Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Power bank for cell phone

us Offline BadMechanic

Power bank for cell phone
on: July 12, 2021, 11:25:28 PM
Im not much of an electronics expert, so I come here begging for help  :ahhh

Im looking for a small power bank to keep my cell phone charged. Its mainly for work.

Any recommendations for your ol pal BM?  :cheers:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Power bank for cell phone
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 01:46:27 AM
If I ever get one I'll look to a thru-hiking forum for recommendations.
(I'm on one and they get talked about a bit)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 03:04:57 AM by Syncop8r »

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 02:25:10 AM
I've used Anker powerbanks for years, they're reliable, good quality and a compact size for their capacity relative to the year they're released.

This one would do you well:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Ultra-Compact-High-Speed-VoltageBoost-Technology/dp/B07QXV6N1B/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1NTO1ECQB0BZB&dchild=1&keywords=anker+power+bank&qid=1626135853&sprefix=anker+%2Caps%2C288&sr=8-2
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 04:21:44 AM
Thanks GF. Ill check out Anker.  :salute:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 05:18:53 AM
I second Anker.  There are many others that are good and will work, but Anker has been considered by many the best for several years.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 06:23:52 AM
Another Anker user here. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 06:44:22 PM
I’ve owned probably 5 or 6 different power banks from various manufacturers over the years.  Most seemed to work OK, with the following exceptions:

1.  Seller/manufacturer claims that a power bank is water resistant should be viewed with skepticism.

2.  Solar charging seems to be little more than a sales/marketing gimmick, i.e. even high levels of sunlight aren’t sufficient to keep a cell phone charged under light to moderate use.

3.  Battery level indication needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 07:35:31 PM
I’ve owned probably 5 or 6 different power banks from various manufacturers over the years.  Most seemed to work OK, with the following exceptions:

1.  Seller/manufacturer claims that a power bank is water resistant should be viewed with skepticism.

2.  Solar charging seems to be little more than a sales/marketing gimmick, i.e. even high levels of sunlight aren’t sufficient to keep a cell phone charged under light to moderate use.

3.  Battery level indication needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

1) Yeaaaah, maybe it's paranoia but imo powerbanks are an item that should be as far away from the possibility of saturation/immersion as possible. If out and about you can easily get a longer cable and route it out of your backpack to keep the pack safe but phone charging and to hand.

2) Solar chaging, do you mean the brick style banks that have an integrated panel? I think that's more intended as a trickle top up for the powerbank than anything else, it should still be charged from a source initially

3) Usually (though some have screens) the indication is very rough (4 lights for example) and this can get out of whack as the powerbank is used and the indicator gets out of sync with the batteries/the batteries naturally degrade with use. After some time you should get a 'feel' for how much power you actually have given regular use cases

I also like to carry those little USB circuit boards with LEDs soldered on, they're brighter than a phone's flash and fit in a wallet no problem, pairs great with a powerbank, particularly in a black out
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 07:51:10 AM
1) Yeaaaah, maybe it's paranoia but imo powerbanks are an item that should be as far away from the possibility of saturation/immersion as possible. If out and about you can easily get a longer cable and route it out of your backpack to keep the pack safe but phone charging and to hand.

2) Solar chaging, do you mean the brick style banks that have an integrated panel? I think that's more intended as a trickle top up for the powerbank than anything else, it should still be charged from a source initially

3) Usually (though some have screens) the indication is very rough (4 lights for example) and this can get out of whack as the powerbank is used and the indicator gets out of sync with the batteries/the batteries naturally degrade with use. After some time you should get a 'feel' for how much power you actually have given regular use cases

I also like to carry those little USB circuit boards with LEDs soldered on, they're brighter than a phone's flash and fit in a wallet no problem, pairs great with a powerbank, particularly in a black out

1.  This is more of a truth in advertising issue IMO.  If they are advertised and sold as not water resistant, fine.  But if they are advertised and sold as IP65 rated, then they ought to be able to handle being rained on (not submerged) without their functionality being compromised.

2.  I’ve had a brick style bank with a single panel, as well as a brick style bank with fold out panels (four panels total).  Both were initially given a full charge via wall outlet before going into the field.  Once in the field (and in spite of being exposed to sunlight virtually all day every day), neither solar array seemed to be able to keep up with the modest demand of one cell phone charge per day.  Hence, my statement that I believe the solar charging is more of a gimmick than a useful feature.  If anyone has had success using solar charging on an extended basis, I would be interested in learning the particulars.

3.  I agree the battery level indication is “very rough”.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 01:47:26 AM
OK I just saw a discussion about them in one, over 90% of people are recommending Anker and as far as solar goes they are saying it's not worth the extra weight (perhaps only a consideration for backpackers and not you).

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 07:14:30 PM
OK I just saw a discussion about them in one, over 90% of people are recommending Anker and as far as solar goes they are saying it's not worth the extra weight (perhaps only a consideration for backpackers and not you).
Interesting, thanks for sharing this.

Not sure if this was directed to me or the OP, but for my needs I would gladly deal with the extra weight if I could find a solar charger/array that would actually generate enough power to be useful under real world conditions.

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 08:02:05 PM
Interesting, thanks for sharing this.

Not sure if this was directed to me or the OP, but for my needs I would gladly deal with the extra weight if I could find a solar charger/array that would actually generate enough power to be useful under real world conditions.

I think for anything more than trickle charging you'd need a dedicated panel, probably more suitable for camping than EDC in general.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 10:54:25 PM

There was also a comment or two along the lines of solar might only be worth considering if you're somewhere like Arizona.

Mind you, backpackers/hikers are usually walking during the optimal solar part of the day, not charging their devices in the sun.
Is there such a thing as a solar hat?  :think:

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 16, 2021, 11:40:21 PM
There was also a comment or two along the lines of solar might only be worth considering if you're somewhere like Arizona.

Mind you, backpackers/hikers are usually walking during the optimal solar part of the day, not charging their devices in the sun.
Is there such a thing as a solar hat?  :think:

For hiking folks tend to just hand the panel on the back of their pack.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #14 on: July 16, 2021, 11:53:54 PM
Exactly.  The panel is just hanging on the pack or strapped to the top while they’re hiking.  They aren’t trying to make sure that they are setting it in a sunny spot at a good angle.

For hikers and backpackers, it would also be a question of panel size vs amount of power wanted vs weight/space.  For a weight conscious hiker, carrying a 5w panel and 10,000mAh bank isn’t going to be worth it, if they only need 20,000mAh and the panel weighs more or takes up more space than an additional power bank.

Whereas, if wanting for emergencies or car camping, the weight may not be as big of factor as the ability to generate extra power.

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 17, 2021, 01:41:14 AM
Exactly.  The panel is just hanging on the pack or strapped to the top while they’re hiking.  They aren’t trying to make sure that they are setting it in a sunny spot at a good angle.

For hikers and backpackers, it would also be a question of panel size vs amount of power wanted vs weight/space.  For a weight conscious hiker, carrying a 5w panel and 10,000mAh bank isn’t going to be worth it, if they only need 20,000mAh and the panel weighs more or takes up more space than an additional power bank.

Whereas, if wanting for emergencies or car camping, the weight may not be as big of factor as the ability to generate extra power.

I think there's a lot of mismatched expectations with solar panel chargers, they're a top up at most unless you're leaving hauling a significant sized panel around. Whenever small panels are included with chargers or sold for on the go, their main use case should be topping up powerbanks, which if you're on the go out in the sun your phone useage should be down anyway.

I do love solar stuff though, when we finally get our own property I want an array large enough to meet all of our needs.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #16 on: July 17, 2021, 03:17:44 AM

Plus they may be in forest for much of the day.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #17 on: July 19, 2021, 07:34:28 PM
I've had many, and for the most part they all seem to crap out on me.  I got one a while back, I think on Amazon, and it's still going strong.  No idea what brand it is, as there are no markings, but it has a digital readout on the front telling me how charged it is, and I very much like that.

Also it appears to have enough juice to completely charge my Galaxy Note twice.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #18 on: July 20, 2021, 01:13:08 PM

You're on another forum?! And you admit it?!

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #19 on: July 20, 2021, 01:17:11 PM
You're on another forum?! And you admit it?!
Well it's actually a Facebook group. Which is kinda like a forum with no organization.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #20 on: July 20, 2021, 01:32:41 PM
Well it's actually a Facebook group. Which is kinda like a forum with no organization.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #21 on: July 20, 2021, 01:34:05 PM
I advise you to keep it that way.  :salute:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: July 20, 2021, 04:02:15 PM

And no integrity, no history, no substance....

But then maybe I'm a bit biased....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #23 on: July 20, 2021, 10:49:58 PM
And no integrity, no history, no substance....
That's a biggie too, the same things get asked over and over. In a forum you often find your answer is already there.

But then maybe I'm a bit biased....
So you have no connection with the MTO Facebook group?  :pok:

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #24 on: July 20, 2021, 10:56:50 PM
I did end up buying the Anker. 20000mAh version for $50. Works great. Bought 2 so my wife could use one. Charges my phone way faster than an outlet

Thanks for the help. MTO to the rescue  :cheers:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #25 on: July 20, 2021, 11:01:44 PM
Oh yeah  :b2t:

I'm glad it works well and hope it does for many years.  :cheers:
And now I know what to get when I need one.

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 21, 2021, 12:10:51 AM
I did end up buying the Anker. 20000mAh version for $50. Works great. Bought 2 so my wife could use one. Charges my phone way faster than an outlet

Thanks for the help. MTO to the rescue  :cheers:

Fantastic that it's working out for you, if it's charging faster than an outlet then it's likely your outlet charger is low amp. Anker also make great plug in chargers that charge significantly quicker for cheap (about £8 here) if you're interested  :tu:

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #27 on: July 21, 2021, 02:35:28 AM
Fantastic that it's working out for you, if it's charging faster than an outlet then it's likely your outlet charger is low amp. Anker also make great plug in chargers that charge significantly quicker for cheap (about £8 here) if you're interested  :tu:

Thats what Im thinking (also starting to splice near one of the connections)

Coworker saw mine and he mentioned he had the same one (older version of it). He also brought up the higher charging cords/chargers.

Thanks again  :tu:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #28 on: July 21, 2021, 08:39:31 AM
Thats what Im thinking (also starting to splice near one of the connections)

Coworker saw mine and he mentioned he had the same one (older version of it). He also brought up the higher charging cords/chargers.

Thanks again  :tu:
Glad you are happy.  Anker cords and USB chargers are really nice.    Many of their chargers are specifically designed to provide the fastest charge that modern phones, tablets, etc can safely handle.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: July 21, 2021, 12:30:12 PM
That's a biggie too, the same things get asked over and over. In a forum you often find your answer is already there.
So you have no connection with the MTO Facebook group?  :pok:

Actually, believe it or not, I didn't start it.  It was started by a member here who saw the importance of having a group there when I didn't, and I'm glad he had the foresight to do it.

But we can discuss that in another thread- I don't want to hijack it with discussions about Zuckland.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%