Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Status of the 74mm line outside the US?

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Status of the 74mm line outside the US?
on: October 11, 2021, 06:47:21 PM
Can anyone confirm the worldwide status of the 74mm knives? I've seen several posts saying they're discontinued, but not an actual press release from Vic. They've disappeared from the US site (minus the Money Clip, which I assume is just clearing old inventory) but the full line appears to be available in Europe. Is this just a case of there being more inventory of them sitting around across the pond, or are they still in limited production for some markets?

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Re: Status of the 74mm line outside the US?
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 07:31:30 PM
A good question. I picked up a Black Executive on the off chance (I'm in the UK) but I hope others known more. The rumour of discontinuance is certainly there and a great shame if true.
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 10:59:09 PM
I was reliably told some time ago that production had ended, so what you see is remaining inventory.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 11:59:41 PM
Thanks Max  :salute:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 12:46:18 AM
Screenshot_20211015-184310.jpg
* Screenshot_20211015-184310.jpg (Filesize: 107.6 KB)
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 01:08:57 AM
The Victorinox US site doesn't even list any of the 74mm knives. 
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 05:32:23 PM
The 74mm line is an answer to a question no one asked.

You can go a little smaller (58mm) and get the same tools for half the weight, or you can go bigger (84-91mm) and have more options.   

I'm fine with seeing them go.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 08:46:41 PM

You can go a little smaller (58mm) and get the same tools for half the weight, or you can go bigger (84-91mm) and have more options.   

Indeed. I didn't eve know they existed until I joined BladeForums.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 09:20:19 PM

I'd never had a 74mm until I signed up for the December Chuck Yeager challenge.
I kinda like the 74mm size and would have loved to see a midi-champ.  I'd love to see a proper combo tool on the Executive.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 01:27:34 AM

Gotta disagree, I didn't know they existed until I joined MTO, I didn't even get one until preparation for the challenge this year, but having had 58mms since I was a kid it really is a difference. The size and weight makes them a more competent cutting tool for some tasks (longer blade makes some things easier, but that's not what I mean), I used the Executive to cut the plug off of an old tumble dryer, I'd never have used a 58mm for that and would have expected a decent chance of frame damage from doing such a thing. The Executive was unharmed and made it through all but the last bit of insulation in the first cut.

The tools are also not the same, the file on both the Executive and Ambassador are better than the one on the Classic for actually using on your nails, whilst the Executive is still better than the Minichamp's.

And then there's the mighty orange peeler!

But I do think they serve a niche as a more serviceable tool, without having to go all the way up to an 84 or larger.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 01:23:23 PM
 :iagree:

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 10:34:41 PM
Personally, I like the 74mm size, but the tool selection is a weak spot. 90% of the line (even when there were more than 3 of them) were basically bigger/shinier Classics. The main exception is the Executive, which ups the ante with the orange peeler. It's not a bad tool, but given the choice between it and the 58mm combo tool, it feels lacking. That mini-Phillips is just the right side for battery doors, and I get a fair amount of use out of the bottle opener.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 06:55:24 AM
I agree, the small number of 74mm tools that are availabe is a problem. I really like the 74mm models though and I am not the only one: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,40930.0.html
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 05:29:06 PM
I always thought it odd that they were the only size SAK without the option of a bottle opener (cap lifter).
- Steve

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #15 on: October 18, 2021, 05:33:45 PM
Personally, I like the 74mm size, but the tool selection is a weak spot. 90% of the line (even when there were more than 3 of them) were basically bigger/shinier Classics. The main exception is the Executive, which ups the ante with the orange peeler. It's not a bad tool, but given the choice between it and the 58mm combo tool, it feels lacking. That mini-Phillips is just the right side for battery doors, and I get a fair amount of use out of the bottle opener.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case.

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #16 on: October 18, 2021, 10:59:20 PM

That's why the rambler is in my pocket more often than the executive. :dunno:

ca Offline Altis

Reply #17 on: October 18, 2021, 11:20:52 PM

The next size up with scissors is the 91mm Compact, which is bigger, heavier, and twice the price. Otherwise you're into 3 layers, and no scissors on any current 84mm.

The 58mm is handy but 74mm improves all the tools considerably, which feels nicer in hand and to use, can do a bit more, and IMO looks better. It's a great alternative to the cellidor Classic SD, especially if you intend to use it rather than have it just-in-case... Always nice to have options.  :D

I was late to discover the Executive and am glad I got one while they were available. But then I'm also a SAK addict  :whistle:

ca Offline Altis

Reply #18 on: December 17, 2021, 03:28:18 AM
Alright so what the heck is going on?

Cabelas in Canada just ADDED the 74mm Ambassador and Executive to their online shop with the "NEW" tag ???

So... are they back in production? It seems odd that a major retailer would add something that's been discontinued for months. If nothing else, they're in stock at a normal price for people to pick them up -- Executive in black, as it ought to be  :hatsoff:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 17, 2021, 06:15:40 AM

Cabelas in Canada just ADDED the 74mm Ambassador and Executive to their online shop with the "NEW" tag ???

So... are they back in production? It seems odd that a major retailer would add something that's been discontinued for months. If nothing else, they're in stock at a normal price for people to pick them up -- Executive in black, as it ought to be  :hatsoff:

Thanks for the update.  :tu:

Maybe we were being fed bad or outdated info from the rumour mill.  :dunno:

Could just be a batching issue. Like they weren’t gonna make more until inventory was cleared out.

Or maybe we’ll see 74mm based scissors in 84mm frames now.  ;)

I guess time will tell on all counts.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ca Offline Altis

Reply #20 on: December 17, 2021, 09:14:37 AM
Thanks for the update.  :tu:

Maybe we were being fed bad or outdated info from the rumour mill.  :dunno:

Could just be a batching issue. Like they weren’t gonna make more until inventory was cleared out.

Or maybe we’ll see 74mm based scissors in 84mm frames now.  ;)

I guess time will tell on all counts.

It's a very strange situation. I thought it was all but a done deal with vendors selling out and no longer listing the 74mm line, including Victorinox themselves (at least in some countries). Now I see it show up as a new item and in stock  :think:

Also strange is that the same place sells the serrated Spartan, which I don't think Victorinox does directly, but they used to and I guess still do for certain places.

Here's to hoping the 74mm is brought back to life  :cheers:

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #21 on: December 17, 2021, 10:49:54 AM

I wonder if that is Cabela's only, like some Leatherman versions.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 17, 2021, 02:01:12 PM

These are my thoughts exactly after two weeks in the Chuck Yeager challenge. I even wrote almost the same words in some other thread on this forum about a week ago.  :cheers:

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #23 on: December 17, 2021, 02:50:38 PM
These are my thoughts exactly after two weeks in the Chuck Yeager challenge. I even wrote almost the same words in some other thread on this forum about a week ago.  :cheers:

Perhaps if someone had actually asked the question, the 74mm would have replaced the 84 - Just on the size alone, I find the Executive a far better idea than the 84, as the latter is nigh-on the exact same as the 91 so you might as well carry a 91... while 58s are cute as buttons, but too small for much outside of office-based urban EDC.

The 74 sits almost exactly at the mid-point between 58 and 91, is small enough to make a difference without being so small as to be as restrictive as the 58. Slim models could easily slip into small pockets and even wallets, while still being big enough to handle some more serious tasks.

The only downside to 74s IMHO is that they never developed beyond six very similar basic models with only a handful of tools... However, I do note that Wenger made slightly better use of their 65mm line with things like the Pocket Tech and Pocket Tool Chest, so I wonder if Vic stalled on the 74 to avoid the competition or something?

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 17, 2021, 03:35:45 PM
“Wenger made slightly better use of their 65mm line“

They made much better use of that line.

74mm is missing way too many features compared to even 58mm. Lites and pens are at the top of my list. But a combo tool and Phillips in the 0/1 range would make sense as well.

And if they made an in-line awl for it…there would be a lot of 74mm converts, I think.  :dunno:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 04:01:03 PM by kamakiri »
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #25 on: December 17, 2021, 03:42:55 PM

Though I prefer inline Phillips to awl, myself, I'd also like to see a can opener or even the combo, as it's one of my more essential SAK tools... and of course one mega model with loads of tools!
It might need to be made from more hefty materials and even end up costing a bit more than the 91mm equivalent, but it just seems so much better a fit than the 84mm.

ca Offline Altis

Reply #26 on: December 17, 2021, 10:13:18 PM
I wonder if that is Cabela's only, like some Leatherman versions.

You'd think they'd be marketed as such if that were the case, which is what they do with other brands that do Cabelas exclusives.

And if they're still in production, they're still in production, which would be great news to confirm.  :think:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 17, 2021, 11:27:14 PM
You'd think they'd be marketed as such if that were the case, which is what they do with other brands that do Cabelas exclusives.

And if they're still in production, they're still in production, which would be great news to confirm.  :think:

Agreed. And wouldn’t it have made sense to do a ‘final production run’ LE if it was done or going away permanently?  :dunno:

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #28 on: December 18, 2021, 12:05:28 AM

I don't know what to think. 

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #29 on: December 18, 2021, 12:30:40 AM
For what it's worth, Amazon currently has the Ambassador for $27 (USD).

Boomer Sooner!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD