to lower the weight by as many grams as possible. I've been eyeing both the Small Tinker and the Evolution S111. However, these don't have the saw of course.
I have a Dremel bench press and lots of micro tools, including many types of micro drill bits. I was thinking I could possibly buy a Small Tinker and a model with a saw like the My First Victorinox Plus or Walker/Lumberjack, then reconstruct a small version of the Hiker. I'd probably need a referral from you to some nice how to videos and a source for the brass rods (I may already have some if I know the size).
Am I missing any lightweight models that might serve for this purpose?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: Lightweight SAK for backpacking
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 11:05:30 PM
Welcome.

This is one of my favorite questions  :cheers:

Based on your relatively simple and straightforward requirements

I'd say... get a Walker.

I suppose that your backpacking trips involve a fair amount of camping if you want to carry a saw.

If you want a saw, it doesn't get more lightweight than a Walker, really.  The combo tool will do the work of the opener layer in a pinch.

Most UL backpackers tend to go with a Classic, which is really as light as you can get... But you don't get a saw in that case

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 11:24:23 PM
Chuck Yeager used a Vic Executive.   :)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 11:27:09 PM

I'd say... get a Walker.

:iagree:  Seems to fit the specified tool requirements.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 11:37:09 PM
Um, hate to that guy, but Alox Farmer.

Next!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 12:23:35 AM
What tools would you like to have?

Knife, saw, combo tool and...? I see you mention the Hiker so I'm guessing backlayer tools too? Awl? Phillips?
That would complicate things a bit as you need backsprings that the my First Vic and Walker lack, as the backlayer tools require different springs.

00 Offline Parsa

Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 01:31:21 AM
What tools would you like to have?

Knife, saw, combo tool and...? I see you mention the Hiker so I'm guessing backlayer tools too? Awl? Phillips?
That would complicate things a bit as you need backsprings that the my First Vic and Walker lack, as the backlayer tools require different springs.

OK, here's the thing about the Walker... it has the wrong tools. I could actually probably live without the bottle cap opener and flat head screw driver. The can opener would be much more useful if I go in for a town resupply or do some car camping. When I was in the US Peace Corps, I used the can opener hundreds of times. Additionally, the Walker is missing what I consider one of the most useful backcountry and bushcraft tools: the awl-reamer. There are hundreds of things you can do with that tool outdoors.
(For my EDC I do like the various screwdrivers, but these not as important to me in camping. That's why I carry a Tinker for my EDC.)

Tools — If I were going to build my ultimate backpacking SAK (disregarding size) it would probably have these essential tools: a combination blade like on the Matterhorn variant of the Deluxe Tinker; a can opener, a saw, an awl-reamer, and a thin marlin spike like on the ALOX "Blue Marlinspike Series." In fact, if the Midshipman had an awl-reamer instead of the bottle opener it would be almost perfect.

The 85mm Wenger Serrated Backpacker isn't far off either. I might try to find a used one.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 01:41:25 AM by Parsa »

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 01:40:19 AM
The combo tool on the Walker will open cans.  It's a bit harder to pierce the can but the claw format of the can opener takes advantage of the leverage of the tool so it requires less force to use (I think) so it works out to a pretty decent tool for opening cans.  It does the job for tightening screws too.

The only thing you're missing is the awl

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 02:07:10 AM
If you're looking for a 3 layer SAK anyway, then why not an Alox farmer like Kirkie suggested?

You're looking to shave grams, how are you feeling this as a negative in your experience? Are you just pocket carrying your SAK? If that's the case then just putting the weight on your belt might be enough, or compromise on a Walker if the grams are really important to you.

Though I may be way off base, I'm not a lightweight guy and never really understood the mindset  :dunno:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 02:39:32 AM

If you're looking for a 3 layer SAK anyway, then why not an Alox farmer like Kirkie suggested?

The Farmer would seem to be a great choice, Parsa.   :tu:  I like your tool priorities!  :tu:

The awl is one of my favorites. And a saw can be darned useful; however, I think the saw length of 91mm, 111mm, or 130mm is more functional. The 84/85mm saws start to seem too small to me (sometimes the 91 seems too small). When camping/hiking, I really like having scissors. So a Climber or Huntsman or Farmer X gets my vote. Or...I add a 58/65mm SAK to my load. A Farmer/Camper + a Classic has worked for me in the past (and will again, I'm sure!). 

I totally get the "lighter is better" concept; however, I'm willing to make an exception for my knife(s). I feel I can carry a few extra grams to have the knife(s) I like. No one ever failed to complete the AT because the carried a Huntsman.

00 Offline Parsa

Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 03:45:18 AM
The Farmer is a great knife. I may look for one, especially if I can find a reasonably priced golden orange one.  ;)  The thing is, I already own a Hiker, which is pretty comparable, and lighter. I took a look at the specs on the 3 layer 84mm models (like the Salesman) and they come in at about 70 grams. My Hiker is only 77 grams, so I doubt if I'd be saving enough weight to make it worth my time to even modify one. The Farmer is about 9 grams heavier than my Hiker.

Here's my Hiker:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 12, 2021, 03:48:02 AM
A couple of thoughts…

You’ve mentioned a lot of uses of the awl and can opener, but no actual uses of the saw.  If you would be willing to consider doing without the saw, that gets you down to a Tourist or Sportsman.

Take a Farmer and remove the opener layer, leaving you with a slim 2-layer 93mm containing just the main blade, awl, and saw.  Toss a P-38 in your kit or attach it to your key chain to cover can opening duties, and you’re good to go.

As you may be aware, the corkscrew actually makes a pretty handy little marlin spike for things like bootlaces and paracord, or any other cordage that is smaller in diameter than the space between adjacent corkscrew turns.

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2021, 03:48:43 AM
The Farmer is a great knife. I may look for one, especially if I can find a reasonably priced golden orange one.  ;)  The thing is, I already own a Hiker, which is pretty comparable, and lighter. I took a look at the specs on the 3 layer 84mm models (like the Salesman) and they come in at about 70 grams. My Hiker is only 77 grams, so I doubt if I'd be saving enough weight to make it worth my time to even modify one. The Farmer is about 9 grams heavier than my Hiker.

Here's my Hiker:

(Image removed from quote.)

So... how many grams matter to you then?
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

00 Offline Parsa

Reply #13 on: July 12, 2021, 04:18:30 AM
A couple of thoughts…

You’ve mentioned a lot of uses of the awl and can opener, but no actual uses of the saw.  If you would be willing to consider doing without the saw, that gets you down to a Tourist or Sportsman.

Take a Farmer and remove the opener layer, leaving you with a slim 2-layer 93mm containing just the main blade, awl, and saw.  Toss a P-38 in your kit or attach it to your key chain to cover can opening duties, and you’re good to go.

As you may be aware, the corkscrew actually makes a pretty handy little marlin spike for things like bootlaces and paracord, or any other cordage that is smaller in diameter than the space between adjacent corkscrew turns.

The P38 is a good point. It's not like I'll be using a can opener all that often. A Lumberjack with an awl would probably weight about an ounce. That would be cool. Or an 84mm Tourist with the two openers replaced with a saw....

I've been thinking that the corkscrew may be better than the screwdriver. It would be more useful as a cord tool. I could even put one of those FireAnt Firestarters in there.

00 Offline Parsa

Reply #14 on: July 12, 2021, 04:19:34 AM
So... how many grams matter to you then?

I was just looking for trying to go lighter than my Hiker if possible, and wanted to know if there were options.  ;)

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 12, 2021, 04:32:38 AM
I was just looking for trying to go lighter than my Hiker if possible, and wanted to know if there were options.  ;)

Around here we're more inclined to say, what's a few grams? Take a back up SAK  :whistle:

00 Offline Parsa

Reply #16 on: July 12, 2021, 05:03:28 AM
Does anyone know what this knife is?

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 12, 2021, 05:07:58 AM

00 Offline Parsa

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 12, 2021, 05:28:35 AM
Does anyone know what this knife is?

(Image removed from quote.)
I’d say pick up a farmer and if it’s too bulky You’ll have all the parts you need to mod a bushcrafter  :tu:
Also welcome!  :hatsoff:

00 Offline Parsa

Reply #20 on: July 12, 2021, 06:52:54 AM
I’d say pick up a farmer and if it’s too bulky You’ll have all the parts you need to mod a bushcrafter  :tu:
Also welcome!  :hatsoff:

Thanks, I think you're right.  :iagree:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21