Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are your knife laws?

Offline kjh1962

What are your knife laws?
on: November 02, 2021, 02:07:25 AM
I hope this will be a interesting discussion.

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/new-york/

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Re: What are your knife laws?
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 02:20:28 AM
Everyone in my area is required to carry a pocket knife at all times. Punishment for not having a knife is getting a hard time from the guy who lets you use his.  :whistle:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 03:13:10 AM
In Michigan, a double-edged OTF automatic is a no-go, and carrying a fixed blade concealed is illegal. Oddly, I believe there is also a prohibition on having a knife on your person while you're in a vehicle. Otherwise, if you stay out of Detroit and Lansing, you have little to worry about.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 05:06:40 AM
General carry: under 3 inches and folds with no lock

With just reason (work for example): Anything that isn't on the forbidden weapons list, which includes all autos (flick knives), hidden or disguised knives, katanas etc.

Realistically you want to carry something that looks harmless to the easily scared/offended, and regardless of the legality using something in public or carrying something to the football or a pub is just a bad idea.

Unfortunately depending on your appearance you may enjoy a reasonable chance of freedom without being searched by an officer of the law.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

Offline kjh1962

Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 05:47:38 AM
In NY a stiletto is legal.  :dunno:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 07:22:07 AM

With just reason (work for example): Anything that isn't on the forbidden weapons list, which includes all autos (flick knives), hidden or disguised knives, katanas etc.

Realistically you want to carry something that looks harmless to the easily scared/offended, and regardless of the legality using something in public or carrying something to the football or a pub is just a bad idea.

Unfortunately depending on your appearance you may enjoy a reasonable chance of freedom without being searched by an officer of the law.
So if you're a ninja by profession and need to use a katana for work you're just out of luck then?

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 08:37:52 AM
Yes, things aren't ideal in Great Britain/the United Kingdom. They could be a little worse, though. What the ninjas are to do, I'm not sure. I'd hedge a bet that shurikens are also illegal there.

Edit: a link to Michigan's knife laws is below. I find it odd that one case study mentions that the case in question was kicked off by a stop for "loud exhaust."

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/michigan/
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 08:46:05 AM by Farmer X »
USN 2000-2006

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 08:45:10 AM
 :popcorn:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 09:45:08 AM
https://polisen.se/en/laws-and-regulations/firearms/knives-and-other-dangerous-articles/

If you can justify it it's alright. No tacticool monsters or things that have a purpose of hurting someone but if you are an average Joe there are no problems at all. If you are a somewhat suspicious person you can't even have a screwdriver on you

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 02:18:08 PM
https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/pennsylvania/

Pennsylvania prohibits automatic knives, but otherwise is pretty open outside of Philadelphia, which essentially bans the carry of knives.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #12 on: November 02, 2021, 02:51:23 PM

So... we're talking 'bout shoes, now?!

??? ???

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 02:54:36 PM
I remember reading about several guys who got arrested and charged for a simple buck knife in new york.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 07:30:10 PM

:iagree:

I have to enforce the UK laws on import (which is a whole different game) but I also had to do the same, on the street, prior to this  ::)

It is difficult to explain to someone outside of the UK (who hasn't had to live through all the background)  :think:

Essentially we (UK) have a problem with idiots using cheap kitchen/carving knives (and bizarre Klingon/Zombie type combinations) to kill or maim innocent people  :td: >:(

I and others have posted comments on other threads about the same issue but, whilst not actual legislation, the HH site has a pretty good grasp on this theme that may be of use to awl visiting this sceptered isle;

https://heinnie.com/blog/clarifying-uk-knife-law/   :salute: :cheers:

They don't like it up 'em!

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #15 on: November 02, 2021, 07:43:59 PM
Dutch law:
All weapons are illegal, except for military and police.

Some knives are considered weapons:
- double edged blades
- autos
- butterflies

Carrying knives that are not considered weapons may still be illegal, depending on why and where you carry them.
Carrying a fixed blade is illegal as well, owning it isn´t.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #16 on: November 02, 2021, 08:57:04 PM
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 09:05:10 PM by pa_strunk »
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #17 on: November 02, 2021, 09:58:20 PM
Is it still against the law in Texas to carry a Bowie knife?  A knife made famous by one of the heroes of the Alamo?!?!!

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #19 on: November 03, 2021, 01:37:49 AM
Georgia (U.S.) knife law
Any knife having a blade measuring 12 inches or less may be freely carried. 

us Offline Adam5

Reply #20 on: November 03, 2021, 02:34:28 AM
https://www.tektogear.com/blogs/news/north-carolina-state-knife-laws-updated-2021-is-it-legal-to-carry-a-knife

Only knives that are illegal in North Carolina are ballistic, spring-loaded automatic knife or switchblade.
All knives are (in most cases) to be open carried except for pocket knives.
A pocket knife is considered to be:
"A small knife, made to carry in a pocket or purse, which has its cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by the handle, and that may not be opened by a throwing, explosive, or spring action."

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 03, 2021, 02:41:09 AM
https://www.tektogear.com/blogs/news/north-carolina-state-knife-laws-updated-2021-is-it-legal-to-carry-a-knife

Only knives that are illegal in North Carolina are ballistic, spring-loaded automatic knife or switchblade.
All knives are (in most cases) to be open carried except for pocket knives.
A pocket knife is considered to be:
"A small knife, made to carry in a pocket or purse, which has its cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by the handle, and that may not be opened by a throwing, explosive, or spring action."

Ah yes switchblade laws. Banning a knife because it “opens scary.” I guess that’s a lot of knife laws honestly.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 03, 2021, 04:05:11 AM
Ah yes switchblade laws. Banning a knife because it “opens scary.” I guess that’s a lot of knife laws honestly.
Yes.  All smoke and mirrors and theatre and foolishness.

Consider that even in most places that essentially ban all knives (e.g. commercial air travel), items like medium-size screwdrivers and stout hickory walking canes are still allowed.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #23 on: November 03, 2021, 07:48:58 AM
Dutch law:
All weapons are illegal, except for military and police.
Not that I'm trying to throw a lit match into a pool of gasoline here...but what else is considered a "weapon" under Dutch law?

I've noticed that there is a lot of ambiguity in knife legislation, too. See, as a case in point, the last paragraph in ATKI's approved definition of "dagger:"

https://www.akti.org/resources/akti-approved-knife-definitions/#dagger
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: November 03, 2021, 11:36:38 AM
Never knew Tennessee knife laws because I have never had a problem but apparently we really don't have any is why :dunno: :D

It is legal to own any type of knife in Tennessee including automatic, ballistic, switchblade, butterfly and “assisted opening” knives. There are no restrictions on the blade length of any knife being carried. Further, Tennessee makes no distinction between open and concealed carry of knives.

Machete open carry here I come :woohoo:

:rofl: Not really ::) but you guys had me curious to our knife laws and I guess since 2014 they have even lifted a law that said no blade length over 4 inches  :ahhh

Of course there are plenty of no knife zones such as schools, government buildings and the like :salute:

Checking further ages under 18 can't buy certain knives and 16 and under also have a few extra restrictions  :salute:

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #25 on: November 03, 2021, 02:17:16 PM
Never knew Tennessee knife laws because I have never had a problem but apparently we really don't have any is why :dunno: :D

It is legal to own any type of knife in Tennessee including automatic, ballistic, switchblade, butterfly and “assisted opening” knives. There are no restrictions on the blade length of any knife being carried. Further, Tennessee makes no distinction between open and concealed carry of knives.

Machete open carry here I come :woohoo:

:rofl: Not really ::) but you guys had me curious to our knife laws and I guess since 2014 they have even lifted a law that said no blade length over 4 inches  :ahhh

Of course there are plenty of no knife zones such as schools, government buildings and the like :salute:

Checking further ages under 18 can't buy certain knives and 16 and under also have a few extra restrictions  :salute:

You anywhere near Sevierville?  :whistle:
I make a pilgrimage to my favorite store there every year. Probably accounts for half of my vacation expenses  :facepalm:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: November 03, 2021, 02:21:00 PM
I live a couple hours from SMKW and do try to get up there at least a couple times a year ;) :D

Tennessee is the knife collecting capital of the world (or at least I have read that somewhere :think: ) :woohoo:

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #27 on: November 03, 2021, 02:49:43 PM
Is it still against the law in Texas to carry a Bowie knife?  A knife made famous by one of the heroes of the Alamo?!?!!

Only if it is over 5 1/2 inches. I guess this does not bother me since I do not carry a Bowie or Rambo gear too often.  :dunno:
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: November 03, 2021, 03:41:01 PM
Come to Tennessee where we don't have that silly restriction apparently :dunno: :rofl:

Never knew this til today :facepalm: :D

Guess that is why I see people with huge fixed blades in town sometime :D

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #29 on: November 03, 2021, 04:46:46 PM
I live a couple hours from SMKW and do try to get up there at least a couple times a year ;) :D

Tennessee is the knife collecting capital of the world (or at least I have read that somewhere :think: ) :woohoo:
Nice  :like:

You guys do seem to have a lot of knife stores, I might have to retire there one day  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%